too-easy

Disinfectant 100% deadly?

I think I got poisoned with disinfectant today.

Someone I met gave me something to drink and powdered milk. Shortly after drinking and eating I had a weird taste in my mouth.

(Server restarted then so the guy was gone.)

After restart I went to a water pump to make me throw up. Got hit by a zombie there which made my screen black and white (or is this caused by throwing up?).

Sick status went away but felt nausea soon. So I took antibiotika (only thing I head) and I didnt feel sick/nausea anymore.

Was hydrated and no other status.

But when I thought that I got away, I fell unconcious and never woke up again. Screen was really completely black and white, so I was on extremely low blood.

Do you think this came from food mixed with disinfectant, or was it cholera?

I don't think it was cholera actually, as the antibiotika should have helped me then?!

Or could it be that I was somehow still bleeding but it didn't show due to a bug?

Still it was kind of fun.

Never died this way, and if this guy really poisoned me, then he did a great job!

Yeah, I'm fairly certain that disinfectant has no cure and kills 100% of the time (unless someone can force feed you food and water while you're unconscious until it passes..?).

Sounds like disinfectant to me. Cholera should have been cured by the antibiotics. Some sicknesses have a recovery phase, I think, in which you continue to lose food and water for a short while. Shouldn't have been enough to kill you from hydrated and not hungry though.

charcoal tabs then vomit with water and you might be good. was wondering if folks were doing some poisoning. don't take water or food from anyone you don't know or trust atleast thats what i do. i guess in the future if someone sick drinks or eats food and they share with you you can contract the disease so its best to just not share or becareful goodluck and goodstory OP

get an injection from an injection vial. the medication is used to threat chemical poisioning irl, so it should be the proper threatment ingame

haven't had to test it ingame though, so im not sure if it actually works

• Like 1

I think I got poisoned with disinfectant today.

Someone I met gave me something to drink and powdered milk. Shortly after drinking and eating I had a weird taste in my mouth.

(Server restarted then so the guy was gone.)

After restart I went to a water pump to make me throw up. Got hit by a zombie there which made my screen black and white (or is this caused by throwing up?).

Sick status went away but felt nausea soon. So I took antibiotika (only thing I head) and I didnt feel sick/nausea anymore.

Was hydrated and no other status.

But when I thought that I got away, I fell unconcious and never woke up again. Screen was really completely black and white, so I was on extremely low blood.

Do you think this came from food mixed with disinfectant, or was it cholera?

I don't think it was cholera actually, as the antibiotika should have helped me then?!

Or could it be that I was somehow still bleeding but it didn't show due to a bug?

Still it was kind of fun.

Never died this way, and if this guy really poisoned me, then he did a great job!

Charcoal tabs might work but not certain - Im pretty sure throwing up does nothing but dehydrate you further

I have to add that I usually don't trust random players but he played me well (if he did it on purpose).

I met him because I followed the sound of some sporter shots.

When I came there he was standing over a corpse.

I almost killed him then, but he claimed that the other guy attacked him with an axe.

Since this happens all the time and he kept his weapon on his back I started to trust him.

And not only this.

He ate and drank at a well in front of me, so I had plenty opportunities to kill him. My pistol was in my hand all the time.

Because of his trust I trusted him, too, and paid with my life. :D

I only wish I had checked his name.

I will definitely try to do this to someone, too.

Was fun!

Edited by too-easy

get an injection from an injection vial. the medication is used to threat chemical poisioning irl, so it should be the proper threatment ingame

haven't had to test it ingame though, so im not sure if it actually works

I didn't know that, so beans. I thought the medication vial was just a more intense form of the antibiotics.

My instinct with chemical poisoning was that inducing vomiting would probably be the only thing to try.

After restart I went to a water pump to make me throw up.

Don't do that. It doesn't cure any type of sickness and makes you lose valuable water and energy.

Chemical poisoning used to be curable by staying energized/hydrated (especially having frequent access to fresh water) and staying out of harms way as you health and blood dropped dangerously low. But now it appears to require someone to look after you as you will go unconscious.

• Like 1

Don't do that. It doesn't cure any type of sickness and makes you lose valuable water and energy.

Chemical poisoning used to be curable by staying energized/hydrated (especially having frequent access to fresh water) and staying out of harms way as you health and blood dropped dangerously low. But now it appears to require someone to look after you as you will go unconscious.

This. The throwing up thing is a myth from coincidence. The only thing that heals all of these illnesses etc is time, or, with a few of them, things like charcoal tabs and antibiotics (you can check out WOBO or other, similar YouTubers to find the exact cures to everything).

The way these illnesses work is they have a few stages, each giving its own messages and having its own effects. I'll completely make up an example, but this is how they all work, in essence:

Fake Sickness

Stage 1

Message 'I feel ill'

-1 Water/s

-1 Energy/s

10 Minutes

Stage 2

Message 'I feel absolutely awful'

-5 Water/s

-1 Energy/s

5 Minutes

Stage 3

Message 'I might die'

-15 Water/s

-15 Energy/s

-5 Blood/s

-5 Health/s

10 Minutes

Stage 4

Message 'I'm starting to feel a bit better'

-1 Water/s

-1 Energy/s

-1 Health/s

5 Minutes

After the final stage, the sickness ends and you're 'healthy' again (in the sense that you're not dying any more - you'll still need to eat and drink).

Most of the cures skip you straight to the final stage, which is generally fairly mild.

So, the illnesses don't actually kill you, but the lack of food, water, blood or health is what does it.

As such, the best thing you can do is take whatever cure has been proven to work, if there is one, and load up on food and drink as much as you can.

Some sicknesses, namely chemical sickness, are so bad that there is no way to stay conscious for the whole sickness. This means that you will go unconcsious and die from them, unless you have somebody to force feed you food and water while unconscious. This is the only cure to chemical sickness.

It may be the case that throwing up immediately after eating/drinking something that causes sickness prevents it from kicking in. I've seen no evidence either way. However, once you start getting those status messages, the sickness has kicked in and throwing up will do absolutely nothing for you.

I got the sick message immediately after spraying some rags with disinfectant. Nothing I did would help. charcoal, constant eating and drinking only prolonged my life. It took about an hour to kill me. 

/beta

I got the sick message immediately after spraying some rags with disinfectant. Nothing I did would help. charcoal, constant eating and drinking only prolonged my life. It took about an hour to kill me. 

/beta

Literally just spraying the rags with disinfectant? Are you sure you didn't accidentally drink it?

As for not being able to survive it, it was chemical poisoning, which isn't supposed to be recoverable without somebody helping you. There's no bug or issue in that - it's realistic and intended.

Bleach, for example, really does require medical attention when ingested. You can drink a lot of milk (as in, a lot), which limits the damage, and activated charcoal, again, can limit the damage, but it causes massive problems with the stomach lining and, if you throw it up, can cause problems with breathing, as well as a whole host of other things.

Chemical poisoning isn't quite there in DayZ, but it's a lot better than just being able to eat and drink until you get over it.

Edited by Beizs

One should be able to "sniff" on food or water to determine if it was tempered with....maybe ?

• Like 1

Literally just spraying the rags with disinfectant? Are you sure you didn't accidentally drink it?

Positive, dragged the bottle icon onto the rags and chose spray disinfectant on rags and immediately got the 'sick' notification. There was no 'I have drank disinfectant' message or anything like that.

Edited by danfinger

Positive, dragged the bottle icon onto the rags and chose spray disinfectant on rags and immediately got the 'sick' notification. There was no 'I have drank disinfectant' message or anything like that.

That is incredibly weird. Probably should put that in the bug tracker.

Hmm the bottle of alcohol is used to clean rags. FYI. I was told people could use disinfectant on fruit, open cans of food, bottles of water to poison players, never tried it cause it seems counter productive to survival. I empty all the bottles and canteens I find and fill them from water pumps.

If you used the "treated" rags after spraying them with the disinfectant that could be the very reason of your poisoning: the disinfectant description seems to be one of an household cleaner spray (maybe a bleach-based one?). That's something  you definitelly shouldn't put on wounds of any kind. Excanto is right, the correct item to treat bandages in DayZ seems to be alcohol.

Just a quick question: spraying something (fruit, open cans of food, steaks, whatever) with the disinfectant will make anyone eating that something ill? In the past I've found some opened cans in weird places (middle of forested nowhere, bus stops and such) and I always found that very bait-like. Avoiding suspicious opened cans is easy...but if you can kill people spraying random bananas and oranges around the tables of Chernarus...

Edited by DocWolf

If you used the "treated" rags after spraying them with the disinfectant that could be the very reason of your poisoning: the disinfectant description seems to be one of an household cleaner spray (maybe a bleach-based one?). That's something  you definitelly shouldn't put on wounds of any kind. Excanto is right, the correct item to treat bandages in DayZ seems to be alcohol.

Just a quick question: spraying something (fruit, open cans of food, steaks, whatever) with the disinfectant will make anyone eating that something ill? In the past I've found some opened cans in weird places (middle of forested nowhere, bus stops and such) and I always found that very bait-like. Avoiding suspicious opened cans is easy...but if you can kill people spraying random bananas and oranges around the tables of Chernarus...

think they've disabled that. In the past, it was possible, don't think it is any more.

think they've disabled that. In the past, it was possible, don't think it is any more.

But then the "bleached rags" explanation is not correct: if one contaminated item can give you chemical poisoning every other contaminated item (in theory) should do the same. Mmmmh...time to find some disinfectant and run some self-harming tests

But then the "bleached rags" explanation is not correct: if one contaminated item can give you chemical poisoning every other contaminated item (in theory) should do the same. Mmmmh...time to find some disinfectant and run some self-harming tests

Oh, I should point out, I think they've disabled it in exp. Still active in .55, I believe.