Grimey Rick

@Patch 0.55 Elitists

I'm hating the 0.55 elitists right now.

Elitists are people who seem to be proud of themselves for playing the game when it is at its worst, as if playing a boring and unfun game is somekind of moral virtue. Elitists are the ones who claim that the only way to not enjoy the game is if you are bad at it and then proceed to list all of the guns they have.

Right now the game is broken, loot spawning is broken, zombies are a nightmare. Yet, if you go onto any thread on the forum you will somehow find people who claim that they love it for being so difficult. It's such a strange way of bragging. "I'm so good at day z that I can survive even when it's broken". Yeah, good for you.

Also I hate how everyone who isn't an elitist is somehow a Call of Duty playing 12 year old. It's such a lazy and ignorant insult. Do people not realise that there are tons of different kinds of players? The elitists are difficulty lovers who like to play games at the highest difficulty for a sense of achievement. That's ok but you have got to realise that roleplayers, simulators, PvPers, Casuals and, yes, 12 year olds also need to be catered for in any game. Enforcing your own playstyle as the only playstyle is like some kind of video game fascism.  

I don't understand why people seem to be so offended by complaints either. Most complaints I see are not from people raging or quitting. It's constructive criticism or else genuine expressions of frustration based on defined aspects of the game. YES. We know the game isn't finished but what are we supposed to do? Wait until it is finished and then complain? that's nonsense.

Now is the perfect time to complain. We should point out aspects of the game that don't work or are bad. BECAUSE THIS IS THE TIME THAT THE DEVS CAN MOST EASILY FIX THEM.

Forgive me for using bold and capitals here but I really want people to hear this.

SAYING THAT THE GAME WILL BE FINE WHEN IT IS FINISHED IS INCREDIBLY DUMB

We don't know that. Maybe it won't be. The devs could add bad mechanics and not know they are bad because the elitists shout down opposition. We need to be able to comment on and discuss new features as they are added. When something about the game is wrong in your eyes (like food rarity or zombie strength in 0.55) then the most helpful thing you can do and must do is voice your opinion. The devs want to know what we think.

You guys are saying that you should not complain, you should stand by day z through thick and thin and trust that it will be the way you like it on release.

Look, everyone knows the game is not finished, EVERYONE knows that. But pretending that the game is fun or enjoyable when the devs add bad features is not helpful for them. Ignoring bad features or oversights or gaps or opportunities to make the game better is definitely not helpful. By completely ignoring the quality of the game and of its individual features during development and actively trying to bully critics off the forum you are hurting the game, you're hurting day z. End of story. 

I'm loving the 0.55 mega-elite right now.

The mega-elite are people who are proud to be playing a game they enjoy, and their morals and virtues prevent them from whining on the forums in the hopes of changing things. They don't worry about semantics and other crap - they just play the game and eat beans and tactical bacon.

Right now the game is playable, loot requires lots of effort, and zombies have learned to dance. Yet, if you go into any thread on the forum you will find whiners who just want to control how the game is developed so it caters to their personal needs. It's such a strange way of communicating. "hurr durr i ned moar gunz bcuz im 1337 sniper!11!" Yeah, good for you.

Also, I hate how everyone who isn't playing a survival/horror game is somehow a raging psychopath who does nothing but kill his fellow survivors. It's such a lazy and ignorant playstyle. Do people not realize that there are tons of different players? The mega-elite will enjoy this game as the survival/horror it was originally marketed as. And that's great, but you need to realize that there are roleplayers, PvPers, casuals, and 12-year-olds who need to adapt to the DayZ difficulty curve if they want to keep doing what they're doing. Enforcing all playstyles as equally valid and successful is like some kind of video game communism.

I don't understand why people seem to be unable to formulate their complaints properly. Most complaints I see are actually about an issue other than the one they purport to be about. It's pure angry criticism or frustration from being unable to control everything. This game is obviously unfinished, so why all the anger? Do people think development on a game as complex as DayZ happens by magic? That's nonsense.

Now is the perfect time to offer well-considered, well-worded opinions and analyses. We should point out bugs and legitimate issues instead of complaining. CAPSLOCK MEANS I AM YELLING INSIDE YOUR BRAIN.

Forgive me for trying to find new and exciting ways to yell my opinion into the void.

SAYING THE GAME SHOULD BE MADE YOUR WAY IS INCREDIBLY DUMB

ADDENDUM: Criticism and questioning are fine; they make life interesting. But you use a lot of terms like 'quality of the game' that are entirely subjective. In fact, they might only apply to you and to absolutely nobody else in the world. I get the need to complain, especially if it's a game you love. I get that rabid fanboys who defend a title and its creators are literally so prevalent on the internet that you could power the world for a year with just one day of their frothing, sanctimonious rage. But holy shit, dude, you need to get down off your high horse and get used to the real world. I find 0.55 to be a welcome and refreshing change of pace. It's not perfect, but it's the biggest step towards PvP/Peaceful Interaction parity since the SA was first released. I'm absolutely loving that I can talk to people who are more interested in living through the next couple of hours than shooting me for their Youtube or Twitch videos. This patch has not made things terribly difficult - it has made them diverse. Diversity is the spice of life, and should always be embraced. This patch has not made it more difficult to roleplay, PvP, or anything else. It's only made it more difficult to survive.

Welcome to DayZ. Try not to die.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick
  • Like 4

The elitists may well end up getting what they want, but they could end up being a lonely and dwindling crew.

Mookie, I respect your opinion and you're typically someone who makes well-thought-out posts. For that, I thank you.

In this instance, I must respectfully disagree. Every so often a patch comes along that stirs up a lot of outrage among a vocal minority of the community, and every single time it is taken as the "beginning of the end" for the playerbase, but that still hasn't happened yet (quite the opposite). If and when it happens, it would take a lot more than this ;)

• Like 2

Snip

In the very first line of your post you said that complainers shouldn't be listened to because they don't talk like adults. You then called me ignorant and an asshole.

Stopped reading after that. You know it's going to bad when people are blatantly hypocritical.

The mega-elite are people who are proud to be playing a game they enjoy, and their morals and virtues prevent them from whining on the forums in the hopes of changing things. They don't worry about semantics and other crap - they just play the game and eat beans and tactical bacon.

Right now the game is playable, loot requires lots of effort, and zombies have learned to dance. Yet, if you go into any thread on the forum you will find whiners who just want to control how the game is developed so it caters to their personal needs. It's such a strange way of communicating. "hurr durr i ned moar gunz bcuz im 1337 sniper!11!" Yeah, good for you.

Also, I hate how everyone who isn't playing a survival/horror game is somehow a raging psychopath who does nothing but kill his fellow survivors. It's such a lazy and ignorant playstyle. Do people not realize that there are tons of different players? The mega-elite will enjoy this game as the survival/horror it was originally marketed as. And that's great, but you need to realize that there are roleplayers, PvPers, casuals, and 12-year-olds who need to adapt to the DayZ difficulty curve if they want to keep doing what they're doing. Enforcing all playstyles as equally valid and successful is like some kind of video game communism.

I don't understand why people seem to be unable to formulate their complaints properly. Most complaints I see are actually about an issue other than the one they purport to be about. It's pure angry criticism or frustration from being unable to control everything. This game is obviously unfinished, so why all the anger? Do people think development on a game as complex as DayZ happens by magic? That's nonsense.

Now is the perfect time to offer well-considered, well-worded opinions and analyses. We should point out bugs and legitimate issues instead of complaining. CAPSLOCK MEANS I AM YELLING INSIDE YOUR BRAIN.

Forgive me for trying to find new and exciting ways to yell my opinion into the void.

Why is everyone so aggressive here?

Look you're exactly what you I was talking about. You proved me completely right look at this:

"And that's great, but you need to realize that there are roleplayers, PvPers, casuals, and 12-year-olds who need to adapt to the DayZ difficulty curve if they want to keep doing what they're doing. Enforcing all playstyles as equally valid and successful is like some kind of video game communism."

And then you say:

"SAYING THE GAME SHOULD BE MADE YOUR WAY IS INCREDIBLY DUMB"

So basically anyone who is not mega-elite needs to shut up and learn how to play the game your way. However, at the same time anyone who tries to dictate how the game should be made/played is an idiot.

What?

You also repeated what the other guys said and claimed that you find complaints offensive because they are angry and impolite. You express this in an angry and impolite way. Jesus christ dude, at least try to make sense.
Edited by Sebidee
  • Like 1

Right. @ all in thread

Too much angst, too much shouting and insulting.

Reign it in or ill start getting grumpy.

L

• Like 2

I'm finding the game fun and not boring, am I allowed to have different tastes then you or am I mentally defective?

I think the "quality" they're working towards is spot on am I wrong? Are you right?

You fucking casuals are a bunch of entitled spoiled little shits, hows that? 

From all your posts it seems like you're one of the biggest douchebags on the forums. No body said anything about anyone being mentally defective. Just cause some people may not be no lives who play the game for 15 hours a day and are 'casuals' doesn't mean they're wrong and you're more right you should really stop being such an ass you seem so negative

• Like 1

The only difficulty present in 0.55 that I've encountered is that there is no rhyme or reason to where most things spawn, that said, at this point that's working entirely as intended. Not finding matches (until the other day) and currently not being able to find cookware is a bit meh, no doubt. That all said, this is one of the easiest patches in that loot-splosions in outhouses are super common and there are assault/high-cap vests everywhere. It's also sunny all the time! The biggest challenge in DayZ in recent months is the rainy day spawn which can quickly lead to a cold-hungry death cycle and that doesn't exist at the moment. The over-abundance of backpacks, vests, etc. in 0.55 drastically reduce challenge.

Zombies really aren't that difficult. Take them down from range or better don't take them down at all. Sneaking is very effective. If you do get into a melee situation I've found the pickaxe and ice pick very effective. With headshots you'll drop them very quickly, even with body shots they'll tend to stagger giving you an opening.

This isn't about elitism, it's saying "adapt and you'll be fine", there's no special quality that makes people succeed in 0.55 except a bit of patience and a willingness to change ingrained behaviors.

• Like 3

What this topic could've been for example:

Seems like zombies don't make any voices. It's hard to get prepared for those when they can suddenly be 2 feet behind your back without knowing it even though they're spriting like crazy.

- Yep something is off with the audio. Likely needs some time to get the engine right on that when the random can opening etc. sounds still pop pretty often and sometimes audio just cuts off.

Zombies are making very fast hits and it's nearly impossible to dodge those. But at least I can't side step so easily and I need to engage or flee. Axe takes multiple hits before they die and I'm getting like 15 hits before I can kill one zombie. Any tips for zombie killing?

- Older zombies were pretty easy to kill without getting hit. Now you need to get used to get some hits back. It's still possible to kill them without getting many hits on you. Hit them on the head and they strafe and can't hit back. One handed weapon is the best for that. Seems like devs changed the zombies likely because they relly were too easy to kill without getting hit.

Loot balance doesn't feel right. Food is rare sometimes but sometimes I can find town full of loot. Vests are very common compared to earlier patches. I'm dying in starvation so do you have any tips to get food? Why I die so fast in starvation? Starvation shouldn't happen that fast

- At least you shouldn't die in starvation if you know that you can pick apples and berries. Finding canned food was and still is pretty common though. Seems like it depends on server/hive. Also coasts are looted almost immeaditly so get yourself in land if you can't find much on the couple first coastal houses. Btw check deer stands.

- Sprinting is the most energy/hydration consuming. Always jog unless you really need to sprint. This way you can get further without eating or drinking but naturally it's bit slower than sprinting. Get used to slower movement because the current sprint is ultra fast and there's even stamina system coming in DayZ.

Then there's the complaining way:

EVERYTHING IS SO GAMEBREAKING PLS FIX!!1 The game is unplayable. I've 20000h logged and you've ruined the game. This game is dead.

If you're just complaining only answers you'll get are those "elitist" answers.

• Like 4

Agreed. While i poke fun at hardmode pumpkin farmers, i direct my comments to those who solely imply that because myself and others who are unfortunately playing on broken servers, are noobs who are lazy need to l2p when they clearly dont know the situation.

I am not quitting the game because i understand these things are constantly tweaked. And if the hardmode guys love the game they are playing, then id love to experience it as well. Because they dont seem to understand that the game we are playing (broken server loot) is really not very fun for anyone.

or this if it was only a v3s eh dayz will be this hardcore i imagine in the end atleast i hope.

Edited by gannon46

Lol, if elitists really had their way games like WoW wouldn't have been dumbed down to cater to the whiny casuals.   Whiny WoW player, "It takes too long to level.". Whiny DayZ player, " zombies are too hard and it takes too long for me to get leet gear"

Let's not confuse hard with boring, guys. To clarify, I'm not hating on DayZ at all, I love the game. That much is obvious.

My main gripe is the attitude that's preventing itself in this thread, as I pretty much knew it would, I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Back to my original point, DayZ didn't get harder. At all. You can still flee from zeds without even being hit. They can't catch you. You can lock them in rooms and continue looting or you can just hold W and survive.

As far as loot, it's just more rare in coastal towns. Surviving isn't hard as long as you're making your way towards north west airfield. You won't die.

So yeah, don't confuse complaints of the game being boring as people thinking it's hard. Because hard, DayZ is not. Feelings of self-gratification because you can run away from a zed and you know enough about Chernarus to head inland doesn't make you a good player on a plateau above everyone else. To me, it just means you're more patient than I am, that's all. <3

I want the game to be brutally fucking difficult, but for reasons that test your ability as a player, not your patience. Maybe a mixture of both, but not STRICTLY patience. I want zombies to flat out kill me in ONE SCRATCH, just like ANY zed flick EVER. I want more loot to spawn, but in lesser quantities. Maybe you find 10% of a can of dog food that you know will make you sick, but you have no choice but to eat it. I want to find one to three .22 rounds in various houses instead of going three hours of constant searching before I find an ENTIRE BOX OF FIFTY. Things like that.

Zeds are currently easy. They can't hit you unless you're new, so how can they be a threat? Survival is easy too, you just need to sit down and play for hours at a time.

That, to me, is boring. Sorry that I feel differently than all of you badasses. Haha.

• Like 1

state your opinion POLITELY on the forums

Can I politely point out that you're the one calling people assholes.... :P

• Like 2

Mookie, I respect your opinion and you're typically someone who makes well-thought-out posts. For that, I thank you.

In this instance, I must respectfully disagree. Every so often a patch comes along that stirs up a lot of outrage among a vocal minority of the community, and every single time it is taken as the "beginning of the end" for the playerbase, but that still hasn't happened yet (quite the opposite). If and when it happens, it would take a lot more than this ;)

Yes I can see that. I'm not one of the "oh no, 0.55 has broken the game forever" people. It's less a point about content, and more a point about the effect that it may or will have on the player base.

I think it's too easy to lapse into clichés about people who play the game differently to you or I, or who enjoy different things about it. In an ideal world, the game should support as wide a variety of playstyles as possible - whatever one thinks of them.

• Like 1

Why does everyone only deal in extremes? If you play Day z you are either a hardcore survivalist or a 12 year old COD player who just wants to pvp. Do you guys not get that there are like 8 stages of player in between that? Having a game cater exclusively to one end of the spectrum is not good.

I think it's too easy to lapse into clichés about people who play the game differently to you or I, or who enjoy different things about it. In an ideal world, the game should support as wide a variety of playstyles as possible - whatever one thinks of them.

Exactly.
Edited by Sebidee

Lol, if elitists really had their way games like WoW wouldn't have been dumbed down to cater to the whiny casuals. Whiny WoW player, "It takes too long to level.". Whiny DayZ player, " zombies are too hard and it takes too long for me to get leet gear"

Sorry if I'm coming across as an ass but it's frustrating. This guy here sums it up for now this goes for us "hardcore" players.

I'm going to fight and argue to get what I want. It works for me IRL maybe it'll work here.

I should tone the language down a notch and not post before I finish my first coffee.

You know what's really, really dumb? Complaining about a work-in-progress not being what you want it to be like a screaming child.

This is the crux of the matter I think. It's not so much the criticisms, but the method of delivering those criticisms. People can argue the pros and cons of how loot spawns all day long and it doesn't bother me. But when someone comes in and starts throwing around "This game sucks! BI sucks! Your mom sucks! Your third grade teacher sucks! Everything in the world sucks!", it instantly renders their opinion invalid. I don't know why some people take changes that don't work as planned as some kind of personal attack by the devs. I can assure everyone the devs are not doing things for the sole purpose of making you (the player) irate. The way some people are foaming at the mouth you'd think someone from BI came to their house and punched their baby sister in the face.

If you don't like the latest patch, explain why. Make your opinion heard! Give feedback! Use the bug tracker! Do everything a person is supposed to do during early access. But for the love of god, don't come to the forums and go on a tirade full of hyperbole and excessive use of caps lock. It won't help make the game better and you look like a spoiled brat that's too young to be playing DayZ in the first place.

• Like 7

Elitists are people who seem to be proud of themselves for playing the game when it is at its worst, as if playing a boring and unfun game is somekind of moral virtue. Elitists are the ones who claim that the only way to not enjoy the game is if you are bad at it and then proceed to list all of the guns they have.

Right now the game is broken, loot spawning is broken, zombies are a nightmare. Yet, if you go onto any thread on the forum you will somehow find people who claim that they love it for being so difficult. It's such a strange way of bragging. "I'm so good at day z that I can survive even when it's broken". Yeah, good for you.

How is it bragging to enjoy a challenging game? That is what's fun for us, we aren't being elitists. Tell me, what was it it you liked about DayZ before .55? PvP? Because that was literally the only challenge in DayZ.

Everyone says looting is joke now... I say it was a joke before. What was the point of it? There was no challenge before. All you had to do was walk around for 15 minutes or so and be fully geared, healthy, and ready to fight. How is that fun? It's like the worlds worst FPS re-spawn timer. If your only enjoyment comes from PvP the lottery of finding good gear in your 15 minute re-spawn grind, then I frankly don't see the point in playing DayZ. I hate to say it but there are plenty of other games that provide strategic PvP, including CoD (to a lesser degree). We are not bragging, we just enjoy the survival elements of DayZ along with the PvP. Before .55 there really wasn't any survival at all... it was easy, unchallenging and boring.

Like BeefBacon said:

DayZ is a survival game with PvP and PvE elements, not a PvP game where you have to eat every now and then.

• Like 1