boneboys

Stable Branch - 0.55 Discussion

I can smell that public hive reset on 0.56.

dont jinx it.....

I find a lot of food and tents around parking lots and public garages now. Found 8 cans in more or less the same garage spot. Found a high capacity vest in the garage and two tents spawned around the cars. The UAZ wreck now spawns assault rifle ammo often - I used to skip that model for the most part in the prior releases, because it barely spawned anything good. Hilux wrecks gave me painkillers and fishing hooks. Found some seeds in the usual place, in toolsheds. 

My advice would be to first find a server you like and where persistance works 100%. I'm not sure about why it happens, but apparently some people still have problems with persistency. I absolutely need it to plan and build camps, so I make sure that works first (drop some loot and see if it will still be there after a restart). It's either that I found a good server or that people are not looking in the right places for loot, at the moment. I have no trouble staying alive and fed. You just have to stop running around in cities (you can run crouched), in order to avoid zombies swarming in on you. I negelected my own advice earlier in Cherno and had to shoot 5 or 6 zombies in a row. They are not a solo act anymore.

People who played the mod find themselves reminded of it now, because zombies were quite a plague in the beginning there, too. But unlike the SA the mods all allowed you to lose zombies by running through a building, which slowed them down. It was much easier escaping them in the mods and they were quite easily outrun. That's not the case now, and I for one appreciate it. I just wish there were better sounds and better feedback from hitting the zombies. It should be possible to still sidestep away from infected, but they seem to be hitting at quite a radius.

• Like 1

People still don't know what an Alpha is? Oh dear.

First I wrote this before I playes normal server with persistence. When I played it was completely different. Now if you want to survive you have to take all steps careful. Second Dayz is not so broken now my only bug that I'm noticing all over again that when I'm vaulting it forces me go crouch and slows me down very often.

I just did a test and went through Cherno on a pretty full server with no weapon wearing an orange raincoat. Made it from the spawn point near the construction area all the way across to the supermarket (saw 3 people and 2 in the distance and 1 tried to kill me with a pipe wrench). Not one zombie attacked me or even chased me. In the end I died, but it wasn't from the zombies. I got pinned down by the usual Cherno sniper douchebags... 1 on top of the firestation and the other on top of the Tall industrial towers. The first one broke my leg with his first shot. The second one took 7 or so shots to hit a guy crawling in the grass. But I survived and ate and drank for about half an hour or so... and had no problem with the zeds. Now, you'd say... well, you still got killed. Yes, but in regular gameplay, I'd never stick around Cherno like that. Dealing with the zeds requires stealth. But, it's not impossible, it's not even ridiculously hard. Come on.

http://www.twitch.tv/entspeak/b/644599120

http://www.twitch.tv/entspeak/b/644602848

There were some weird sound issues in there... don't know if it was the game or someone messing around. The reason the recording is split is because I alt-tabbed to see if it was the game or my computer.

that was me that broke your legs bro, iron site sks.... i wish i had a scope! we just logged in, and i saw you creeping around, sorry i needed food, the hunger struggle is REAL.... and yea my buddy missed alot of shots... i hit the first one

"deathbecomesYOU"

Edited by twr

to survive all day we have resorted to cannibalism.... thank god you can eat raw meat and not get sick... im currently logged out dying of starvation because i made a wrong move trying to go from cherno back to electro looking for fresh meat with no luck.... i have better luck running across players than i do wild life.

I'm kind of torn on how i think of this current patch... on one hand, it sucks, and its hard, but i kinda like it.... however, the persistence loot is still broken, so why force all servers to go with it? MAYBE persistence is not broken we just don't understand it? things are spawning in jacked up locations, and nothing near military bases... iv been in cherno/electro all day looking for geared players that want to lose their gear... I would prefer to stay up north, but noone/nothing is that way.

my only concern would be the frequency and time it takes to acquire a firearm after death... i know some of you don't play this game for pvp, but it really is a fun aspect of the game. I also enjoy chopper hunting, which is currently put on a hold considering nothing is spawning at the choppers at the moment.

if you thought kill on site was bad before this patch... welcome to .55...

the zombies are not a problem at all, sneak, shoot, or run away... those are your options... if you choose to engage in hand to hand combat with these suckers they will make you pay...

Edited by twr

I think that has been explained.

You start with 1000 energy (Hungry), 1800 Hydration (almost Thirsty) and 1000 Stomach volume. Given that maximum Energy is 20000 (let's assume it's the energy that you can store throughout your body, such as the ATP and glucose in your muscle, your subcutaneous and visceral adipose tissue, glucose in the blood, etc) and max Stomach volume is 4000, it's reasonable to assume that the starting stats (the way they are now) simulate having been malnourished for days, if not weeks, prior to spawning, and having only drank a couple bottles of water recently — again, prior to spawning. Yes, it's a tremendous disadvantage to start with, but it's the way it is now.

In essence, you don't 'starve in half an hour', you haven't seen any food for a long time before you even spawned.

An Apple gives you 69kcal Energy and 172ml Hydration, so eating 20 of them gives you 1380kcal Energy and 3.44L Hydration, which is enough to give you the Energized and Hydrated (Stuffed too, borderline vomiting) statuses and, given you don't sprint (or, when the new stamina system is in, move as little as possible), should last you quite a while.

Are you sure you weren't sprinting everywhere? Sounds to me like you were:

30 min * 60 sec * –1.6 Energy&Hydration/sec = –2880 Energy&Hydration, which will land you in the Starving zone (1000+1380–2880 = –500).

If you were only jogging or walking, it would have been 30 * 60 * –0.5 = –900 Energy&Hydration, which is, assuming those 20 apples are the only thing you consumed, a no-indicator Energized status (1000+1380–900 = 1480).

EDIT: Can't do math at night. Corrected and re-verified.

Oh I was going to do some experiments this about today. Well too bad if walking is still that punishing (same as jogging energy per second??)

Player count is dying rapidly on 1PP server...  :(

..//..

yo Odin I guess I noticed you yesterday on Musty

player count = 2

- better for looting, but not rich pickings !

All the four 3PP servers I played (all day) had between 5-12 players and really Almost-Zero loot.. the low player count always includes 3 or 4+ hoppers coming in, finding nothing, and going to the next server after 10 mins, replaced by more hoppers who don't stay, etc, etc

I survived the day by searching for rare cans of drink under tables.. (it didn't rain all the time I played, for once..) frequent server restarts [admins panicking?] mean planting crops are lost 2 times out of 3. Then the plants vanish when you collect them unless you do it really fast - pick up vegetable immediately, put it down again, then it will continue to exist for a short time, perhaps up to 20 mins (?) before its 'cleaned up'

- and there are no seeds ( bug 0023367 ).. so your farming is limited, very unlikely you will find a packet of seeds at pres... or find anything at all.. On these servers the loot is running at:

Total = 1 damaged shirt + 1 can of soda + 1 range finder (lol)

per village

this IS in the West and North-West, far from the spawn points. I don't know what its like around the beaches. Must be hell, I guess.

A number of servers restart often, I suppose the admins are frightened and want to force more loot or something (??) doesn't work. And I see that several Public servers have instant-kick up and just the admin and his mate on line trying to farm what they can find. .. heh (spit)

This being the case a 1PP server with very few hoppers and a player count of 2, is by far the best place to be

also it's easier to fight zombies in 1st person

And will maybe encourage 1st person play when everyone realizes you can stay alive on a low pop 1PP ?

Otherwise - just hang on a 3pp high-pop server and eat players as they spawn if you want to live. On my 3pp I found 2 hidden tents and a truck - the loot collected in the tents was so poverty stricken I felt bad for the dude, things like a damaged empty plastic bottle, a 66% packet of badly damaged rice, a damaged hoe.. I should have hidden out and eaten the player, but that's just too sad, so I left him to slowly starve and die of illness and zombie bites.

I sit up in a bush and wait for the rain

.. surviving is ... slow..

did a memorable and totally exciting run for fresh water, didn't think I'd make it

.. but now ..

maybe the dude with the truck will collect something useful .. I'll let him do the work..

I think this patch must be tough for new players

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

The new zombies are fantastic. They need to fix the fact that the animations don't seem to be closely linked with the "taking damage" screen, but still, welcome change.

Agree, they should be hard to kill. But current speed of their movement when close to you and speed of their atacks in unbeliveble. Slow that down and game will be awesome. Also, silencers need to work with zombies, its about time.

Is there any information why there is no official change log for stable 0.55?

What I have to say about this update: IT'S GOOD!

I know I am fairly critical and maybe don't have the full perspective on the development to make some statements. However, I always meant what I said. And I am really digging this update! Sure, there are flaws, there need to be tweaks in attack speed and infected behaviour. And the loottables probably need some refinement. I also find it a bit annoying that the trucks get damaged so easily, but on the other hand, they drive fine even without the front wheels ^^

Found 3 tents in 2 hours within a maybe 2 mile radius. Hottip: look at parking lots. Found 2 AK mags (on the porch of a military building), plenty of ammo, food, everything except sewing kits, really. Didn't see any weapons at all. That may become a problem, since there aren't guns for newspawns. However, if you play like me, first thing you do is build a base/tent for you and your friends. Even after I respawn, I'll just get geared up at the tent, instead of running around for hours again. Once you have a camp and a truck it is comparatively effortless to drive around and loot. Of course you run the risk of the camp getting raided, but that is better than starting with nothing and running out of the little energy and health you have. You just need to spend some time to build up the character now. It means to care a bit more about your stuff, without getting too attached. But most likely people will survive a lot longer, if they come prepared an don't go for PvP on every occasion. 

>>EDIT: I did notice though that the rowboats on the coast were completely empty. I've only been at one spawn for them, so I don't know if they all are empty now. It was always a good place to get raincoats and new shoes. With the trucks crashing/turning quite often, I find my shoes are getting ruined when I jump out. <<

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

I enjoy the patch, loot seems a bit sporadic but I'm sure they will sort that out.

And the zombies are fun but the ehonda 100 hand slaps need a bit tweaking, apart from that it's good.

I aways venture inland hate costal pvp and i always gaer up fast even with this patch (high pop private servers)

• Like 1

That feeling when you find two cans of food in one house

EcGffC6.gif

The day has finally come

• Like 3

Hey, I tested our server for persistency and it works! The only thing I noticed is that the chicken breast became invisible inside the tent, after server restart. The items are still there, but the thumbnails are not being loaded. I also made a few tests with dropping items and see what stayed after restart:

- quickloader + ammo = still there

- crafted vest = gone

- waterbottle=still there

- tents = still there

- perishables, i.e. food = gone

- stones = gone

Haven't yet tried with fireplaces, but I guess they stay too. I'm not so sure about the crafted vest. It might have been found, before I went back there to check. However, I do think clothing disappears. Have to confirm it after the next restart. 

• Like 1

Has anyone found a pot or pan yet? I used to find them let reliably by checking buildings with stoves but I've yet to even cone across one in even the random loot piles you find.

hfBHvxh.jpg

• Like 3

I like the direction they're taking it, the zombies are far better and now actually pose a threat. I understand what they trying to do with the food, but right now its just broken. I played 5 hours yesterday, looting villages up north. Didn't find one single food spawn, the cooking system is BROKEN so you cant cook any meat. The only way on getting food is picking apples and berries. If they decide to implement harder zombies and scarcer food spawns they need to make sure shit works. Meaning you should be able to cook meat at least. Even if Cooking would work you still need a pot and a tripod (which now is even harder to get), which in my opinion is really unrealistic as humans has been cooking meat over open fire for centuries.

The idea is in the right direction, but the way they've done it has broken the game and caused alot of people to stop playing. I am not complaining about the zombies because I think they are much better now ( Some tweaking should be done obviously)

Fixes for this is in my opinion:

- Increase food spawn ( So you can at least find SOMETHING )

- Tweak the loot system ( It's clearly pretty bugged out atm )

- Fix the cooking system. ( Really should not need a pot for simple cooking of meat)

First of all, loving the new patch! Just wondering when the infected will have footstep sounds, as I've used up all my pants when they ninja attack me as I am eating :) Keep up the good work!

Edited by SFKXY
  • Like 1

last night @ 11:30 AEDST

placed a tent on my main server... nothing there next morning..

placed 1 on a known 0.54 persistence server... was there... both exact same spots..

persistence is default *on* yea? cause testing last night just proved its not... also explains why my main server is full of loot as if persistence was never on.

will do the exact same test tonight...

Edited by Renigade
  • Like 1

While I agree on most parts with you, you forgot a few words there, I am sure you meant to say "What DayZ is NOT about" and "What DayZ is actually about" ... in your opinion

I agree, it´s my opinion. But from all I know, read, watched and heard from and about the project and its devs in the last 3 years (gosh, already that long?), I assume that DayZ is intended to be as I proposed. A hard survival sim with PVP and PVE elements and not a PVP deathmatch with some mild survival elements and puny infected, as in pre 0.55.

And all the problems and bugs with the update will be fixed sooner or later and I love the direction the standalone is taking now. Go devs, GO!

This is tricky! Have been alive for a good 3 or 4 hours on this life and have just managed to find the right ammo for the gun I have. Have had to avoid so many zombies by sneaking and locking them in buildings or just simply running from them. It makes for a much more interesting and slower paced game now.

Managed to get a truck but the front tyres disappeared and it wouldn't start again even though it was working fine before I turned it off. Even refueled it and still nothing. That was a shame but other than that, loving it still! I like the challenge. :)

Build notes coming soon... 968MB

Boneboys what happened to patch notes? Coming Soon™ ?

EDIT: wow, they posted it.

Edited by drouz

Patch notes would be really helpful right now. I'd like to see the changes as well.

My thoughts from 3-4 hours last night:

PRO:

• Zed's are great. Stealth is great. decreased loot spawn is great. 

CON:

• Temperature variables have been buffed. I went from just above orange cold to hot in 20 seconds at a campfire with 5 logs, and from wet to dry in almost exactly a minute. The flipside? Back to wet in 15 seconds of rain, and back to cold in about 3-4 minutes.

• Silencers absolutely need to be working. I popped a zombie at the edge of kozlovka (one to the head, two to the body) and quickly found 8 more on top of me; all but one from that town had aggro'ed.

• While decreased loot is great, your object dispersion ratios are not. I'm finding nothing in half of cities, and then mini-loot bombs in individual spawn points (3-5 items on top of each other). The coding here needs to be revamped to not allow for multiple items spawned in one location, and also only allow for a certain amount of items per n units of space (I.E. 350 spawnable items per 1000m2.  I understand the downside with this thought process, but if it was recoded from <20 minutes of respawn to something like an hour or two, you would still be able to keep loot farmers from being able to move gear / cycle while still repopulating barren areas with loot. You could also "zone" the map and require gear repopulation of a zone based on the decrease of objects in another zone - effectively making the whole map respawn based on activity in other areas. Just a few different ideas.

• In 3-4 hours of playing, I never stumbled upon an axe of any kind. The one I had went from damaged to ruined after 3-4 fires of wood, and now I'm orange freezing without heat. I'll try and survive the night with my knife / branches.

-C

Edit: reading about Central Economy as we speak. Looks like you are already on the right track, it just has a little ways to go. Nice work!

Edited by coltonmeng
  • Like 1