Sign in to follow this  
Beizs

The Bone Condition Stat (Why you get one hit)... Why does it exist?

So, many of us have seen, experienced or heard about the hidden stat that is responsible for your getting one hit by zombies every now and then. This has a few names, the most common being 'Spinal Fracture' or 'Bone Condition'.

For those who do not know, every time you take damage, your 'bone condition' deteriorates. To our knowledge, it does not regenerate. At all. This means that the longer you have a character, the lower the stat gets. Once the stat hits 0, you die. No take backsies, no way to combat it (besides never getting hit - good luck with that). So, say you have a character for a week. Say he gets hit 100 times over this week. Then, one day, you're running through  a city. You're fully healed, in perfect condition and without a care. A zombie runs up to you. You go for a head shot with your axe - and suddenly, you're dead. Did you get sniped? No. You got killed by a single hit from a zombie because of an invisible stat you can do nothing about.

So, I just want to ask. Can anybody justify this stat? In real life, repeated small damage to your bones strengthens them (assuming it's not a genuine injury). The mechanic makes no sense to me. The longer somebody survived in a post apocalyptic world, the better their body would be suited to it - your body adapts to how you live. So, if anything, it should be the reverse. As you go on, you take less damage from things like zombies hitting you.

However, I don't think that would be a good gameplay mechanic - and would be incredibly difficult to get just right. But the bone stat mechanic is also a terrible one, in my opinion. The only thing I could justify it with was the possibility that maybe that's you 'getting infected', but really, it doesn't make much sense and it seems like the survivors should be/are immune to the virus.

So, why does this exist?

P.S. For an in depth explanation on the 'bone condition' stat, I'd recommend going on to YouTube and checking out WOBO. Here's one video specifically addressing it.

Edited by Beizs

This is such a zombie conspiracy theory topic. It was unintended and in 0.56 is fixed:

zoMn1Wx.png

• Like 7

Its legacy code.

If your energised/hydrated and healthy/healing in next patch it will repair itself over time.

• Like 1

I like th fact that you can be one-hitted. It's means even if you are a lone wolf, fully geared up and you never confront other players a Z can come along and ruin your day.

There are enough real life examples of people being killed by the horribly termed "king hit".

Not every injury totally heals, I have a knackered hip, knee and elbow from mountain bike wrecks. They've never fully healed.

• Like 1

It was probably put in to make sure that no characters live forever. You just need to get that one unlucky hit and you're gone. Just like real life.

• Like 1

Hey, why not do a search on "bone condition" before you post ?

This is just one example from 2014  :

<< "Bone Condition" stat has NOT been changed, coz it does not exist, that means nothing to change.
Spinal Fracture for Bone Condition Stat does not exist, so that means it can not be removed, due to non-existence.

I don't know why Wobo come up with Bone Condition Stat in his video in first place. >>

what is wrong with you guys  ??

xx

Hey, why not do a search on "bone condition" before you post ?

This is just one example from 2014  :

<< "Bone Condition" stat has NOT been changed, coz it does not exist, that means nothing to change.

Spinal Fracture for Bone Condition Stat does not exist, so that means it can not be removed, due to non-existence.

I don't know why Wobo come up with Bone Condition Stat in his video in first place. >>

what is wrong with you guys  ??

xx

Then why would a dev post a tweet about it being fixed in 0.56?

• Like 1

"Bone condition" is a name coined by Aggathor as he noticed similarities to the system responsible for fractures. And being an (obviously) unfinished part of the damage model he assumed that it might be meant for things like "spinal fracture". Another user here on the forums (sorry I forgot your name) considered it some kind of "legacy hitpoints" instead.

As they said it was regenerating now my assuption is that there are indeed plans to do something with it.

Edited by Evil Minion

I like th fact that you can be one-hitted. It's means even if you are a lone wolf, fully geared up and you never confront other players a Z can come along and ruin your day.

There are enough real life examples of people being killed by the horribly termed "king hit".

Not every injury totally heals, I have a knackered hip, knee and elbow from mountain bike wrecks. They've never fully healed.

I partially agree with that but I don't see dying from my next motorbike whipeout based on cumulative bonks and thumps. My ankles sure sprain easy if I don't wear at at least mid top boots though, I do suppose my fractured vertebrae in my neck could be a one hit kill given the right circumstances.

And no one ever said it didn't exist just that it was a wip/some other acronym I'm not familiar with and now apparently being finished, fixed in the next patch... yeah.

I partially agree with that but I don't see dying from my next motorbike whipeout based on cumulative bonks and thumps. My ankles sure sprain easy if I don't wear at at least mid top boots though, I do suppose my fractured vertebrae in my neck could be a one hit kill given the right circumstances.

And no one ever said it didn't exist just that it was a wip/some other acronym I'm not familiar with and now apparently being finished, fixed in the next patch... yeah.

Agreed. Maybe you could include limping in the game? Or have a friend saw off your arm if you get bitten or shot and infection kicks in? Got to be better than the grey fuzzy screen?

This is such a zombie conspiracy theory topic. It was unintended and in 0.56 is fixed:

zoMn1Wx.png

That, to me, doesn't imply that it was unintended at all. The fact that they said that it's now healing (rather than removing it) implies that it was an intended mechanic that either wasn't finished or they've now changed.

However, thank you very much for that post. I'd had a bit of a break from DayZ for a few months and haven't really been keeping up with twitter etc. I wouldn't quite call it conspiracy theory stuff though, considering the fact that it was proven, whether unintended or not (though it'd never been confirmed as a bug, as far as I ever saw, even once pointed out, implying it was intended at least in some form).

I agree that some injuries don't heal properly in real life - that's obvious. I would love to see some kind of lasting injuries in game that can only be 'healed' by killing off your character. However, the fact that you can just straight up die from a single hit after a while is, in my opinion, ridiculous. It looks like the devs agree, considering the fact that they've now changed that. Limping, missing limbs/prosthetics and other injuries would be awesome to see, though I assume they'd be later additions to the game.

Edited by Beizs
  • Like 1

That, to me, doesn't imply that it was unintended at all. The fact that they said that it's now healing implies that it was an intended mechanic that either wasn't finished or they've now changed.

However, thank you very much for that post. I'd had a bit of a break from DayZ for a few months and haven't really been keeping up with twitter etc. I wouldn't quite call it conspiracy theory stuff though, considering the fact that it was proven, whether unintended or not (though it'd never been confirmed as a bug, as far as I ever saw, even once pointed out, implying it was intended at least in some form).

Well, so this post alone didn't suggest to me it was unintended but rather something they said about it previously. Can't recall the source right now though.

• Like 1

Well, so this post alone didn't suggest to me it was unintended but rather something they said about it previously. Can't recall the source right now though.

Will have a look around. Cheers dude.

..//..

However, the fact that you can just straight up die from a single hit after a while is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

..//..

you can in fact die from a single zombie hit when you are 100% fresh spawned and energized

check it out

Agreed. Maybe you could include limping in the game? Or have a friend saw off your arm if you get bitten or shot and infection kicks in? Got to be better than the grey fuzzy screen?

I can get behind that, I drag my left heel and wear out my boots funny from shit I did 20 years ago. That never goes away but, I don't die when I get in fight from torso hits eons ago.

• Like 2

Will have a look around. Cheers dude.

I remember Hicks (?) tweeted after Agathor discovered it, to say it was unintended, a legacy issue and wouild be sorted. Very nice to see that this has come to pass.

• Like 2

I would rather have more accurate zombie animations pertaining specifically to attacks and have one hit that draws blood infect/kill you. I'm not a fan of being able to take dozens and dozens of hits from infected only to bandage and move on.

In every zombie flick ever, if you get hit, you're fucked. Your friends then have moral dilemmas figuring out what to do with you.

TL;DR:

More concise zombie movements which make avoiding attacks a little more straightforward coupled with severe penalties for not managing to dodge said attacks.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 1

When I first saw WOBOs video I assumed it was to help with players surviving too long. But if they want fresh spawns they could've just wiped during Wed maintenance...either way it will be fixed with .56.

Never experienced this myself thankfully.

Bone conditions aside, I think at least the potential for a zed to break your leg in one-shot should exist.

Maybe an extremely low chance but the fear factor of that happening should be there.

Got to be better than the grey fuzzy screen?

That grey, fuzzy screen is part of the reason for the near-vertical learning curve on this game.

First day of gameplay:  Spawn in, run to barn, slip off stairs and die.  Respawn, run towards nearest house, go inside to escape aggroed zombie, get battered by zombie because your hitbox is stuck in doorway, die.  Respawn, run through forest, finally find a weapon in a shed, then find a well, get battered while drinking, but manage to kill zed and patch up; run in circles until you starve to death because you can't see well enough to find an apple tree or berry bush that isn't two inches from your face.  Respawn, run away from zombie that got a bunch of free shots while you were spawning, get enough distance to climb a ladder to bandage,  lay down waiting for zombie to leave, climb down ladder and get bgeaten by a different zombie that you couldn't see because of the grey, blurry screen.

DayZ: the game that scales its difficulty UP, when you are doing very poorly.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like 1