boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

-snip-The predominant gameplay style I experienced was - same as in the versions before 0.54  - sniping in a bush somewhere. I doubt that will go away. Not moving is an energy efficient style after all and ppl don't seem to get bored by it.

This is where you're wrong.

You are under the impression that even the way the mod was played was the way Rocket envisioned the game, which it wasn't.

IF you can ONLY factor in the authenticity aimed for with the health, stamina, and disease in the game, you will find that sniping in a bush somewhere becomes much more difficult.

Oh yes, people will play as murderers and murdering snipers that is a valid role in DayZ. But it will take A LOT of dangerous looting and crafting to get to the point where you can snipe bambi's. You know, a "challenge".

Now just look at the difference in my thinking with the terminology. Notice I didn't say Bandit (which is defined in dictionarys primarily as a thief) I said murderer, we need to take these terms back to their original meanings, it's all part of the psychology behind what this game experience SHOULD be.

A KoS player is not a survivor, they are a murderer.

You can be a neutral survivor and truly avoid incoming bullets because bullets shorten your lifespan.

Do you see the difference now, man?

ARMAIII probably has what you want.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 2

I'd like someone to explain to me how you would open an aluminum can with just a stone knife IRL. Is this a feature in DayZ?  I've never bothered to try,

It used to be if you crafted a stone knife, you could use that to open cans an would always get a very high percentage on those cans. That has been fixed now (I think it is a good fix, I dont see any reason stone knives should be better than something else). However, since we are on the subject, I dont really see the reality factor here... you open a can with a blunt object and it says you lost some on the ground and then the can says 12% or whatever. If I was starving and I had to use steak knife to open a can of beans, and some of those beans dropped on the ground, I am going to eat those beans from the ground, sand and all. 

Please back matches....

Hear hear...!!!

I've asked Eugene to check, I assume they are spawning, although I have yet to find any myself.

In the meantime you can light fires with road flares.

Not sure about the sauce pans...

• Like 4

Okay, seriously surviving now. Those sweet, sweet berries. The dark bush is the one that doesn't kill you.

Out of hopelessness and depression, drank my Alcohol Tincture.

Survived.

Must be Russian genes.

What kind of country bottles non-drinkable alcohol? What's wrong with using good old C2H5OH for disinfection?..

Killed a deer, skinned it with the Hunting Knife I used to open canned food with. Mmm, peaches.. that was so long ago.

The knife is almost ruined. I might have to make a stone one soon.

The trick is to have the foresight to pull your meat out before the campfire disappears. May take two or three campfires.

Drank another tincture. I think I'm getting good at this.

Welp, that was a waste… Guess I'll need more meat now. Glad I saved some. Only two matches left.

Of course it rains.

I'm loving 0.55 so far.

But when I come out of the woods, I won't be a very happy person. >:(

P.S. Some blurriness or double vision in a poisoned (mild / severe / chemical) state would be great.  B)

Edited by Veyda
  • Like 6

after respawn there is NO loot at all and you can die in 30 min from starvation - game for new players is totaly uplayable

This is where you're wrong.

You are under the impression that even the way the mod was played was the way Rocket envisioned the game, which it wasn't.

IF you can ONLY factor in the authenticity aimed for with the health, stamina, and disease in the game, you will find that sniping in a bush somewhere becomes much more difficult.

Oh yes, people will play as murderers and murdering snipers that is a valid role in DayZ. But it will take A LOT of dangerous looting and crafting to get to the point where you can snipe bambi's. You know, a "challenge".

Now just look at the difference in my thinking with the terminology. Notice I didn't say Bandit (which is defined in dictionarys primarily as a thief) I said murderer, we need to take these terms back to their original meanings, it's all part of the psychology behind what this game experience SHOULD be.

A KoS player is not a survivor, they are a murderer.

You can be a neutral survivor and truly avoid incoming bullets because bullets shorten your lifespan.

Do you see the difference now, man?

ARMAIII probably has what you want.

Why bring up the mod now? What does that have to do with anything? So it takes longer and is dangerous to get to a point where ppl can snipe bambis, a challange, and you wanna call what most call a bandit a murderer, fine. You confused me so much right now, I don't even know what #1 and what #2 it is you want to show me difference between. What exactly of my post are you refering to???

Maybe you misread "The predominant gameplay style I experienced" as "The predominant gameplay style I play", but even then I can't get sense out of your answer.

I will let a friend counterread the posts tomorrow, maybe I got a blocked blood vessel in the speech center of my brain or something.

In my last post I wrote:

I am ranting because of your responses to his admittedly not perfectly phrased crizicism of the loot distribution. Your responses are

- SNIP

- that RamJamSham is "the exact person that SHOULDN'T be playing DayZ" and

- "t's amazing, isn't it? The game he wants to play literally exists in Arma." - how you got that idea is beyond me, but it seems to never go out of fashin in this forum to tell ppl to go play conterstrike, battlefield or in this case Arma if someone complains about not finding weapons, etc.

These answers are beyond presumptuous, practically anti-constructive and I fail to see any sense in them besides belittleing the poster who has an opinion you don't share. Telling him to play Arma, really...

And now you tell me that "ARMAIII probably has what you want." This starts to have comic value here.

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1

Hear hear...!!!

I've asked Eugene to check, I assume they are spawning, although I have yet to find any myself.

In the meantime you can light fires with road flares.

Not sure about the sauce pans...

Flares for fires is something I have not thought about yet. Btw, are they used up then? in the past you could light then, put them back in your inventory and use them again later. And do gas stoves and lamps also work to ignite a fire ... gas is precious after all in the apocalypse... .

Experience lots of day/night cycles in a single session. The world feels more alive and you feel like you're surviving for days.

call me crazy but i always thought accelerated time would be ideal for Dayz . 1 the food drink levels required to survive make more sense with days passing at much faster rate. 2 having a day night cycle in a single play session thus allowing you to experience all times of day and MAY get players to get use to night time play when they know they will only have to face it for couple hours..

in the past you could light then, put them back in your inventory and use them again later.

That works, iirc a road flare has an active life of 20 mins, although the values may have changed since last I checked.

I don't recall seeing a gas stove in the 20 odd hours I've played 0.55, nor a banana for that matter  :D

Why bring up the mod now? What does that have to do with anything? So it takes longer and is dangerous to get to a point where ppl can snipe bambis, a challange, and you wanna call what most call a bandit a murderer, fine. You confused me so much right now, I don't even know what #1 and what #2 it is you want to show me difference between. What exactly of my post are you refering to???

Maybe you misread "The predominant gameplay style I experienced" as "The predominant gameplay style I play", but even then I can't get sense out of your answer.

I will let a friend counterread the posts tomorrow, maybe I got a blocked blood vessel in the speech center of my brain or something.

In my last post I wrote:

I am ranting because of your responses to his admittedly not perfectly phrased crizicism of the loot distribution. Your responses are

- SNIP

- that RamJamSham is "the exact person that SHOULDN'T be playing DayZ" and

- "t's amazing, isn't it? The game he wants to play literally exists in Arma." - how you got that idea is beyond me, but it seems to never go out of fashin in this forum to tell ppl to go play conterstrike, battlefield or in this case Arma if someone complains about not finding weapons, etc.

These answers are beyond presumptuous, practically anti-constructive and I fail to see any sense in them besides belittleing the poster who has an opinion you don't share. Telling him to play Arma, really...

And now you tell me that "ARMAIII probably has what you want." This starts to have comic value here.

First of all.

I cannot be bothered to read ALL the giant blocks of red text in that second to last post because it makes my eyes bleed.

To answer your 2nd obnoxious red block of text.... If you can't handle problems encountered while TESTING the elements of this ALPHA you should not be TESTING IT.

Whether you meant that was how you played or not, my points stand to reason.

If someone ASKS for a gameplay element ALREADY in ARMA (let's call it easily obtained items) I will tell them they should play ARMA.

Edited by BioHaze

Stop the squabbling, take it to PM's or FB or something..

• Like 2

Had much fun today sneaking around cities to get water purification tabs.

Even found a pack of 6 charcoal tabs.

Encountered a little strangeness though:

1. Painting a pristine bipod made it disappear.

2. I hit a wide tree hitbox at ~35km/h. Ruined my shoes, pants, and half the items in the pants.

3. Later I hopped in the V3S and tried to drive before closing the door. Got thrown from the moving truck at ~5km/h. Ruined my shoes as if my character's height was miscalculated.

Glad the heli sites last longer than a 4-hr restart. Encountered one before the restart that had no loot, but a couple hours later it had loot. :)

Edit: Just logged back in after a normal restart on a private master. A backpack carrying a few items (that I laid on the floor of a house) + 2 V3S's are gone.

Edited by whiskeytango
  • Like 1

Anyone seeing server restart warnings?

The server I'm on doesn't seem to have any.... just\, "session lost".

I can see warnings 30-15-10 and 5 mins before restarts, might be the private hives though. If they don't appear on public hive, does that mean the service provider didn't script them?

Flares for fires is something I have not thought about yet. Btw, are they used up then? in the past you could light then, put them back in your inventory and use them again later. And do gas stoves and lamps also work to ignite a fire ... gas is precious after all in the apocalypse... .

tried a flare today... " to dangerous to use that " whatever that means.....

I tried searching the posts and various threads, but didn't see anyone mention it. I always wanted this feature and even posted about it on the experimental branch thread for the 0.55 version since the menu idle character animations were back: holding a pistol if no melee or primary weapon available. My wishes came true...

2j5jiuw.jpg

Edited by Odin Lowe
  • Like 7

Those who think that we need a arma3 should go to Deep Stranded what they really want (make your house and garden and go fishing) peace and love.

Sims Z is approaching, yesterday i was playing all afternoon and all I got was ruining the superzombies clothing and boots to make miles and miles and finally die of thirst (super fun) irony on.

PD: Dayz is that feeling of panic, nervousness and fear you feel when you are going to steal or will kill you and that has disappeared.

Edited by elgui

Ok, you've made this game a lot harder now, and i welcome that but you need to balance hungry,thirsty and dying of starvation status. It's not that realistic to die of starvation after 1 hour of playing. 

tried a flare today... " to dangerous to use that " whatever that means.....

Did you by any chance try that in a building? You also get that message when you try matches in a building ... you know without fully operational fire departments, and there are no fireman any more, it is just to dangerous to play around with fire. What will you do if an unsuspecting bystanding zed accidently burns his fingers?

Edited by bautschi

1. Painting a pristine bipod made it disappear.

2. I hit a wide tree hitbox at ~35km/h. Ruined my shoes, pants, and half the items in the pants.

3. Later I hopped in the V3S and tried to drive before closing the door. Got thrown from the moving truck at ~5km/h. Ruined my shoes as if my character's height was miscalculated.

Edit: Just logged back in after a normal restart on a private master. A backpack carrying a few items (that I laid on the floor of a house) + 2 V3S's are gone.

I don't usually need the water purification tablets, because there are plenty of wells and drinking from streams doesn't make me sick, either. Why would it? It would be just as safe to drink from most springs in a forest in real-life.

I crash into those tree hitboxes a lot with the truck too. It's going to be so annoying when we have to repair the trucks, simply because the map has invisible obstacles. 

The worst part is really that you cannot trust the update. Persistency is pushed to on? Why is everybody making the opposite experience then? I play on the same server since 0.54 that was persistent during the weekly updates. Well, it isn't any more...

I spent almost the entire day yesterday roaming around, readying the camp. I usually do that after an update. To get set up to play with my group of guys. There is no point in doing this, when the tents and gear disappear after 2 or 3 restarts. This version is a lot of things and gets some praise for what it does right from me, but by god it is not helping with the persistency. And we never really get information about why it doesn't work or when it ever will. And I still don't get why the servers have such problems with persistency. I don't care if the food in town spawns again or spawns away, I just care about tents, backpacks and weapons. If these can be made to stay on a server no matter what, we be having ourselves a survival game...finally.

Ok, you've made this game a lot harder now, and i welcome that but you need to balance hungry,thirsty and dying of starvation status. It's not that realistic to die of starvation after 1 hour of playing.

What are you doing in that hour? Are you foraging at all? Are you sprinting everywhere? Don't try to use berries to get energized, that'll take forever but you can absolutely use them to stay alive if you stop here and there on your way inland and eat one or two. Hell, if you get desperate find a shovel/hoe/whatever and dig up some worms to eat. Unless you're freezing to death there's really no reason you should ever starve.

Those who think that we need a arma3 should go to Deep Stranded what they really want (make your house and garden and go fishing) peace and love.
Sims Z is approaching, yesterday i was playing all afternoon and all I got was ruining the superzombies clothing and boots to make miles and miles and finally die of thirst (super fun) irony on.
PD: Dayz is that feeling of panic, nervousness and fear you feel when you are going to steal or will kill you and that has disappeared.

How can you feel nervous or fear if survival is freaking easy in this game? I'm not interested in survive against players until the environment is hard enough. I don't really care if I lose my character on some KoSser, I just wonder everytime what was in his/her mind when he/she just decided to kill me, because everytime I've seen no other reason than just kill for nothing. When there's a reason to kill I can understand but currently in the game there's no other reason than the other was shooting at you or s/he insulting you through direct chat to do whatever to your mother.

It's an alpha, I know it, you know it, we all know it. Still sucks though. I've had that AK for weeks now and I was just looking for a mag for it. Never even got to fire it once. Lol.

That sucks. I suggest you keep an eye on r/dayz, I would've almost done the same mistake if I didnt see one of the Devs confirming the tents are bugged and wont stay.

Please back matches....

I finaly found one box yday! It's still in the game, altho i have to admit, i didnt see one for over 10hrs (different servers, publics&privates)

We could really use some sorth of improvised fire/ignition methods. Add that & another way to get the rope and the initial surviving will be pretty EZ as you will be able to craft a bow and make fire without hitting towns for ropes/matches. I believe impro. rope would be welcomed (it can always get terribad durability stats vs the rope/guts, say n-arrow shots) since you cant really get guts without a ranged weapon, unless the animal bugs into an object.

Edited by halp

I was thinking that some sort of improvised needle from bone (like we do with fishing hooks) + small animal guts could make for a nice improvised leather stitching kit. I still haven't found matches but I did get a flare... Now I just need a pot.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

That sucks. I suggest you keep an eye on r/dayz, I would've almost done the same mistake if I didnt see one of the Devs confirming the tents are bugged and wont stay.

I finaly found one box yday! It's still in the game, altho i have to admit, i didnt see one for over 10hrs (different servers, publics&privates)

We could really use some sorth of improvised fire/ignition methods. Add that & another way to get the rope and the initial surviving will be pretty EZ as you will be able to craft a bow and make fire without hitting towns for ropes/matches. I believe impro. rope would be welcomed (it can always get terribad durability stats vs the rope/guts, say n-arrow shots) since you cant really get guts without a ranged weapon, unless the animal bugs into an object.

Basic crafting necessities like matches, ropes, etc should be available quite a bit I think, otherwise ppl will find the "real" things before crafting improvised stuff. But Hicks once said in one of his streams that he thinks those things should be available, so I guess it will come. Concerning your guts rope...correct me if I misunderstand you, but if you make them less durable, we will need new items in the game, like "improvised backpack - the guts version" that will disolve after 5 hours of gameplay or has less armor or...of course that goes for all things guts related. For backpacks you could probably also use cloth strips from shirts or nettings maybe? Those should probably not disolve faster though. Maybe instead of the same item, rope in this case, with different durability, branching out the recipies would be nice. Like using a sewing kit, shirt strips burlap cor an improv courier bag and then you actually have a "real" courier bag.

That way you could not make a rope out of shirt strips for example and then use it to make a fishing rod ... no fish would bite there. Well I guess no fish will bite on a fishing rod with a real rope either, but that's a different story.

I was thinking that some sort of improvised needle from bone (like we do with fishing hooks) + small animal guts could make for a nice improvised leather stitching kit. I still haven't found matches but I did get a flare... Now I just need a pot.

Irl would that not rot away when getting dry and wet all the time? Not criticizing your thought, just curious... . I think you need a lot of chemical ingredients to make stuff like violon chords from guts. We use garden lime for leather, ... does that work irl?

• Like 1

Irl would that not rot away when getting dry and wet all the time? Not criticizing your thought, just curious... . I think you need a lot of chemical ingredients to make stuff like violon chords from guts. We use garden lime for leather, ... does that work irl?

I've no idea. I imagine it wouldn't be as good as modern industrial materials but people did stitch things before the industrial era so there's probably some functionality here. Improvised leather crated items should probably be less rugged than their conventional counterparts.