boneboys

Exp Update: 0.56.127TheBeast.

Presuming that you were constantly sprinting and constantly jogging we can use the total run time to determine distance traveled if we know the running speeds or the speed differential.

According to one of the videos that was referenced sprinting is 180% as fast as running.

So if jogging took you 34 minutes to pass out, then let us assume that you traveled 34 jog'o'meters in total ;) (defined as the distance traveled in 1 minute of jogging)

But while sprinting instead you lasted only for 23:11 instead of 34 minutes. So at a factor of 1.8, the question becomes how many jog'o'meters did you manage to travel on the same amount of starting energy.

The answer is (23)1.8=41.4 jog'o'meters...

So when jogging you managed 34 jog'o'meters (whatever they might be) and according to the run speed differential outlined by the video, you managed 41 jog'o'meters with the same amount of energy, and in less time, making it all around more efficient.

If someone could give me precise running speeds then I could give more precise results.

EDIT: one potential flaw in this metod, while it has it's merits, is that pass out times might not be constant. You might only have a chance to pass out below a certain threshhold.

A way to significantly improve the precision is to measure the first instances of state changes in hunger and hydration and plot the times of their occurances. This way when we duplicate a test we can check for any variances and we get a good way to plot the (linear?) function that is calorie and hydration burning.

When I did my walking test with a coat I just used my iZurvive app on my phone I had a landmark close to my spawn (a barn) straight lined to a railroad crossing, then followed the tracks and happened to drop right before another railroad crossing. It was really easy to plot my path with the app and get a real measurement. 

until stamina is in, its a waste of time to test what is better, sprinting or jogging  B)

i know, its not that much fun and to do without zeds, so we have to wait for an new update.

have fun jogging or sprinting, i prefere to catch chickes with my stone knife :rolleyes:

until stamina is in, its a waste of time to test what is better, sprinting or jogging  B)

i know, its not that much fun and to do without zeds, so we have to wait for an new update.

have fun jogging or sprinting, i prefere to catch chickes with my stone knife :rolleyes:

Where do you find chickens??? I have such a hard time finding anything but cows...

Edited by FlimFlamm

Presuming that you were constantly sprinting and constantly jogging we can use the total run time to determine distance traveled if we know the running speeds or the speed differential.

According to one of the videos that was referenced sprinting is 180% as fast as running.

So if jogging took you 34 minutes to pass out, then let us assume that you traveled 34 jog'o'meters in total ;) (defined as the distance traveled in 1 minute of jogging)

But while sprinting instead you lasted only for 23:11 instead of 34 minutes. So at a factor of 1.8, the question becomes how many jog'o'meters did you manage to travel on the same amount of starting energy.

The answer is (23)1.8=41.4 jog'o'meters...

So when jogging you managed 34 jog'o'meters (whatever they might be) and according to the run speed differential outlined by the video, you managed 41 jog'o'meters with the same amount of energy, and in less time, making it all around more efficient.

If someone could give me precise running speeds then I could give more precise results.

EDIT: one potential flaw in this metod, while it has it's merits, is that pass out times might not be constant. You might only have a chance to pass out below a certain threshhold.

A way to significantly improve the precision is to measure the first instances of state changes in hunger and hydration and plot the times of their occurances. This way when we duplicate a test we can check for any variances and we get a good way to plot the (linear?) function that is calorie and hydration burning.

I think sprinting is 180% of walking speed while jogging is 155% of walking speed (walking speed is 100% of walking speed) if we're talking about the same video. He lists them as jogging/running/sprinting but I'm unaware of any intermediate speed between jogging and sprinting - I'm pretty sure it's just walking/jogging/sprinting.

When I did my walking test with a coat I just used my iZurvive app on my phone I had a landmark close to my spawn (a barn) straight lined to a railroad crossing, then followed the tracks and happened to drop right before another railroad crossing. It was really easy to plot my path with the app and get a real measurement. 

We can ensure that our time measurements are accurate but not so with distance traveled due to non straight travel, inclines and obstacles. This is why I used an arbitrary comparison. According to my calculations Ebrim actually traveled 8.4 kilometers while sprinting before passing out if he only traveled 7 km while jogging before passing out. At least acording to my current source for actual jog/sprint speeds.

Energy is strange. When you are at 4,000 calories you show as bright green energized, but it is possible to continue eating and get your calories all the way up to 20,000. I reckon you would need to eat around 300 berries in order to max out on potential energy. If you sat around farming and fishing and really built up your fat stores, you would be able to go 5 times as long with out food than someone who stopped eating once they became bright green energized.

This is why I never stop foraging.  After a few boxes of cereal and a couple bags of rice, idle apple picking will keep me away from both hunger and thirst for days of game play.  Or at the very least, keep me in the bright green until I come upon denser resources.

I really hope that the possiblity of being very well-fed is a game design choice, and not an oversight.  I enjoy reaping the obvious advantages of preparation and stockpiling calories in one's body.  If you maintain a high energy level, you can survive multiple bloodletting encounters.  Being able to heal up while sprinting away, after applying bandages, is an appropriate reward for all the time and energy needed to become so well-fed.

Now if only there were more reasons to bleed...

• Like 1

I think sprinting is 180% of walking speed while jogging is 155% of walking speed (walking speed is 100% of walking speed) if we're talking about the same video. He lists them as jogging/running/sprinting but I'm unaware of any intermediate speed between jogging and sprinting - I'm pretty sure it's just walking/jogging/sprinting.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/qybgjDykYgU?t=224

I was confused at first but he differentiates between walking, jogging, running, and sprinting.

According to him running is what you do by double tapping W with your fists lowered. He says sprinting is double tapping W with your fists raised.

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/qybgjDykYgU?t=224

I was confused at first but he differentiates between walking, jogging, running, and sprinting.

According to him running is what you do by double tapping W with your fists lowered. He says sprinting is double tapping W with your fists raised.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure according to things I was reading in the bug reports earlier that running with fists lowered/raised no longer makes a difference. There are 3 standing movement speeds: walking/jogging-running/sprinting as I understand it. At this point though, I'm no longer sure about anything. :D

• Like 1

I reckon we need some new speed tests. The good thing is these are easier to do than starvation tests!

I'm going to go onto the 1pp hive and do some running tests to determine running speed. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

When were the vids made? They may no longer be relevant.

Unless memory fails me, running was recently nerfed, around the same time as zoom.

• Like 1

Where do you find chickens??? I have such a hard time finding anything but cows...

I'll be running along in the tall grass and suddenly hear a chicken. That's about the only way I know of to find a chicken. Make sure your sound is up.

• Like 1

We can ensure that our time measurements are accurate but not so with distance traveled due to non straight travel, inclines and obstacles. This is why I used an arbitrary comparison. According to my calculations Ebrim actually traveled 8.4 kilometers while sprinting before passing out if he only traveled 7 km while jogging before passing out. At least acording to my current source for actual jog/sprint speeds.

What does your source say for walking?

My time was 1 hour 2 minutes, I'm betting my distance is pretty close because I had time to plan a route without inclines (not that it matters walking) and did it with the w key jammed in straight lines, with minimal turns plotted in my app and dropped withing a meter or 2 of a good landmark. I rounded down in my original post and just remeasured the route at a little over 4900m. 

My results weren't perfect because I was a 1 minute walk to where my other character dropped me a coat and a cold status popped in and out after 40 minutes.

Unless they change these baselines they'll still apply even when stamina is introduced but modified by however the stamina affects them.

I'm not the type to complain, as I'm sure some of you guys might realize by now, but I would be remiss if I didn't at least talk about the loot situation.

Survival should be hard, no doubt about that. I agree that I should have to work to maintain "healthy" status. However, with no zombies and spectacularly little loot, it is becoming very difficult to play this game. After spending about 5 hours in a 3PP Exp server over the course of 3 separate play sessions and in two different Northern map regions, I can honestly say that I have seen less than 100 items. Only 3 of those items have been food. The majority of it has been civilian clothes and shoes with a small amount of utility tools in there. Even that feels like a little bit of an overestimate, but I don't want anyone to think I'm exaggerating. I'm quite sure that one of two things are true:

1) The CLE is not working as intended.

or 

2) The current experimental build has item respawning either turned off or seriously toned down.

Can anyone chime in on this? I see no evidence of respawning items and I'm a little bit apprehensive about this build becoming Stable on Wednesday. Please keep in ind that I am not trying to pick a fight or say anything negative about the devs. I'm just a little bit concerned.

I'm not the type to complain, as I'm sure some of you guys might realize by now, but I would be remiss if I didn't at least talk about the loot situation.

Survival should be hard, no doubt about that. I agree that I should have to work to maintain "healthy" status. However, with no zombies and spectacularly little loot, it is becoming very difficult to play this game. After spending about 5 hours in a 3PP Exp server over the course of 3 separate play sessions and in two different Northern map regions, I can honestly say that I have seen less than 100 items. Only 3 of those items have been food. The majority of it has been civilian clothes and shoes with a small amount of utility tools in there. Even that feels like a little bit of an overestimate, but I don't want anyone to think I'm exaggerating. I'm quite sure that one of two things are true:

or 

2) The current experimental build has item respawning either turned off or seriously toned down.

Can anyone chime in on this? I see no evidence of respawning items and I'm a little bit apprehensive about this build becoming Stable on Wednesday. Please keep in ind that I am not trying to pick a fight or say anything negative about the devs. I'm just a little bit concerned.

Same for me. I freshly started some days ago and I found quite some loot in the northern regions, I even had a char that you would probably consider as "fully equipped". I ran all the way from Novo to Novaya, down to Zeleno, to Cherno and back up north towards Sevetlo and found plenty food and good equipment on my way.... then I died in a remote region as I tabbed out of the game and forgot to log out :P Right now (after respawning) I'm not even finding basic items for survival. I was running all the way from Novo to Novaya Petrovska and I did not find a single rope or some container for water, this means I'm not even able to grow some seeds or go fishing. This route through the northern parts of Cherno took me hours and the only thing that helped me to survive was tons of apples. I also agree that surviving should not be too easy but just running around and eating apples to stay alive is simply ridiculous, don't need to play DayZ (with all its amazing features) for something like that. I hope that its just an issue with loot respawn and that this is not hitting stable as it would be the first time for me to consider a longer break after 1300 hrs of playing this game. 

I just don't want to see another video of someone in experimental that has 5 tents and 16 fully kited rifles, 8 pistols, 3000 rounds and 62 magazines, 400 cans of food, 29 bottles of water, 12 sets of military clothes, 2 trucks with 8 fuel cans, 8 med kits fully stocked and 3 fireplaces roasting deer, boar and cow meat. 

I think we may need to setup the loot so you can see everything, instead of stuff buried under other stuff. The way it is, people pick up every item and move it to see what is underneath and then they move on. Sadly all that loot vanishes soon after. So if you needed any of that stuff under that book, your out of luck. If you could see everything, people could just grab those 308 rounds under those cans of peaches.

I'll have to test what vanishes and what doesn't.  I am on 1pp and I have all of the standard gear except military pants and med kit and still no nets for ghillie. I have a ton of 22 and 308 with the sporter 22 with two 30 rd mags and a Winchester 70. Lots of food and bottles so far.

• Like 1

My experience has been similar..... Surviving on apples and that's about it. No loot whatsoever and no matter where you go, it's always barren. It certainly feels like a survival simulation game now but it is NOT fun or entertaining. Back to BF4 till they fix this POS.

I'm not bitter, I just think that this far into the development of things they should at least have a few redundancies in place to prevent this. Hence the POS comment

or 

i think that everyone that played the exp last two days had the same experience. CLE is obviously miles away from working as intended. i'm pretty sure that items does respawn, but not everywhere and about 1/10-100 the rate they should respawn. item despawn when untouched is probably an issue too, they seems to stay on the ground forever, which is why non usefull items are a majority now.

all servers are almost empty, you have to pick berries or apples for roughtly 20 minutes before reaching a place where you can find 1-2 usefull items (with luck). found it fun at first, i still manage to gear up but it's gettin boring with time. i had the luck to find weapon accidentally dropped by peoples in front of deer stand, it's been my main source of weapons since 2 days. serverss crash are a pain in the ass too. when you spend 3h to find 1 pack of seeds and the server crash while your plants are growing just makes me mad.

same goes for hunting, i mainly survived on putoshka cows, and encountered a bug that makes me die : i cooked 4 pieces of meat (hand drill, hashwood sticks, stone knife, no axe and low capacity storage, it's a pain), then the server crashed. i get back on it : my meat was looking uncooked but warm red. i cooked one of these pieces again (had to find all materiel again of course) : it looked burnt... ok, so i ate the last 3 thinking they were just cooked fine since they burn when cooked again : i became sick... and died somes minutes after (not easy to find charcoal when there is almost no loot). rage quited the game :P .

i think we all need a wipe at least in the next few days !

yeah food/loot is manageable (still haven't had an exp character starve) but still pretty broken.  you're either very lucky or very unlucky - there's no middle ground.

looking forward to this going stable though, so I can finally click bushes with a purpose again.

Edited by Red_Ensign

Huh, I started a 1pp/3pp character the night before last and didn't have such a rough time so far. Are things so much worse today?

Huh, I started a 1pp/3pp character the night before last and didn't have such a rough time so far. Are things so much worse today?

it's getting a little worse every time someone loot an usufull item, so day after day...

even far inland location are pretty empty, coast are picked clean, some isolated places retain some loot. i too have been able to gear up quite nicely, but with a good spawn and a good loot run, with a good amount of berry/apple picking. i had luck with southwest little towns, north spawn were hard ones, not mutch thing to loot. still possible to gear up, but it's getting more and more boring (very few players, normal items being very rare, hard to find backpacks, no infecteds, no loot in crashes/wreck/military area/big cities).

i hope we'll see improvements in CLE soon, it's kind of slowly killing the game for most players right now. i still can't take a break, i need my dayZ exp session almost every days  :D

• Like 1

it's getting a little worse every time someone loot an usufull item, so day after day...

even far inland location are pretty empty, coast are picked clean, some isolated places retain some loot. i too have been able to gear up quite nicely, but with a good spawn and a good loot run, with a good amount of berry/apple picking. i had luck with southwest little towns, north spawn were hard ones, not mutch thing to loot. still possible to gear up, but it's getting more and more boring (very few players, normal items being very rare, hard to find backpacks, no infecteds, no loot in crashes/wreck/military area/big cities).

i hope we'll see improvements in CLE soon, it's kind of slowly killing the game for most players right now. i still can't take a break, i need my dayZ exp session almost every days  :D

A lot of this has little to do with CLE though. Exp servers tend to have a huge population boost when new patches come out but then it dwindles as people get discouraged by bugs, less of their buddies, etc. Infected have nothing to do with CLE at all. Obviously there's tons more work to be done with CLE but I think it's actually working quite well for new tech and the next patch it'll be better I"m sure.

That is the worst possible scenario long term. The game becomes such a grind that players drop off drastically, which kills everything. The game, without zombies, is kinda useless. The game without the 'threat' of PVP, is kind of useless. I think those two elements are more critical to the long-term success than any amount of berry picking or tactical bacon. They have to find a way to make elements of the game more hardcore for those survivors, but it needs to be accessible to those who are looking for an intense, yet interactive game.

As always, hope for the best, and just keep playing until you need a break.... 

I started North of Berezino and went through Svetlojarsk, Turovo, Dubroe, Karmanovka, Novo, Belaya Polana, Berezhki and now Krasnoe over the course of about 5 hours and 3 play sessions and have found barely anything that wasn't obviously left behind by others. I was as thorough as I could possibly be. In that time, I have found around 100 items. Almost everything is picked clean. I have never seen anything like it in Stable or Experimental, although I guess that doesn't mean much since I haven't been playing this game for very long. 

For the record, I'm healthy and okay although I did have to eat about 15 apples since I last found spawned food items. The game just feels hollow and empty with no loot and no zombies.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

I really hope some good updates come in this next week. I just did a fresh OS install on my computer and I'm not going to bother reinstalling DayZ until I read something good on these forums. I've had a lot of fun with the game but it just seems like a boring grind to me now.

So I'm back from testing and I have some results.

All my calculations are based upon a made up unit called the jog'o'meter which represent how far you can run in one minute of jogging (hands down and empty).

I began my test by jogging in a straight line for exactly one minute along a straight stretch of road east of cherno in order to physically mark a distance that was one jog'o'meter.

I then did two sprint tests, and both times gave me the result of 37.5 seconds in order to run one jog'o'meter of distance.

I then did one walking test and I required 2 minutes and 40 seconds to walk one jog'o'meter. So, here is my conclusion:

37.5 seconds to run one jog'o'meter means that when you sprint you are travelling at 1.6 jog'o'meters per minute  (1.6 jm/m )(37.5/60) = 1 jm/m 

(note that there only 60 seconds in a minute, not 100, so the conversion from a meausrement in seconds is necessary)

2 minutes and 40 seconds to walk one jog'o'meter means that when youw alk you are travelling at 0.375 jog'o'meters per second.

In order to test the accuracy of these numbers I made a prediction and tested it. I predict that it will take me 4.3 times as much time to travel the same distance walking that I can while sprinting.

My sprint test from arbitrary land marks took me 15.3 seconds to get from point A from point B. My walking test took me 68 seconds to get from the same point A to the same point B.

(15.3)(4.3)= 66

So essentially this confirms the margin of error to within around +/- 3% of my final numbers.

Here is a chart which makes comparisons between all three speeds. The numbers represent speed or distance traveled in one minute at a given pace. the units are defined as Walk'o'meters (distance traveled in 1 minute of walking) Jog'o'meters (1 minute of jogging) and Sprint'o'meters (1 minute of sprinting) whioch are Wm/m, Jm/m, and Sm/m respectively.

p3MCWrN.png

So if you Ebrim jogged for 34 minutes, we will still call it 34 jog'o'meters. If he sprinted for 23 minutes then according to my chart he will have traveled 37 jog'o'meters.

These numbers line up fairly well with BCBasher's test where he traveled roughly the same distance.

If I could get more precise measurements for the jog'o'meter, the walk'o'meter, and the sprint'o'meter, along with a conversion into actual meters, then we could pretty much deduce the exact numbers and determine what is the most efficient.

Right now according to mine and BCBasher's numbers sprinting seems to be as efficient or slightly more efficient than jogging. An easy way to be more certain would be to do some additional startvation tests to see how long you can sprint before passing out, and vice versa with jogging.

Tl;DR: Jogging is roughly 2.7 times as fast as walking (or an increase of 170%), and sprinting is roughly 4.3 times the speed of walking (or an increase of 330%) and sprinting is therefore 1.6 times as fast as jogging (or an increase of 60%).

According to the only recent available data regarding energy consumption rates, according to my calculations sprinting is as efficient or slightly more efficient than jogging.

Cheers!

• Like 6