SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.52 Discussion

And for the love of god, please somebody tell me how to use rabbit snares effectively. I've tried numerous locations on numerous servers both in 0.51 and 0.52 and still not a single bunny. Any help?

I've never managed to be successful at that either, but I haven't really tried because it's so frustrating :p To be honest, I'd rather hunt them with a .22, but that would prove even more difficult since coming across a rabbit in the wild seems like finding a unicorn anymore. Rabbits are the one animal in this game so far that I haven't managed to take down. I can even claim to have gotten myself a chicken... but no rabbit  :|

Back during stable patch .49, I made a comment about how hard it was to survive and how frustrated I was.  I'd like to go ahead and take that back.  I've come to realize, it really was my survival skills at the time and I took the advice of another member on here and now I have become a much better player then I was back then.  So I'm officially eating crows feet.  Happy hunting everyone.

Achieving a mastery of survival skills in this game is a fun journey. When I say mastery, I mean you've become good enough to adapt to the game as it changes during development to where it never goes beyond a challenge into the frustrating category. It's only becoming easier as they give us more to work with out in the wilderness, too. I mean, they added a stone knife to 0.52 for crying out loud! :)

• Like 1

Invisible hackers with axes seem rampant again.

I thought I got shot and did not hear that...I zigzagged away, did not loose any health, but my gorka jacket was badly damaged, formerly pristine...now I read this, .... the possibilities, the paranoia, the .... dayz ;).

My biggest problem is not being able to craft splints. I was able to do that on at least one server, think it was pretty empty, so that might factor in. But I was never able craft a splint for my private shard character, the server was always 20+ when I joined. With the weapon sway as I got it now, I will not play on that private server any more, I will try to get splints by server hopping on public, but I can't do that on the private ... somthing like that makes private shards with one server kind of unusable ... well, I guess I could hunt with a shotty in Berezino, but that's not my goal.

Edited by bautschi

A quick summary of my observations since the last patch:

-There is a problem with crafting splints - After the crafting animation is finished nothing happens. The player is left with an option to just move along or cancel the action, pretty much like the bug with trying to drink the whole canteen while crouched. Around 10% of my attempts to craft a splint ended successfully, so my only suggested solution is to repeat the crafting process and hope for the best until success.

-There is a problem with applying splints - Same as above, but much less frequent.

-Campfires work a bit slow - I get it, they are tweaking values to balance the best outcome. Nothing to complain about here.

-FPS drop - My opinion is the same as with the campfires. It will get better with one patch, then fall apart with another.

-Server optimization - I don't see any improvement here. Still desynch breaks legs, causes zombies/players to slide/teleport, etc. From a playability perspective, it is the same as before. Which is a kind of bummer, since this was suppose to be a server optimization patch.

And my biggest grief:

-Gunshots are not fixed at all! - I played with 4 friends yesterday at NWAF and we got engaged in a cross firefight between several hostile groups. One time only I heard a gunshot, another time only someone else from my team, one time just half of our group, etc. It seems completely random who will be able to hear a shot. Not to mention, sound sources are completely off, since they don't reorient when you move your head - if someone shoots on your right you can hear the shot in your right earpiece, but if you rotate your head while the sound is still played, it keeps playing in your right earpiece. This results in a complete loss of orientation and unless you have someone who just listens for sound sources and staying completely still, you have little chances of pinpointing the source.

Well I dare say I expected better from this update, especially since the first flag feature mentioned and advertised was the fix for the gunshot bug. Internal testing should have picked this up.

Edited by retro19

Yes you paid for access to the development version of what will became finished game in the future - you know such version is actively developed thus not finished.

For example loot (re)spawning is currently undergoing massive rewrite - and such thing cannot be done overnight so of course you can experience some problems with it but it's natural.

Anyways thanks for your advices I really appreciate it.

Be assured that while there will always be a vocal few, most of us understand and appreciate the process.

Additionally, you guys have made an enormous effort to push a polished 0.52 to us in time for the holidays, in spite of a massive DDoS attack, and we sincerely thank you. I can not begin to estimate all of the hours and hard work that must have required. Please extend the community's best holiday wishes to the rest of your team, as well as your families.

Thank you and I wish all of you all a safe and Merry Christmas! 

• Like 2

Why did nobody say that eating a 'Pile of Guts' gives you heavy food poisoning? I almost died there. :) First time I was sick in dayz, in fact.

I confirm there are servers with absolutely no loot, i.e. all buildings literally empty, but most servers I tried worked fine.

Plants now yield, apart from crops, something called 'plant material', which is said to be used as fertilizer. However, I couldn't use it in any way. Do we know if it's implemented or not?

And for the love of god, please somebody tell me how to use rabbit snares effectively. I've tried numerous locations on numerous servers both in 0.51 and 0.52 and still not a single bunny. Any help?

You've said it.

Thanks!

Has anybody found a sword yet? I helped a guy all weekend look for a sword at all the castles and he came up empty. Made it pretty easy to do with a truck to drive in :).  Sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't see any mention of it. 

Also has any server owner noticed their server freezing up when at 40 players? Unfortunately I found mine frozen a few times over the weekend at 40 players. In the server browser it appeared to be full and working, but when you tried to join #1 it didn't say it was full and #2 it just went to "waiting for host". While in game everything seems to be working, but other characters will start to run into walls, house etc and you can't pick up or do anything with your inventory. I hate having to restart the server manually but was forced to do so a few times.   

Sure wish my devtracker account worked :( not sure why its in the state it is......I'd be happy to report these issues on there if I could!!!  

Edited by The Riddler

Has anybody found a sword yet? I helped a guy all weekend look for a sword at all the castles and he came up empty. Made it pretty easy to do with a truck to drive in :).  Sorry if this has already been discussed but I didn't see any mention of it. 

I haven't seen one personally, but a buddy of mine is determined to get one and I was going to help him look tonight. I know they were spawning in 126005, but maybe there's an issue with them in 126010?

I was having trouble crafting a splint but it seemed when I split both the rags and sticks down to one unit each, I was able to craft it instantly.  Haven't been back on to verify completely since I did this last night.  

• Like 1

I was having trouble crafting a splint but it seemed when I split both the rags and sticks down to one unit each, I was able to craft it instantly.  Haven't been back on to verify completely since I did this last night.  

We have a few on our server who confirmed this. Seems to work every time.  

• Like 1

I also heard it seems to work more consistently if you put both items on the ground instead of doing it within your inventory, but that could just be hearsay.

*snip*

And my biggest grief:

-Gunshots are not fixed at all! - I played with 4 friends yesterday at NWAF and we got engaged in a cross firefight between several hostile groups. One time only I heard a gunshot, another time only someone else from my team, one time just half of our group, etc. It seems completely random who will be able to hear a shot. Not to mention, sound sources are completely off, since they don't reorient when you move your head - if someone shoots on your right you can hear the shot in your right earpiece, but if you rotate your head while the sound is still played, it keeps playing in your right earpiece. This results in a complete loss of orientation and unless you have someone who just listens for sound sources and staying completely still, you have little chances of pinpointing the source.

Well I dare say I expected better from this update, especially since the first flag feature mentioned and advertised was the fix for the gunshot bug. Internal testing should have picked this up.

I'm sorry to hear this and it's super shitty when it ruins your experience but internal testing cannot catch everything.

We are testing on servers under more strain for longer periods.

Bugs within bugs will flesh themselves out over time.

Remember thou art Alpha and DayZ is done when it's done.

Expect things to break and rebreak often for a long time over at least the next year.

I sometimes think of the numerous "game breaking" problems the SA has had and how people cried and cried and cried about them and when they get fixed the devs hardly get a written thank you except from a select few of us.

And once the bugs are gone, you all soon forget they were ever there until the next one makes people upset.

Something of a vicious cycle if you ask me.....

So anyone can answer my question yesterday and today i cant Find any loot anymore? no food drinks etc etc, on every server!

hows that possible

We have a few on our server who confirmed this. Seems to work every time.  

You got me to experiment around with stuff like that.

1. the server had just restarted, so that might play a role

2. I made 3 splints, tried it stacked and unstacked, only ever was successful with unstacked AND dragging the stick to the rag, not the rag to the stick.

Number 2 was strange and making three splints is not a whole lot in statistical terms, but when dragging single sticks to single rags I got a splint every two or three tries, that is all the difference between unplayable and totally "work aroundable" ;)

Thx!

Edited by bautschi
  • Like 2

So anyone can answer my question yesterday and today i cant Find any loot anymore? no food drinks etc etc, on every server!

hows that possible

I have no idea at all, I have to force myself not to use the puking exploit with all the food, I even stopped taking peaches because my damaged machete is to precious to open cans, after all there is sooooo much food lying around for me. Not just in bubbles I had to find, it's everywhere! Btw, talking about persistant servers here... .

You got me to experiment around with stuff like that.

1. the server had just restarted, so that might play a role

2. I made 3 splints, tried it stacked and unstacked, only ever was successful with unstacked AND dragging the stick to the rag, not the rag to the stick.

Number 2 was strange and making three splints is not a whole lot in statistical terms, but when dragging single sticks to single rags I got a splint every two or three tries, that is all the difference between unplayable and totally "work aroundable" ;)

Thx!

Glad it worked for you. From my personal experience just now I had to try a few times in row of adding the bandage to the stick. I had to cancel action and try again, but it worked. 

Had a few "debbie downers" on my TS this morning saying "nope, splints are totally broke, don't waste your time" ....to them saying "No way! How did you do that!!!"    :rolleyes: It just takes a little patience and testing and patience is all I told them.  :thumbsup:  :beans:

hows that possible

Go try my server today. It restarts every 4 hours with persistence off so new loot every single time. Never ever had trouble finding loot anywhere. The only reason you'll have trouble is b/c the city/town has already been looted. Move more inland if you join a high-pop server and are unaware of what time it restarted and if persistence is disabled. The likely hood of the towns/cities more inland being looted is far lower than coastal cities. I personally like to go inland when i'm playing by myself so I can explore more of the map, plus have less chance of running into players while I'm looking for loot. 

Torch crafting

Someone knows how that works? I've tried it today with woodsticks/firewood and rags/bandages/duct tape but nothing works...

The only thing which was new for me, you can craft a splint with duct tape and sticks.

I like this update. Really nice new stuff. The improvised knife is my favorit item!

Someone knows how that works? I've tried it today with woodsticks/firewood and rags/bandages/duct tape but nothing works...

The only thing which was new for me, you can craft a splint with duct tape and sticks.

I like this update. Really nice new stuff. The improvised knife is my favorit item!

I am probably wrong but maybe you need to add some sort of flammable liquid to the rags and then rags to the stick and then light it?

I am probably wrong but maybe you need to add some sort of flammable liquid to the rags and then rags to the stick and then light it?

Not sure you can actually craft one yet. At least, I haven't seen anyone post anything about it anyway. I feel like if it were possible someone would have shown us by now :P

The changelog is "wrong" all the time, so I wouldn't be surprised. They often include things on the list as many as several versions before they actually add it to the game, for whatever reason. They also add stuff to the game and don't put it on the changelog, so it works both ways.

Edited by Tatanko

Theriddler what time does your server restart? I'd like to jump on when it does to give me maximum time looking for helis without restarts :)