Sign in to follow this  
bluesydave

I miss the global text chat channel that was in the MOD

As a (most of the time) lone wolf I would like to have a global chat which you can enable/disable.

Because you sometimes don't meet or see a soul for ages I think it would be a nice addition to remind you that this is a multiplayer game.

I would also like a notification when someone dies. Just a "player x has died" would be sufficient.

Nope and Nope.

1) I don't want my location advertised across the entire server thanks. It's totally unrealistic and unfair.

2) You should have to confirm your kills yourself, not rely on a message to tell you it's safe.

As a (most of the time) lone wolf I would like to have a global chat which you can enable/disable.

Because you sometimes don't meet or see a soul for ages I think it would be a nice addition to remind you that this is a multiplayer game.

Play lone wolf style, complain that you don't meet people....

• Like 1

IMO it's good that you agree with me totally 100% Mor, you put my exact same points in a different order, and that's no problem. We are different people.

I read all your text and it was just as if I could hear you speak.

In that case I am happy that you think that global chat is better then your idea for the radio.. and as for your final remark, it would have been funnier if everyone on the internet was a native English speaker..

Also I liked your joke about <"consuls I presume?" >

No just a typo, but that topic seem to be a cause of constant buthurt to you, as evident by your weird references and spontaneous righteous rants. So please keep to the topic at hand.

It's also good you point out - because I didn't mention it myself - that just because one person likes something it doesn't mean another person likes it. Right there you say a very true thing about human beings. [..] "Hey- How about deaf people? [..]My headset is neat.. [..]I like to have conversations where I typ them on the keyboard, without speaking at all..

So far the only person who suggested to limited others options is you i.e. make radio --which is voice and text based-- into text only. As explained your arguments doesn't makes sense as they will not have the desired effect, only nerfing realistic gameplay aspects from the radio for your personal connivance.

In that case I am happy that you think that global chat is better then your idea for the radio.. and as for your final remark, it would have been funnier if everyone on the internet was a native English speaker..

No just a typo, but that topic seem to be a cause of constant buthurt to you, as evident by your weird references and spontaneous righteous rants. So please keep to the topic at hand.

So far the only person who suggested to limited others options is you i.e. make radio --which is voice and text based-- into text only. As explained your arguments doesn't makes sense as they will not have the desired effect, only nerfing realistic gameplay aspects from the radio for your personal connivance.

Do you mean "the realistic gameplay aspect of the radio" is that it doesn't work?

[edit: ... and etc etc rest of this page - I've taken out the comments.

I was stupid to reply in the first place: sorry dudes, dudesses and Mor. I think our ideas are similar, but if you disagree, then I agree to disagree, ..is not a problem]

The only reason I say "radio" is because it is already in the game. It's simple to use something you find already lying around. Technically its not "complicated" to include it in the gameplay, the software is already in place (I guess it's still there?).  Other ideas are technically more complicated  - I mean more complicated to implement, or else the devs have already said 'no'.

The only reason I suggest a use for the radio is because ATM it is useless.

A list of possible reasons for players not wanting to use TS is in an earlier post. I don't object to TS and I apologize to anyone who got that idea. Teamspeak gives groups a huge advantage in the game.

A radio that works over a long distance

A radio that the Devs do not object to

A thing that players who do not want to voice-talk or do not want to join Teamspeak can use.

A way to communicate that players who have difficulty with "talk" can really use in the game, so they can take part fairly.

xx Enjoy.

Edited by pilgrim

I would use the walkies but I've never gotten a response or heard anything even on full servers. They could add global chat but make it to were the only way you can use it is if you acquire some sort of satellite device like a phone or something idk. I wouldn't mind something like that because it still requires you to have to go out and find it.

They made them work globally instead of within like 2km. Then they broke them and have not fixed them since. There was some type of chat exploit and fixing that has temporarily broken the radios.

• Like 1

What I suggested, me -  I'm suggesting it .. me - pilgrim, not the devs or anyone else you can argue with about "limiting others options"  is a way of "increasing options". That's the opposite of limiting.

[..]

Perhaps you have not noticed yet what Kichilron repeats in this thread (he says it twice) right at the start - what the Devs have said - There will not be side chat in DayZ.

The radio is already in the game and it does all what you want and more, so if you want to remove its voice chat capability and reduce its channels its called limiting...

As for the devs sentiments, yes they were made clear on the first page. But as the thread title and many post suggest, not everyone agree with it. Just because the devs don't want it doesn't mean that it wont find its way to some servers, hence my interest in this thread to look at possible solutions.

As for your suggestion, the problem is that it not a good solution. It is a half assed measure, that is not here nor there, it removes games features, it wont bring people who moved away to other means, and modeled after realism as it is it doesn't address basic moderation needs i.e. it will not allow you to mute other people, so if your favorite cod kid decide to spam your conversation(whether its voice or text) there will be nothing you could do about it, except leave.

So bottom line is that even though radio is currently disabled, what the devs already have is better than what you suggest. (alas IMO it is still not sufficient)

Edited by Mor
  • Like 1

LEGIT QUESTION: How do you contact admin without global chat?

SECOND LEGIT QUESTION: Why isn't there emergency channel on the radio?

Edited by Zing Freelancer
  • Like 1

No.

Side chat is not immersive for me, i don't mean to be rude or offend anyone but it seemed to be only children that used it anyway so you would see some stupid stuff popping up on there like 'yolo swag no scoped you jhonny212' and that i could not deal with when i am trying to simulate an apocalypse.

It just does not fit in with what i think dayz is going for, now static radio's in building and walkie talkies for a kind of real life side chat where different groups could communicate via radio, that would be the kind of immersion i would go for.

• Like 1

Side chat is not immersive for me, i don't mean to be rude or offend anyone but it seemed to be only children that used it anyway so you would see some stupid stuff popping up on there like 'yolo swag no scoped you jhonny212' and that i could not deal with when i am trying to simulate an apocalypse.

It just does not fit in with what i think dayz is going for, now static radio's in building and walkie talkies for a kind of real life side chat where different groups could communicate via radio, that would be the kind of immersion i would go for.

If it seems to you that only children use chat, it probably because you only play with children (you perv ;) ) In that case be aware that walkie talkies might not be as immersive as you would like, as you will get the same kids swag and "trollololo"..

IMO the best solution so far would be to use radios, however, dispensing with most of its realistic aspects i.e.

1. You still need to find radios. Which should mitigate the problem of people who got shot revealing their assailant location. (It should also be possible to set it as a starting gear on private server)

2. Basic moderation options should be added. I love the idea of the radio, it would be amazing tool for private RP servers, but the realistic broadcast isn't practical, an option to MUTE players is a must! to moderate offensive\annoying people or those with technical issues(e.g. broken mic) transmitting server wide.

3. Make it easier to use. Radios should be found with batteries and take either a single slot or no inventory slots at all. There is no point in making it harder to use then it is, when there are so many great alternatives out there.

Bottom line it doesn't matter if its realistic or not. For all I care you can imagine that you got some gift that allow you to tune out annoying people, and that the radio is held by your buttcheeks. The main goal here is to encourage communication and cooperation by people sharing location via map, and making it unnecessarily harder will only push social people away and as a side effect will continue to encourage KoS in public servers.

Edited by Mor

To be honest, I think adding an EMERGENCY global channel to radios and walkie-talkies would really help the immersion. Imagine you are playing on your regular server with your friends on TS, got a radio in your inventory tuned in on EMERGENCY broadcast channel when suddenly you hear a voice "Hello, is anyone out there?".

Then of course you have your own private channels spread across various radio waves people can use if they don't have TS, or Skype, or just don't want to use either of those. But the thing is, these channels are still PUBLIC, anyone with a radio and nothing better to do can tune in on your conversation. If my memory servers me right there is only limited amount of available channels on the radio too. 

• Like 1

^ Its already ~possible http://dayz.gamepedia.com/WalkieTalkie just stay on the default channel

Yes I know that it's possible (if walketalkies were working to begin with), you can also specify it in server rules. In future server owners will possibly be able to spawn players with radios to begin with and announce in console rules about radio channel. But I would rather have designated channel so that when you right click on the radio it says TURN ON ENERGENCY and then Turn on 87.8 etc.

• Like 1

Yes I know that it's possible (if walketalkies were working to begin with), you can also specify it in server rules. In future server owners will possibly be able to spawn players with radios to begin with and announce in console rules about radio channel. But I would rather have designated channel so that when you right click on the radio it says TURN ON ENERGENCY and then Turn on 87.8 etc.

Is this something you would find on Walkie Talkies in real life?

If there is no such thing as a huge "Emergency-Button" on it in reality, I'd rather not have such a function.

• Like 1

Otherwise you wind up with the breathing in and out button, 

Hilarious :D :thumbsup: :beans:

Perhaps, but completely false, breathing is an automated process, you don't need to think breathe in, breathe out, if you did you'd be dead long ago. 

• Like 1

Is this something you would find on Walkie Talkies in real life?

If there is no such thing as a huge "Emergency-Button" on it in reality, I'd rather not have such a function.

Who put that stick up your bum?

A game first and foremost has to be accessible and game rules has to be easily understood by the players. If a player has to visit wiki in order to understand rules about radio use, than the game has failed to effectively communicate its rules to the player. Specifying an emergency channel button for radio might not be entirely realistic, but it provides a clearer explanation to what this channel is for.

Furthermore if you really want to beat this dead horse argument of realism, how realistic is it to use walkie talkies for communication across dozens of kilometres?

How realistic is it to be able to sprint for multiple kilometres with dozen of kilograms worth of gear and only get "Overheated" instead of completely exhausted?

Sometimes realism have to give way for entertainment.

On a different note, there is an international emergency channel and nobody will blame a radio manufacturer for creating a switch on their product in order to easily access emergency channel in case of emergency.

On a different note, there is an international emergency channel and nobody will blame a radio manufacturer for creating a switch on their product in order to easily access emergency channel in case of emergency.

Instead of being overly aggressive, this fact at the end would have sufficed. I don't know anything about the use of them and I was asking a legitimate question.

Next time, watch how you're replying, as this will not be tolerated as easily if directed at a normal member instead of a Moderator.

Instead of being overly aggressive, this fact at the end would have sufficed. I don't know anything about the use of them and I was asking a legitimate question.

Next time, watch how you're replying, as this will not be tolerated as easily if directed at a normal member instead of a Moderator.

Apologies, I thought you were criticizing suggestion for not being realistic enough.

I don't know much about radios either, I simply thought that having a channel designated as something else than tree digits and a dot would be more helpful to players in terms of explaining what this channel is used for. I now checked a bit more around and it looks like most hand held radios (ala similar to walkie talkies we got in dayz) got programmable buttons.

If it seems to you that only children use chat, it probably because you only play with children (you perv ;) ) In that case be aware that walkie talkies might not be as immersive as you would like, as you will get the same kids swag and "trollololo"..

IMO the best solution so far would be to use radios, however, dispensing with most of its realistic aspects i.e.

1. You still need to find radios. Which should mitigate the problem of people who got shot revealing their assailant location. (It should also be possible to set it as a starting gear on private server)

2. Basic moderation options should be added. I love the idea of the radio, it would be amazing tool for private RP servers, but the realistic broadcast isn't practical, an option to MUTE players is a must! to moderate offensive\annoying people or those with technical issues(e.g. broken mic) transmitting server wide.

3. Make it easier to use. Radios should be found with batteries and take either a single slot or no inventory slots at all. There is no point in making it harder to use then it is, when there are so many great alternatives out there.

Bottom line it doesn't matter if its realistic or not. For all I care you can imagine that you got some gift that allow you to tune out annoying people, and that the radio is held by your buttcheeks. The main goal here is to encourage communication and cooperation by people sharing location via map, and making it unnecessarily harder will only push social people away and as a side effect will continue to encourage KoS in public servers.

I have always assumed that if they do go with the whole radio idea then they will have a frequency system to go with it so what this means is that you would not have to listen to anyone you did not want to since it would be you who chooses the frequency, say frequency 107.04 was playing rick rolled then you just skip past that frequency, in no way are you forced to deal with anything you do not want to, also i think muting players is already in the game, you open up the player list and you can mute people.

Also that's the reason i am keen on static radios in certain houses and places, that way there would be no need to lower the inventory slots since people who do not have a radio can always find a static one, also imagine you have a base in a house with a static radio and then you can give your friends the handheld radios so you can stay in touch with each other, would be pretty awesome if someone kills you they can take your radio and torment you with it.

• Like 1

Interesting, where I come from, the emergency channel is 9.  The only reason I know that is because the AM radio station I listened to would repeat that every 30 mins or so.

Edited by Caboose187

Who put that stick up your bum?

A game first and foremost has to be accessible and game rules has to be easily understood by the players. If a player has to visit wiki in order to understand rules about radio use, than the game has failed to effectively communicate its rules to the player. Specifying an emergency channel button for radio might not be entirely realistic, but it provides a clearer explanation to what this channel is for.

Furthermore if you really want to beat this dead horse argument of realism, how realistic is it to use walkie talkies for communication across dozens of kilometres?

How realistic is it to be able to sprint for multiple kilometres with dozen of kilograms worth of gear and only get "Overheated" instead of completely exhausted?

Sometimes realism have to give way for entertainment.

There are no rules about radio use, wiki is lying to you.

Interesting, where I come from, the emergency channel is 9.  The only reason I know that is because the AM radio station I listened to would repeat that every 30 mins or so.

Most countries has several of those, for various services/regions which constantly monitored in operation rooms, however, it needs a network of towers and repeaters. I am not sure if there is a civilian version of that, any ham radio users around ? Edited by Mor

I have always assumed that if they do go with the whole radio idea then they will have a frequency system to go with it so what this means is that you would not have to listen to anyone you did not want to since it would be you who chooses the frequency, say frequency 107.04 was playing rick rolled then you just skip past that frequency, in no way are you forced to deal with anything you do not want to, also i think muting players is already in the game, you open up the player list and you can mute people.

Its been a while since I last played. To my understanding there only six open channels, so running isn't an option. As for muting and overall communication, we need streamlining. Making it easier to communicate and choose who you communicate with, should be a priority, IMO.

Also that's the reason i am keen on static radios in certain houses and places, that way there would be no need to lower the inventory slots since people who do not have a radio can always find a static one, also imagine you have a base in a house with a static radio and then you can give your friends the handheld radios so you can stay in touch with each other, would be pretty awesome if someone kills you they can take your radio and torment you with it.

That is an interesting idea!

There are no rules about radio use, wiki is lying to you.

Those are common sense "rules".. but if you find any wording issues, errors or missing info, you can easily help out by using the edit button. Edited by Mor

The side chat reminded me it was a multiplayer game when I have not encountered anyone in a while. I had many laughs and made a few friends on that. It will be missed. I hope it could be made optional in the future. 

• Like 1