Sign in to follow this  
treetop82

dropped weapons

Ok, over 1000 hours here. 

Can someone explain to me the logic in the change to having a weapon placeholder in your inventory? (for the newest players) Last patch, if you had a weapon in your inventory, then you armed it, it reserved those spaces in your backpack so that when the weapon was disarmed, the weapon would return and not drop to the ground.

I have dropped and lost over 5 good weapons, either getting into vehicles or just when running and having added items to my backpack. 

Does anyone else find this terribly annoying? I see it as a amateur dev move to remove something like this.

At least add a sound effect of a weapon hitting the ground when you accidentally drop one. 

• Like 3

It is about inventory management. If you need to carry a hidden gun in your pack, then you need to leave 12 slots open (or more for pump shotgun). If you fill one of those spots, either absent mindedly or on purpose, you weapon will no longer fit and will drop to the ground. It does not seem like a mistake, but more of another layer of survival tactic. You need to make a decision, are the beans really worth losing your gun?

I feel they should only allow pistols to be in the back pack and you would need to take extra time getting them out. If you want them on the hotbar, then they should be in a holster.  

• Like 1

Yeah but I can't manage how items get dropped into my inventory, unless I open the screen every time I pick up a can of beans , nor can I rearrange my slots without dropping clothes to the ground and picking them back up. When I log out and back in, all the items are rearranged anyway. Drop an item on the ground, it may never reappear.

If we are trying to simulate something, and have some realism involved, then my character would know when he drops a weapon on the ground or seek to avoid it.

The system they had worked, or I would at least ask them to bring back the ability to reserve slots to certain items. It's terribly annoying at the moment and doesn't make much sense.

Yeah but I can't manage how items get dropped into my inventory, unless I open the screen every time I pick up a can of beans , nor can I rearrange my slots without dropping clothes to the ground and picking them back up. When I log out and back in, all the items are rearranged anyway. Drop an item on the ground, it may never reappear.

If we are trying to simulate something, and have some realism involved, then my character would know when he drops a weapon on the ground or seek to avoid it.

The system they had worked, or I would at least ask them to bring back the ability to reserve slots to certain items. It's terribly annoying at the moment and doesn't make much sense.

If your backpack is completely filled whenever you log, the items will not rearrange when you log back in.

What you could do, is just go pick up random junk when you log, and chunk that shiz when you log back in, whenever that might be.

Its always good to check your inventory when you put a weapon away especially if you have a number of weapons

My weapons

Model 70  stored on shoulder (hot key 1)

Ak74 SU  stored inside mountain pack (hot key2)

FNX45 stored in Field Jacket (hot key3)

As an example If you have the Ak74SU out and you store it in your pack and your pack is otherwise full and you start looting that something that you looted could end up in the space you have reserved for the Ak74SU. . When you decide to stow the Ak74SU it will end up on the ground. Remember two objects can not occupy the same space at the same time  

Always be mindful of how many slots you have open so you won't be trading a can of beans for a MP5 or AK74SU. a good plan is to put your weapons away before you loot 

Edited by Xbow

Be alert, be prepared, and above all, be cautious.

A person with over a thousand hours should know this.

• Like 1

I understand the fear of not paying attention to slots and accidentally dropping something like a MP5K or AKSU, because you shoved some peaches in the way. 
Whenever I find a high capacity vest, I put my submachine gun into it, and put that last in order in my inventory. It fills the vest completely, and I rarely have to worry about accidentally clicking loot into it.   

Be alert, be prepared, and above all, be cautious.

A person with over a thousand hours should know this.

And a thousand posts. Nice timing.

I understand the idea behind this and the idea is not bad, the implementation is  though as as a player you dont have control over it. Items picked up are placed where they shouldnt be and this causes the place for the weapon to not exist and its instead placed on the ground. Sometimes the weapon then dissapear and cannot be retrieved. This happens every time I play in one way or another. Often dissapeared items can be found in the vicinity as they are usually placed somewhere. But if you have already moved away from the area when you noticed your item is gone it can be extremely frustrating.

Ofcourse these situations can be avoided if you are very meticulous with your inventory.

I like how this guy is getting flamed for making both a valid and sensible complaint. The new system is stupid, and feels janky. Thankfully, it's still being worked on. It'll be fine in the end, but for now, I agree with the OP 100%.

• Like 3

This has had to have happened to everyone. While this system is better, something should be done to indicate your dropping.

How could this be avoided? I think they will eventually go with throw instead of drop. Sound would be nice too.

That might seem like a pain now, but eventually picking up, dropping, arranging will be easier, faster, and more intuitive.

Or you could just be mindful. Not have your secondary stored at the top of your inventory where you're going to be dropping loot. Don't grab loot when you know you should have a full inventory but your weapon is drawn. I have not done this once and I'm running an AK74U in an improvised pack with a packless Smersh vest. Pay attention.

The slots should be reserved as they were previously. If we're talking realism, then I am gonna automatically know whether I have the space left for a weapon and not put things in it. I'm likely going to have specifically put aside space for that weapon. It was working perfectly before and as the old adage goes, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

At least add a sound effect of a weapon hitting the ground when you accidentally drop one. 

All for it.  'Clatter clatter' and you know it, so does anyone within short earshot ;).

But as to actually dropping it: always organise your inventory for accessability and for looting.  When looting i'm always sure to have a few +4 +6 empty spaces in my inventory should i need it, where you can.

Edited by q.S Sachiel

The slots should be reserved as they were previously. If we're talking realism, then I am gonna automatically know whether I have the space left for a weapon and not put things in it. I'm likely going to have specifically put aside space for that weapon. It was working perfectly before and as the old adage goes, "If it's not broken, don't fix it."

im confused if you want the old system back or your liking the new?

Are you saying you like using your brain and remembering to save space? Or you want the game to remember for you?

I think it's slightly unintentional.  They redid the way the inventory works, and in a way it's better but this is an unfortunate side effect.

The way it is actually better is, it's no longer a "phantom" object in your hands.  Previously, if you had a pistol in your inventory and put it in your hands, getting shot would ruin it in your inventory and consequently ruin it in your hands.  Suddenly you're stuck holding a pistol that doesn't function, because your backpack happened to be hit.  Holsters were the only way to avoid this.  The only good part of the new system so far is that is no longer a possibility.  However, a way to reserve those slots should be created.  Essentially, the reverse of what it used to be, the "phantom" item should be in your inventory.

As for inventory order, I think it's dumb and they need to just let you order it yourself by either dragging things up/down or having a little button/arrow to do it.  Having your primary always at the bottom of your inventory because it's always being put away/taken out is really annoying.  This seems like it shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish and I don't know why they didn't implement it already.

Basically they reworked the entire inventory and the result is a lot of stupid bugs, but hopefully the end goal is to sort it all out and things will actually work better.  Like most of the systems they keep gutting.  It would have been nice if they'd put in a little more work to it first though to avoid these inconveniences.

Edited by Bororm

yeah that's what he's saying, that it used to have a 'phantom doppler' in your inventory, which could sustain damage and ruin the real one (in your hands).

Loot smarter, not harder!

I quite like this new way of doing things without a ghost double of your weapon in your pack. If it's in your hands, it should not take up slots in your inventory, not even imaginary reserved slots. 

And if you have problems holding on to your guns for such reasons, then perhaps you bit off a little more than you can chew by going to Chernarus, eh!

Loot smarter, not harder!

I quite like this new way of doing things without a ghost double of your weapon in your pack. If it's in your hands, it should not take up slots in your inventory, not even imaginary reserved slots. 

And if you have problems holding on to your guns for such reasons, then perhaps you bit off a little more than you can chew by going to Chernarus, eh!

I don't think it is 'biting off more than you can chew', it's more like finding a way to change a habit that you have had for years. I hate the new system, as I've lost weapons, but I also understand the idea, and think it might be best in the long-term. I like the idea of being able to move my pistol to my hand, and maybe pick up 4 small items for inventory that I might need later. I would do this if I my inventory was full, but I needed a few cans of peaches or I found a couple magazines for my rifles. It was such a thoughtless issue before, we never even thought about it. I do think adding in an extra cue would help, but I also think I will adapt on my own eventually. I just hope I don't lose my SVD, mod 70 or MP5 before I get it perfectly.

im confused if you want the old system back or your liking the new?

Are you saying you like using your brain and remembering to save space? Or you want the game to remember for you?

What I meant is the reserved slots worked well. 

If it's real life and I'm carrying a pack, a holster and a weapon it's highly likely that I will have reserved spaces in my pack for certain things. Perhaps I've got a holdout in there. Whatever. 

I think reserving slots is a fantastic idea that shouldn't only be limited to weapons. It was good that they auto-reserved their spots so you couldn't put stuff in there. I think they should extend that out to other stuff. I'd love to be able to reserve spots in my inventory for certain items so when I picked them up they'd auto snap there. That's how you'd pack a bag in real life, you wouldn't just chuck shit in there.

• Like 1

It does use reserved slots. When I use my handgun or drink from my bottle it automatically places those items back at the original place. Even when there is space somewhere else, for me it always places them back from my hands in the original space.

Edited by IMT

It does use reserved slots. When I use my handgun or drink from my bottle it automatically places those items back at the original place. Even when there is space somewhere else, for me it always places them back from my hands in the original space.

Yes but now if you hold your pistol and then loot stuff, it can be put into the spots reserved for your gun. Then if you have to put your gun away for any reason it will drop on the ground instead because those spots are now occupied. That's only happened this patch and it's annoying as hell.

Yes but now if you hold your pistol and then loot stuff, it can be put into the spots reserved for your gun. Then if you have to put your gun away for any reason it will drop on the ground instead because those spots are now occupied. That's only happened this patch and it's annoying as hell.

It can be annoying, yes. But this is more realistic and in my opinion it's better this way. I lost a pistol to this as well, it is frustrating but it's your fault. Since then, I'm very careful and I never lost another item. I always make sure I have space when I'm looting.

I'd love to be able to reserve spots in my inventory for certain items so when I picked them up they'd auto snap there. That's how you'd pack a bag in real life, you wouldn't just chuck shit in there.

Huh? As you can see everyone looks at "realism" differently. You want the game to automatically do something rather than remembering and managing inventory with your own brain for the sake of "realism"? 

I say leave realism out of the discussion, what's better for the game? I like to use my brain while playing, and think that is better for the game.

As its been said, we've gained 4 slots we didn't have with the new system (while carrying pistol). It's your choice to use them.

I think managing inventory will be much easier, and this wont be a big problem. The UI will be much wider this will help a lot.

One thing holding it back now from being slightly/automatic is the Tetris packing, I hope that stays.