boneboys

Exp Update: 0.56.127TheBeast.

I found a radio by a police car, put in a battery and got nothing, checked the volume, it is at max, licked the battery, it is fully charged.  Radio is damaged and cannot be repaired with duct tape.  What am I missing? 

^ This

I enjoy deconstructing the game and coming up with a workable survival strategy. I then test and refine my strategy. I enjoy the struggle and I get an immense sense of satisfaction by overcoming adversity. If surviving was easy, there would be no sense of accomplishment. If the game was fun, that would be an added benefit, but that's not really why I play.

I feel like we are watching Darwin at work on a accelerated time scale.

• Like 2

I found a radio by a police car, put in a battery and got nothing, checked the volume, it is at max, licked the battery, it is fully charged. Radio is damaged and cannot be repaired with duct tape. What am I missing?

Just a shot in the dark: pliers? Screw driver?

I found a radio by a police car, put in a battery and got nothing, checked the volume, it is at max, licked the battery, it is fully charged.  Radio is damaged and cannot be repaired with duct tape.  What am I missing? 

Good question. I haven't seen any tubes, or soldering irons in game, so if it is possible to repair a damaged radio, I'll be damned if I know where to start. On second thought, I believe that fuses are going to be introduced for vehicle repair. Perhaps a fuse (when they become available) will fix your radio?

To make that bow you currently need rope and you need to chop down a tree.

You don't need to chop down a tree, all you need is a stone knife to cut off a branch...

I feel like we are watching Darwin at work on a accelerated time scale.

LOL

Mr. Darwin has been hard at work over the past couple of weeks, that's for sure!

You don't need to chop down a tree, all you need is a stone knife to cut off a branch...

Affirmative  :beans:

was there an tent wipe after yesterdays small patch or did some bad boys stole my 2 tents near krasno? >:(

was there an tent wipe after yesterdays small patch or did some bad boys stole my 2 tents near krasno? > :(

persistence reset ;-)

Agreed. Regional control will be a massive improvement.

Also, there appears to still be many, many spawn locations which are still not configured and are not spawning loot.

About those spawn locations, have you found loot spawns at new spawn locations? For me there was the quiver I saw spawn 5m in front of the VMC prison. Directly on the concrete floor.

That is the point that I was making; unfortunately there aren't many others who would agree with us.

As Hicks famously said, "It's not for everyone and that's OK."

SNAPPY ATE THE REST

Why are ppl quoting that and other statements of hicks all the time to show how badass and oh so hardcore the game is supposed to be while ignoring his statement (out of my head, probably not word for word) that "loot is supposed to be rare, but not that rare" from the last update? It's not like the situation is that different on many servers... . That's not balanced Journalism guys!!!

Btw iirc the statement is taken out of context, it was about .55 in it's current state, should therefore have nothing to do with the cle. Don't know how it is now, but the last times I played .55 I ended up dual yielding after a short time, mostly with a silenced AKS-74u after a short amount of time with everything in my inventory I could hope for, don't know how it is now, but probably not that different.

Also, Hicks and others will make such statements in the future, too. Does not mean they should be looked at like words written in stone. Often such general statemenst are used to defend their work in its current state, sad that they have to do so... .

Concerning food, I have never caught anything with a rabbit snare. I tried it once a while back, in a field like I read I should do it. When I came back nothing was in it. I generally don't think about using them because it means I have to come back to a place at a later time. Currently I move across large parts of the map trying to find stuff and eating apples in the meantime. Going back to places I already passed seems like not worth it.

So with my missing knowledge about all things rabbit snare:

• Can you place them anywhere or only in fields? I think I even read some post about looking for a game trail and place it there a while back ...
  • How long until one should check them?
  • what is their success rate?
  • Is it a numbers game like picking apples or does that thing actually catch AI rabbits running around?
Edited by bautschi

Concerning food, I have never caught anything with a rabbit snare. I tried it once a while back, in a field like I read I should do it. When I came back nothing was in it. I generally don't think about using them because it means I have to come back to a place at a later time. Currently I move across large parts of the map trying to find stuff and eating apples in the meantime. Going back to places I already passed seems like not worth it.

• Can you place them anywhere or only in fields? I think I even read some post about looking for a game trail and place it there a while back ...
  • Is it a numbers game like picking apples or does that thing actually catch AI rabbits running around?

I would say rabbit snares uses the same mechanic like picking apples (ofc, I could be wrong), so they don't catch an AI rabbit, but the dead rabbit spawns in the snare after a short period of time.

Before I enter a city, I delpoy rabbit snares, mostly in treelines, or make garden plots.

After I have looted the city or after a short time (10-15min), I go back to the place where my stuff is and have a look. Sometime I'm lucky and caught a rabbit, sometimes not.

(- success rate? 5of10? I don't know^^)

• Like 1

Same here, had 2 full tents in Kamensk :o  plus 2x V3s.

Had you been on Uk 2-0-1? Maybe i saw you  ;D

yes, UK 2-01 is one of the 5 servers i mostly play.

I hope you only saw my name when pressing "P" not my toon ingame  :o  and i did not noticed you

• Like 1

Yep tent wipe, keep absolute essentials on you when you log. 

Consider persistence wipes as good training :)

Concerning rabbit snares:

What I've seen is that you have what looks like 3 possible outcomes when you deploy a snare:

1. No rabbit caught  no damage to snare

2. No rabbit caught snare ruined (the "one that got away"?)

3. Rabbit caught, snare condition degraded (If using pristine wire it will degrade to damaged, if using damaged wire it will degrade to ruined).

My method is as follows:

Craft 2 to 3 rabbit traps

Go near your camp, but not too near(best places I've found is within 10 feet of a water source or a dry creek bed).

Deploy 2 to 3 traps each about 6 to 10 feet from each other.

Go grow some pumpkins or something (loot a village, hunt some game[when there's more game *cough devs*] )

Come back and check them after about 10 minutes

Profits  :)

Seems to work excellent for me.

• Like 3

yes, UK 2-01 is one of the 5 servers i mostly play.

I hope you only saw my name when pressing "P" not my toon ingame  :o  and i did not noticed you

Haha no i probably didnt see you ^^ but ive met people in krasnoe and in kamensk in order of maintaining my base, well and ive been killed in krasnoe as well :lol: if you were on Uk 2-0-1 most times theres a chance you were one of these guys i saw. As well i noticed heavy full-automatic battles in kamenks-krasnoe, its funny you had your tents around there as well. Thats all. :)

anyone ever got a rotten apple from the tree? my last 20+ were all ok.

If an apple drop would be buffed for 1 more apple per 10 tries, that would be awesome. Right now the ratio feels somwhere around lowish 20% out of 10 tries (i could be tottaly wrong, way too little testing from my side here). Because once you start starving/dying from hunger, you really need to spend next half hr fighting to maintain the starving/hungry status and not fall back to dying. I really think that 1 apple would do all the difference and would help you to to continue your journey slightly faster without making it easy.

IT would just shorten the picking time without making it "OP" I believe the hardest part for everyone is not to survive but to watch the "picking dice roll" from a tree that's got apples clearly visible.

I actually found remains of a dead survivor under the most random apple trees in chernarus. I found a truck just outside Olsha that someone crashed, but i managed to unstuck it. I was going to travel all the way to the north but i started starving at Gvozdno so I made a stop at the intersection some 500m north from the The summer camp East of devils Castle and Severograd. I ran to the first apple tree i saw and..voila..shoes,backpack and some stuff. I guess some poor soul gave up. Gotta love coincidences like this :D

Also a huge thumb up for the fire alternative.This was very much needed.

P.S Got a flat tire, didnt notice, crashed, didnt end up well :P

Edited by halp

Craft 2 to 3 rabbit traps

Seems to work excellent for me.

I snipped the rest of your post because this is the best advice in the whole thing ;) Because rabbit snare success is based on chance, it's always better to increase your odds by deploying several of them at a time.

anyone ever got a rotten apple from the tree? my last 20+ were all ok.

I haven't had a rotten one at all in a really long while. I want to say they are "disabled", but I can't recall where I may have read that or when.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 3

About those spawn locations, have you found loot spawns at new spawn locations? For me there was the quiver I saw spawn 5m in front of the VMC prison. Directly on the concrete floor.

Why are ppl quoting that and other statements of hicks all the time to show how badass and oh so hardcore the game is supposed to be while ignoring his statement (out of my head, probably not word for word) that "loot is supposed to be rare, but not that rare" from the last update? It's not like the situation is that different on many servers... . That's not balanced Journalism guys!!!

Btw iirc the statement is taken out of context, it was about .55 in it's current state, should therefore have nothing to do with the cle. Don't know how it is now, but the last times I played .55 I ended up dual yielding after a short time, mostly with a silenced AKS-74u after a short amount of time with everything in my inventory I could hope for, don't know how it is now, but probably not that different.

Also, Hicks and others will make such statements in the future, too. Does not mean they should be looked at like words written in stone. Often such general statemenst are used to defend their work in its current state, sad that they have to do so... .

I have found loot in places where I have't seen it spawn in nine months, or more and a few paces where I have never seen it spawn. Also, I haven't seen it spawn in in places where it commonly used to spawn up until 0.55.

Ever since the beginning, the devs have represented the game as a survival, horror game. Some had discovered that due to its ARMA heritage, that it was also a pretty fun PVP free for all. Now that the devs are getting around to introducing farming, hunting, diseases and other survival elements, a vocal minority are complaining that the devs have ruined the (PVP) game. In reality, while PVP was always possible, that was never the thrust of the game. There are also quite a few people complaining that the game is a running and / or a starvation simulator, as if the devs could pull fully working vehicles and a feature complete and perfectly tuned CLE out of their butts. It was in response to these complaints that Hicks made his now famous remark. By the way, he said this on May 13, you only need to check his Twitter account to see the context.

The rare, but not that rare quote was in response to complaints about the lack of loot on 0.55 stable, when the devs discovered that there was, in fact, a bug with the CLE and that it was not spawning loot as intended.

Rabbit snares work exactly like apple trees and berry bushes. They don't catch rabbits that are scurrying around the countryside, the CLE spawns a dead rabbit into the snare, the same way that apples ad berries are spawned into the game. Ask ten people and you will get eleven opinions on the best location to place the snare. The key is to leave the area. While it is possible, most of the time loot, including dead rabbits, will not spawn within the immediate vicinity of a player.

• Like 1

If you don't like apple picking, don't pick apples, there are other ways to get by. Apple picking is just the easiest, most-straightforward and universally applicable method. Once you start acquiring gear and moving away from the high-traffic areas your options for food expand quickly. You can hunt, fish, eat other players, farm, whatever you like - it's possible you can even get by on finding packaged/canned food if you visit out of the way places. Fishing is where most of my calories come from a couple hours into a new character. Maybe an hour or two or so after my screenshot above I had a little spot where I had two rabbit snares set up above a pond in which I was fishing.

You live just like me. :D I have been living only in the woods and occasionally checking some houses for the required tools. Yes I needed to resort to apple picking sometimes but in the end I got light green energized and hydrated by only fishing. I even got healthy thanks to fishing. The only dissadvantage is that you need to find some rope which is really hard. Luckily this problem will be tackled whenever we get the animals back. However finding worms will be a problem then because you need a Farming Hoe or a Shovel. <_<

But in the end, I love this update! This makes it almost 100 % possible to live in the woods without having to loot any house.

Now for all you whining Call of Duty-people who want to find 1000 packages of Rice when they spawn in. Above here is the real way of never dying of starvation. Learn to adept!

....schnnipp

Rabbit snares work exactly like apple trees and berry bushes. They don't catch rabbits that are scurrying around the countryside, the CLE spawns a dead rabbit into the snare, the same way that apples ad berries are spawned into the game. Ask ten people and you will get eleven opinions on the best location to place the snare. The key is to leave the area. While it is possible, most of the time loot, including dead rabbits, will not spawn within the immediate vicinity of a player.

Its enough to break the line of sight, so, place the trap around an house corner and you can sit and wait the roundabout 15 minutes until the rabbit is spawned in or not.

• Like 1

Why do people still insist on picking apples?

Did they remove the chance for a rotten one?

Unless rotten apples were removed, learn to identify and pick red berry bushes.

I would say rabbit snares uses the same mechanic like picking apples (ofc, I could be wrong), so they don't catch an AI rabbit, but the dead rabbit spawns in the snare after a short period of time.

Before I enter a city, I delpoy rabbit snares, mostly in treelines, or make garden plots.

After I have looted the city or after a short time (10-15min), I go back to the place where my stuff is and have a look. Sometime I'm lucky and caught a rabbit, sometimes not.

(- success rate? 5of10? I don't know^^)

Thank you and the others answering about rabbit snares ... I started doing farming before entering a town and harvesting it when done myself, but only, when really neccessary, and only with pumpkins. It is a big risk, possibly getting you exposed to ppl camping your food :)

I have found loot in places where I have't seen it spawn in nine months, or more and a few paces where I have never seen it spawn. Also, I haven't seen it spawn in in places where it commonly used to spawn up until 0.55.

Ever since the beginning, the devs have represented the game as a survival, horror game. Some had discovered that due to its ARMA heritage, that it was also a pretty fun PVP free for all. Now that the devs are getting around to introducing farming, hunting, diseases and other survival elements, a vocal minority are complaining that the devs have ruined the (PVP) game. In reality, while PVP was always possible, that was never the thrust of the game. There are also quite a few people complaining that the game is a running and / or a starvation simulator, as if the devs could pull fully working vehicles and a feature complete and perfectly tuned CLE out of their butts. It was in response to these complaints that Hicks made his now famous remark. By the way, he said this on May 13, you only need to check his Twitter account to see the context.

The rare, but not that rare quote was in response to complaints about the lack of loot on 0.55 stable, when the devs discovered that there was, in fact, a bug with the CLE and that it was not spawning loot as intended.

Your answer about the quote confuses me though, I looked it up ... had read it yesterday but didn't find it earlier, you have to select "Tweets & Answers" to see it, not just "Tweets" ... twitter noob here :). It was about .055 like we both said, but the currently already overhauled cle was intruduced in .55 and then an older loot system was rolled back into .55 or did I get that wrong? I thought they did a complete redesign for the new one, so I thought that after the rollback to an earlier loot system the .55 stable and .56 new cle system did not really have anything to do with each other ... well besides maybe as a first step trying to reproduce what was already accomplished.

Now is the current loot system in .55 an older version of the exp cle again??? Did they "reroll it forward again"??? I thought they both had nothing to do with each other... . Getting highly confused here.

What also worries me is how in the same twitter discussion ho took a "they just made everything worse" and responded by "Well, I'm sorry you think I made things worse - but, its part and parcel with development." Don't know if taking that "they" and making it an "I" is that good.

I hereby start the "Hicksman, take a vacation movement". Just a few days, away from civilication. Take 1 or 2 friends and go camping, maybe fish, definitelly barbeque. Or if that's not your thing, do whatever else is extreme-relaxation for you.

Look in his tweet from May 15th: "One of these days I need to look into doing one of these vacation things."

Just do it and also lock down the whole buildings for a weekend, preventing anyone from entering.

Why do people still insist on picking apples?

Did they remove the chance for a rotten one?

Unless rotten apples were removed, learn to identify and pick red berry bushes.

Apple trees jump into your face everywhere, rotten apples seem to be out. More volume but also great hydration.

EDIT: Apple spam searching works, with berries you get cancel action ... should be also there for apples I guess, but isn't.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1