Persistence wipe for 0.56

Persistence wipe, yes or no?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should it be reset for 0.56

• Yes, to get rid of the lootsplotions
    • Yes, to start fresh(ie)
    • No, It will work anyway
    • No, are you dumb for real?

I was thinking, If the 0.56 is implemented on the stable branch, and the central loot economy starts to do its thing.
On the servers with the crazy loot bombs in military bases, kiosks and sheds, will the items in those places persist until monkeyd with and put a stopper in the loot balancing itself out? stopping the loot from distributing in a consistent way across the entire map?

So i decided to make a poll. how do you, fellow alphertesters see the chance of having the entire thing reset, to get actual data from the loot economy?
(fully aware that the poll won't change devs minds about what to do, or how to implement the stuff.)

Edited by SpoonsandForks

The loot tables will change the loot spawns, I don't really understand the purpose of this poll unless it concerns character and tent wipes.

• Like 2

The loot tables will change the loot spawns, I don't really understand the purpose of this poll unless it concerns character and tent wipes.

I'm thinking that the total number of specific items, for example, an ak-74 on a server, if it is set to a standard number of ex 6, and all of them are in a single barrack, the server won't spawn any new items in the other barracks until it has been picked up from there. or am I wrong?

I'm thinking that the total number of specific items, for example, an ak-74 on a server, if it is set to a standard number of ex 6, and all of them are in a single barrack, the server won't spawn any new items in the other barracks until it has been picked up from there. or am I wrong?

Surely the patch itself is going to sort that problem by wiping all the servers? They'd be pretty silly to roll the patch onto servers with existing loot and then try and figure out the data after that.

I assume at some point things like tents etc will survive patching but at this stage you're probably gonna need to pack up your tent and everything too. The only things that  will survive will be what's on your character at the time. 

Disclaimer: The above post is pure speculation and should in no way be taken as a statement of facts. The poster recognizes that conjecture is not a good way to run things, but fuck it, we all like to share our opinions. 

• Like 3

Well yeah if they REALLY need to wipe everything then at least let us keep things we have on ourselves. Alpher, alpher but it's not like the shit we have on ourselves will break something unless they mess with item names in their configs. Although I'm still more in favour of not losing all my hoarded shit.

• Like 1

I think a full wipe would be good.  All persistence; players, tents etc.. wipe the lot.

• Like 2

uhm no. I've over 10 chars, most of them fully geared and ghillied up. Obviously ive spent tons of time doing it.

I prefer "wiping" them myself.

Edited by halp

uhm no. I've over 10 chars, most of them fully geared and ghillied up. Obviously ive spent tons of time doing it.

I prefer "wiping" them myself.

Don't get attached to your gear x10 then  ^_^

• Like 5

Don't get attached to your gear x10 then

i know this rule, im not attached.

I just prefer loosing it due to bugs,players or my own stupidity.

Hey its for .logs, its for science.

PS; yet to find a lootsplosion in this patch.

Edited by halp

I would say it's almost guaranteed that they will be wiping persistence when 0.56 goes to Stable. There's no convincing scenario in my head where that doesn't happen.

Depending what kind of changes are made to the inventory system and things like gun attachments, we may even see a character wipe in 0.56 or 0.57. It's "about time" anyway, really.

hopefully they will give us enough time if they going to perform a character wipe...so we all can go battle royal out shoot anything that move and die trying :)

• Like 1

Persistance wipes happens every wednesdays... so not much of an issue there. Happened when .55 rolled in and when when they went back to the old loot system.

Character wipe on the other hand... not an issue to me. I like starting fresh once in a while. Am I expecting one for .56? definatly... too many weapon changes coming. Mosin's losing the LRS. Ak's losing the PSO and getting a new one. All the characters with such weapons would be too much to deal with to be worth the time.

i don't think a character wipe would be necessary since what you have on your character do not count on central economy system, but a persistence wipe is reasonable.

• Like 1

As far as I know the current iteration cannot work without wipes anyways. Now there could be just a change of system but it would put the game in a strange spot as those "lootsplosions" might stop loot from spawning elsewhere until they got picked clean. So the actual effects would be delayed - something you probably do not want as you want to test the new system.

A similar thing happens with players - the current system results in tons of overgeared characters that might warp the impact of the central economy either by being far more powerful than the new survivors or by providing additional loot.

So the best would probably be a character+persistence wipe but not having either might be... interesting.

Edited by Evil Minion

I'd say a complete wipe of everything is completely warranted and necessary.  starting from nothing is more interesting than sitting on backpacks full of stuff anyway.

• Like 1

Nobody should wipe the hive before they fix duping, sorry but if you don't do that, it's really unlogical.

Edited by Yazar8

Persistance wipes happens every wednesdays... so not much of an issue there.

No, they don't. Not anymore. Any wipes from this point forward, unless officially stated otherwise, will be pre-announced isolated wipes that don't follow a schedule.

Please do not spread misinformation.

• Like 2

I don't remember where but there was word on them either being able to or working towards being able to wipe persistence without wiping set up tents. I still see them needing many planned wipes of the map and possibly characters before 1.0 and a few whoops wipes as well. The private I'm playing on with my kids is giving mil gear like a pinata which is fun for "training" purposes but not the game I'm hoping this turns out to be. The amount and rate a two man team can move, hide, and hoard this stuff at is ridiculous.

*edit* I didn't vote because there's no box for polls are stupid and useless.  

Edited by BCBasher

I for one would like to see char and persistence wipes with every stable patch!

I would give a Kidney to get the loot back to the way it was when .55 first came out never mind a wipe , this legacy %^$# is The most Horrid thing ever.

I have a point to give about our characters. Isn't it the entire point of the game to get attached to your characters? Think about it, a major part of the thrill of meeting other players or running from zombies is the fact that you have worked hard on your character, helping him survive and explore, and you don't want him to die. If we cared little for the characters we work hard on, the thrill is gone. I understand don't get attached to the point that you put your fist through a wall when there's a wipe, but some frustration is totally justified. even if there is a chance for a wipe or death by bug, you worked hard on that character. Read some of the posts by developers about the game, they talk about the thrill of DayZ being the want of preserving your character. I'm not saying that the wipes are "stupid crapola, the devs are EVIL!", but people have the right to be a little miffed.

How are we supposed to accurately give feedback on loot quantities and distribution if we go into the patch surviving on good from the previous, pre-patch system?

When the game is in it's final form, we'll have reason to be upset about character resets. Until then, we've just gotta suck it up

• Like 1

Basically, what Boneboys said.

This poll has no value. 

I trust and want the developers to make the right decisions when it's time to make them.  To wipe, reset, and alter loot/mechanics for a good reason when they want to.

I have a point to give about our characters. Isn't it the entire point of the game to get attached to your characters? Think about it, a major part of the thrill of meeting other players or running from zombies is the fact that you have worked hard on your character, helping him survive and explore, and you don't want him to die. If we cared little for the characters we work hard on, the thrill is gone. I understand don't get attached to the point that you put your fist through a wall when there's a wipe, but some frustration is totally justified. even if there is a chance for a wipe or death by bug, you worked hard on that character. Read some of the posts by developers about the game, they talk about the thrill of DayZ being the want of preserving your character. I'm not saying that the wipes are "stupid crapola, the devs are EVIL!", but people have the right to be a little miffed.

Seems totally subjective.  I'll often challenge myself by seeing how many times I can die in one afternoon.  The thrill is still there.  I posit that a person will enjoy DayZ more if they become unattached to their gear entirely.  Becoming attached to your gear isn't necessary to fully enjoy the game.  That said, it wouldn't bother me at all if they wiped everything on Wednesdays.

Knowledge and experience are the most valuable things to loot in this game.  Leaps and bounds moreso than gear.

I was thinking, If the 0.56 is implemented on the stable branch, and the central loot economy starts to do its thing.

On the servers with the crazy loot bombs in military bases, kiosks and sheds, will the items in those places persist until monkeyd with and put a stopper in the loot balancing itself out? stopping the loot from distributing in a consistent way across the entire map?

So i decided to make a poll. how do you, fellow alphertesters see the chance of having the entire thing reset, to get actual data from the loot economy?

(fully aware that the poll won't change devs minds about what to do, or how to implement the stuff.)

Well, you're right about one thing - we can't make decisions that effect the entire playerbase from a poll. (Although it would be pretty cool if all 1 million+ active folks that cycle in and out each patch were active on the forums)

That said - There will be more wipes, both hive and local storage related as development is ongoing. On one hand I'd like to purge local storage with 0.56, but on the other - until we close off all major current duplication methods it might not be worth it.

I'll definitely give people a heads up prior to any storage resets - Hive, or Local.

• Like 4