spuddy0108

Medic here. Everyone is starving to death

Stop playing on persistent servers and go to ones with it turned off.  Loot is fine on the non-persistent servers.  Of course you have no chance at all of finding a place that way overspawns guns and such.  Which is why i believe a lot of players play on the persistent ones in hopes of discovering these places.

Oh so that's what you get on persistent servers? We found one yesterday and were like, wtf! I've seen the pictures on the forums here but it was hilarious. There's 100 guns in these barracks but no ammo for any of them. Even though it was like finding a treasure chest, it kind of ruined the whole experience. However, I know persistent servers are an issue so I chose one that didn't have persistence in the title but I suppose it must have it on - is there anywhere else to check it?

I understand you, I've died several times of starvation and dehydration :( had to kill a friendly guy today to get his last 20% water from the canteen. I'm still alive though. Altough it is a very shameful life u.u

Did you know, 50m behind you there was a pond full of fresh water?

• Like 2

Did you know, 50m behind you there was a pond full of fresh water?

There was not

Are we talking about 0.51 here? If yes:

1. Get the fuck away from the coast (and Novo/Cernaya Polana).
  2. On your way keep picking berries and apples - should keep you alive.
  3. Look for a knife. You may also find a few food items in residential buildings.
  4. Look for a ranged weapon/farming equipment/fishing equipment.
  5. Go hunting/farming/fishing.

In 0.50 - get away from the coast (and Novo/Cernaya Polana). Loot the next village - done.

• Like 1

My wet noodle between my ears tells me lets throw out most of the canned food out of the house loot spawns and limit them to supermarkets and mil bases only.

Now you got some interesting hot spots on the map and houses should be source of tools not food IMO. Rarely should we find unspoiled food in the house due to time passing or being already ransacked.

The problem is that on exp, the items you need to support a "hermit" (non processed food) lifestyle are too hard to find, so once again we're left with great idea, but I CAN'T find the items to enjoy the idea.

I understand that things wouldn't be abundant IRL, but how many hours shall I play before I find a match? Where will that line be drawn?

I can't wait to see how this works when it works, because it does make for a much deeper game. (or later mod at least)

The problem is that on exp, the items you need to support a "hermit" (non processed food) lifestyle are too hard to find, so once again we're left with great idea, but I CAN'T find the items to enjoy the idea.

I understand that things wouldn't be abundant IRL, but how many hours shall I play before I find a match? Where will that line be drawn?

I can't wait to see how this works when it works, because it does make for a much deeper game. (or later mod at least)

I've always held the belief that there should be different methods of firestarting, other than matches. Matches could be the "top tier" (Lord, do I hate that line of thought, though!) firestarting equipment.

Fire Plow: stick and a piece of firewood. Takes longest.

Bow method: firewood, stick, string. Faster than fire plow

Battery and Steel Wool: works as fast as matches, drains battery very fast

Magnifying glass: requires sunlight, faster than bow method.

That way, people wouldn't be so dependent on the RLG (praise Tzeentch, the Master of Fortune and the Random Loot God!) for basic survival gear.

• Like 2

They STILL need to cut canned food back, IMHO, but wait until after better agriculture and foraging is implemented.

And eating half a cow keeps me full longer than an hour...

And eating half a cow keeps me full longer than an hour...

I don't know the exact values, but at least pre-0.50 I think you may confuse energy provided with stomach volume. It's true that steaks are XS size and you can actually eat a cow in one sitting. Once I ate ca 600% of meat at once and didn't even get 'stuffed'. However, they give a lot of calories and I was light-green 'energized' for many, many hours of running. I even decided to give it a test and not eat anything in the meantime to see how long I can go, but then I kinda forgot about it, it was that long. So have a good solid boar's worth of a meal and you can camp snipers' hills for days.

I haven't checked it for 0.50 though, I heard you burn calories much faster now. Still no problems with food here.

get off persistent servers and everything works fine. 

This is vary true in regards to .50.

.50 by default has allot of loot, its the persistant servers that at times have no loot what so ever, so check it. I have had no issues finding any loot, infact I think .49 was a much harder patch to survive in. The only part you have to watch and are worth noting is the .50 is boot ware, and over heating (which takes along time of sprinting at full spead to take effect.) Otherwise its much easier surviving .50, then the freesing ass cold of the .49 patch, were I at times had to lite a fire once an hour. LOL

Infact there is in some cases the loot glitch servers that spawn way to much loot. For example theres baracks that have probably over a 100 items laying around.

Edited by CJFlint

FOOD FOUND!

24nmpw1.jpg

Yep yep! I have seen that. Thats a none persist loot glitch.....like x-mas in dayz lol Man oh man.....I went to NWAF and saw that.....my god...LOL thats when a player realises there really only so much you can take with you. And players avatars are starving to death......

Edited by CJFlint

Loot spawning is currently broken.

Yes - this means that you might find 5 cans of Tactical Bacon in 1 village house (I just did).

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Yes - this means that you might find 5 cans of Tactical Bacon in 1 village house (I just did).

^

Man. with the way things are going lately, we might actually have to play this like a survival sim instead of a shoot 'em up. 

• Like 2

Of course. It tactical bacon. The stay together because that their best tactic to not be found.

• Like 1

FOOD FOUND!

24nmpw1.jpg

That's right, food found!  I'm seeing something like 8 Metal Wires there, that's an average of 32 rabbit legs assuming 4 attempts per wire, and 50% success rate.

Edited by _Mandrake_

I have yet to find a pond or stream north of Zaprudnoe, nor North and west of Tisy, as I am sure I have not poked my nose everywhere up north and west (in the woods) I mayhap be wrong =) That said though , please devs add some ponds north of the Novo Highway :D

Cheers

TuT

FOOD FOUND!

24nmpw1.jpg

That would be pretty cool to come across something like this. 90% of the stuff are damaged items almost useless. Don't get me mixed up, i dont want to see ammo/guns/food/water like this. Just things that dont really matter by them selves.

Edited by methr1k2dop3

I personally have had no issues with food lately.  I just logged off after eating an entire deer and two cans of peaches...

Just carry canned peaches.  They have the highest energy input of any canned food and also gives water.  Usually, a single can will save you from starving, and one to two more will get you energized.

While in 0.49 everyone was freezing their arse of, now everyone is starving to death. And there is not much we as medics can do about it because half of us are starving to death as well. I just played for 2 hours, i found 1 tomato. For christ sake devs fix those loot tables.

use the hunting...

I have so far no problem with starvation, but I tend to get hot very easily on stable. In Experimental it took me some tries to overcome starvation, but then I found more food than I could carry. Apple trees are very helpful. They can't fill your belly, but give you enough time to leave the coast. When the V3S comes with the next update, many people will automatically walk land inwards, because they only spawn there.

While I agree that starvation shouldn't be an issue for a moderately geared player, there's always the problem of almost naked newspawns and unlucky geared players too. I don't like the keyboard survivalist attitude of "dude hunt or fish and shut up, l3arn how to play!1!"...some items are actually quite difficult to find sometimes: matches, for example. Sometimes even bladed weapons: in a playing session I visited four inland towns before I was able to find some kind of implement to fillet game or gut fishes. Let's not start talking about lighting a fire: yes, you can search sticks and use books - so you don't need an hatchet or machete to start a cooking fire. But have you tried to cook a boar steak on a fire without wooden logs? I don't even think it's possible...and if it's possible it takes forever, endangering the survival of your character.

Just a reality check on all the things needed for hunting, for example:

* firearm OR stick and rope to build bow OR crossbow

* correct ammo for the firearm OR machete to sharpen a stick and chicken feather to build arrow OR crossbow bolt

* knife to gut/fillet preys

* paper OR rags OR bandages AND sticks to create fire OR gas canister AND gas stove

* matches

AND POSSIBLY

* hatchet OR fire axe

Obviously it's not impossible gathering all this things - but it's situational. If you're lucky you find all the right things and meanwhile you manage to find some decent clothes...if you're not, you have to struggle even to find a simple hoodie. All that, obviously, if you happen to trek away from the sea: if you stay on the coast and you think you can survive there your character deserve and embarassing death.

Edited by DocWolf
  • Like 2

There was not

OK I was being sarcastic but what I meant was that somewhere close by, there is a pond. They're all over the place. Killing someone for water is hilarious though given it's abundance.

Edited by Jexter

I have yet to find a pond or stream north of Zaprudnoe, nor North and west of Tisy, as I am sure I have not poked my nose everywhere up north and west (in the woods) I mayhap be wrong =) That said though , please devs add some ponds north of the Novo Highway :D

Cheers

TuT

I was saying exactly  this in January already http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/165753-no-water-in-nw-dry-lakes/#entry1678572

Those N and NW areas have whole dry lakes, and have watercourses and ponds already landscaped, still empty, from right back since the start of the SA. They are all dry.

I don't know why the devs don't want to put water in the places they have landscaped for water since 2013.

There was then some discussion on various forum threads.. I even drew a map somewhere in a forum showing the dry N-NW region....  10 months ago.

Either people said "you can reach water in 5 minutes from anywhere on the map" or they just said "crap". Few players were interested, they stay in towns I guess. Only one or two backwoods folk and explorers know where ground water is located, in fact, and have adapted their play style to deal with it.

Filling waterbottles from rain is the best solution.. because ATM it rains really a lot.

When I'm traveling (mainly all the time) I move from one waterhole to another, because I know where they are. When I go across that whole Northern dry area I check, to make sure it is still dry after each patch. It still is Dry.

For instance - the most obvious example - anyone know why those 2 big NW lakes are still DRY after more than a year on the map ?

xx

Edited by pilgrim

I shot a boar the other day then found some apples so we had apple sauce with our boar, potatoes and courgette (zucchini)  :)