Sign in to follow this  
astrochimp

Are weapon magazines too rare?

Are magazines too rare at the moment?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Are all variants of the AK magazines too rare?

• Yes, increase the amount of mags that spawn.
    • No, it is perfect as is.
    • No, lower the amount of mags that spawn.
  2. 2. Where should AK mags spawn?

3. 3. Are civilian weapon magazines too rare at the moment?

• Yes, they should spawn in a lot more residential buildings and more often.
    • No, all magazines should be very hard to find.

Poll Questions updated - Change vote if necessary.

[AK Mags]

Since .50 a lot of the AK magazine variants only spawn in the barracks. Finding any of the AK's at the moment is fairly easy, but trying to find a magazine for that weapon is very difficult. Since .50 I have not come across a barracks that has not been looted, so it could just be the case that server hoppers are taking all of these magazines.

I personally think the mags should be rare, but spawn at a lot more locations. I would like to see them added to Jails, hangars, tents, jeeps, police stations, the redbrick building (with an arch doorway) and possibly some other buildings. With mags spawning at more locations, everyone who isn't hopping servers at military bases has a better chance to find them.

[Civilian Mags / Clips]

It has always been hard finding civilian clips or magazines in residential buildings. They do spawn but at very low rates, where as the guns and ammo are everywhere. I have only come across a handful of CR527 mags, and mosin clips. Making the CR527 useless, as you can only chamber 1 bullet.

[sKS Ammo]

If you find an SKS, you will find it very hard to find 7.62x39 ammo in a non military location. Why does the SKS spawn in residential buildings but the ammo doesn't? It use to be the most common ammo at one point.

[Pistols and their Mags]

I personally think pistols and their magazines should spawn in a lot more residential locations. At the moment you can only find them at either a police station or the fire station. A lot of the pistols I haven't seen in months, with Makarovs spawning a lot more than any of the other pistols.

[Rarity of some guns]

I am also disappointed with the rarity of many of the weapons at the moment. The Mp5k and PM73 Rak are especially difficult to find at the moment. If you somehow get super lucky finding either weapon, you will spend a very long time looking for their mags. A lot of weapons that use to spawn, I have not seen in a very long time as they only spawn at heli crashes. I agree that some weapons should be hard to find and rare, but I have never come across a Rak. What is the point in adding weapons to the game that people can not find? Surely time could be better spent on weapons that players will be able to use.

[Forced to go West]

If you don't venture to the West, your only options are the Mosin or one of the shotguns, as these weapons don't require a magazine. I personally love the West but you shouldn't be forced to go to military locations and server hop to get a good gun. I understand the loot table is very much WIP and will evolve a lot during the alpha and beta, but I feel these changes would be positive ones. It has been confirmed that weapons will soon spawn with magazines inside them randomly, and I do think this will be a great change.

TLDR - AK mags should spawn in more locations, sks ammo should spawn in residential locations, civilians weapon clips / mags should spawn more regularly, pistols and their mags should spawn more in residential locations.

Edited by astrochimp
  • Like 4

I don't know what the local Russian Army did to load their rifles, but apparently they didn't use magazines. There are none to be found.

However, let's turn our focus to more pressing game play matters. That's just my outlook.

I do have five AKM magazines and six Makorov magazines tho. Swag.

• Like 4

IMHO, "military weapons" (AKA All assault rifles, submachine guns, etc) should spawn at military locations only.

"police weapons" (AKA semi-auto carbines, shotguns, automatic pistols, submachine guns) should spawn in police stations only. There is a police station in almost every town, so no issues with finding weapons or ammunition. 

All other weapons should spawn elsewhere.

Also, IMO, longarms should be much more prevalent than pistols. What is more useful: a rifle, or a pistol. A rifle has much more survival utility than a pistol. Think of the rifle/shotgun as the "spear" of the modern world; multi-purpose, easy to use, effective at multiple ranges, etc. A pistol is comparable to a "sword"; used mainly for CQC and as a sign of status and/or wealth.

Right now, I am running a repeater and a magnum. The repeater is for hunting and defense against zombies, while the revolver is solely for killing people. Both firearms take the same caliber, and don't require magazines. I don't have to worry about different calibers, magazines, etc.

• Like 1

IMHO, "military weapons" (AKA All assault rifles, submachine guns, etc) should spawn at military locations only.

"police weapons" (AKA semi-auto carbines, shotguns, automatic pistols, submachine guns) should spawn in police stations only. There is a police station in almost every town, so no issues with finding weapons or ammunition. 

All other weapons should spawn elsewhere.

Also, IMO, longarms should be much more prevalent than pistols. What is more useful: a rifle, or a pistol. A rifle has much more survival utility than a pistol. Think of the rifle/shotgun as the "spear" of the modern world; multi-purpose, easy to use, effective at multiple ranges, etc. A pistol is comparable to a "sword"; used mainly for CQC and as a sign of status and/or wealth.

Right now, I am running a repeater and a magnum. The repeater is for hunting and defense against zombies, while the revolver is solely for killing people. Both firearms take the same caliber, and don't require magazines. I don't have to worry about different calibers, magazines, etc.

The problem with this is unless they make the game extremely hard to survive, people will do what they do now.  Spawn in, run to military base, become Rambo then hop for more ammo.  Loot, especially high end loot, should be random and extremely rare.

• Like 4

Honestly I think the solution is to put the mags and guns on the military/police zombies. They should still be walking around with them. 

• Like 2

Why isnt there an option in the poll something like "let me choose which gun to spawn with and give 5 mags"

Why isnt there an option in the poll something like "let me choose which gun to spawn with and give 5 mags"

Because no.

• Like 3

You have more then just the Mosin and shotgun if you don't go west. There's still the SKS, blaze, and repeater along with the magnum as a sidearm. SKS ammo seems pretty scarce outside of military bases or perhaps I'm just getting unlucky. Usually find mosin, buckshot, and magnum ammo pretty often.

Some civ mags could spawn a bit more frequently perhaps.

Edited by solodude23

[Forced to go West]

If you don't venture to the West, your only options are the Mosin or one of the shotguns, as these weapons don't require a magazine. I personally love the West but you shouldn't be forced to go to military locations and server hop to get a good gun. I understand the loot table is very much WIP and will evolve a lot during the alpha and beta, but I feel these changes would be positive ones. It has been confirmed that weapons will soon spawn with magazines inside them randomly, and I do think this will be a great change.

I agree with a bunch of your ideas, except this. 

If you want a good gun/ammo magazines etc, you should be forced to go west, not just deathmatch in whatever major city. 

Edited by Capo

Honestly I think the solution is to put the mags and guns on the military/police zombies. They should still be walking around with them. 

Let's say that the zombie apocalypse has run its course over several months (judging by the decay of buildings, rusted metals, etc).  If you were to find a military zombie outside and kill it, it would be pretty likely that any magazine he's carrying would have rusted springs (or loosened springs if they're loaded too long) from rainfalls. I think loose piles of bullets on military zombies might be a little more feasible.

• Like 1

I'd be happy if I can find at least empty mags with guns.

Anyway, I managed once to get into Zeleno that wasn't looted. 2 AK mags in Barracks, one drum mag. Maybe they are not that rare, just the server hopping makes SA unplayable. 

• Like 4

IMO pistols and pistol mags should be more common. No one uses them because its easier to find Mosin and ammo for it. I allways carry pistol but its such a pain in ass to find more than two 1911 mags. Finding P1 mag is allmost imposible. CR75 and FNX should be military loot but all others should be civilian/police loot. Also, emty mags should spawn more comnon and with guns.

• Like 1

I totally forgot about the Blaze and the repeater. They both are decent choices.

I personally spend most of my time West, and I do agree you should have to travel West to go an automatic weapon.

• Like 1

I totally forgot about the Blaze and the repeater. They both are decent choices.

I personally spend most of my time West, and I do agree you should have to travel West to go an automatic weapon.

Weapons should be rarer, and magazines should be more common.

There should be at least 2-3mags/weapon imo.

• Like 1

Weapons that use magazines are useless in game. The developers have yet to make any choices to make them worthwhile despite the months and months this has been an issue. Hell, it has been an issue since we got more pistols.

Allow guns to spawn with empty magazines. Up spawn rates of empty magazines. Ammunition spawn rates? I don't care, lower those, just don't make magazines the most holy, rare item in the universe.

• Like 3

I've not found a single mosin round in the new build, but obvioulsy the loot tables are being tweaked all the time and work in progress. In the long run though I like the idea of ammo being pretty rare, so each round is precious. Do I need them more for hunting, to feed myself, than for hunting bandits? That kind of thing.

Along those lines, I wonder how extremely rare ammo will affect KOS? Probably only slightly.

Edited by bluesydave
  • Like 1

We have a bunch of weapons allready but most of them are kinda useless if you want to defend yourself against bandits. Basic sway is really bad, sway after running is just ridicculous. I had to use a mosin against a guy with an axe that started chasing me. That was painfull experience. I get it that after a long sprint my hands might be shaking but wtf is that? 

I think weapons in general should be uncommon, and magazines should be rare. Arming yourself is something I would like to see made difficult. Having a gun should be an earned privilege in my opinion.

• Like 2

"Rare" depends what you do to get it.. and where they should spawn is more like "how to cause a problem" than "how to find a solution"

So I cant comment on these questions except the last one:

All the standard ordinary ammo for non-automatic weapons (and for mil weapons too).. yes, you can find it if you want it... it's around..(not in barracks)

Say - how many shells do you need for a shotgun? .. for me 15 is enough. I can deal with anything that comes up if I have 4 or 5 reloads.. and if I use a couple of shells, sooner or later I'll find more - (and If 3 or 4 double loads wont deal with it, I'm in the wrong place and I'm already dead, both at once) so I don't ever carry a lot ;if I find one box of shotgun shells I pick it up, if I find a shotgun I pick it up. (one or the other shows up first...) also there are revolvers, and revolver shells (and speed loaders) around in all kinds of odd places... you only need 10 bullets max don't ya?.. you won't even use them, right? depends how many shots you expect to fire and how fast.. 5 rounds isn't enough ??

.. in fact pickaxes are rarer than any of these.. they are definitely rarer than ammo, and a good fire-axe is reasonably hard to find.. most of the time. If machete's were any good against zombies I'd be a happy man.. and the hoes are ok but you can't cut trees with them..

For any automatic weapon, you probably wont find one on your server very easily if you're an Honest Joe I Stay On My Server Guy ( but you might turn around and find a helicrash across the other side of the field)...

The reason - the ONLY reason for all the server hopping right now, that we hear honest-christian folk complain about - is that a huge percentage of players want military automatic weapons.and nothing else except plenty-mucho-ammo.; that's all.  Simple hu?

It's hardly worth planning all your hops to the minute and then spending your whole day on 5 minutes per server, just to find a bigger backpack or a waterproof jacket, now is it?

So we all know 100% what barrack/airfield hopping is for. And I like to sit behind a tree one one server (any server) and watch people pop in and out and in and out endlessly.. They don't have much sense of danger, they kill each other all the time, and mainly they don't even see me.

But if some dude comes around a corner anywhere on the map,  with his M4 and we both shoot at the same time - the shotgun will kill him, and I'll be bandaging. So what's all the fuss about?

OK a whole bunch of players hop-non-stop till they have their automatic weapon and a couple or 5 mags for it.. then they can BEGIN to play?... I guess this is the theory, right?

So - answer 3 -" civilian weapons are not too rare at the moment. You find them if you look."

-  answer one and two - "What do you want?"  (that's my best answer, truly)

There are plenty of games with more military weapons than DayZ, and easier to find, and sometimes you can spawn with them, and you can KoS till you drop, without ever having to use a spade to kill the sucker, without ever doing any of that "live off the land, survive, etc" crap..

All I need (me)  is a stone and some matches, something I can cut wood with, a couple of torn shirts for bandages.. and then I can wander around and find what else I need as it turns up.. and I find AKs and I find crash sites with m4s, no one has looted them because they are all down at the barracks.

Sometimes it  might take a couple of days to find a pickaxe and use it to dig up a stone, but I don't hear anyone complaining that stones are too rare ??

There was a forum argument a while ago that it would be more realistic to find a mag already plugged in to the gun, in most cases... that is not unreasonable at all - but ATM you're not ever going to find the guns or the mags.. because 50 people all turned up in the last 10 mins and beat you there and its all gone, dude.. (or the admin kicked them as fast as they arrived, and just kept the gear for himself and his mates)

I work strange hours, so I play DayZ at al kinds of times - the number of people who show up at 4 am looking for Automatic Weapons, and vanish again after five mins.. is really amazing.. Theres a whole bunch of players already working out not just the restart time to hop, but the best time of day (or night) to do it...

Wait in a good place , suss it out  - Point the shotgun at the first player who shows with any mil gear, even a shirt, pull both barrels (top of his chest) and - DONE - you've got an AK and 140 rounds, or an M4 with 4 double 30 mags.... how difficult can that be?  See? - those guns and those mags are THAT EASY to find if you want them. Take them.. However.. you don't need them.. an SKS is the best you need for anything at all and you find them in building sites and schools and .. just lying around.. plus the ammo too

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 2

"Rare" depends what you do to get it.. and where they should spawn is more like "how to cause a problem" than "how to find a solution"

So I cant comment on these questions except the last one:

All the standard ordinary ammo for non-automatic weapons (and for mil weapons too).. yes, you can find it if you want it... it's around..(not in barracks)

Say - how many shells do you need for a shotgun? .. for me 15 is enough. I can deal with anything that comes up if I have 4 or 5 reloads.. and if I use a couple of shells, sooner or later I'll find more - (and If 3 or 4 double loads wont deal with it, I'm in the wrong place and I'm already dead, both at once) so I don't ever carry a lot ;if I find one box of shotgun shells I pick it up, if I find a shotgun I pick it up. (one or the other shows up first...) also there are revolvers, and revolver shells (and speed loaders) around in all kinds of odd places... you only need 10 bullets max don't ya?.. you won't even use them, right? depends how many shots you expect to fire and how fast.. 5 rounds isn't enough ??

.. in fact pickaxes are rarer than any of these.. they are definitely rarer than ammo, and a good fire-axe is reasonably hard to find.. most of the time. If machete's were any good against zombies I'd be a happy man.. and the hoes are ok but you can't cut trees with them..

For any automatic weapon, you probably wont find one on your server very easily if you're an Honest Joe I Stay On My Server Guy ( but you might turn around and find a helicrash across the other side of the field)...

The reason - the ONLY reason for all the server hopping right now, that we hear honest christian folk complain about - is that a huge percentage of players want military automatic weapons.and nothing else except plenty-mucho-ammo.; that's all.  Simple hu?

It's hardly worth planning all your hops to the minuteand then spending your whole day on 5 minutes per server, just to find a bigger backpack or a waterproof jacket, now is it?

So we all know 100% what barrack/airfield hopping is for. And I like to sit behind a tree one one server (any server) and watch people pop in and out and in and out endlessly.. They don't have much sense of danger, they kill each other all the time, and mainly they don't even see me.

But if some dude comes around a corner anywhere on the map,  with his M4 and we both shoot at the same time - the shotgun will kill him, and I'll be bandaging. So what's all the fuss about?

OK a whole bunch of players hop-non-stop till they have their automatic weapon and a couple or 5 mags for it.. then they can BEGIN to play?... I guess this is the theory, right?

So - answer 3 -" civilian weapons are not too rare at the moment. You find them if you look."

-  answer one and two - "What do you want?"  (that's my best answer, truly)

There are plenty of games with more military weapons than DayZ, and easier to find, and sometimes you can spawn with them, and you can KoS till you drop, without ever having to use a spade to kill the sucker, without ever doing any of that "live off the land, survive, etc" crap..

All I need (me)  is a stone and some matches, something I can cut wood with, a couple of torn shirts for bandages.. and then I can wander around and find what else I need as it turns up.. and I find AKs and I find crash sites with m4s, no one has looted them because they are all down at the barracks.

Sometimes it  might take a couple of days to find a pickaxe and use it to dig up a stone, but I don't hear anyone complaining that stones are too rare ??

There was a forum argument a while ago that it would be more realistic to find a mag already plugged in to the gun, in most cases... that is not unreasonable at all - but ATM you're not ever going to find the guns or the mags.. because 50 people all turned up in the last 10 mins and bet you there and its all gone, dude.. (or the admin kicked them as fast as they arrived, and just kept the gear for himself and his mates)

I work strange hours, so I play DayZ at al kinds of times - the number of people who show up at 4 am looking for Automatic Weapons, and vanish again after five mins.. is really amazing.. Theres a whole bunch of players already working out not just the restart time to hop, but the best time of day (or night) to do it...

Wait in a good place , suss it out  - Point the shotgun at the first player who shows with any mil gear, even a shirt, pull both barrels (top of his chest) and - DONE - you've got an AK and 140 rounds, or an M4 with 4 double 30 mags.... how difficult can that be?  See? - those guns and those mags are THAT EASY to find if you want them. Take them.. However.. you don't need them.. an SKS is the best you need for anything at all and you find them in building sites and schools and .. just lying around.. plus the ammo too

Pretty much. People aren't server-hopping for Blaze's and shotguns. You can find literally anything you want outside of military bases, if you look hard enough. That includes "effective" weapons, capable of killing someone with a M4 and 60-stacks pretty easily.

I've killed more people with the Blaze and the SKS than I have with any other firearm. I really don't understand the obsession with assault rifles and milspec gear. "Civilian" gear is as good, or even better if you include the fact that you won't have to travel to a military base and fight server hoppers for it.

• Like 2

Magazines are easy to find. Many people have them. Take them.

From having a look at the results so far, it is quite close between people wanting AK mags to spawn in more places or not. Possibly re-add them to tents and jeeps and this could keep everyone happy. Jeeps were my favourite place to find mags before they removed the the spawn, and it makes sense you would find mags inside an abandoned jeep.

It is safe to say that most people would like more civilian pistol and rifle mags to spawn in residential areas.

I agree this should not be a priority at the moment, but in the future I would like to see these tweaks applied.

• Like 2

Because that would ruin the game thank you very much, this game is about realism and role play, its not call of duty.