gibonez

Third person being worked on

BgkJaKm.jpg

Awesome looks like the devs are starting to take steps to fix the third person view camera and prevent it from wall peeking.

Look forward to testing this out and seeing it evolve to the point where you can't or almost can't wall peek.

• Like 10

Would be somewhat improved but most all of the problems would still be there. The only solution is not rendering objects your character can't see. 

I don't think anything will be changed though. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Like 3

I just see it as an initial look at means to hopefully end wall peeking and as a result improve gameplay.

The mere fact that they are looking at it means they acknowledged the fact that wall peeking is detrimental to gameplay.

So who knows maybe they do come up with an in engine solution to not rendering objects the player cannot see that works well with little to no performance loss.

If that happens I would hope those improvements are passed down to Arma 3 also as that is another game that suffers from wall peeking and its negatives to gameplay.

It seems that the idea is to reduce the peeking over and around walls advantage that 3rd pp gives over those that play in 1st pp only (me).

I believe it may solve some gameplay issues that some have.

I'll give it a  :thumbsup:

Me, I'll just stick to 1st pp servers.

• Like 6

I like that look more but still doesn't really solve anything.

• Like 1

It's impossible for us to judge from one static pic.

Maybe invest the time in figuring out why so many people, like me, who generally prefer fps games ended up playing hundreds of hours in third. The horse may have bolted on changing third person imo.

Edited by freethink

"It's nothing officially planned. Just idea to be discussed with you."

• Like 1

It's certainly interesting idea. Doesn't look like it would do much to prevent wall peeking but the other reasons given for a change of 3pp, seeing the world from the proper height and objects retaining the correct scale make it worthwhile considering. Having a high FOV in 3pp looks so ridiculously warped with the current 3rd person camera angle, this looks like it could make it much more immersive.

People will complain if 3rd person is changed, because 3rd person makes the game easier. Almost every update from here on out will make the game harder, there's going to be lots of complaining and there's no reason for 3rd person to be exempt from changes.  

Maybe zoomthe view bit closer?

But yeah hard to say anything without a video or more demo pics. At least down and closer should be bit better for immersion because people need to get surprised by zombies even in 3rd person.

At this point, 3pp is rather OP, but It is still a level playing field, since everybody can do it.
personally, I would like to play on 1pp servers, but as i play with other people, one of wich can't play in 1pp at all, 
(due to fps, and eye-problems, she is not very handy in a firefight, but either way, we enjoy the game)
so I'm always on 3pp-servers. and I've had to adapt my gameplay for the situation I'm in, you hide behind and peek over walls, because you know the other person can see you otherwise.

So I would like to see some changes in 3pp, just for the sake of gameplay, but at the same time, I'm just waiting for optimisation, and that won't be for a while,
But if we could get a couple of changes to 3pp, I'm sure it would be for the better.

I'd rather it was kept how it is, it's what I personally like and I imagine others do aswell, for the people who want it changed there is always FP. I'd rather they concentrated their efforts elsewhere.

As long as you can turn your head freely with the numpad or alt you will be able to look over walls, as long as the things behind are being rendered. And the possibility to turn your head is one of the key functions of arma / dayz...

It seems that the idea is to reduce the peeking over and around walls advantage that 3rd pp gives over those that play in 1st pp only (me).

I believe it may solve some gameplay issues that some have.

I'll give it a  :thumbsup:

1pp makes me feel sick

Id rather just like to be able to play as i want without restrictions because ppl cant seem to find comfort in playing on First person for there Dayz epeen needs.

1pp makes me feel sick

You are doing it wrong then.

Trun Motion Blur, headbob and all that other stuff off that doesn't serve a purpose anyway and there's literally no difference between 1st and 3rd otehr than the position of the camera.

• Like 4

there is still hope for this soul  ;)  :thumbsup:

and now the constructive part

the picture looks better than the 3rdp  we have now, but witrh this u can still peek around corners without exposin urself so its still unfair.

1rst p. view wouldnt be so hard if they would finally fix the bad souround sound.

Maybe invest the time in figuring out why so many people, like me, who generally prefer fps games ended up playing hundreds of hours in third.

Come to think of it, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I was always an FPS guy (mainly Battlefield games), but I've played the vast majority of my 900+ hours in third person. It has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage either, and I even shoot most of my screenshots in first person. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the specific perspective of the current third person view is enjoyable to me because it more easily allows me to take in the whole environment and not just what's right in front of me. That said, I still very much enjoy the game in first person and would never even consider abandoning the game were it to become the only mode. It's nice to see strides being made in "fixing" third person nonetheless.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 2

Trun Motion Blur, headbob and all that other stuff off that doesn't serve a purpose anyway and there's literally no difference between 1st and 3rd otehr than the position of the camera.

Not true at all, my friend who I play DayZ and DayZ Mod with only ever has issues in first person. He has everything that could potentially cause motion sickness switched off but there is something about the movement that causes him issues in this game. And its only DayZ that does it, he can play other FPS quite happily..

*And on topic, that looks way too close to a Resident Evil 4 style view point, the first game of the series that I truly hated and didn't finish, mainly because of the view point and the fact that the aiming always felt off to me when viewed from that angle. Probably just me, but would there not be a way to have the 3rd person view we have now that would draw in close and limit the movement when close to a wall or something like that? Eg, something akin to Metal Gear Solid when you take cover and the view closes in on your character.. If you are pressed up against the wall the camera snaps behind you lower down to limit what you can see? Plus wasn't there already a script on the mod that put you in FPS if you went prone to prevent this sort of thing? I am sure I played on a server like that? 

Edited by GaleKast

Come to think of it, I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I was always an FPS guy (mainly Battlefield games), but I've played the vast majority of my 900+ hours in third person. It has nothing to do with trying to gain an advantage either, and I even shoot most of my screenshots in first person. If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the specific perspective of the current third person view is enjoyable to me because it more easily allows me to take in the whole environment and not just what's right in front of me. That said, I still very much enjoy the game in first person and would never even consider abandoning the game were it to become the only mode. It's nice to see strides being made in "fixing" third person nonetheless.

Most of my time playing 3rd person shooters I'm "I wish they made this as a first person shooter instead." There's some huge games that I played for less than an hour then gave up just because I hated the camera. So it's odd that dayz was such a struggle to play in first. I'd never heard of motion sickness from games before dayz but I found that a narrow fov combined with low/jittering fps almost guaranteed it. Happily I've managed to overcome it through tweaking my settings and buying new equipment so since christmas I've almost exclusively played first person. Before that I had to avoid certain cities and buildings (the tower blocks/any multistory stairs.) I don't know about the overall stats of people preferring 1st v 3rd person games in general but I know I'm an fps player will always pick first over third when possible but didn't, for whatever reasons, pick first in dayz.

That's why I find it odd when I see all these threads about fixing 3rd. If you want people to play first don't just change third. Instead make first better.

• Like 2

I'll just never understand why 1PP players don't play their first person servers, it's been this way since the mod. Devs/modders made 1PP servers, 1PP don't have enough numbers or don't care enough to play them, so why do you want to change the entire game just to suit your needs? 

What about the players like me who like the TPP how it is and don't feel it needs to be changed for a small minority. I imagine most TPP players in Dayz would rather the game just stayed how it was.

Edited by Victus Mortuus
  • Like 1

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the specific perspective of the current third person view is enjoyable to me because it more easily allows me to take in the whole environment and not just what's right in front of me.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one.  To add to it in 1PP you don't have the spatial awareness that you would have in real life.  3PP makes up for that.  Meh, no matter what changes happen I'm going to be playing DayZ for a long time.

• Like 1

What's that saying "Don't blame the player, blame the..."?

Seriously, this thing where people think none of us sickly pussies would have a problem if we just turned off headbob is laughable. It's not headbob etc. It's a result of the engine and jittering/low frames. Combine a low fov and a low fps and you'll get players getting motion sickness regardless of headbob. The reason it's less of an issue in third is because the brain can anchor onto the visible character on screen.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 5

What's that saying "Don't blame the player, blame the..."?

Seriously, this thing where people think none of us sickly pussies would have a problem if we just turned off headbob is laughable. It's not headbob etc. It's a result of the engine and jittering/low frames. Combine a low fov and a low fps and you'll get players getting motion sickness regardless of headbob. The reason it's less of an issue in third is because the brain can anchor onto the visible character on screen.

I agree, why do we 'have' to play FP all of a sudden? If we don't want to we shouldn't have to and TPP provides that choice.