SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.54 Discussion

I also seem to have a much better overall experience on experimental servers, but the selection of servers under 100ms ping hasn't been very good for 0.54. At any given time I've had four servers available, but one, or two of those always seem to have crashed at any given time. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I tend to have more issues with rubberbanding, and unreliable/lost connections as the ping goes higher. So, even though I prefer 1st person, I find myself playing 1st person on 3rd person servers quite a bit.

Having said all that, all servers do not appear to be created equal. I don't know if some use different hardware, of if the performance just normally degrades over time, or what the issue is, but I can get 40FPS in some areas of the map, switch to a different server and only see half of that FPS on the same exact piece of the map. Also, I don't find that the number of people currently on the server to be a reliable indicator of what kind of an experience can be expected. It would be nice if there was some sort of a server load indicator on the server selection menu.

• Like 2

I also seem to have a much better overall experience on experimental servers, but the selection of servers under 100ms ping hasn't been very good for 0.54. At any given time I've had four servers available, but one, or two of those always seem to have crashed at any given time. Perhaps it's my imagination, but I tend to have more issues with rubberbanding, and unreliable/lost connections as the ping goes higher. So, even though I prefer 1st person, I find myself playing 1st person on 3rd person servers quite a bit.

Having said all that, all servers do not appear to be created equal. I don't know if some use different hardware, of if the performance just normally degrades over time, or what the issue is, but I can get 40FPS in some areas of the map, switch to a different server and only see half of that FPS on the same exact piece of the map. Also, I don't find that the number of people currently on the server to be a reliable indicator of what kind of an experience can be expected. It would be nice if there was some sort of a server load indicator on the server selection menu.

This might also have to do with what/how many objects are in the area.  I recall a dev talking about the new renderer and how the current one renders objects even when they aren't in view.  So even though you're on the same part of the map there could be a lot more objects that are in the area and being rendered on the lower FPS server.  (just a guess)

I have a question.  Anyone have any idea why my FPS and overall game performance is so much better on a high ping, low pop experimental server versus the crap FPS and downright slow motion performance I get on a low ping, low pop stable server?  It boggles the shit outta me, I tell you.  Frustrating too.

My FPS & performance is as expected - better on quieter servers with low ping.

So no, I have no idea why that happens to you!

Guys I have no idea whats going on. My pal and me cannot get on a game. Keeps minimising to desktop to update BE every time we try to join a server. 

Is this a known issue for everyone?

Guys I have no idea whats going on. My pal and me cannot get on a game. Keeps minimising to desktop to update BE every time we try to join a server. 

You have to wait a few minutes to let it update. If it goes into a loop then you should delete the BE folder and let it reinstall itself.

• Like 5

You have to wait a few minutes to let it update. If it goes into a loop then you should delete the BE folder and let it reinstall itself.

This. My game continuously tried to update each time I joined a server and the only thing that fixed it for me was deleting the BE folder in user/AppData/Local/DayZ. Next time you start the game BE will re-install itself and then update when you join a server.

Edit: Well fuck me, just joined a server and BE is trying to update again. Worked yesterday anyway, lol.

Double edit: Ok this is weird, BE tries to update every time I try to join Central 0-2 (1PP), but when I join Southcentral 0-2 (1PP) there's no update and I can play fine.

Edited by solodude23

Hi guys!

I was stranded in Texas due to the snow in New York and ended up staying a whole week in Austin.

While I was there I was looting, I mean visiting a friends house when I saw this in the gun cabinet in the hall.

kl7i385.jpg

I am SUPER excited to see new zombies in the game.

I'm tempted to not play again until they hit experimental....

Who am I kidding?

I'll probably log in tomorrow. :P

validate the game cache too.
  • Like 1

Hi guys!

I was stranded in Texas due to the snow in New York and ended up staying a whole week in Austin.

While I was there I was looting, I mean visiting a friends house when I saw this in the gun cabinet in the hall.

kl7i385.jpg

I am SUPER excited to see new zombies in the game.

I'm tempted to not play again until they hit experimental....

Who am I kidding?

I'll probably log in tomorrow. :P

Texicans know a thing, or two about how to handle zombies ... and a lot of other critters, too!

Texicans know a thing, or two about how to handle zombies ... and a lot of other critters, too!

Is the .22 pump in the pic a Trumpet?

I think that's what I was getting at as well with this....

If it wasn't for DayZ I would never have known a .22 pump existed at all.  :/

Soooo this happened tonight:

jKD4v7p.jpg

cgPd849.jpg

I'm in the white truck in those pictures. I headed down to Elektro to pick up a buddy and circled the area a few times to make sure the coast was clear. Just as I went to pick him up, two other trucks (the blue and orange ones above) came out of nowhere and began chasing me around. They chased me for probably 10 minutes, tried knocking me over a few times, got knocked over themselves a few times, etc. It was INTENSE! I loved it! The 2-on-1 truck aggression was some of the most fun I've had in DayZ in quite a while. I ended up dead by the end, but I didn't even care :P My buddy got better angles including both trucks together chasing me. I'll have to get those from him and post them later in the Gallery.

EDIT: Here's one of the pictures my friend took (if you can't tell by the quality):

jpWOCXW.jpg

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 4

Instead of going to bed like I should, I updated my experimental build.

Server was empty and towns mostly untouched.

I was able to get fully geared in Kamarovo in the first 10 minutes.

Ran north to a large town and finally found some zombies to shoot.

Killed 3 with a mosin and ran into a nearby house to hydrate, heal, and reload.

What felt like at least a couple of minutes went by and seemingly out of nowhere another 5 infected show up (closed doors keeping them at bay) which I then killed through a window with the mosin.

Almost as soon as I shot at the last zombie I lost connection with the server and decided to log out.

Hunger and thirst seem to have been tweaked again....

The temp was low on the server I was on and dressing warmly seemed to work as intended.

Edited by BioHaze
  • Like 1

Is the .22 pump in the pic a Trumpet?

I think that's what I was getting at as well with this....

If it wasn't for DayZ I would never have known a .22 pump existed at all.  :/

Actually, there are quite a few different pump action .22 rifles. If I had to guess, I'd say that your friend has a Winchester Model 62.

• Like 2

Actually, there are quite a few different pump action .22 rifles. If I had to guess, I'd say that your friend has a Winchester Model 62.

or a Remington Model 12

• Like 1

There's some activity on SteamDB this morning with a ~120 MB internal debug build. Hoping for a first build of 0.55 this week!

There's some activity on SteamDB this morning with a ~120 MB internal debug build. Hoping for a first build of 0.55 this week!

Good, I'm ready to move on!

I read that we can now report people for hacking in game in 0.55! I know there will be some cry babies reporting people

because they were killed by them but that shouldn't be too big of a problem though hopefully! Link for the info on twitter is below:

https://twitter.com/eugenharton/status/574527462278832129

Edited by LordBlackwolf

Projected experimental update updates can be seen on the Project Timeline. One is indeed scheduled for tomorrow.

• Like 1

Projected experimental update updates can be seen on the Project Timeline. One is indeed scheduled for tomorrow.

I would take that with a huge, huge grain of salt. Experimental updates in particular are sort of all over the place. What's marked on the calendar should be viewed as a goal, not a definitive plan. We may very well have gotten 0.55 last week had the team not been busy working on the (arguably more important) 0.54 hotfix.

Edited by Tatanko

I would take that with a huge, huge grain of salt. Experimental updates in particular are sort of all over the place. What's marked on the calendar should be viewed as a goal, not a definitive plan. We may very well have gotten 0.55 last week had the team not been busy working on the (arguably more important) 0.54 hotfix.

It seems to me they are only adding very short term dates for exp updates (as you can see, there are no dates for updates further ahead than 11th). So yeah, unforeseen stuff can happen, as it always can in development, but it doesn't seem to me to be a roadmap, it seems to me to be actual deadlines set for shortterm progress.

This. My game continuously tried to update each time I joined a server and the only thing that fixed it for me was deleting the BE folder in user/AppData/Local/DayZ. Next time you start the game BE will re-install itself and then update when you join a server.

Edit: Well fuck me, just joined a server and BE is trying to update again. Worked yesterday anyway, lol.

Double edit: Ok this is weird, BE tries to update every time I try to join Central 0-2 (1PP), but when I join Southcentral 0-2 (1PP) there's no update and I can play fine.

I've been dealing with the devs and Battleye for the last couple of days. As near as I can determine, the endless update loop is caused by specific servers. Unfortunately, the two servers that have the best pings for me, both cause this problem. I can confirm that US Central 0-2 is one of them.

I've been dealing with the devs and Battleye for the last couple of days. As near as I can determine, the endless update loop is caused by specific servers. Unfortunately, the two servers that have the best pings for me, both cause this problem. I can confirm that US Central 0-2 is one of them.

Yeah - so much for me thinking I had found a fix initially. Pretty odd, especially considering I often saw others playing on Central 0-2.

Yeah - so much for me thinking I had found a fix initially. Pretty odd, especially considering I often saw others playing on Central 0-2.

Yeah, I don't pretend to have all of the answers, all I can say is that some experimental servers consistantly cause this problem for me and other experimental servers consistantly do not.

Unfortunately, I don't have a warm and fuzzy that it will be sorted out any time soon, so I've switched over to stable, to get a better assortment of servers, at a low ping.

The devs are suitably concerned that I have a problem, but they insist that I deal directly with BE. That's fair enough. BE should get the information directly from the source. Unfortunately, I explained the problem to BE and they are in denial. They insist that it is impossible for me to swithch from experimental to stable and that if I would just stay on experimental, all of my problems will go away. I sent another e-mail to BE tonight. Hopefully they will read it with an open mind and roll their sleeves up and get to work.

Yet another death by misadventure.  This time I drove into some kind of hole with my truck.  It sank deep, so deep I could hear it getting further and further away.  Well, I was looking for a place to stash it for the upcoming rush to experimental while stable is down for maint, but that sure as heck was NOT what I had in mind.  It was right off the northern edge of the map, I came off a dirt road and was looking for clear spot to turn around.  Crazy.