Sign in to follow this  
stielhandgranate

Do we really need more towns?

Big Map Changes: 5 New Towns & 4 New Unique Locations

Is anyone else let down that the idea to "Expand the game" is to build more towns with the same repeated structures? I really don't see a need for more towns with nothing new to offer. If we received new unique landmarks like the shipwreck and very tall building in novo I could see the merit however this current trend is as pedantic as community dayz mods that added in more barracks buildings.

• Like 13

Sorry, this is supposed to be in the general discussion section. please move.

I feel like it works as a suggestion. I'd rather they actually expanded the map than added towns everywhere, there should be way more wilderness than there is there's hardly anywhere good for a base because you're always going to be near a village or town someone is going to visit sooner or later.

It's way too saturated with towns so I think adding some extra area outside the map with more towns would be tons better.

With persistence I want it to be possible to hide my base because the wilderness is so vast and with an expanded map if they add helicopters it won't take 10 minutes to find every base.

I'm not sure how well they could expand the map of course but surely if they can edit large area's they can add more?

• Like 9

Maybe the new towns will be necessary given the rarity of guns and ammo in the future? And who knows how well their new development tools work (engine, etc.) -- maybe they can expand the map, put more km^2 between towns. I think that would make more sense than overcrowding a map that's arguably too dense as it is.

I'm pretty sure islands were talked about a while ago :) ... If islands were implemented people wouldn't all have to crowd into the northern forests they could head for the eastern or southern islands :) in my Opinion that would solve a lot of this "deforestation angst" ...

At the same time they added those towns sinistok , toploniki, ratnoe, zaprudoe, AND vavilovo and I hardly noticed until just this week lol ... Also that same dev tracker said that they will be adding 4 more "unique locations" and more so hopefully this will include awesome locations like the shipwreck and such ... So hopefully the vast forest that's about 10km squared in between grishino and dubrovka doesn't disappear because then I will have to agree but for now it still seems pretty foresty , although like I said if these new towns are in certain spots I'll have to concur in saying that there will be no true "great forests" anymore just short stretches of woods in between all towns.

Point the compass west and keep walking.. sooner or later you will see enough baron land to build yourself a small country, not many people like to go there so you can also be safe in the knowledge that its gonna be left alone.

Until the day we see helicopters in DayZ at least :)

We also have a prison to look forward to one day.. pretty sure that's still planned.. no?

Edited by NuckFuts

We need more towns in the northern and northwestern areas of the map. If you wonder why just visit those places. Elsewhere we don't need any but rather a few landmarks and maybe some dynamic places like the helicopter crash sites.

To experience more wilderness reduce the running speed to more authentic levels as soon as we actually got something to do on our travels - more survival aspects, animals, more threatening environment in the first place, rarer loot/better loot economy, peristence etc. This would also add more value to the upcoming vehicles.

• Like 2

Im guessing that expanding the map by adding more of the already existing houses is the fastest way of expanding it...compared to making the map bigger or putting in new types of houses. As far as I remember expanding the borders of the map is not something we will see in the near future. Making new houses also takes alot of time...seem to remember something like 2 months just to finish a new house.

I personally see no point in having more towns atm...but the wilderness in the west need some fluff. The wilderness is just flat ground with a picture of ground on it with lots of trees planted. Need rocks, small hills, rivers, dead trees etc...needs to look more overgrown.

Edited by svisketyggeren

ALL of the buildings are going to get revamped graphically eventually.

The way I understand it, new structures as well as the reworking of the existing structures is part of the development roadmap.

There are A LOT of new threads that pop up here that can be answered if the OP were to take time to get caught up on dev news.

• Like 4

i see some room for thoses 5 new town in NW and N. pretty sure the prison is for next exp patch as prisonner uniforms are beeing worked on and leaks of the prison (without texture) have been released a long time ago. well unique locations are a really good news, the ship and novo tower are really interesting places and i love the work they've done on severograd.

after these 5 new towns, i'll prefer some work to make existing town more unique rather than more town.

ho, and please add some rivers and small homemade wood bridges, it would make the world so much more alive !

• Like 1

Im guessing that expanding the map by adding more of the already existing houses is the fastest way of expanding it...compared to making the map bigger or putting in new types of houses. As far as I remember expanding the borders of the map is not something we will see in the near future. Making new houses also takes alot of time...seem to remember something like 2 months just to finish a new house.

I personally see no point in having more towns atm...but the wilderness in the west need some fluff. The wilderness is just flat ground with a picture of ground on it with lots of trees planted. Need rocks, small hills, rivers, dead trees etc...needs to look more overgrown.

How about taller trees? We need some monster trees no? I agree the west is too blah, Big trees, rocks and hills, dilapidated shack here and there......would look nice I think.

• Like 2

i can picture a huge oat on top of a small hill. a nice place to meet your friends ou burry bandits.

THATS THE BIGGEST OAT I HAVE EVER SEEN! :o

stipa.giga.1.jpg

Does this mean we will be able to make our own cookies and oatmeal now?

Edited by Deathlove
  • Like 2

We need more towns in the northern and northwestern areas of the map.

i see some room for thoses 5 new town in NW and N.

That's exactly what you'll get. There are at least twelve (12) towns with names that have not yet been added even in 0.50 Experimental, along with a slew of announced/unannounced key locations. Just the ones off the top of my head:

-Belaya Polana (141 002)

-Kamensk (066 008)
-Krasnoe (064 003)
-Nagornoe (092 007)
-Novaya Petrovka (036 022)
-Polesovo (057 018)
-Ratnoe (061 026)
-Smirnovo (114 002)
-Stary Yar (049 002)
-Tisy (034 005)
-Toploniki (027 030)
-Zaprudnoe (045 021)

-Military Base (Tisy) (014 011)
-Mine (Kamensk) (070 007)
-Krasnostav Compound (barracks near NEAF) (109 019)

...and a few others I'm not going to mention because I'd like them to remain a surprise for most people :)
Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

stipa.giga.1.jpg

Dont make any typos around this one lol

• Like 1

Im cool with new towns but some new expanded landmasses maybe a little more uniquely designed would be nice as well. Not just islands per say other areas of interest like mountains, canyons, etc.

• Like 1

Dont make any typos around this one lol

No but give me the ability to make cookies with oats and id be a happy camper. LMAO xD

• Like 1

stipa.giga.1.jpg

Awww, my bad, wanted to say oak (google trad power !). oak is the tree that drop acorn right ? it's called "chêne" in my native language and the huge ones can be older than 1000 years. beautifull tree and nice potential addition to the game.

• Like 1

ALL of the buildings are going to get revamped graphically eventually.

The way I understand it, new structures as well as the reworking of the existing structures is part of the development roadmap.

There are A LOT of new threads that pop up here that can be answered if the OP were to take time to get caught up on dev news.

This. So many people fail to read, understand and remember what devs have said in the past...

• Like 2

Awww, my bad, wanted to say oak (google trad power !). oak is the tree that drop acorn right ? it's called "chêne" in my native language and the huge ones can be older than 1000 years. beautifull tree and nice potential addition to the game.

I know what you meant lmao.

But you gotta admit making your own food from oats would be awesome to. We ALREADY have a sickle for harvesting crops in game like wheat and oats. The tool was not just ment as a weapon it does have function in that department. :P

Lots of new towns in my favourite parts of the map will offer an opportunity for my FPS to collapse to...1....even more frequently. >:(

Is anyone else let down that the idea to "Expand the game" is to build more towns with the same repeated structures? I really don't see a need for more towns with nothing new to offer. If we received new unique landmarks like the shipwreck and very tall building in novo I could see the merit however this current trend is as pedantic as community dayz mods that added in more barracks buildings.

They removed Pobeda Dam however you spell it. Why would they remove that to put in more shitty, copy&paste towns.

You're absolutely right. They offer nothing of value because they just look the same so one town is every town now in Cherno "+". It's a bit like those apartment blocks - does anyone else find them the most boring and awkward things to search?

Nerd (with nerd voice): "My new algorithm has come up with a floor plan so intricate that players won't be able to distinguish which rooms they have looked in."

Rocket: "Awesome!"

Nerd: "Add to that I'm going to allow only one can of beans to spawn randomly in the entire building will totally fuck with them!"

Rocket: "Brilliant!"

Nerd: "And the icing on the cake? Rooms you think you can squeeze inside but no matter how "sideways" you try, you'll never get inside....muwhahahaha!!"

Rocket:"Wait, so you stole that from my shipwreck algorithm?"

Nerd: "Ooh is that a balloon?"

• Like 5

I find it funny that there are complaints about map density being too high already and adding town would "clutter" even more; however if you log onto servers you rarely see someone outside of the big coastal cities, maybe catch some action at NWAF, and might run into someone else server hopping if you are server hopping yourself.  

I get that you are angry that the building will probably look the same.  That's annoying.  But stop trying to take the premise that the map is too small and too cluttered right now because it really isn't.  If you spent 8 hours running from Vavilovo, to the new tents out west, down to Zelenogorsk, and ended at Kamenka.  Then server hopped and ran back up my guess is that you would see maybe 3-4 people.   But if you spent 8 hours going from Cherno to Berezhino you would see 40-100.

The "density" you speak of is a product of a few things.  1.  Lack of gameplay options.  2.  Server population being so low.  3.  No vehicles. 4. (and the biggest reason)  The community dictates which parts are the most dense.

I fully expect that once 1-3 are addressed that the dev team will be required to have already or at the same time: expand the map with islands or distance/wilderness and revamp buildings or risk people losing interest and stop playing.

I welcome these new, smaller towns to fill up the large vacant areas of the North/Northwest. Some of you are complaining about these new towns being "copy & paste" but honestly I've found them to be quite the opposite. I find there are many other aspects of a town that separate it from the rest including the layout, presence of certain buildings, foliage in the area, presence/lack of farms, etc. Just because they have some of the same buildings doesn't mean they are alike. Many of the new towns are much more interesting to me than the older southern towns even though I'm fairly new to Chernaurus. Once these towns are finished they will focus on spicing up old towns and adding a more variation within the map.

On another note, as new towns have been added more foliage also comes along. Sinistok, for example, was once a large vacant field, absent of anything beyond grass. Now it's a quaint little town, fairly unpopulated, with variety of trees and underbrush. Nice place to settle in or around considering it's obscurity and proximity to NWAF.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 2