Sign in to follow this  
Bsur

winter clothing = some snow areas in the future?

does the new winter clothing as seen here: http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/436072181615847867/D74CBD498E131894BFD49EC37254E58FB888159E/hint at snow areas being added in the future?

No, I think it hints at tropical islands being added to Chernarus in the future. :rolleyes:  

• Like 3

No, I think it hints at tropical islands being added to Chernarus in the future. :rolleyes:  

God damn it, Rick. Keep doing what you do.

I don't think we'll get a snowy area of Chernarus since the devs have said they're not expanding the map any further (they're just adding new villages and such) but I think it's possible that we'll get a whole new map that has snowy areas. It might also be for the benefit of community maps that have snowy areas.

Alternatively it just makes sense to have winter clothing. We keep coats and whatnot in the summer, after all, so it makes sense that hunters would have gear for all seasons.

Yeah, I thought I'd read that snow wasn't planned for SA proper, but that mods might give it a whack. Chernarus seems to be in late fall from the foliage and temperature, so winter clothing can be helpful. Recall a few months back when they made some changes to the temperature and everyone was getting hypothermic within minutes of spawning and freezing to death? That winter clothing will come in handy for servers set on colder levels.

They've said the engine can't do like snow on the floor etc but a retex of current foliage and grass and buildings to show just a light dusting of snow on them would create a general green/white ambience that winter camo would work in

Mind you it would help if the hunting jackets, including the winter one, were actually waterproof. Oh, and if the summer one (the summer one) didn't make you overheat within minutes...

• Like 1

Considering how the plant life and such looks like we are in the middle of autumn, having some "warmer clothing" actually makes sense, as it could (and would) get relatively cold, both at night and during the day (sometimes).

In New England (which is VERY similar to Chernarus, in terrain, plant life, geography and latitude), in Autumn, it can range from "nice warm sunny day" to "holy fuck why did it get so cold!?" in a couple hours or so. Not even counting wind or weather

Well I'm sure that if the wanted to then BI could contact and work with the guy who retextured Chernarus to winter.

Or its just up to the community itself to port it in.

The video demonstrates the map and the download link (Armaholic download link) is in the description.

https://youtu.be/g1_DsrdilUM

Edited by Owen.

it sure would be interesting if there was winter/blizzards.....imagine running into other players when you can only see 20ft in front of you.

just dreaming here.

Hello there

It doesnt have to snow to be cold.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

It doesnt have to snow to be cold.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

it has to snow for white clothes to be camo

• Like 3

Hello there

And what does it have to do for Pink clothes to be camo?

EDIT: JK, if I remember correctly the British Army experimented with pink camo for desert warfare.  Something about pink not registering to the eye in those conditions.

Edited by BigMike
  • Like 2

And what does it have to do for Pink clothes to be camo?

what pink clothes have you seen with a hunter name and a camo pattern on them? obviously not meant for camo, where as the HUNTER clothing is...

Edited by hooligun

Just because it exists does not mean it HAS to be useful right this moment.  AFAIK there's no difference between 'warmness' of the hunter pants,  (IE Winter pants being warmer than summer pants) it's all purely cosmetic differences.

It's been said in the past, seasons will be more of it'll be cold in the game when it's winter IRL, hotter during the summer, ect.  I think the only way we'll get 'snowy' areas is if they make retextures of the current map for each season that they change out when it gets to be that time of the year.

Keep in mind we'll eventually be able to dye clothing, I can imagine when that patch comes out they'll set 'non camo' clothing to have a very high spawn rate (including the 'useless' winter hunter pants).

Hello there

Hello there

One might want to be discrete in a sugar factory.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 3

Nobody has mentioned Namalsk? Wasn't there a screenshot of a snowy map in SA in an old status report (can't remember how old it was) hinting the addition of Namalsk/ some other winter map?

Nobody has mentioned Namalsk? Wasn't there a screenshot of a snowy map in SA in an old status report (can't remember how old it was) hinting the addition of Namalsk/ some other winter map?

They were showing how modding is possible , they just quickly ported namalsk into SA , so technically modders can do it but the devs themselves said they won't do it officially .. But it does prove to An extent that snow textures ARE possible on standalones engine , and that was at least 3-4 months ago !

Textureing snow isn't the problem.  The problem would be dynamic snow.  IE Grass is green, starts to snow, and now the grass is covered with snow.  Unlike Namalisk where it has VERY high mountains on an island way up north, Chenarus doesn't have mountains that are high enough that snow would form on the tops while it's summer/fall down bellow.  Therefor there wouldn't be 'snowy areas' in Chenarus unless it was winter, and most if not all of the map would be covered in snow.

There is actually "snow" in experimental 0.58.  

I know a lot of people dismiss this as a graphical glitch, but I am not so sure.  The snow is in a remote, high altitude northern region (exactly where you would expect it) and covers a large area of the map.  I went up there to check it out myself, and I noticed that all the ground cover (all the low ferns etc.) disappears in the "snow" area, so it's not just the ground getting a blank texture.  There is a possibility that the devs are experimenting here.

EDIT:  It's not dynamic snow.  But they have to start somewhere, right?

EDIT2:  My character is there atm, so I can post screenshots if there's anything you specifically want to look at.

Edited by The Feral Kid

Hmm, might be possible but I still think it's a glitch because it just looks like a blank texture rather than a 'snow' texture.  There's also the fact that it's perfectly edged and 'in the middle' of the map in what looks like a depression rather than up on a mountain top or the top of the map.  The would also more than likely tell us that 'hey guy's we're working on a snowy area, go to (coordinates) and check it out, tell us what you think.

It does tell me that a lot of things would still work if they just did a 'cheat' to add seasons by texturing the map, IE footsteps and roads, and for the most part it would look alright.

There is actually "snow" in experimental 0.58.  

I know a lot of people dismiss this as a graphical glitch, but I am not so sure.  The snow is in a remote, high altitude northern region (exactly where you would expect it) and covers a large area of the map.  I went up there to check it out myself, and I noticed that all the ground cover (all the low ferns etc.) disappears in the "snow" area, so it's not just the ground getting a blank texture.  There is a possibility that the devs are experimenting here.

EDIT:  It's not dynamic snow.  But they have to start somewhere, right?

EDIT2:  My character is there atm, so I can post screenshots if there's anything you specifically want to look at.

It's very hard to say if it's a bug because there's a clear error right at the start of the game about some texture .rvmat or does the error come just because the snow isn't ready.

But I highly doubt that it's intentional because the error message is this and the area is tiled:

Ea2EAVg.jpg

Edited by St. Jimmy

it just looks like a blank texture rather than a 'snow' texture. 

It's not *just* a blank texture though, because all the low ground cover is also gone from the affected area.

It does tell me that a lot of things would still work if they just did a 'cheat' to add seasons by texturing the map, IE footsteps and roads, and for the most part it would look alright.

Yeah it's surprising how it's not too bad looking for "just a bug."  

Sadly, I have since seen a dev tweet that it is indeed "just a bug."

Was gonna say just by the texture itself it was a bug.  If they were going to test 'snow' they wouldn't be that cheap and have just a blank white texture.  They'ed recycle an old texture or have one of their guys who are in essence doing nothing to help with the current build make one.  Like how when they don't have a gun they need to add in to the next patch they're working on their own little projects fo what they'ed like to add in, IE the Red 9 or the M1 Garand Models.