TheStalkerMonk

How tall is the character?

I'm asking because i try to get use to play 1st person, in case 3rd person goes away....from what i saw so far i feel the character is like 4.5 to 5 feet high...just to say from the looks of things in general the character is not a 6 footer for sure.

Also......did they replace all the heli crash by hay stack???

I'm asking because i try to get use to play 1st person, in case 3rd person goes away....from what i saw so far i feel the character is like 4.5 to 5 feet high...just to say from the looks of things in general the character is not a 6 footer for sure.

Hicks has confirmed multiple times now that 3PP will never go away.

• Like 1

The character is about 6 feet tall , but the camera is centered in his throat it seems ...

• Like 3

The character is about 6 feet tall , but the camera is centered in his throat it seems ...

It got moved a few patches back.  Its right at the eyes now.

• Like 3

The character height is 1.8 meters.

Protip, you can easily check your character's camera has been placed correctly by walking up to another player in 1st person... if the camera is in the neck as some claim, other players would appear to tower over you. If the camera is at eye level, other players' eyes will appear at the same height as yours. Simple.

• Like 9

The character height is 1.8 meters.

Protip, you can easily check your character's camera has been placed correctly by walking up to another player in 1st person... if the camera is in the neck as some claim, other players would appear to tower over you. If the camera is at eye level, other players' eyes will appear at the same height as yours. Simple.

Protip 2: Don't try this when playing lone wolf.

• Like 9

What does that gif have to do with the 1PP camera?

In first person the view would be underwater when the trees in the background go blue despite the water never rising to eye level. Therefore, the camera is below eye level. It's just a theory but the first person camera seems low to me.

I tried to go back to the same spot and switch between views but I couldn't stand in the same place to recreate it unfortunately as my character kept on swimming. Next time I can recreate I will do both views.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 3

/fit/ was right, being shorter than 6' sucks.

tfw when 6'1ft master race

Edited by aasand
  • Like 2

In first person the view would be underwater when the trees in the background go blue despite the water never rising to eye level. Therefore, the camera is below eye level. It's just a theory but the first person camera seems low to me.

I cannot confirm this on 0.58 though. Whenever I compare views the first person camera is sitting firmly in the middle of my characters face - at the lowest it might be nose level but thats a pretty small difference - in fact testing with a strange container in the woods near Elektro suggests eyes and first person camera a perfectly aligned in height (obviously the camera sits between your characters eyes) though "under water" seems to take into account your nose instead. My theory is that third person players are used to playing with the camera pointed downwards and as your character leans forward this will cause a lower camera position in first person.

Other than this characters seem to be on the taller side (>1.80m) if you compare them to buildung doors for example.

• Like 1

Walk up to a picture hanging on a wall in a house. Note height. View in other camera, notice it is the same. Profit.

Edited by klesh
  • Like 2

Randomized player height would be cool.

It would need to be randomized rather than player controlled though as otherwise everyone would be tiny.

It would need to be randomized rather than player controlled though as otherwise everyone would be tiny.

If my character happened to be shorter than 6 foot I would jump off the crane right after spawn.

Not gonna play as a manlet.

• Like 1

Bof bof , hum even if that realistic and nice :P

if there is random height -> a loot of issues to aim corectly in houses for exemple , or balance (big tall guys than skinny little -> all player wanted to kill take the second one :/ )

Thus world become an asian world... (that not so fake ^^ )

Balance-wise realism could become handy again. Size could have the following (minor) effects:

• require more food
  • bigger hitbox
  • higher running speed
  • lower acceleration
  • more reach on melee attacks and world interactions

If those effects are relatively balanced and characters get a random size on respawn it would rather increase diversity than give advantages to lucky players. Overall it would make for a more authentic world where people are not of the same height all the time which might even be expanded on by making males taller than females (on average).

Balance-wise realism could become handy again. Size could have the following (minor) effects:

• require more food
  • bigger hitbox
  • higher running speed
  • lower acceleration
  • more reach on melee attacks and world interactions

If those effects are relatively balanced and characters get a random size on respawn it would rather increase diversity than give advantages to lucky players. Overall it would make for a more authentic world where people are not of the same height all the time which might even be expanded on by making males taller than females (on average).

Females should run slower, get tired faster, could lift less weight, have more recoil while shooting and bleed every month.

Players shorter than 6' should not be able to get items from top shelves. Some players should have spawn with AIDS and die randomly, some spawns with bad heart or asthma. Reduced vision because some need glasses. Some need to find pills for them or they will die.

...nah, realism sucks.

• Like 2

Either the majority of the buildings are disproportionate or the characters are too big as they barely seem to fit through doorways or their heads are hitting the top of the door frames.  

...nah, realism sucks.

If you overdo it - yes. Otherwise it makes the game more interesting and all I wrote above was specifically meant to be only of minor impact and on a continuous scale without making the character significantly stronger or weaker overall. In the best case every height is equally strong but a little different and not being able to choose from the start can help smoothing out minor imbalances.

The gender thing is more difficult as the nature of games usually tends to lean towards masculine-oriented gameplay where male characters naturally have an advantage so I would keep it equal between males and females maybe aside from average size and its implications. It's a matter of how healthy a certain feature would be for gameplay. In DayZ size has potential, gender based stat differences probably not.

Edited by Evil Minion

If you overdo it - yes. Otherwise it makes the game more interesting and all I wrote above was specifically meant to be only of minor impact and on a continuous scale without making the character significantly stronger or weaker overall. In the best case every height is equally strong but a little different and not being able to choose from the start can help smoothing out minor imbalances.

The gender thing is more difficult as the nature of games usually tends to lean towards masculine-oriented gameplay where male characters naturally have an advantage so I would keep it equal between males and females maybe aside from average size and its implications. It's a matter of how healthy a certain feature would be for gameplay. In DayZ size has potential, gender based stat differences probably not.

I think height should stay same for everyone.

Almost all bandits already choose to play as african-american (sometimes as the girl for smaller hit boxes) for natural camouflage. And seeing all bandits being 5'6'' to that will be lolz overkill.

If my character happened to be shorter than 6 foot I would jump off the crane right after spawn.

Not gonna play as a manlet.

Lol, but a lot of players given the choice would choose to be tiny given that it makes them a smaller target.

I have been thinking about this while playing lately. I think a lot of it has to do with plant height.

Plant height doesn't correspond to its form. So the grass is up to elbows, which is possible, but it would need a much more bushy form to get to that heights, or it would flop over in wind. It's like this with many plants and bushes. Same with the yellow parsnip (I think), it's over 6 feet (which is possible), but its form looks like a plant 4 feet maybe.

It might have to do with the over all de-cluttering of Chernarus to Chernarus +, which I think looks great, but this might be a side affect to plant spacing.

Edited by Coheed_IV
  • Like 1

Yeah. No one liked that haystack, it was an asshole. 

Maybe that was a spelling/grammar mistake, or a language thing, but that part gave me a chuckle. 

To be serious, maybe it has something to do with your aspect ratio? Make a screenshot with Steam, upload it, and then link the url to the picture. 

Hicks has confirmed multiple times now that 3PP will never go away.

What did that have to do with what he was talking about?

Edited by Deadjuice