Sign in to follow this  
Mizzou60

Truck noise makes me want to KILL

What is it, on a psychological level that makes people pull out their guns when they hear a truck? Almost every time I climb into a truck to make a leisurely journey across the map I get shot or shot at. I’ve also watched lots of videos where the authors were engaged in typical DayZ activity when along comes a vehicle and almost instinctively the first thing they do is pull out a gun. WHY?

The slow control response in a truck doesn’t exactly make it and ideal weapon and because front tires are venerable zombies are more dangerous than charging trucks. Sure it’s possible they could run you over but that’s high risk for the driver. It’s easily out maneuvered and the occupants cannot shoot at you. Even if they decide to get out and engage you, they are the ones with the disadvantage as they must complete the dismount animation before they can go through the arming animation.

Is it jealousy, is it envy, is it annoyance? What, on a primal level, makes us drop everything we are doing at the chance to get a bullet into that cab? Even if you don’t attempt to shoot, what causes us to immediately draw weapons? I say “us” because I find myself doing the same thing even when I’m in no danger of attack or even detection my heart rate increases, I get hyper aware and my gun comes out just as it would if someone had taken a shot at me. I can’t decide if its fear or bloodlust, greed or dominance. What say you??

• Like 6

Truck go vroom vroom. I like vrooming more than walking. You have truck. I kill you and truck is mine.

• Like 9

Truck go vroom vroom. I like vrooming more than walking. You have truck. I kill you and truck is mine.

Basically but also it's the challenge of killing the driver without f*cking up the truck too bad, least to me it is! 

truck = player ignoring OPSEC = asking for confrontation

• Like 1

Vehicles are simply bullet magnets as they almost always will be - I usually just observe and or avoid them but the majority of DayZ players dont roll that way

No idea why people shoot at trucks.  Probably because they see videos of people shooting trucks and miraculously one shot the driver so that's the natural instinct.

I typically yell at them in hopes I can either get a ride or just interact.  Trucks are a great vehicle for nonviolent player interaction, really.

I hope you can use megaphones from trucks once they are implemented.  I also think they should have radios, like music radios but also perhaps some could have walkie talkie style radios too by default.

What a great and meaningful thread this is.  I shoot at moving trucks just to give my Lead Angle Sensor and Line Of Sight System a work out :rolleyes:

Have some Beans OP  :beans:

Edited by Xbow

I typically yell at them in hopes I can either get a ride or just interact.  

Do you ever get a response? When I'm in a truck I cant hear an atomic bomb explosion much less a guy on the side of the road speaking in direct chat. The engine noise is just too loud. 

• Like 2

Do you ever get a response? When I'm in a truck I cant hear an atomic bomb explosion much less a guy on the side of the road speaking in direct chat. The engine noise is just too loud. 

This is another good point, and I kinda wish they'd implement a volume slider specifically for vehicles.  I always have to turn my volume real low to hear anything my friends say.

• Like 2

This is why I will be scripting in the 25% reduction script. What we called ear plugs script.

I had ours down to 5% noise. Worked every time you got in and out of the vehicles.

Otherwise you still want to have some noise.

Then I would like to play the radio :)

I avoid vehicles when I can. way too much noise.

I avoid vehicles when I can. way too much noise.

Same here, on the rare occasion when I do use a vehicle I park it a good 500-600m minimum away from a town and hoof it the rest of the way to maintain the element of surprise in case anyone is looting that town.

No idea why people shoot at trucks. Probably because they see videos of people shooting trucks and miraculously one shot the driver so that's the natural instinct.

I typically yell at them in hopes I can either get a ride or just interact. Trucks are a great vehicle for nonviolent player interaction, really.

Non-violent player interaction in a game full of assault rifles, grenades, and land mines. Intriguing.

Non-violent player interaction in a game full of assault rifles, grenades, and land mines. Intriguing.

Yea.  It was hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of not just shooting anything that moves.  Maybe one day you'll experience a similar type of epiphany.

Yea. It was hard for me to wrap my brain around the idea of not just shooting anything that moves. Maybe one day you'll experience a similar type of epiphany.

Or, once you play the game long enough, you'll realize 99.9999% of the people you'll encounter aren't worth your time. Don't worry, you'll get there. ;)

I used to attempt positive interaction with everyone. Now... I value players more for keeping my aim on point.

Or, once you play the game long enough, you'll realize 99.9999% of the people you'll encounter aren't worth your time. Don't worry, you'll get there. ;)

I used to attempt positive interaction with everyone. Now... I value players more for keeping my aim on point.

I started pvping in sandboxes when UO felucca was released.  Been doing the same ever since.  Pretty sure I have as much experience as anyone would need, sonny.

You haven't had the epiphany yet, so I assume you have a ways to go.  Don't worry, you'll get there.   ;)

Grimey Rick, master of wit,
Will rage quit over "unoptimized piles of shit"
On the forums is where he trolls.
Upgrading his rig (for what?) is how he rolls.
Doesn't like player interaction one bit
Edited by Parazight
  • Like 1

In the near future...

You shoot at truck.

Five men in truck shoot back.

• Like 1

The truck is very valuable. A truck can save players hours of running. They can be stored at camps for group missions. 

There are several reasons why someone would kill for a truck. Even if you don't want a truck, or dislike using them, you still realize the importance of them to other players, including the ones driving them.

I play with my brother a lot. He is very friendly, and like to interact with other players. But he also likes getting into firefights, and hunting down bandits and snipers.
So me and him spend half our time wandering the west for optimal gear for our playstyle, and the other half on the coast with people.
During the initial first half, having a vehicle to get around is key to quickly hitting important areas and saving play time. But, at least on the servers we normally play on, trucks are hard to find, as someone has always gotten to them first. 
So, whenever we see one while wandering the west (we would never do it to someone having a Sunday drive on the coast), we make it a mission to stalk them down, ambush them, and appropriate it. Partly for the fun of the mission, and partly because we really need it.

Edited by Deadjuice

I started pvping in sandboxes when UO felucca was released. Been doing the same ever since. Pretty sure I have as much experience as anyone would need, sonny.

You haven't had the epiphany yet, so I assume you have a ways to go. Don't worry, you'll get there. ;)

Grimey Rick, master of wit,

Will rage quit over "unoptimized piles of shit"

On the forums is where he trolls.

Upgrading his rig (for what?) is how he rolls.

Doesn't like player interaction one bit

I also played Ultima Online, which is literally nothing like DayZ. I don't get the comparison. The Felucca map was more like a PvP server in World of Warcraft.

Being "friendly" was fun for the first couple of weeks. Then it just became aggravating. I've bandaged people, given them food, led people with zero experience from Berezino to NWAF for no other reason than I thought I'd be helpful. In real life, I'm very much helpful to others! However, it quickly became apparent that it was much more fun stalking people, whispering to them, and fucking with them before putting a bullet in their head for no other reason than my own amusement.

I'm not against any play style in DayZ. I only quoted you because you were coming down on someone who didn't seem to follow your particular way of playing. If you want to be nice, be nice. Who gives a shit? No one's judging you, so you shouldn't judge others on how they play. And if it bothers you that much, go apply to DayZ RP. There are strict rules in place pertaining to player interaction.

I'm not nearly as gifted in the art of poetry as you seem to be, so I won't bother.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3

In the near future...

You shoot at truck.

Five men in truck shoot back.

you should play arma 3

in the current time you can shoot at truck and 5 people will shoot back

I also played Ultima Online, which is literally nothing like DayZ. I don't get the comparison. The Felucca map was more like a PvP server in World of Warcraft.

Being "friendly" was fun for the first couple of weeks. Then it just became aggravating. I've bandaged people, given them food, led people with zero experience from Berezino to NWAF for no other reason than I thought I'd be helpful. In real life, I'm very much helpful to others! However, it quickly became apparent that it was much more fun stalking people, whispering to them, and fucking with them before putting a bullet in their head for no other reason than my own amusement.

I'm not against any play style in DayZ. I only quoted you because you were coming down on someone who didn't seem to follow your particular way of playing. If you want to be nice, be nice. Who gives a shit? No one's judging you, so you shouldn't judge others on how they play. And if it bothers you that much, go apply to DayZ RP. There are strict rules in place pertaining to player interaction.

I'm not nearly as gifted in the art of poetry as you seem to be, so I won't bother.

Felucca was nothing like world pvp in wow.  Also spent a good share of my 30s on wow pvp servers/arenas.  In wow, you never lose your gear.  Dayz and UO, the loss was real.

By all means, play however you like.  The only thing I don't endorse is cheating.  Clan pvp, lone wolf sniping, coast-rat fire extinguisher battles, or loner hermit, I play them all.  And love it.

I've read many of your posts.  You have a lot of great adventures.  Honestly, I'm just a jealous troll, ribbing another.

However, it quickly became apparent that it was much more fun stalking people, whispering to them, and fucking with them before putting a bullet in their head for no other reason than my own amusement.

Good to know, I was feeling a little paranoid about hearing whispers, I thought it was the walkers talking; turns out it's just some weirdos.