Deathlove

Excited for the Upcoming Disease & Cold System

Im excited to see ppl are going to have to tone there current pvp play style down and adapt differently now or prepare to die from some really stupid shit. I can already envision dead bodies littering the streets of high loot zones because ppl didn't take care to properly check the food they just ate or decided to not wear the appropriate clothing based on the weather conditions, etc.

What do you guys think after reading this? http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/222617-status-report-17-mar-15/

• Like 3

Every last bit of that sounds absolutely fantastic. I'm not a huge fan of snipers, but based on the picture and some other stuff I read, they are adding the UMP45 which is one of my favorite guns in video games. Based on what I see now, there isn't much of a reason to carry more than some bandages/rags, epinephrine if you are playing with others and maybe a morphine stick if you find one. It sounds like this new system will require players to carry more medical supplies in the event of an issue and not as much ammo, weapons, and combat related gear. I really think we are in for a treat...and I'm in for a lot of deaths spent learning how things have changed. :)

I'm also really excited at the prospect of crafting tables. That sounds like it could potentially add a ton to the long term playability of the game and perhaps make items that currently have no use, useful.

• Like 1

This will be great..Since people will carry less ammo people now are worried about wasting ammo on random people but save it when you really need it. I can see maybe max 2 full clips of 40 rnd if you have m4 and 2 clips of handgun for zombie killing (with supressor) rest, you will be carrying med kit, food, warm jacket since I am pretty sure rain jacket won't keep you warm 

I may say that this is exactly what I've been preparing for this whole time, 
It is borderline RP, but my standard kit is as follows.

Clothing:
A warm jacket
Cargopants
Durable shoes
A face mask.
and an extra raincoat.

Weapons:
A knife, for most things.
An axe, because it's multi-purpose, and Z are best taken care of in close combat.
A rifle, At the moment it is the AKM, but as standard i have the Blaze, or the CR, (if i can get a mag for it) no more than 2 mags (AK/CR) and a total of ~50 rounds.

Pack: 
Improvised backpack, because it looks baller extreme, and also keeps me from carrying too much stuff.
Medkit, bandages, epi-pen, morphine, vitamins, and antibiotics. (water purification tablets are to be added)
2 PET
a couple of cans of food.
matches & tinder.
Alcohol tincture.

And i think that is pretty much it.

But, enough with the Kiturbation, I feel like the changes are all for the better, and as soon as the players and Z slow down to less-than-bicycle pace, things are just going to get better, I personally want the added element of diseases leading to extra caution when meeting other players, having to boil water and keep healthy will do even more to slow down the pace of the game, while it adds another layer of stress to it, where you will need to keep moving around the map to aquire medical supplies, instead of just hopping in a truck and go scouting for crash-sites to get geared up for the PvP. 

I am sure that the upcoming changes will (after being tweaked, tested, taken out, re-written, put back in, tested and tweaked again -repeat x3) bring dayz to the level of anti-game that rocket and the team were originally aiming for. And make all of us curse and maybe even shed a tear of frustration when we for the one hundreth time die from some mundane reason.

TL:DR ... changes, love it.

• Like 1

Sounds good. It will take out a bit of the deathmatch component of DayZ. Just a bit, since I don't suppose long-term-hunters to stop looking actively for victims just because of the new side-management (coldness etc).

Hopefully some day less military equipment will have a greater value. Like baseballcaps and sunglasses reducing dazzling while looking into sun direction or when stepping out of a building into bright sunlight.

There are an amazing number of new developments/initiatives outlined in this Status Report. It was definitely worth the wait!

full randomization of weapon spawn

(weapon) chance to spawn with a magazine

advanced crafting tables

I can't see any reason why we should make infected as stationary as possible

it's meant to be hard and unforgiving

current character movement speed ... is planned to be lowered

a proper stamina system for characters ... will cut off the constant sprinting across the map

agile infected that are able to catch up with you

you will think twice about your approach and also the load you are carry

the infected have their own stamina and are slowing down during the chase

bringing to life the long awaited disease system

(disease) influence on character, which can vary from carrier to heavy impact,

Diseases can be transferred in both directions

disease determines how it can be treated or their effects eased by medicinal drugs and after the disease passed you are resistant to catch it again for some time.

I may say that this is exactly what I've been preparing for this whole time, 

It is borderline RP, but my standard kit is as follows.

Clothing:

A warm jacket

Cargopants

Durable shoes

A face mask.

and an extra raincoat.

Weapons:

A knife, for most things.

An axe, because it's multi-purpose, and Z are best taken care of in close combat.

A rifle, At the moment it is the AKM, but as standard i have the Blaze, or the CR, (if i can get a mag for it) no more than 2 mags (AK/CR) and a total of ~50 rounds.

Pack: 

Improvised backpack, because it looks baller extreme, and also keeps me from carrying too much stuff.

Medkit, bandages, epi-pen, morphine, vitamins, and antibiotics. (water purification tablets are to be added)

2 PET

a couple of cans of food.

matches & tinder.

Alcohol tincture.

And i think that is pretty much it.

But, enough with the Kiturbation, I feel like the changes are all for the better, and as soon as the players and Z slow down to less-than-bicycle pace, things are just going to get better, I personally want the added element of diseases leading to extra caution when meeting other players, having to boil water and keep healthy will do even more to slow down the pace of the game, while it adds another layer of stress to it, where you will need to keep moving around the map to aquire medical supplies, instead of just hopping in a truck and go scouting for crash-sites to get geared up for the PvP. 

I am sure that the upcoming changes will (after being tweaked, tested, taken out, re-written, put back in, tested and tweaked again -repeat x3) bring dayz to the level of anti-game that rocket and the team were originally aiming for. And make all of us curse and maybe even shed a tear of frustration when we for the one hundreth time die from some mundane reason.

TL:DR ... changes, love it.

Good idea!

I think I will add a couple sticks in there, for broken leg and use it to cook and warm us up

I want to be able to sneeze or vomit on someone and infect them. I mean, that's the ultimate banditry - cuff someone and infect them!

Since the zombies are "infected", I think it's going to be neat/important to also run the risk of players becoming infected and turning into zombies themselves. Imagine someone on your squad or in a group or something is acting fine at one point, then they're sick, then their screen goes black with "you are unconscious" and while that happens they've effectively turned into a zombie and start attacking the nearest player. That would be ... the best. I *have* to imagine that's also being planned? Anyone know?

• Like 2

I want to be able to sneeze or vomit on someone and infect them. I mean, that's the ultimate banditry - cuff someone and infect them!

Since the zombies are "infected", I think it's going to be neat/important to also run the risk of players becoming infected and turning into zombies themselves. Imagine someone on your squad or in a group or something is acting fine at one point, then they're sick, then their screen goes black with "you are unconscious" and while that happens they've effectively turned into a zombie and start attacking the nearest player. That would be ... the best. I *have* to imagine that's also being planned? Anyone know?

ya 28 days later! sweet

• Like 1

And make all of us curse and maybe even shed a tear of frustration when we for the one hundreth time die from some mundane reason.

Wtf is the point of that?  Video games are supposed to be fun.  There's no fun if you can't even play.  I'll save my next sentence for community rules purposes.

So sadistic. I love it though! The pandemonium that could be wrought on players! 

I'm not sure what the eventual goals are for this game, but, although I get that survivors would definitely do this, it strikes me as a little odd that top tier stuff is all about military looting. If you aren't into hitting airfields solo and dealing with people popping in from all angles constantly, then there doesn't seem to be much else to do. While not solving the issue that I perceive (which may not be a genuine issue depending on how the devs feel about it) the changes they are bringing seem to be aimed at diversifying the experience away from the strictly military gearing play that exists now. Maybe you'd be better off wearing this depending on how you play:

8VkcC38.png

Compared to how it is now:

0420-0905-2603-0613_soldiers_in_training]]

Basically, I'm excited at the vast potential of this game. It seems I bought into this at the right time!

Edited by ColdAtrophy

Our player characters are immune to the 'zombie' infection.

Wtf is the point of that? Video games are supposed to be fun. There's no fun if you can't even play. I'll save my next sentence for community rules purposes.

The game was always coined as an anti game, more of a simulation. Not the games fault if you feel entitled to 'fun '. Edited by surf_polar
  • Like 3

I don't see how catching the flu and getting cold is going to stop people from killing you to check for flu tabs and to steal your clothing off your back though...

I see it only really keeping people out of the rain, and making them srounge a bit harder for food or different clothing, but to use the anti-pvp crowd moniker: "tacticool" people are just as likely, and capable, of shooting you with a blue wool dress as they are with a full gorke E autumn camo kit.

My prediction is that it won't change at all in terms of changing behaviors, i think at best it's just going to slow people down from point a to point kill.

I still see reducing this 'rampant pvp' atmosphere, which i have no real problem with, as only being possible through introduction of gameplay mechanics with a greater or different depth than what we see now.  I'm not talking about sneezing and looking for warm woolies, i mean actual cooperative incentive, where downside for lack of participation (and engaging in pvp) is absence of positive, not a punishment for being pvp, and experiencing presence of negative.

• Like 1

Wtf is the point of that?  Video games are supposed to be fun.  There's no fun if you can't even play.  I'll save my next sentence for community rules purposes.

Ah, but that is the difference, for me, "fun" is defined by the lack of instant gratification, for me, there has been a good while since i enjoyed games that just let me play.

Specifically, 2010-03-25 + 2 weeks, wich is when i put down CoD MW2 for the last time.. 

In my olden years, I now enjoy games that are a complete D in the A to play, where you die for making stupid choices, and have to start all over from 0 again.

games where you sit for hours, and at the end... you lose..

your definition of "fun" may be worlds apart from mine, but i do understand the sentiment. If the game stops being entertaining for you to play, stop playing, and if enough people stop playing, the game dies, and myself and a few others can still be there kicking around the dirt. I do believe that all of these functions will be taken out by modders when they release it on steam-workshop, so worry not my friend. the game you want to play is still in there somewhere. It's just that what the devs are making is a different game right now.

• Like 2

Great now you will be able to die not only from ladders, zombies hitting you 15 meters away BEHIND the wall, accidentally running into a V3S(yes even a vehicle can kill you), desync, BUT also you will be able to catch flu, diarrhea and other stuff that devs will implement in a wrong way, creating a possibility of instant death.

AWESOME.

All those weird people who is "excited" to see such things look like devs writing here as a players.

WHYWHYWHY devs do not care about MAJOR ISSUES?

Great now you will be able to die not only from ladders, zombies hitting you 15 meters away BEHIND the wall, accidentally running into a V3S(yes even a vehicle can kill you), desync, BUT also you will be able to catch flu, diarrhea and other stuff that devs will implement in a wrong way, creating a possibility of instant death.

AWESOME.

All those weird people who is "excited" to see such things look like devs writing here as a players.

WHYWHYWHY devs do not care about MAJOR ISSUES?

Should not even bother, since all your posts are either troll posts, or rage towards the dev. but here goes. with an analogy.

because. it's like this, If you're painting your house, you've got some tape and paper, you put that down to start with, and then you've got two things, a roller, and a paintbrush. you start with the roller, and get all the walls painted with as much as you can, some spots are harder to reach, and you splash some paint even outside of the paper, you don't start painting behind the pipes and difficult spots with the brush while doing the grunt-work, unless you put some paint on that nice sofa you've got. then you wipe that down.(like the memory-leak hotfix, It's not perfect, but it's less visible)

once you have all the walls covered, you start with the difficult spots, (like optimising, wich is a difficult task)

after that you start looking for things you've missed and start painting those with the brush. (ie touchups to code and design)

and finally you remove the tape and paper, and clean up all the mess you've made.. (bug fixing)

because if you took the time to clean up every spill that isn't ruining your house, (aka game) it would take even longer to paint it.

And right now, as they are redesigning the engine, it's sort of like that they are refurbishing the bathroom at the same time, I'm not saying it's a good idea, you get dust and other things in the paint and have to re-paint areas that were already done. It is going to take a long time, and be ugly and smelly in the process..

The only thing happening now is that BI has invited a bunch of people over, while remodeling,

a couple of them thought it was going to be a party. So they're mad because the house smells, and the toilet isn't working.

other thought that BI would be finished by now, so they are walking around the place saying "you missed a spot"

and a few of them show up with clip-boards and hardhats and say "what can we do to help?"

I'm the guy sitting, beer in hand, on the plastic covered sofa, writing up places that need work, and leaving the notes on the fridge, like BI asked. while saying "this is going to be nice, I hope it turns out like BI intended"

• Like 8

@ SpoonsandForks

Don't bother, he's banned until the next time.

But here's to the hope that others will read the post, and go "aaaah, that makes a little sense"... not that it is bound to happen, but hope is the last thing that leaves us.

Should not even bother, since all your posts are either troll posts, or rage towards the dev. but here goes. with an analogy.

because. it's like this, If you're painting your house, you've got some tape and paper, you put that down to start with, and then you've got two things, a roller, and a paintbrush. you start with the roller, and get all the walls painted with as much as you can, some spots are harder to reach, and you splash some paint even outside of the paper, you don't start painting behind the pipes and difficult spots with the brush while doing the grunt-work, unless you put some paint on that nice sofa you've got. then you wipe that down.(like the memory-leak hotfix, It's not perfect, but it's less visible)

once you have all the walls covered, you start with the difficult spots, (like optimising, wich is a difficult task)

after that you start looking for things you've missed and start painting those with the brush. (ie touchups to code and design)

and finally you remove the tape and paper, and clean up all the mess you've made.. (bug fixing)

because if you took the time to clean up every spill that isn't ruining your house, (aka game) it would take even longer to paint it.

And right now, as they are redesigning the engine, it's sort of like that they are refurbishing the bathroom at the same time, I'm not saying it's a good idea, you get dust and other things in the paint and have to re-paint areas that were already done. It is going to take a long time, and be ugly and smelly in the process..

The only thing happening now is that BI has invited a bunch of people over, while remodeling,

a couple of them thought it was going to be a party. So they're mad because the house smells, and the toilet isn't working.

other thought that BI would be finished by now, so they are walking around the place saying "you missed a spot"

and a few of them show up with clip-boards and hardhats and say "what can we do to help?"

I'm the guy sitting, beer in hand, on the plastic covered sofa, writing up places that need work, and leaving the notes on the fridge, like BI asked. while saying "this is going to be nice, I hope it turns out like BI intended"

Well said!  I'd give you more beans if I could..

• Like 1

Agree with many of you. These are some the features needed to take Day Z from zombie shooter to zombie survival! I expect many peoples standard kits will change dramatically. I know mine will!

• Like 1

This should be put in when you load up the game on that bit where you click 'I understand' under the alpha testing agreement !!

Great reply :)

I'm exited for the new system, for sure.

It's not going to stop people from killing each other by any noticeable difference, however.  The PVE elements are only a distraction from the real danger: other people.  Especially during production, surviving PVE elements is going to be tuned down anyway, to test functionality.

I can see it now over skype.

"Hey bro, I got some orange disease bar"

"Oh. Drop your stuff and respawn" "I'll hang onto your stuff."

"Okay."

Problem Solved.

Edited by Parazight

We had extreme cold before and everyone cried about how hard it was to survive in this survival game.  I'm waiting for it to get back to actually being hard again so I look forward to anything that brings us back to that.

DayZ is not meant to be a fun filled romp through Deathmatch Elektro.

• Like 7

Our player characters are immune to the 'zombie' infection.

The game was always coined as an anti game, more of a simulation. Not the games fault if you feel entitled to 'fun '.

It is when it's a part of the entertainment industry.  Dying over and over and over, barely getting to play is not entertaining nor is it fun.