xhiril

The "new" cheating.

Hello there

No, just no. BIS' coffers are fairly healthy and whilst cash is obviously an important factor there are so many more ways "we" could "exploit" the customerbase if it was all about the pennies.

Take off that tin foil hat. No Illuminati NWO conspiracy here.

Rgds

LoK

I don't think he was talking about BI as he was more about the companies that are renting out the servers.  Deep breath.

• Like 1

Sorry orlok but i was never thinking or talking about BIS...

Even more i am too old to believe in fairytales, tinfoils included.

I think you should read again what exactly i was saying...just when i was thinking you are the most moderate

moderator here. :)

Hello there

I re read your post,I feel Im missing something. Can you pretend i have the understanding capacity of a small tangerine and re explain?

Are you stating then that the Server hosters themselves are tolerating it? Again, if that were the case then surely BIS would threaten to remove their contract as it would be doing them a huge disservice.

I still find it hard to believe that money is the pure motivator.

As to being the most moderate, I *am* amazing, but nobody is perfect.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

All the more reason why the public player hive should be dumped in favor of making every server a private one.

Some people work 24/7 and should be able to pick a server pop of there choosing. Being locked to a server means you have to settle on what you get. Not all privates have decent pops.

Timezones kill activity on servers.

I do think however that pubs need to have a timer. Or x many pubs per day allowed.

Are you stating then that the Server hosters themselves are tolerating it?

LoK

Yes, they are tolerating it, and about BIS to terminate a contract with a hoster: it will take a bit more than 2-3 persons "claiming"

that the hosters do tolerate them. It is not easy to prove this, and if the hosters does not WILLINGLY tolerate the server owners abuse,

please, let me know how i am wrong about the money... then why they are doing it? Because it is so obvious that they do, if from 100 reports you

(the hoster) are closing down 3-5 servers and if the list of servers is full with "kick if you join" in their titles.. i rest my case, it was not even a case...

As for the rest i was not able to catch on my previous post: /offtopic

I am one of the biggest supporters of BIS. Although i have only 100 posts or so, i refrain myself from posting just to read my

own writing or to yell/spit everywhere "you haters! it's alpha, go home! come back after 1 year you CoD fanboy" etc etc etc..

It does not mean that i do not read, sometimes several times even... Given the fact that the only video games i EVER play are BIS

productions (and are both ALPHA), i feel entitled to claim that i am not shitting where i sleep. /rant off topic over.

Edited by mugur
  • Like 1

So what's the idea? Just host a public server (because it's cheaper) and kick everyone off so you can run around and loot everything? 

Yes, but I suspect it's done on an epic scale.  Example, rent out a public server, find some tents, park them in the highlest loot location possible (e.g. in the middle of the NWAF), kick anyone who tries to join your server, loot your location, restart the server (and thus spawn new loot), loot again and repeat over and over.  Also, this alows the offenders to server hop between the NWAF and not even have the hassle of having to carry loot to a remote and well hidden location - since on their server their tents don't need to be well hidden.  Example - a guy on these forums who found the hill overlooking the NWAF covered in military tents - on a public server which he had just joined and was then immediately kicked from.

I have reported, and had a great many servers dealt with, and plenty of reports ignored.. But I have never had a GSP request evidence from me.

Though there has been occasions when a representative from a GSP joined a server after the admins of the server had left and stopped kicking, so took no action. When i then provided them with video evidence of myself, and others, joining and being kicked, action was taken.

I would recommend everyone, where possible, record video footage of them joining and getting kicked, preferably showing the time (using a site like time.is in the steam browser) and the player list so they can see which admins are online at the time.

Yeah - it's not difficult.  Start a recording session, search for a public server with 1 or 2 players on it, maybe also including the words "join = kick" in the description (just lol at the brazeness of that!), join the server and press P.  If it's a dodgy one you'll be kicked within 30 seconds.  Stop recording and there's your cast iron bang to rights evidence.  Mail the server host and rely on justice to be done.

Also, just to provide some balance, privates can be abused too but I think it happens in a slightly more subtle way - I frequent a lot of private servers (generally a much better experience than publics IMO) and sometimes see that a server I want to join is suddenly now password protected with just 1 or 2 players on it - - when it is not usually password protected.  Now why would that be?  (Answer - because the server owners are looting high loot locations and don't want to risk running into another player!).  The password lock usually disappears within 30 minutes or less (i.e. when the server owners have safely looted and got out of the danger zone)

Reporting server abuse is the responsibility of all of us - if we make an effort to keep it under control we can, but if we cannot be bothered it will get out of control.  Personally, I plan to spend a half hour session every week server hoppping low pop servers with my recording software running and report any where I get kicked.  :thumbsup:

EDIT - @ Lok - would it be possible for a list to be published of servers that have been shut down due to abuse?  A named and shamed thread would give the community a bit of confidence that the problem is taken seriously and being dealt with (I am sure it is, but justice is best served when it is seen to be done), and also maybe give offenders something to think about?  Just a thought...

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 1

That's right so it isn't just because the publics are cheaper- it's so they can bounce anywhere they want while privates are individual characters. Excellent description! Beans. 

I'd also never thought of the private shard's similar problem- but yes, clearly it has been made that easy. Sounds like a difficult problem to manage and I'm sure glad I'm not the guy in the think tank. 

<snippitty>

EDIT - @ Lok - would it be possible for a list to be published of servers that have been shut down due to abuse?  A named and shamed thread would give the community a bit of confidence that the problem is taken seriously and being dealt with (I am sure it is, but justice is best served when it is seen to be done), and also maybe give offenders something to think about?  Just a thought...

Hello there

Hmm, yeah... possibly a good idea. Might need some tweaks though.

I'll see what can be done. Remember though, I am the lowest of the low and cant *make* things insta happen if indeed at all.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Some people work 24/7 and should be able to pick a server pop of there choosing. Being locked to a server means you have to settle on what you get. Not all privates have decent pops.

Timezones kill activity on servers.

I do think however that pubs need to have a timer. Or x many pubs per day allowed.

Then pick a private with a decent population then.

The private hive is a terrible idea that just opens the door for countless problems.

There's a reason why other games don't copy the system it's flawed.

Then pick a private with a decent population then.

The private hive is a terrible idea that just opens the door for countless problems.

There's a reason why other games don't copy the system it's flawed.

No private has decent pop 24/7 if that were the case id join it instantly. So with my fluctuating work times i have to switch servers in order to get my usual pop.

I thought i agreed that just privates are a bad idea. (Or did you mean publics ;))

All the more reason why the public player hive should be dumped in favor of making every server a private one.

we know..... ohh we know you dont like the public hive.....

do you have to go to every thread, remotely related to anything public hive, and spew your propaganda?

we know..... let it go, the public hive is here to stay..... dean with it...... or better yet, go play on your private server and stop complaining?

we know gibonez..... we know.....

@OP

Ive reported many servers aswell, sometimes nothing happens, sometimes the server is gone a week after.

Keep doing it, you are doing an awsome job, protecting the community from "badmins", props to you for activily doing something.

@everyone else complaining about the process.

This is, what it is, at this stage in development and in all honesty "badmins" are so far from the biggest issue BI has at the moment.

The game will survive a couple of months or even a year of abussive admins, while the game is being created. Then afterwards, BI can focus they're undivided attention to issues like this.

At least that my honest opinion about the subject.

Actively fight against "badmins", like anything else you dont like, with the tools we have at hand, and make the best of it, for the time being. It will improve at some piont, but using precious time and resources on this, at this moment, is pointless.

Finish the game and then focus on punishing "badmins".

Not being able to find loot, falling through floors, even being randomly reset are things that I can tolerate because I enjoy the game so much (for the most part). Spending 45 minutes to find a server that won't instakick me increasingly isn't.

And I'm afraid to say my experience has been the opposite of BadAsh's. The problem seems to have become a lot worse since the introduction of private hives.

Just out of curiosity, have any of the GSPs requested evidence from you guys when reporting servers?

None in my case.

If someone pays to rent a server they should be able to do what they want. Just go to a different server.

Ever heard of a thing called "term of service" ? You break it, you lose your server.

I really don't understand why people care so much about sad, lonely people paying money for a server where they run around by themselves, loot by themselves, and play by themselves simply so they can gear up uncontested. Who cares? Yeah yeah you'll all say "OMG but the terms and conditions and rules of servers and such!" but I don't really understand...let someone buy a server and do what they want with it. Don't like it? Don't play on their server. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I just don't personally have any care for people who do that. And the argument that "They take their loot and gear and go to other public hive servers so it's not fair!" makes no sense.

I could seriously go to a zero - low pop public hive, gear up uncontested, get to where I need to go, then re log into a full pop and be ready to fight.

I mean you can gear up and be ready to fight in less than 20 minutes anyway, let someone be stupid and spend a bunch of money on a server to do what they could do for free on a freshly restarted public hive.

So if you're gonna have beef, have beef with the public hive, not the selfish idiots.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 2

Because if it's happening on a significant proportion of servers (which in my part of the world it is), it seriously prevents you from being able to play the game. You get kicked by server, after server, after server.

Because if it's happening on a significant proportion of servers (which in my part of the world it is), it seriously prevents you from being able to play the game. You get kicked by server, after server, after server.

And where is this 'part of the world' you speak of ? What proportion are you speaking about ? 50% ? More ? 

If it's true that you are indeed subject to a true disadvantage because you cannot join - or remain on, as you say "server, after server, after server" then you have a point. But first you have to prove that what you say is actually taking place (in every case) and show evidence thereof. Or is it a little of an exaggeration ?

Battleye also boots players at startup, also random de sync issue boots you from the server. I have seen these messages before but never have I seen you have been booted by such and such a person.

I really don't understand why people care so much about sad, lonely people paying money for a server where they run around by themselves, loot by themselves, and play by themselves simply so they can gear up uncontested. Who cares? Yeah yeah you'll all say "OMG but the terms and conditions and rules of servers and such!" but I don't really understand...let someone buy a server and do what they want with it. Don't like it? Don't play on their server. I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I just don't personally have any care for people who do that. And the argument that "They take their loot and gear and go to other public hive servers so it's not fair!" makes no sense.

I could seriously go to a zero - low pop public hive, gear up uncontested, get to where I need to go, then re log into a full pop and be ready to fight.

I mean you can gear up and be ready to fight in less than 20 minutes anyway, let someone be stupid and spend a bunch of money on a server to do what they could do for free on a freshly restarted public hive.

So if you're gonna have beef, have beef with the public hive, not the selfish idiots.

Na, that thinking is all wrong.

Public servers are exactly that they have rules. Those that join are subjected to all the rules as well as the owner operator of that server. If the server owner wanted to lock the server then they need to pay up the same fees as us private hive owners. It costs double the price.

They should not be allowed to do the same rules as us private hive owners. This is a major issue, with protecting the players as much as the other server ops.

The rules are very clear when purchasing a public, and or master / slave hives. It does cost a huge difference each month. The rules are posted prior to you purchasing these servers. If a person paying for a public server does start booting players and not understanding the rules correctly, it does make it very unfair to the private hive owners, as well as the player base. (Just saying in sense of $$$, its still wrong to boot a player just for playing the game)

I, and other private hive, public server ops, do care.

Id rather just kill you on the battle field and feed you human meat LOL

Edit = long day, typos all over.

Edited by FIRMSneakydude

And one reason why public one shouldn't be run by ANYONE. They could go that they don't accept anymore public hives and only private hives can be rented and there would likely be enough servers still.

Battleye also boots players at startup, also random de sync issue boots you from the server. I have seen these messages before but never have I seen you have been booted by such and such a person.

Na, that thinking is all wrong.

Public servers are exactly that they have rules. Those that join are subjected to all the rules as well as the owner operator of that server. If the server owner wanted to lock the server then they need to pay up the same fees as us private hive owners. It costs double the price.

They should not be allowed to do the same rules as us private hive owners. This is a major issue, with protecting the players as much as the other server ops.

The rules are very clear when purchasing a public, and or master / slave hives. It does cost a huge difference each month. The rules are posted prior to you purchasing these servers. If a person paying for a public server does start booting players and not understanding the rules correctly, it does make it very unfair to the private hive owners, as well as the player base. (Just saying in sense of $$$, its still wrong to boot a player just for playing the game)

I, and other private hive, public server ops, do care.

Id rather just kill you on the battle field and feed you human meat LOL

Edit = long day, typos all over.

I am aware those rules exist, but what I'm saying is I think they're stupid.

If you buy a server, you should be able to do whatever the hell you want with it IMO. I know people will disagree out of server-envy, and server hosters have the right to enact restrictions and guidelines, but that doesn't mean I can't say their foolish.

Seriously. It's a game. If they're gonna buy a server just to kick people off of it, whatever. No skin off my back.

Yeah, or let someone at BI, who earned millions of dollars on this game, do this tiny job. Why should be players be bothered to even be responsible for this?! I really dont get it....

Also, just to provide some balance, privates can be abused too but I think it happens in a slightly more subtle way - I frequent a lot of private servers (generally a much better experience than publics IMO) and sometimes see that a server I want to join is suddenly now password protected with just 1 or 2 players on it - - when it is not usually password protected.  Now why would that be?  (Answer - because the server owners are looting high loot locations and don't want to risk running into another player!).  The password lock usually disappears within 30 minutes or less (i.e. when the server owners have safely looted and got out of the danger zone)

Reporting server abuse is the responsibility of all of us - if we make an effort to keep it under control we can, but if we cannot be bothered it will get out of control.  Personally, I plan to spend a half hour session every week server hoppping low pop servers with my recording software running and report any where I get kicked.  :thumbsup:

And where is this 'part of the world' you speak of ? What proportion are you speaking about ? 50% ? More ? 

If it's true that you are indeed subject to a true disadvantage because you cannot join - or remain on, as you say "server, after server, after server" then you have a point. But first you have to prove that what you say is actually taking place (in every case) and show evidence thereof. Or is it a little of an exaggeration ?

I live in the UK. At a rough guess I'd estimate that on around a third of the servers I try to play on I will be kicked off by admin. I'd say that was a significant proportion, and on occasions it really is server, after server, after server.To be clear - this is not on log in, but between 10 seconds and five minutes thereafter, with an obvious "you were kicked from the server".

Last night, to cite a different case, I was killed by a guy camping a heli crash site. I was then, rather pointlessly, immediately kicked from the server (presumably so I couldn't run back to my stuff or bring in support).

These are all low pop Euro clan servers of one kind or another, and many of them ironically have lots of little notes about how, and how not to behave, etc. It seems utterly transparent that the admins are using them to gear up and just kicking anyone who comes on. If you doubt that this is happening...well so be it.

I live in the UK. At a rough guess I'd estimate that on around a third of the servers I try to play on I will be kicked off by admin. I'd say that was a significant proportion, and on occasions it really is server, after server, after server.To be clear - this is not on log in, but between 10 seconds and five minutes thereafter, with an obvious "you were kicked from the server".

Last night, to cite a different case, I was killed by a guy camping a heli crash site. I was then, rather pointlessly, immediately kicked from the server (presumably so I couldn't run back to my stuff or bring in support).

These are all low pop Euro clan servers of one kind or another, and many of them ironically have lots of little notes about how, and how not to behave, etc. It seems utterly transparent that the admins are using them to gear up and just kicking anyone who comes on. If you doubt that this is happening...well so be it.

You must have really shitty luck. Never had that issue.

Or MAYBE it's because you're joining servers with 1 - 4 people on them...and those people are a close knit group or a single admin gearing on their own server.

Be a big boy, gear up on a mid - high pop and you won't have the issue of getting kicked off servers by admins lol

None in my case.

If any of you guys ever feel that your server reports go unanswered/unheard, just add in support@dayz.com on CC in your email when you contact the GSPs. I'd be interested in having a look at such cases and try to gauge the extent/severity of the problem.

• Like 3