SmashT

Stable Branch - 0.50 Discussion

Heyo! Well this is a feedback forum so here you go. Thanks for the hard work love the update.

I'm at 147 hours of gameplay now. Played .5 experimental and the new .5 stable patch.

Bug reporting:
- We used to all freeze in .49 all the time. Now we all overheat all the time. It's one extreme to another. Used to get rain all the time in .49 too much. Now we get too much lightning in .50. Cool features but balance would be nice.
- Dehydration. Used to go ages without drinking. Now we drink all the time it's out of control.
- Can't use wells now.
- Some items cant be picked up
- Cooking is still broken both fireplace / gas burner. Takes ages to cook and than instantly goes from raw-burned.
- Leg breaking bug is still there... stairs/ladders are scary. Not zombies or players.
- Military loot spawns seems totally screwed up. Checked all military spawn locations from the bottom to top of the map on several servers without so much as a kiwi remaining
- Helicopters? Have checked all over reported spawn locations, fields etc making full runs of the map on servers and have never seen one.
- Weapons still disappear randomly. Especially what ever weapon is in your hand. No I checked the floor it literally poofs out of existence. 
- I have never seen a bandana for the face slot ever.
- I have never seen an ASP or a mag for it
- Binoculars will cause your character to spazz out and uncontrollably raise and lower the binoculars. Not lag, it's just one click and spam time for 15 seconds.
- Items still spawn below the floor it seems in the green barracks
- Zombie detection is still pretty crazy. 
- Zombies still go through walls
- Everything is pristine (cool bug!)
- The double barrel shotgun seems to have performance lowered?
- Never seen a SMEARSH vest. The SMEARSH backpack is common
- Have not seen one high capacity vest since .5
- Performance went down especially in towns. 
- Have never seen a tent ingame ever
- Character wipe still possible

Anyway just some commentary on what I have experienced.

Positives:
- New content woohoo!
- Way less crashes now

Overall an awesome update! I know what I have mentioned are likely well known and long standing bugs. It would be awesome to have more attention paid to preventing the random deaths due to bugs as a top priority over making pink derringers and welding helmets though. 

Features that would be awesome:
- Multi tool (knife, saw, can opener, pliars)
- E-tool, compact shovel/pick
- Putting a headlamp on a helmet/hat 
- Leg/belt holster
- Ability to craft a tent/sleeping bag. Use sleeping bag as a spawn point tent as storage.
- Singleplayer mode
- Vehicles, civilian, military truck, jeep, humvee, helicopter, motorcycle, bicycle, boat
- Muzzle device for AK pattern rifles (they have threaded barrels too!)
- Rope to be used on players (Ex: Handcuff player, use rope to drag them behind you on autopilot) 
- ghillie suit would be cool
- New loot system. Current is clunky...
- A sort of player trap could be cool. Wire in doorway with grenade
- craftable molotov

Anyway keep up the good work. Would be awesome to focus on the major issues that have been around a long time over new content though. I mean I have died twice to players a few times during my first time playing to zombies. But otherwise have just been dieing now to stairs and character wipes.
  • Like 2

Heyo! Well this is a feedback forum so here you go. Thanks for the hard work love the update.

I'm at 147 hours of gameplay now. Played .5 experimental and the new .5 stable patch.

Bug reporting:
- We used to all freeze in .49 all the time. Now we all overheat all the time. It's one extreme to another. Used to get rain all the time in .49 too much. Now we get too much lightning in .50. Cool features but balance would be nice.
- Dehydration. Used to go ages without drinking. Now we drink all the time it's out of control.
- Can't use wells now.
- Cooking is still broken both fireplace / gas burner. Takes ages to cook and than instantly goes from raw-burned.
- Leg breaking bug is still there... stairs/ladders are scary. Not zombies or players.
- Military loot spawns seems totally screwed up. Checked all military spawn locations from the bottom to top of the map on several servers without so much as a kiwi remaining
- Helicopters? Have checked all over reported spawn locations, fields etc making full runs of the map on servers and have never seen one.
- Weapons still disappear randomly. Especially what ever weapon is in your hand. No I checked the floor it literally poofs out of existence. 
- Binoculars will cause your character to spazz out and uncontrollably raise and lower the binoculars. Not lag, it's just one click and spam time for 15 seconds.

Positives:
- New content woohoo!
- Way less crashes now

Overall an awesome update! I know what I have mentioned are likely well known and long standing bugs. It would be awesome to have more attention paid to preventing the random deaths due to bugs as a top priority over making pink derringers and welding helmets though. 

- Leg/belt holster
- Ability to craft a tent/sleeping bag. Use sleeping bag as a spawn point tent as storage.
- Singleplayer mode
- Vehicles, civilian, military truck, jeep, humvee, helicopter, motorcycle, bicycle, boat
- Rope to be used on players (Ex: Handcuff player, use rope to drag them behind you on autopilot) 
- craftable molotov

Anyway keep up the good work. Would be awesome to focus on the major issues that have been around a long time over new content though. I mean I have died twice to players a few times during my first time playing to zombies. But otherwise have just been dieing now to stairs and character wipes.

Wow, I salute you.

Also, is it just me or is everything pristine now?

Yes, everything is now pristine because of that new loot spawn system, which kinda sucks though. You either find nothing or there is so much loot you cant see the ground. Most of the time you find nothing though or useless stuff.

bug i've noticed:

chemlight in hands

break chemlight (emits light)

use any consumable out of inventory (apple, soda, rags..)

after using the consumable: chemlight again in hands -> suddenly pristine/unused without emitting light

also obvious suggestion:

firewood (branch) + rags + alcohol tincture + matches = burning torch

Edited by joe_mcentire

bug i've noticed:

chemlight in hands

break chemlight (emights light)

use any consumable out of inventory (apple, soda, rags..)

after using the consumable: chemlight again in hands -> suddenly pristine/unused without emitting light

Already reported by me in bug tracker. 

• Like 1

Is it me or is growing tomatos a bit OP right now? Found a seed pack so I decided to give farming ago, long story short, I spent 8 of my 35 tomato seeds, and now have 104 tomatos lying in a greenhouse.

Well they are like the most useless food you could probably eat all of those and not be energized :P

I'm guessing that's why they used tomatos first just to get the system running otherwise it'd be 104 of the infinitely more useful zucchini's or potatoes.

I do wonder what they'd do with that though...how fast is stuff going to go? Realistically it'd take months but that would be bullshit. Days? Days for like 8 tomatoes or whatever, similarly bullshit as they wouldn't last you very long.

I guess maybe like an in game day or two depending on how long they make them if it's say 5 hours that should be alright, I guess.

Still a lot of time to sit around.

My suggestion would be to have most crops grow within 1.5-5 hours (we'll need some trial and error of course) .. Also I think they should eventually incorporate corn into the gardening system and that could take the longest (5 hours) but be very good for thirst/hunger. ThanksgivingZ ?

Bug reporting:
- Can't use wells now.

Positives:
- New content woohoo!
- Way less crashes now

- Leg/belt holster
- Singleplayer mode
- craftable molotov

Somethings are just your experience and will require you to adapt.  I'm not overheating at all. Of course, I've got an Ushanka hat, a biker jacket (or a raincoat when it rains), a wetbag, cargo pants, gloves and hiking boots. I've not overheated yet in .50. Sounds more like you should adjust your movement and your clothing.

I've only come across one Longhorn since they were put into the game... doesn't mean they aren't around, just means I didn't come across them. Also found and discarded a bandana that I could put on my face just a day ago - had to select to change the head one into a face one first. I haven't come across a tent in a while, but they may just be rare - and that's a good thing. If they weren't rare, we'd have stockpiles of weapons in the hills. I've also not had a problem with dehydration... you're probably having it because you're overheating. You can no longer sprint around in heavy gear without consequence... that's a good thing.

Yeah, zombies are still not ideal (see my post above), but... there aren't that many of  them. Yeah, they need to be fixed - just be thankful you don't have tons of them bearing down on you.

Some of your experiences are likely legitimate bugs. Others are a part of an evolution of the game. Players will have to adapt to those.

Edited by entspeak

It was a little laggy with all of the loot spawning in the miltary buildings today.

camo01.jpg

camo02.jpg

camo03.jpg

barracks01.jpg

barracks02.jpg

Is anyone else having issues trying to get around dead bodies in buildings? Pretty much got blocked out of a room by some dead zombies today.

Is anyone else having issues trying to get around dead bodies in buildings? Pretty much got blocked out of a room by some dead zombies today.

Always the case

Someone explain to me what the point of adding in tons of loot items is when the frame rate tanks any time you turn to look at a lootable area and the game is a buggier mess than the mod...?

On a i5 2500K and a GTX 760 the fps goes from 150 to as low as 15 from just turning around to look at an area with buildings off in the distance.

After one year, the game is still fundamentally broken at it's core, even on the most basic levels. These are the things from the mod that the players of the mod wanted fixed, yet they haven't been.

All we wanted was the mod, with the main glaring, game breaking bugs fixed, with a bit more content/polish. Surely 2 years is ample time to do that?

Encountered 3 infected in 2 hours, the animations combined with the hit detection, along with the horrible frame rate made these encounters as painful as they were laughably bad.

The mod had better optimization (and it's optimization was shit), the infected and the way that they spawned was much better than it currently is, melee was workable and hit detection seemed a hell of a lot better too.

Address the core issues and stop adding continual fluff to a turd to try and pretty it up. A pretty turd still stinks just as much as a regular one.

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 1

Someone explain to me what the point of adding in tons of loot items is when the frame rate tanks any time you turn to look at a lootable area and the game is a buggier mess than the mod...?

On a i5 2500K and a GTX 760 the fps goes from 150 to as low as 15 from just turning around to look at an area with buildings off in the distance.

After one year, the game is still fundamentally broken at it's core, even on the most basic levels. These are the things from the mod that the players of the mod wanted fixed, yet they haven't been.

All we wanted was the mod, with the main glaring, game breaking bugs fixed, with a bit more content/polish. Surely 2 years is ample time to do that?

Encountered 3 infected in 2 hours, the animations combined with the hit detection, along with the horrible frame rate made these encounters as painful as they were laughably bad.

The mod had better optimization (and it's optimization was shit), the infected and the way that they spawned was much better than it currently is, melee was workable and hit detection seemed a hell of a lot better too.

Address the core issues and stop adding continual fluff to a turd to try and pretty it up. A pretty turd still stinks just as much as a regular one.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214651-twitter-hicks-at-best-were-a-year-and-a-half-from-10-right-now-and-were-still-at-the-point-in-which-things-are-prototype/?view=getnewpost

• Like 1

.....and yet another player who clicks that "I Agree" button every time before playing and doesnt read the text.

Next time why not pause a second and read it.

Let's be realists here for a moment. In 1 and 1/2 years, this game will be lucky to even have an audience. The core audience of the mod just wanted a game that was the mod, but without the major bugs. All that I know (who adored the mod) have moved on (for myself Elite Dangerous scratches this itch).

The foundation of the game is broken. It should have been bare bones, but solid at the release of the early access, then they would have been in the position to start adding content, deeper survival mechanics etc. (again, look at Frontier Developments and how they have developed Elite Dangerous for an example of how make to what amounts to DayZ in space).

This was the plan (according to every interview with Dean), and that is why the core audience of the mod bought and supported the stand alone as soon as it launched. This hasn't happened.

To use an analogy, it is like a band with a terrible drummer that is playing out of time and hitting loads of bum notes. It doesn't matter what the other musicians play over it, or how good they are, it will always be terrible because the foundation of the music is broken.

.....and yet another player who clicks that "I Agree" button every time before playing and doesnt read the text.

Next time why not pause a second and read it.

....and yet another person that is blindly defending criticism of a terrible, backwards development process that isn't going anywhere good (in the most predictable way imaginable).

Edited by soapmak3r
  • Like 7

Check the blue carts. I've found serveral mosins under them

I ended up finding on the back seat of a car in Severograd. 

Always the case

You're god damn right. 

Anyone else having 22 fps in Zelenogorsk? CPU 3.4 GHz, GTX 750 even using Very Low Object Details.

OK time for some fresh air. I didn't have a good chance to test things out after the last update, but I played the shit out of it this weekend.

Basic overall comments first....

Guys (Devs this is you), I understand that just about every variable at the moment is greatly exaggerated for the sake of seeing how it's going to handle.

Example:

-Loot Spawning (Holy shit lol really?)

-Heat/Cold transition and progression

-Boots breaking down

-Hydration/food

That said, I think things like these variables need to be hot-fixable or easily adjustable. They've more than made their point from a development standpoint, but now we have to put up with them until the next release (Probably in a month from now going by history from past large releases). I would suggest/think it would be better to do the "exaggeration" phase on experimental and to do a more stable "We think it should be around these levels" on the stable release.

I would suggest for when things on stable move to a more stable varable, that there be a complete character and loot reset across the board (Oh I know this will piss off some people)... But currently it's causing a load of crazy loot hoarding. I've seen people with dozens upon dozens of backpacks and tents deployed full of random junk. There's no way that can be good for server performance. (And not surprisingly enough, when I found these crazy stashes, those servers also happened to be the least stable of them all, crashing regularly with 5 people on server... Coincidence?)

I've said it before, and I'll echo it again, I wish the devs were a little more open with what they are expecting/looking to see from exaggerated variables like these. Let us know what variables will most likely change, and what you're testing for. People are receptive to this most of the time, compared to being in the dark and wondering what's going on. (I'm only assuming the variables are horribly exaggerated for testing, if these are your preliminary ideas for good numbers, I'm outa here.)

I like a lot of the new additions (Wish there were more greenhouses! You should be able to find these more commonly in complete rural areas and towns, not cities. It's kinda backwards no?) That or the ability to place them anywhere. Again this will probably change as things progress, but I'd like the ability to plant things anywhere I have dirt (Everywhere).

The heat/cold is really nice, but swings quite drastically at times. You're fighting horribly to get it to go in one direction, then suddenly it goes to the far end of the spectrum and you are fighting to bring it back again. My only comment on this, is when it comes to building fires, there needs to be easier ways to cut/find wood etc. Right now only an axe can do that (With the current loot it's not a problem) but with normal looting, it's hard to find axes, and worse is they self destruct after cutting down a couple trees (Not realistic). To compound the matter, houses all have piles of wood, and heaters/furnaces sitting right there. Please make them useful or get rid of them. (That's a future request, I know)

I discovered with trying to cool off, I jumped in a lake, POOF all my gear is gone. No it didn't come back when I got out, no matter how much pissing around. It was just gone. Very nasty surprise. Please fix that one before pushing temp related stuff too much.

At the moment it's fun, but because of the loot bonanza it's pretty much crippled the gamplay. KOS/banditry is insane at the moment because nobody has to worry about survival now. I'm big on the survival/wilderness aspect of the game at the moment, and it's pretty dead for a few reasons now.

-Persistance. You need this for proper survival stuff. But because it crashes the shit out of the servers, you can't transition from day to night any more before the servers crash. So if you want any kind of night action, you need a night only server, and now you're committed ONLY to that server.

-Fire. Again at the moment it's fine because of the loot, but once things go back to normal, this is gonna be hard to accomplish on a normal basis because you will need a backpack of axes. (Hacksaws should also be able to cut wood). As would be burning just sticks, even though they don't last as long, it should still be possible. Same for indoor furnaces and wood piles (Both indoor and outdoor).

-Stoves are still broken. They instaburn everything. (Before anyone says they work, they don't. Try it yourself and check the bug tracker, it's been known for a while).

-Hunting does weird stuff. Kill a deer, it teleports 200 feet away and lands on the ground. wtf? Kill another deer, it TPs to fuck-knows-where. Damn where's my supper!

-Wells are broken. (Yeah we know)

All in all it's a nice update, but because of the variables being so exaggerated, and some smaller bugs, it's hard to actually use a lot of the new stuff that was introduced. Why bother hunt/cook when there are bean cans everywhere. Why be stealthy and careful when I have an AK74, loaded Mosin, Longhorn, and Magnum.... Full army gear... etc.

I had my fun. But will probably wind up taking another break for a month until things settle down and little bugs get addressed.

• Like 1

Is anyone else noticing a return of desync issues? I seem to be getting a much smoother playing experience in terms of fps etc. But notice that sometimes I even hit the 100000 desync. I thought maybe just my connection but I check the player list and there are quite a few players in the server with the same issues as me

When my desync hits 100000, it's usually when I'm loading-in or when another player is loading-in around the generally vicinity.   Using the Player List, you can sometimes tell by clicking each Player and determining who has a similar desync to yours.

Is anyone else noticing a return of desync issues? I seem to be getting a much smoother playing experience in terms of fps etc. But notice that sometimes I even hit the 100000 desync. I thought maybe just my connection but I check the player list and there are quite a few players in the server with the same issues as me

Thread cleaned, keep it on topic and within the rules

If you wish to report a bug go here.

If you have come across questionable behavior ingame and have evidence PM a moderator, do not post it.

Do not post exploits/duping.

Do not attack the dev team.

All above will be dealt with.

Be kind to one another and have fun, carry on.

Steak.

• Like 6

It was a little laggy with all of the loot spawning in the miltary buildings today.

barracks01.jpg

How about the spawn placement of that banana?  B)

• Like 8