boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

So, on that persistence thing:

Some people said their backpacks/tents survived a restart, some said they didn`t.

I just tried that out for myself, everything was gone, 5 backpacks fully packed with stuff, and about 4 hours of horticulture resulting in loads of tomatoes, pumpkins and green bell peppers gone.

I`ve clocked in over 30 hours of .55 and I have not had an enjoyable session, even with a relatively good start, I managed to stay healthy and hydrated for 4 hours straight, then lost every kind of food and drink I had stored, and since I spent that time looting the surrounding areas, I already knew there was no loot to be had anymore, so yeah.

And those disregarding people who said they had a bad experience, saying they got everything they need, you seem to have gotten lucky, had about 6 fresh starts myself, to see what it`s like, and in 5 of those I simply could not sustain myself due to scarcity of foodstuffs. That last one, where I actually got lucky with my spawn, my session got killed by persistence not working.

So, eh, just gonna wait and see what changes are going to be made for the next patch.

I'm beginning to think that the server I play on is somehow set to reset after each restart. I find trucks and chopper crashes in always the same locations and there is a lot of loot, even food. So I'm beginning to realize why my experience is so much better in that regard than that of most other people. I just wonder if it is a server glitch or intentional, because that server in particular had always been very reliant with consistency (meaning my tents stayed up). I must have build six tents over the last 28 hours, none of them stayed. Perhaps it is time to change the server. It seems other people build tents and they stay on. Has anyone had their tent for more than 24 hours now? I really want to start building a camp again :(

These will reduce it, no doubt, but, as sad as it is, whitelisted private hive servers full of like-minded individuals will probably always remain the only ultimate answer to KoSing.

Then again, without a chance of running into at least some KoSers, where's the thrill? :)

Totally, I still feel some rage at KoS but I consider the risk of murder as a legit part of playing DayZ out in the wild.

I play daily when I'm home and have adapted a lot of strategies for avoiding KoS as a solo player.

It never fails to backfire when I make exceptions.

Today my valiant zombie slayer paid the ultimate price.

Edit:

-snip-

most public servers are ok, but there is some case where you just can't find shit :) .

I believe this to be accurate.

It sounds like you gave it a good effort to make the most of that server and had no luck.

I KOSed some girl picking apples today. snip-

On a side note. Grew way to many pumkins so i laid 3 out in the road for newspawns to find.

-snip-

i·ron·ic
īˈränik/
adjective
adjective: ironic

happening in the opposite way to what is expected, and typically causing wry amusement because of this.
"it was ironic that now that everybody had plenty of money for food, they couldn't obtain it because everything was rationed"

synonyms: paradoxical, incongruous

"it's ironic that a former illiterate is now a successful writer"
Edited by BioHaze

LOVING THIS! :D Started to write a story but decided to just list some interesting stats from my current life which tell a bit of a story about my time with this patch.

To summarise though, I am really enjoying this patch. You have to be so much more careful around zombies. It's a struggle to stay alive at times with the scarcity of food. Will be made ever better when you get sick from drinking pond water. As well as removing a little bit more canned food and upping the animal count again for true survival. We are definitely going in the right direction and it's the most fun I've had with the game in a long time, not that it wasn't fun before, I just see this as a massive step up. Keep it coming!

Time alive - 15 hours (And counting... :))

Distance covered - 1 lap of Chernarus

Friendlies met - 5

Bandits met - 2

Bandits killed - 2

KOS by me - 1 (sorry, I panicked! :( )

Apples attempted to pick - 30ish

Apples successfully picked - 0

Times drank out of pond without purifying water - Too many to count

Times got sick from drinking unpurified water - 0

Helicopter crash sites found - 2

Trucks found - 5

Trucks crashed - 1

Trucks flipped - 1

Zombies met - Wayyy too many to count

Zombies killed with melee - 0 (Too dangerous! :lol: )

Zombies killed with guns - Wayyy too many to count

Zombie hitchhikers picked up on truck - 2

Animals found - 0

Useful items found at prison island - 0

Matchboxes found - 1

Long range scopes found - 0

Tents found - 1

Tents lost to persistence not working - 1

Edited by Rossco
  • Like 5

Has anyone gotten fires working? I tried making a fireplace four times but it just vanished. Also, are there really any animals this patch? Because I often see chickens, deer and pigs but haven't seen one yet in this patch

All of my characters except one are now starving. There's nothing to find except apples, berries and worms. Playing as a newspawn is hopeless as I've yet to find a backpack or rope to make an improvised for the damn apples.

NW airfield, vybor base and Myshkino base are empty. I haven't been to Zelengorsk or the military base nearby but I guess theres nothing there. Prison island is also empty. I've found lots of police cars but no heli crashes. The police cars have been empty.

I don't know how people who claim to find loot play, but I mostly play on the same five private servers all the time and only occasionally play on public. Those who find loot must play on rarely used public servers. I did actually try going to an empty 1pp public server but it was as empty as the rest. And on my last playthrough I had a medium-geared character in the middle of the map where nobody goes, looked in every house and found 2 items of clothing and a thermometer.

This is not my idea of fun. Before you could actually start fresh and have a chance of finding new gear relatively quick. Now if you die with a geared character, you might as well stop playing as newspawns have it so rough.

It might appeal to those who have played this game as long as I have and want a new challenge for their fully geared characters but I believe that anyone who buys the game now will play it for a few hours and then just give up, its too unforgiving.

The mode we have now should be Hardcore mode and the mode we had previous to this patch regular.

Edited by Killawife
  • Like 1

We're all RP'ing a guy who ate a bad Easter Ham.

Just looking for toilets.... "Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go!".

May still be a problem with tents. I had managed to get a small camp setup, 3 tents, stone fireplace and a vs3 in case I got killed I could make my way back and gear up easy.  My camp persisted for 2 or 3 days just fine, it was always there when I came back to drop off the next bit of loot. I decided to venture pretty far away and the vs3 I was driving got destroyed, so I started making my way back on foot.  Couldn't play for a day or 2, finally made it back to my camp today  and everything is gone.  It is not very likely that it got raided, it was in a pretty remote, out of the way place not near anything, and even if it had been raided tents are pretty much all over so they most likely would have been left to make room for all the loot.  If the servers are still cleaning them up if it thinks there are too many, perhaps its "timer" gets reset when you interact with it, but go too long/too far away and it may be gone. Also ran into a bug, painted my ak74u black and the mag that was in it disappeared, so if your gonna paint a gun take everything off of it beforehand.  I also noticed that vs3's that are flipped/destroyed/out of gas get reset to full, useable condition in the exact same spot they were left on a restart

[Edit].....May have been a total server reset, a smoking Blackhawk heli crash site that had persisted in the same location for the few days my camp was up is now a soviet heli with no smoke cloud. If that is the case then it is still not safe to leave tents up for the normal Wednesday resets

Edited by SyKotic

Lmao. My opinion of this update:

Zombies:

I don't understand the hate. Even though there are more zombies, it is easy to avoid them when you see them, as you can just keep at a distance and run around them without getting close to them in their direct view and they won't see you or be agro. Even though they're tougher to kill, they seem to do less damage. I can take about 8 hits now before I start to bleed.

Loot:

This is a big issue. Literally "Starving Simulator 2015". I've had a fresh spawn 3 times and each time I have starved to death in about 15 minutes before I could find any food. This is literally ridiculous. I checked numerous towns and found absolutely nothing. One time I was actually able to make it to an orchard before I died of starvation so was able to spend 15 mins picking enough apples to run to the next town before I found nothing there and starved to death again a little while later. I also went to numerous military bases and airfields before I died for the first time, when I actually had food, and found no loot at all. Like literally nothing except a couple of hardhats, painkillers and vitamins. No camo gear, tactical gear, weapons or ammo. Please fix.

Hahaha Yess ! Starving Simulator 2015 !  

I like that also Why patch is called stable ? really ?
Edited by yimmasabi

Eject the one round, then you can load it. You can only load when the gun is empty.

Have an empty space in your inventory when you eject rounds. If you eject rounds onto the ground they may vanish.

Okay, that makes sense! Thank you! :-)

• Like 1

May still be a problem with tents. I had managed to get a small camp setup, 3 tents, stone fireplace and a vs3 in case I got killed I could make my way back and gear up easy.  My camp persisted for 2 or 3 days just fine, it was always there when I came back to drop off the next bit of loot. I decided to venture pretty far away and the vs3 I was driving got destroyed, so I started making my way back on foot.  Couldn't play for a day or 2, finally made it back to my camp today  and everything is gone.  It is not very likely that it got raided, it was in a pretty remote, out of the way place not near anything, and even if it had been raided tents are pretty much all over so they most likely would have been left to make room for all the loot.  If the servers are still cleaning them up if it thinks there are too many, perhaps its "timer" gets reset when you interact with it, but go too long/too far away and it may be gone. Also ran into a bug, painted my ak74u black and the mag that was in it disappeared, so if your gonna paint a gun take everything off of it beforehand.  I also noticed that vs3's that are flipped/destroyed/out of gas get reset to full, useable condition in the exact same spot they were left on a restart

[Edit].....May have been a total server reset, a smoking Blackhawk heli crash site that had persisted in the same location for the few days my camp was up is now a soviet heli with no smoke cloud. If that is the case then it is still not safe to leave tents up for the normal Wednesday resets

There was an announced persistence rest on Thursday or Friday. After that we've been having varying degrees of success with tents on different servers.

This has made things a lot more interesting to say the least.  Been playing on private hives.  Survival takes some thought now, you cannot play the game the way you did before and expect to survive for long.  Loving the persistence, have had a few tent/camp wars already.  In order to survive you can't sprint everywhere, you will die.  Gotta be slow and thorough and not miss any looting opportunities. Overall I like the direction that the devs are taking it but it's not all roses.  

Anyone find it ironic that? (list)

- You can't cut seeds out of any veggies.

- You can't get fish fillets from fish (either caught by line or trap).

- Cooking pots/pans appear to be extremely rare?

- Garden plots are not persistent.

Yet even with all those survival mechanics bunked we are still able to survive off the minimal loot, some apples, and farmed veggies.  That's pretty decent I'd say.  I'd also say it's not just by chance all those mechanics are broken.  If it is just chance then it makes this all the funnier lol.

• Like 3

This has made things a lot more interesting to say the least.  Been playing on private hives.  Survival takes some thought now, you cannot play the game the way you did before and expect to survive for long.

lol u have my beans

im a firm believer in not having to think in a survival game... i miss 0.54

Lol , hate to end your venom trip there basher but tents have been persisting for 2 days now.... Lol we have 5 of them set up for tatankos get together, so ya go have fun and set up a tent and don't worry because you can now literally find them in every town !

Edit : reports seem to state that very few servers are still eating tents ... Make sure to find two before placing one down , as it very well could disappear still if you happen to be on one of these servers (seems to be barely any now, but just be careful , we have 5 tents set down and they are still here , maybe try and find another one and set yours down on a private hive ?)

If he joins a public hive he can't take the tent with him and he'll be a fresh spawn.

If he joins a public hive he can't take the tent with him and he'll be a fresh spawn.

My "main" is on public holding on to a tent waiting.

I spent today on a private where tents worked fine. Got one punched to death by a zed and was trying to make it back to camp as my second spawn of the day and got desynced and punched to death again.

Calling it a night.

definitely some servers are still eating tents.  lost 2 today.  should've tested with a backpack or something, but people kept saying it was fixed. :-/

• Like 1

I lost tent, truck, backpacks stashed with food and veg plot (which didn't work either glad to know its not just me)

• Like 1

They need to test the looting systems on a massive scale (exp players not enough) aka stable.

Something did go wrong of course and all the crybabies went straight to the forums to show off that they never read that box in the beginning of the game.

This is to be expected from an alpha honestly.

Stable is not good at the moment ,but why go apesh*t? They`re working on it. 

Is it my imagination or is Mosin ammo rarer than rocking horse shit?...Not seen any since patch release, every other ammo apart from that, probably just my bad luck!

Is it my imagination or is Mosin ammo rarer than rocking horse shit?...Not seen any since patch release, every other ammo apart from that, probably just my bad luck!

Yeah, it's all very hit or miss. I found a box of 20 yesterday but of course I have no Mosin. .380 is everywhere and now that RAK and mags are spawning in police stations, that's actually really useful.

Edited by Ebrim

I've loled alot the last few days reading these forums...

this patch is kinda bad, and has alot of bugs, but they will eventually get ironed out... have faith.

• Like 1

Strange thing happened concerning loot:

Spawned in Cherno, went through several towns into the north. Found some stuff, 3 cans of soda, 1 bacon, 3 backpacks, more wool coats than anyone can want, a few things to rip into rags, 1 hunter pants, magnum ammo and shotgun shells. Oh, a can opener :) ! I have practically used wells and apples to keep from dying mostly though. Then I logged out in one of the yellow houses with the big storage room with many shelves at one entrance, just west of Pustoshka, so it is not what I would call "away" from where ppl travel. Took maybe 20min break. Then I log back in ...

2 pairs of gloves, peaches, spaghetti, gardening hoe, some clothes, skater helmet ... all in the house that was totally empty before. Either a big coincident or something is not quite right. Well, it is speculation, maybe loot spawns in such waves with the current system, so it might be intended, sooo. Well, I'm off to the very north west, those towns most ppl only visited once, when they introduced them and never went back there, because they are too remote.

I can basically survive forever with apples and berries, heard some shots around vybor while I was picking apples, I am not alone :).

Oh, some loot is inaccessable. When I went around the rusty tank outside veresnik mil base, at the west hole in the wall, there were quite a few things there, I got a maybe 1 sec image of some 5.45 rounds. Problem is that happeneds while I was moving around the tanks doors, never managed to get it shown again to pick it up. I stumbled around there for maybe 2 minutes, no chance. Tried walking into the tank, standing still crawling, ... .

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 1