boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

Hello,

when I attached the gun holster to the plate carrier with the storage compartment already attached all items inside the storage compartment of the plate carrier vanished. Probably known but I thought I would post it anyways.

yap, it's a bug. I encountered it, my mate didn't believe me and tried it himself ... well, it was reproduced :D

This happened to me recently as well on the streets of Vavilovo.  My explanation at the time is that this is the result of the "spinal fracture" metric that WOBO has championed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wky22FdMY5w

and it sounds very reasonable as an explanation for your episode.  You character has a limited and defined amount of bodily damage that it can take (zeds, falls, being shot) and when that threshold is reached or surpassed you instantly die.  

I was one-hitted by a zed as well, and I was just as pissed about it.  On the other hand I had an event in a few days so I was *very* happy I didn't find out during that event.  Gave me time to re-gear with a fresh body.

It would be nice if they told us through a status update with delayed death or on the death screen itself or gave us a warning like "I feel brittle"  or "I dreamed of dying last night"   ;)

[Edit] Sorry about missing the spoiler tags

You hear it everytime it go down 25% a "aaaaa" sound when you get a hit. 4 times and you are dead.

The longer you live, the more skills you have. So to survive you need to use those skills to the max, minimize zed exposure by the max. Only hunting or gardening. We should need more ponds and jerry cans for that too, that will take less room in the inventory.

Edited by Hemmo NL

You hear it everytime it go down 25% a "aaaaa" sound when you get a hit. 4 times and you are dead.

The longer you live, the more skills you have. So to survive you need to use those skills to the max, minimize zed exposure by the max. Only hunting or gardening. We should need more ponds and jerry cans for that too, that will take less room in the inventory.

That vid significantly raised the profile of that "feature." Hicks responded by saying that it was legacy code that was a carry-over from ARMA, He said that they would look into modifying / eliminating this from the game.

Hmm.  Guess it never sunk in for me..  was wondering why sometimes my character screamed but had no messages about limbs being broken or about being in pain.  I guess that satisfies my request above to have some indicator when my body damage is low.  Thanks.

What is with the 24 hr loot respawn servers?

No warning on some of my favorites.

All that stash I lost. I am butthurt.

How is everyone faring after 55 days of 0.55? :)

• Like 1

quite well, i just read a lil something  on /R

TatankoThe Cartographer

Incorrect. The wait from 0.52 (Dec 17) to 0.53 (4 Feb) was about a month and a half (49 days).

We are now at 55 days since 0.55 came out.

Which is quite interesting. I remember i was playing ALLOT back then. Strangely i didn't notice it took so long. I must've had tons of fun during that patch.

Well, it shows it's nothing unusual and out of the ordinary like some try to portray it.

I hope ,57 will deliver with enough things to keep me going.

I have no doubt CLE will not be flawless at all, but that's okay.

In the end, the enjoyment of the game will imo boil down to performance and netcode, not to barrels.

At least in my experience, this seems to be the biggest issue making the game enjoyable;

Yoloing some of the chars before the wipe only confirmed this, as my positioning never really gave me an advantage due to desync and poor performance.

Yes, im aware It's alpha and that the polishing takes its place much later in the process, im just thinking out loud.

Once the game hits 1.0 people will mod it and im pretty sure they will touch the CEL/CLE? aswell.

I think lootsplosion private servers are a guarantee for the sake of pvp beach masses.

That being said, the economy work will be pretty nullified on many servers so i do hope there's more than just economy tweaking(loot respawning) postponing this update.

Performance-vise i did notice an increase and im really looking forward to that, because it means if im going to randomly log into a server to find out my character is in Svetlo/novi/cherno, I wont quit & change the server for a better location due to fps so low i have no enjoyment running out of the city @10-20 fps, let alone looting it.

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

Welp, after about what.... 4 - 5 months hiatus I recently re-discovered DayZ, and boy has it changed. Old bugs, new bugs, new Zombie AI and added Power to the Z's - all in all an enjoyable patch, although yes, you're gonna have to adjust your play style, even if you (like me) have always played "Survival" rather than PvP.

I found the best way once you get "geared" - which for me means food, clothing, water bottles and maybe one or two handguns plus ammo - is to start getting an easy to reach emergency stash together that you can get to quickly if you get into trouble while scavenging.

I do have to add that starting out as a Freshie has become quite a challenge. It's not terrible for the more experienced players I believe, but I believe the way it is now many newbie players just ragequit after 2 hours and 5 characters since they will get frustrated trying to get used to the game play while dodging z's and fighting for survival at the very same time. It can be a bit much all at once at the very beginning. Oh well.

Even once you're geared it's not exactly "easy" to survive - which is awesome - since you need a ton of stuff if you decide you want to live on hunting, fishing and growing plants. It takes time and you may get messed up by Zeds on the way - but hey, I wouldn't want to have it any other way.

All in all, Zeds being quiet gave me a couple heart attacks cause they jumpscared me, but it's a nice patch all things considered. And Chernarus' Alcatraz - damn, it's just freaking epic! Very happy with that one!!

Happy trails!

• Like 1

Welp, after about what.... 4 - 5 months hiatus I recently re-discovered DayZ, and boy has it changed.

Happy to have you back, buddy! :)

• Like 1

It's good to be back and have folks remember you :-) Not really sure how long I'll be sticking around LOL

But another question, and this is probably a dumb one - what ammo does the derringer take? .22 doesn't fit and I thought I remembered that it worked with those bullets before.

Also - why can't I find a Sporter anywhere? I know it's a comparatively weak gun but it seems to be the quietest out there and I found you really don't want to attract Zed's attention.

Stealth doesn't seem to work as it should yet, any tips on that? Crouch walking? Do Zed Animations tell you if they hear or see you nearby?

Man, I feel like a newbie all over again LOL

It's good to be back and have folks remember you :-) Not really sure how long I'll be sticking around LOL

But another question, and this is probably a dumb one - what ammo does the derringer take? .22 doesn't fit and I thought I remembered that it worked with those bullets before.

Also - why can't I find a Sporter anywhere? I know it's a comparatively weak gun but it seems to be the quietest out there and I found you really don't want to attract Zed's attention.

Stealth doesn't seem to work as it should yet, any tips on that? Crouch walking? Do Zed Animations tell you if they hear or see you nearby?

Man, I feel like a newbie all over again LOL

1. Derringer takes .45 ACP (same as FNX, 1911)

2. Sporter is easiest to find in the little one-room houses (this one).

3. Stealth isn't working properly on 0.55.

Okay, so after careful and muchly deathful testing, I tried out the theory that was outlined in the video, and there really seems to be that spinal damage death thing.*sigh* Is there any merit in keeping it up? I mean if you are gonna die of it without any possible rehabilitation of injuries sustained, I don't know if there's any reason to keep jumping in. Other for plain running around for poops and giggles I mean.

Does anyone know more about this and if the devs are working on recovery to sustained bone damage? I'm sorry I just haven't really been able to catch up for a long time, I'm doing my best though :)

Just remember: It's all shits and giggles until someone giggles and shits ^^

Okay, so after careful and muchly deathful testing, I tried out the theory that was outlined in the video, and there really seems to be that spinal damage death thing.*sigh* Is there any merit in keeping it up? I mean if you are gonna die of it without any possible rehabilitation of injuries sustained, I don't know if there's any reason to keep jumping in. Other for plain running around for poops and giggles I mean.

Does anyone know more about this and if the devs are working on recovery to sustained bone damage? I'm sorry I just haven't really been able to catch up for a long time, I'm doing my best though :)

I think that spine fracture thing is a remnant from Arma and the devs:

a) don't know how to remove it

b ) can't remove it, because it is part of a bigger system

c) won't remove it, because it will go away when the character updates are done

- all of the above are speculative, but it certainly wasn't coded in as a feature.

I can tell you I have my character alive since, I think 0.54 and I've been hit hundred of times by zombies. I got shot at and my clothes ruined several times. Flipped the truck, ruined my boots and got ill from food poisoning. And in all that time I hadn't had a single "spline-thing" death. Although one of my friends took a one-hit and got killed like that, and I think it happened to me in 0.54, too. But all in all it doesn't seem to happen that frequently, either that or I had an insane patch of luck. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

If I'm correct there was a tweet stating that in 0.56 it heals when you have the "healing" notifier/effect.

• Like 1

Exp gets released and this thread becomes this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

There's a reason for that, all the EXP people come here when there is no exp thread that's open.  Did you notice that .56 has more pages than this one?

Back on .55 though.

I shot two zeds from the top of a cargo crane in the Harbor at Cherno with a Trumpet.  It didn't agro either zed although I could see them react to being hit by the .22 bullet.  Took 3-4 hits to kill them.

I think that spine fracture thing is a remnant from Arma and the devs:

a) don't know how to remove it

b ) can't remove it, because it is part of a bigger system

c) won't remove it, because it will go away when the character updates are done

- all of the above are speculative, but it certainly wasn't coded in as a feature.

I can tell you I have my character alive since, I think 0.54 and I've been hit hundred of times by zombies. I got shot at and my clothes ruined several times. Flipped the truck, ruined my boots and got ill from food poisoning. And in all that time I hadn't had a single "spline-thing" death. Although one of my friends took a one-hit and got killed like that, and I think it happened to me in 0.54, too. But all in all it doesn't seem to happen that frequently, either that or I had an insane patch of luck. 

Since we have been discussing it...  this is in the change logs for v. 0.57 (exp.):

• Spinal fractures should be fixed now

Not sure who creates the content on that wiki page so accept the info at your own risk I guess.

• Like 1

Is persistence working now or does the sutff still disappear? Is there still a weekly wipe on wednesday?

Persistance is on on all public servers but do not trust it. It generally eats your items at will. Theres a weekly maintenace just like before. Private servers can have it on or off, weirdly enough.

• Like 1

Newb Alert!

Can anyone tell me when rabbits were added to the game? No, I'm not talking about the dead ones that spawn into your snare. I'm talking about the ones that go hippity hop down the bunny trail. I saw one this morning in Guglovo. I never saw one before; I guess I need to start paying more attention.

Newb Alert!

Can anyone tell me when rabbits were added to the game? No, I'm not talking about the dead ones that spawn into your snare. I'm talking about the ones that go hippity hop down the bunny trail. I saw one this morning in Guglovo. I never saw one before; I guess I need to start paying more attention.

I think you didn't see them for a long time, because same as all animals they would take a hike from a mile away ^^ I am not sure they were ever gone, just hard to see/find. 

I admit, I am excited about Wednesday's update. Keep fingers crossed for a jump to 0.57. I'm looking forward to a lot of stuff in that update. There is so much new, it will bring me and my friends together to play again, finally. Character wipe is no issue, I just hope/pray the update is stable enough. Anyone know if weather changes are returning?  

Rabbits have been in for quite some time, but they were invisible at first. 0.49 or 0.50 I think I saw one for the very first time.

• Like 1

Rabbits have been in for quite some time, but they were invisible at first. 0.49 or 0.50 I think I saw one for the very first time.

Thanks ...

That's crazy that they have been in the game that long and the fist time I saw one was the day before yesterday. Believe it, or not I saw another one yesterday, in Exp!

Those little bastards sure do move quickly!!!

Thanks ...

That's crazy that they have been in the game that long and the fist time I saw one was the day before yesterday. Believe it, or not I saw another one yesterday, in Exp!

Those little bastards sure do move quickly!!!

You've probably heard them, for the longest time they made one specific zombie noise.

You've probably heard them, for the longest time they made one specific zombie noise.

It's all starting to make sense now. I'll bet that they make that loud chewing noise that I keep hearing, when they are grazing on the grass ... and then they wash the grass down with a can of Spite!  :D

• Like 1