call him Steve

Developer Appreciation

Ok, we clearly will not come to some sort of agreement on this.

I would suggest that you go over to reddit. They'll no doubt agree with you over there.

• Like 3

That's sending it to the wrong team. Just saying  ^_^

Just say for Dean Hall and his team. I think it will get there one day.

Good thing, beer stays fine for a long time.

I appreciate their hard work, I think they need better leadership though.

If you want to show your appreciation, file bug reports!

• Like 3

I would like to express my appreciation...

... plz drop all the ammo and food you have and run the other direction!

:beans:  :beans:  :beans:

But seriously - DayZ is a blast even though still a work in progress. It's fun to have bits of progress and new content to look forward to each week.

• Like 1

I would send them beer, but I'm afraid it would disappear from their inventory at random. 

• Like 11

Battlefield and Call of Duty have much bigger wallets and resources then most game developers. I would bet more then DayZ has. Yet, Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts both performed horribly when they were released. What's their excuse?

DayZ is dying on its arse? According to whom? Did you conduct a world wide poll to determine the popularity of DayZ?

Or are you just bored and want to fight someone? Just curious.

Ok, devs released 0.57 as a beta, what about stable? 0.55 is here since april...and it is a worst update that ever happend to the game. 

Take a look at their roadmap, are we somewhere near to their plans?

Is a fact that BF and COD do not so well makes you fell better? Your logic, "such a big companies do bad games, why should BI do better?" they should do better for sure.

Is there some way we can show the dev team some appreciation? 

In this update, these guys seem to be working extra hard. If you just look at the time stamps on the exp. .57 tweets these people are working until the wee hours of the morning and/or starting at the butt crack of dawn. Now this is just what I've noticed, but I'm sure they have been working this way for some time now. And all over the forums is negative crap. I don't think that all the good work is appreciated, but expected. I know how it is to work like that, and it does make the passion for your work waiver.  As for a long project like this, the team behind it needs to love it and the people that intend to use it.

We've already payed them a good amount of money for their product and we're still doing what is essentialy a completely free massive alpha test. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom sayer nor I'm trying to disrespect the work of the developing team...I'm just stating a fact: we're already showing them both apprectiation for their work and trust in their ability to deliver a good game.

They had (and still have) a very uncomplete and (in certain areas) unappalling product. We bought it anyway because we trusted them and we're helping them testing and refining it because (again) we trust them and their capabilities. They don't need a pat on the shoulder, they're not an amateur modding team working on a free, part-time endeavour. They're professional that are working full-time on a commercial project. They need feedbacks, they need people who test and point out issues and faulty mechanics, they need people who are able to give them constructive criticism. What they don't need, at least IMHO, is virtual hugs, "good job, son" statetements and (again) pats on the shoulders.

On  a side note: I understand why so many people are concerned about the "negativity" of the boards, but honestly...step for a moment in the shoes of a developer. Would you prefer a community that is always enthusiastic and keep popping up appreciation threads or a community where people have the insight (and the spine) to point out mistakes, issues and present them to you? I'd prefer the second option. In my line of work feedback (especially negative feedback) is essential in understanding what is going wrong, and also in forcing you to see your solutions and ideas from a different perspective. I imagine that's the same for a game developer. Just sayin'

• Like 1

And you are a gamedev? Good preformance will not affect survival elements. Good performance is a main things CUSTOMERS want to see right now. 

I would agree with OP of bughemia would release aplha access for free, but I have paid for the game. DayZ is not a good instance of early access.

sorry, but if you start optimizing anything right now, it will be 100% wasted effort due to there being a new renderer soon

also, imagine this: there is currently a big work done on the loot part, as well as zombie AI, which is all calculated by server or your PC, if they did optimization now, and would do future changes to these things, the code would become very unreadable AND a minor change can make a performance tweak redundant or even delete the code of optimization

you definitely do not have any idea about code developement, the devs stated that optimization wil be done in beta, so go and play something else until beta, you, too, klicked the "I understand" button, right?

Edited by Zombo

sorry, but if you start optimizing anything right now, it will be 100% wasted effort due to there being a new renderer soon

also, imagine this: there is currently a big work done on the loot part, as well as zombie AI, which is all calculated by server or your PC, if they did optimization now, and would do future changes to these things, the code would become very unreadable AND a minor change can make a performance tweak redundant or even delete the code of optimization

you definitely do not have any idea about code developement, the devs stated that optimization wil be done in beta, so go and play something else until beta, you, too, klicked the "I understand" button, right?

Listen why all you "devs" waste time on forum instead of doing something?

BI releases stable versions not so often, why not providing better experience with it? is that really too much to ask? 

Edit: Where need I to be sending the beer?

Thats all we need is developers drinking on the job. Brilliant idea....... lmfao XD

Listen why all you "devs" waste time on forum instead of doing something?

BI releases stable versions not so often, why not providing better experience with it? is that really too much to ask? 

from a game that is a few years in development and not finished, of which people even TOLD YOU not to buy it? YES

evil11:

"Listen why all you "devs" waste time on forum instead of doing something?

BI releases stable versions not so often, why not providing better experience with it? is that really too much to ask?"

Why, yes it is. And why are you wasting the developers time with your whining while you could be sending bug reports to help them develop the game? You just wasted everyone's time with an absolutely useless paragraph of bitching and whining. So who's really wasting time here?

DocWolf says:

"We've already payed them a good amount of money for their product and we're still doing what is essentialy a completely free massive alpha test. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a doom sayer nor I'm trying to disrespect the work of the developing team...I'm just stating a fact: we're already showing them both apprectiation for their work and trust in their ability to deliver a good game."

Hey Doc, do you have any dirty dishes in your sink?

Try this. Take the cash out of your wallet. And throw it on top of your pile of dirty dishes. What happens? Aren't your dishes clean now? You gave the pile of dishes your hard earned cash! Why don't the dishes clean themselves? Dammit!!

You see, the money you gave Bohemia pays for the development of DayZ. The developers of DayZ have bills and rent to pay. They have to survive while developing a survival game for whiny, inconsiderate people like you. Tough job, if you ask me.

I've been frustrated by certain events while playing DayZ like a lot of people. Yes, I've complained, too. I'm no angel. But, thanks to wise words spoken here, I've decided to help the devs with bug reports. So, pardon me, I'm going to make a bug report now.

Edited by BulletGarden
  • Like 1

evil11:

"Listen why all you "devs" waste time on forum instead of doing something?

BI releases stable versions not so often, why not providing better experience with it? is that really too much to ask?"

Why, yes it is. And why are you wasting the developers time with your whining while you could be sending bug reports to help them develop the game? You just wasted everyone's time with an absolutely useless paragraph of bitching and whining. So who's really wasting time here?

He's not actually wasting time. He represents a portion of BI audience and clients. Yes, a portion that can be called immature and not caring to get even a glimpse of insight of why things in game development are as they are, but still, a portion that I bet forms a large chunk of the sales pie chart, and are not irrelevant to BI, otherwise the company would show serious inability in creating their customer archetypes.

Steam chart shows a decline of interest, hell even the server list shows a decline of interest by just looking at it. And let me mention the best one: the game hasn't been released yet. At least not in the technical term. If this keeps up, by 1.0, we will have a bump to 40% (~10k avr. players) interest in the product of the of initial release (>20k avr. players), and that's an optimistic guess. If that is enough for the company to keep up with the running costs of the project, then great - business model worthy of worship... But will it be so great for (even the hardcore/devoted) the player?

So in my honest, and professional opinion, evil11 is providing valuable feedback. He/She is completely, or in majority, dissatisfied with the product he/she got, regardless of what anyone else is saying. Now I could quote a certain shoe selling company that follows a mantra "We mostly provide customer service. It just so happens that we also sell shoes." I bet that company could get some valuable info from evil11 instead of having its forum stuff ridicule his/her complain.

As for the feedback tracker... Some of us think there is no point in telling someone "Hey, your wheel is broken!", if we believe they are going in the wrong way altogether.

Sorry for the off topic. On topic: I see no reason for praising BI. I witnessed better developer interaction with their clients in other software companies. I can point out the sticking out dedication of some of the DayZ team members to their project as something worth mentioning, but that's it.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

That's sending it to the wrong team. Just saying  ^_^

just took the post adress from the website,

didn't want to spend more than 2 min on making unserious suggestions

btw. whats the right adress in case i want to send some beer/ bombs

Edited by Hasi

Thats all we need is developers drinking on the job. Brilliant idea....... lmfao XD

If they did the game would already have pooping just like Ark...

... and hilarity would ensue!

• Like 1

send some beer to:

Bohemia Interactive a.s.

Stříbrná Lhota 747 

Mníšek pod Brdy 

252 10 

IČ: 27218864

zapsaná v obchodním rejstříku u Městského soudu v Praze, 

oddíl B, vložka 9791

Hey guys - while I appreciate the positive feedback, please don't post stuff like this.

Thats not even where our office is - that would be the Arma 3 guys. :)

• Like 3

I didn't read all the replies in this thread, so it has possibly been mentioned before. But I just saw the GIF of the guy entering the bus animations. And I gotta say, that shit is top notch.

While I do not agree on quite a few of the choices the dev team has made, and I do think they're being slow, I gotta say that models and animations are the best I've ever seen.

Who the hell in one's senses, would think "hmm, growing cabbages and tomatoes should be a thing in a zombie survival game".

Somebody who understands that to rebuild society you're going to need some sort of food, I imagine.

• Like 1

Hey guys - while I appreciate the positive feedback, please don't post stuff like this.

Thats not even where our office is - that would be the Arma 3 guys. :)

They are doing a good job too, so peeps send  :beans: to Brian & Co, the returns will be heard all over the office  :D

• Like 1

I would send them beer, but I'm afraid it would disappear from their inventory at random.

I lold... I was more afraid of their leg randomly breaking when they opened the box.

Edited by JPWiser

I don't see why people complain about non helpful blindly critical threads and comments getting shut down.

For one thing, you usually sound like spoiled little kids who's mommy didn't give them exactly the flavor of candy you wanted right when you wanted it.

This whole forum is about what is helpful in furthering the successful development of a game that has been very clearly advertised as being in early access - you've paid to be a tester of something - to basically be a lab tester of something that will be intentionally broken at times in order to help produce a final product at some point down the road that works according to the developer's vision and the extent to which they choose to listen to the community about ideas and implement things.

It has been proffered that you are coherent enough as a human being to understand that.

I'll echo this - if you want to be a part of that process then use the bug tracker and enter the game knowing you will encounter broken things just like the disclaimer you click every time you load says.

I'm in favor of the admins instantly shutting down and trashing every thread that's created just to bitch and gripe and whine. Those are not helpful. It's not news to anybody that you wish the game were in a finished state - what's shocking is how entitled so many people are.

I could understand the frustration if this were supposed to be a finished game that you played for a few hours and found totally unplayable and broken.  But it is neither.  Most people complaining have hundreds of hours logged in this game. Yet they've come back to it, and obviously care enough about it to have it emotionally affect them to outburst like a six year old.  There will be some builds that "work" better than others.  There will be some versions that have more broken elements than others.

I for one have many hundreds of hours logged in this game.  There have been frustrating moments, there have been versions that disappointed me - but it all comes back to the original premise of what we're operating in - yes, Alpha - and yes - you have paid in order to serve as a bug tracker or to enjoy a game while in it's season of generating and flushing out game breaking elements.

There are great processes in place to give feedback and have your voice heard - the flipping lead producer even just replied to this very thread a few comments above this.  They're listening, they're qualified, they're competent and mature, they're working long hours, they're responding to helpful feedback from the community. I'm not a video game expert but from what I can tell they're treading in some rather uncharted waters in terms of game design and scale. If you want to be heard, then grow up and communicate in a helpful way.

Admins, please keep these forums helpful by continuing to shut down and ban gripers, trolls, and complainers who operate out of some juvenile sense of entitlement.

• Like 4

so, here we are all together...put your hands on the knees (YOUR knees) and lets say together...cheers folks

This alpha will be an good game, an bad game, an cash crap whatever when its finished...but CHEERS 

shut down your machines and enjoy the coming summer here in europe, like me.

i will wellcome rainy days here and in dayz ;) but now, lets have fun outside and let the devs do their job inside (what is realy hard when summer hits europe/prague)

love and peace and free hugs for all, best thing you can do, much better then complaining here on things that are irrelevant until SUMMER ends

btw: i played operation flashpoint, i hate it, to complexe..to hard..not casual...bad game...

BUT after a while i loved it, cause its not casual pewpew, but it takes time.

Give DayZ SA a bit time and we all will know it, good game, trash, cash crap or......

cheers folks  :)