Sign in to follow this  
bluesydave

I miss the global text chat channel that was in the MOD

Yes Pillock I agree on both your first points. I have written very long texts using emphasis and bold. You have mentioned it before. Sorry about that.

I start with a very simple idea, from the feedback I get a strong feeling it is not understood, so I explain in too much detail, with examples. This is a  mistake, I agree with you on that.

If you have multiple voice channels on the radio, and you are spammed on the channel you are using, how do you tell the players you are talking to which channel to move to? The spammers can also hear that too, unless you tell them by TS.  It is more interesting for gameplay and technically simpler to have a single channel and to know that anyone else with a radio cansee what you are saying. This would be a simple experimental starting point and the mechanics for it already exist.

I have nothing against TS - no problem  at all. TS has changed the gameplay, it makes DayZ SA into a different game. It provides a great advantage for TS users over non-users. That's fine by me. No problem. When players buy a game they expect to be able to use a headset with it. That is normal.

Many players are solo, so do not use teamspeak. Many players do not want to use TS for individual reasons I mentioned. I live in France, and know a guy in this village who was shot in the jaw in Algeria. He does not speak except to his close friends and does not answer the phone until he sees who's calling because of his speech difficulty. We can all think of reasons, or know examples, of people who do use headsets for various reasons.

There are posts on the forum from players who have tried to use typed chat in close range conversation, often because they do not have headsets, and are shot because it takes too long - in their opinion. I have noticed that and agree with them. Text-only is an idea for communication at a distance, when the player has time and some security, not in proximity with unknown players.

The problem of loud noises over the radio channel and the problem of voice spammers is most easily solved by using text, not voice, for communication by radio.

I would - personally - not object to global text side chat, because I am a solo player, but this is not going to happen. The radios are in the game already as part of realistic Cherno. Therefore my simple proposal is to make use of them. They must operate over a good distance otherwise they will remain useless, as they are now. Using keyboard chat eliminates loud stupid comments and music and is fair to players who are not in clans, have headset problems, speech difficulty, or are simply shy, or do not want players to notice their accent or their male/female voice, have no friends to join in-game, or cannot speak loudly at home, etc,  and avoid voice comms ..

Let's be fair to them.

I hope this clears up my simple proposal. This is as short as it gets.

Thanks for your input Pillock. You see, I have taken all your comments it into account.

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Yes Pillock I agree on both your first points. I have written very long texts using emphasis and bold. You have mentioned it before. Sorry about that.

I start with a very simple idea, from the feedback I get a strong feeling it is not understood, so I explain in too much detail, with examples. This is a  mistake, I agree with you on that.

If you have multiple voice channels on the radio, and you are spammed on the channel you are using, how do you tell the players you are talking to which channel to move to? The spammers can also hear that too, unless you tell them by TS.  It is more interesting for gameplay and technically simpler to have a single channel and to know that anyone else with a radio cansee what you are saying. This would be a simple experimental starting point and the mechanics for it already exist.

I have nothing against TS - no problem  at all. TS has changed the gameplay, it makes DayZ SA into a different game. It provides a great advantage for TS users over non-users. That's fine by me. No problem. When players buy a game they expect to be able to use a headset with it. That is normal.

Many players are solo, so do not use teamspeak. Many players do not want to use TS for individual reasons I mentioned. I live in France, and know a guy in this village who was shot in the jaw in Algeria. He does not speak except to his close friends and does not answer the phone until he sees who's calling because of his speech difficulty. We can all think of reasons, or know examples, of people who do use headsets for various reasons.

There are posts on the forum from players who have tried to use typed chat in close range conversation, often because they do not have headsets, and are shot because it takes too long - in their opinion. I have noticed that and agree with them. Text-only is an idea for communication at a distance, when the player has time and some security, not in proximity with unknown players.

The problem of loud noises over the radio channel and the problem of voice spammers is most easily solved by using text, not voice, for communication by radio.

I would - personally - not object to global text side chat, because I am a solo player, but this is not going to happen. The radios are in the game already as part of realistic Cherno. Therefore my simple proposal is to make use of them. They must operate over a good distance otherwise they will remain useless, as they are now. Using keyboard chat eliminates loud stupid comments and music and is fair to players who are not in clans, have headset problems, speech difficulty, or are simply shy, or do not want players to notice their accent or their male/female voice, have no friends to join in-game, or cannot speak loudly at home, etc,  and avoid voice comms ..

Let's be fair to them.

I hope this clears up my simple proposal. This is as short as it gets.

Thanks for your input Pillock. You see, I have taken all your comments it into account.

xx pilgrim

I forgive you.

• Like 3

Just make side chat a server option like the mod. Those whowant immersion can join a server with it disabled, and those who don't care join a server with it on.....simples :)

Refinement.....Still based on a server setting....lets call it "GlobalRadio"

GlobalRadio1 = Anyone with a walkie has access to a global style channel for txt only chat....voice coms restricted by range

GlobalRadio0 = Walkie coms voice and txt restricted by range

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 2

When the game is finally released, a mod or several vill be made that allows for sidechat on private shards. Thus, those who want it can use it and those who don't want it can go without. I personally Will use it as I find it strange to play a multiplayer game where you cannot communicate with the other players on the server.

• Like 3

I would also like a notification when someone dies. Just a "player x has died" would be sufficient.

Just why ?

. If folks want a strict, authentic reasoning behind having a type of side chat, maybe everyone should spawn with a mobile phone instead of a torch? ;-p

Phones working in a world with no electricity. Seems legit.  

Global chat, either text or voip, is extremely important for players to warn others about potential threats like a crazy KoS'er or hackers.

This is exactly why it shouldn't be there. Bandits and killers will no longer be able to do their thing. 

• Like 1

There is literally no argument you can use to justify a global side chat without shitting all over the crux of the game, which is a realistic survival horror MMO.

IF it is ever allowed, it should be an option only on privately owned servers, not public ones.

They should just add in ACRE which is brilliant. ACRE uses Teamspeak but there's no reason Devs can't make their own version but in essence, ACRE you can set your voice to whisper/normal/shout so you can be heard at different distances I think which is needed - if I'm in danger I don't want everyone in 100M hearing me say " you sneak around the left whilst I distract them...." As well as that, you can change channel on the radio and it will start to break up when you get further away from each other.

Game Dev's really need to sort this shit out now FFS. How long have we been using voice comms now? How shit are all the games at it? Hello - we buy the games give us what we want!

There is literally no argument you can use to justify a global side chat without shitting all over the crux of the game, which is a realistic survival horror MMO.

This, imo.

I don't wanna be "warned" globally about snipers / bandits / kos'ers. I wanna spot a player, feel a rush and the need to decide how to move now. I wanna feel like a lone survivor without a 24/7 newsfeed on my screen. Also, whenever side chat gets introduced, it WILL be abused. I don't wanna see idle players having a chat, pickup requests and killed players going like "omg effing batch fook you, you kid omg!!!!"

No global side channel pls.

• Like 1

1 ) if you think about it you will understand that "radio" communication and "side chat" communication are really exactly the same thing

2 ) In this idea, you need a radio with you, turned on, to activate your side chat, to send it or receive it

3 ) let the devs make it text only - no voice - so it's not misused by stupid-player voice talk or music and shouting, like side-chat was misused in the Mod

Ahh this is where you were getting confusing. 

I would disagree on many points here. 

Firstly radio communication is frequency selection using an item that must be acquired ingame. Side chat is global and ever persistent and requires no item acquisition. They are not the same thing.

Now you want to reduce the number of radio channels. This isnt good because it just will fill with spam either text or otherwise. It reduces creative uses and depth from the communication system. If anything we need MORE radio channels.

Thirdly you want it only text based. I would assume this is because you also only want one channel. If you dont like some tard spaming a channel just switch over to another one. It is an odd idea that you want to limit RADIO's to text only. Now if you want to implement pagers or something that could be fun and new.

Overall your ideas seem to lack scope and seem to just be targeting the fact that you dont like voice chat, and you want some kind of global typing chat, but dont want different channels.

• Like 3

Should at least spawn with a walkie talkie.

I find I get bored when none of my friends are online and wouldn't mind socialization that doesn't end in a firefight.

Its not like they are hard to find, at this juncture.

• Like 1

If people don't use them, their loss. If you can't spare the two slots for a walkie, you deserve the solitude :P

though I would guess the majority of players don't bother picking them up. After all why have a walkie talkie when you can have a can of beans or bullets instead.

I think it should not take up inventory space, like clothing. Then maybe it would be more commonly used.

In a sense I agree they shouldn't take up space as most walkies come with a clip that you can use to attach to your clothes.

• Like 2

I would use the walkies but I've never gotten a response or heard anything even on full servers. They could add global chat but make it to were the only way you can use it is if you acquire some sort of satellite device like a phone or something idk. I wouldn't mind something like that because it still requires you to have to go out and find it.

I would use the walkies but I've never gotten a response or heard anything even on full servers. 

Could have something to do with them not working. 

• Like 1

Global chats imo would ruin the game a bit. I wanna hear people and talk to people that i encounter, not people somehow talking to me miles away.

With only the direct chat, it adds to the apocalypse, you realize you really are alone until you encounter someone.

IF it is ever allowed, it should be an option only on privately owned servers, not public ones.

I think you mean "there is no argument to justify Teamspeak without shitting all over the crux of the game" because DayZ is "a realistic survival horror MMO" with Teamspeak in it.

There will never be a global sodechat in DayZ SA, Sacha Some servers already force you to use their global Teamspeak, but there is no global sidechannel on DayZ, There never will be.

I have nothing against Teamspeak. When DayZ reaches the gaming stations there will be a box  option to buy it with a headset. The DayZ headset with a sexy scull on it, or a military style camo headset... ya know.?

If anyone still carries a radio around -  or if anyone has ever used one and got any replies, if anyone has done something useful in the game with radios, to show they work - they could say so here on the forum, right? I don't see that happening. We all tried, right? Did anyone get any use at all out of radios? 

Can you suggest a use for these 'realistic' radios lying around in the game? Or should they be taken out ?

Hey, dude, Sacha I'm not attacking your post - I'm using it as one example of the posts from people who do not want global sidechat. Don't worry you people, there will not ever be global sidechat in dayZ. that's official.

There will be Teamspeak. Teamspeak will stay in the game and most people will use it. No problem. We know all what it's for and we know how it works. DayZ SA is a headset game, everyone knows.

A way making the radios work would be cool and make DayZ more realistic and immersive. It would be very good and immersive if the radios were there for a useful purpose.

A lot of players do not use Teamspeak. We can all think of their different reasons for keeping away from TS, if we try a little. I gave a list of a few of those reasons in a post already.

So should we just get rid of the radios out of the game?

I think text chat is OK and the radio is a way to have it and to turn it off if you don't want it. Then it doesn't bother anyone except the players who want to use it. Like teamspeak.

That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to enforce any rules on everyone. I use a headset too. I don't use teamspeak because I don't like it. I'm a loner, I don't want to be in a team or a clan. I don't want other players even to hear my voice. I know I'm not the only one.

Edited by pilgrim

I think you mean "there is no argument to justify Teamspeak without shitting all over the crux of the game" because DayZ is "a realistic survival horror MMO" with Teamspeak in it.

Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak Teamspeak  yada yada yada
Devs have no control over it. They do however have control over adding or not adding side chat. 
Edited by General Zod

Yo General Zod, hi and hail, mighty one! The Devs have said they will not have side-chat in the game, also everyone who has read this forum saw Kichilron's statement on the first page.

I had the little idea - just my personal idea without any special weight -  it would be a good thing to have a chat that can be turned off if you did not want it, that you don't have to see it on screen if you don't want to, that interfered with nobody unless they wanted it, and did not have loud noises, shouts and insults and a family argument in a kitchen in Birmingham and laughing about a loud TV comedy while you are stealthing through bushes in the game.

The radios are in the game - are they there for a reason?

If you think side chat should be in the game you should start a movement. There is a way to bring something a bit like side chat into the game, as long as it follows the suggestions above.. and the devs might accept it like that?

The only reason I dont mention "limited range" is that this would be technically a bit more complicated, the server would have to calculate the distances between each player who was involved across the map area. I thought a first, very simple, experiment could be tried out using technical stuff that already exists, so no extra sweat, and see how it goes and who uses it, or if it can be misused. It could be expanded or modified or taken out altogether as we go along through beta. Perhaps the devs could accept this? 

Are the radios for players to chat with?  You know -  by "chat" I mean to "communicate' with"?  Why are they there? They don't work.

I couldn't tell from your post if you are in favor of something as well as teamspeak, or if you want only teamspeak and nothing else? If you want something extra and immersive in the game which works and doesn't interfere with other players I agree with you. My opinion is many people want this too, but not so many want a Mod-style global chat.The Mod global voice-chat was often a good thing and it was very often a pain in the neck. So I'm replying to OP and Kichilron and the Devs with my idea of a fair solution for all of them.

As well as the radios not working  - also there are not many radios lying around in the game, and same with batteries.. so radio communication would not take over the world, even if it worked just a little bit. That's sad.. whatever..

Edited by pilgrim

Yo General Zod, hi and hail, mighty one! 

Gratitude

I couldn't tell from your post if you are in favor of something as well as teamspeak, or if you want only teamspeak and nothing else? If you want something extra and immersive in the game which works and doesn't interfere with other players I agree with you.

Things like walkie talkie or other means of long range communication that require item acquisition definitely should be in game. But no global chat.

As for TS use, nothing can be done, so I don't really waste time on the topic.  

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

Using keyboard chat eliminates loud stupid comments and music and is fair to players who are not in clans, have headset problems, speech difficulty, or are simply shy, or do not want players to notice their accent or their male/female voice, have no friends to join in-game, or cannot speak loudly at home, etc,  and avoid voice comms ..

I have a male/female voice, it's very embarrassing.

Edited by bluesydave
  • Like 1

Great discussion so far, with a fantastically wide range of differing points of view adding to the mix.

Edited by bluesydave

I remember the dayz of Epoch where you could banter with bandits in side chat, help newbies who asked for pick up and generally socialize with people while you were enjoying a game. Dayz lack the social part and so far it has done for me nothing less but degrade the overall experience and alienate players on the server. Building a community without communication is very difficult.

But I am certain that there will be servers which specify that channel Y is side chat and make all people start with a radio.

• Like 1

I think text chat is OK and the radio is a way to have it and to turn it off if you don't want it. Then it doesn't bother anyone except the players who want to use it. Like teamspeak.

1. There is nothing more simple then to add a minimize button to a side chat, hence you'll be able to turn it "on\off". So from now and on, lets assume that no one will ever force you to unwillingly participate in chat.

2. The great thing about chat, is that its not realistic and you should be able to mute anyone who abuse it. This isn't the case with radio, you have no control over who you can listen to, so if you having a lovely conversation and some troll decide to ruin it, there is nothing you can do except end it.

3. Depending on where and who you play with, it some times nice to always be able to chat, it passes the time during slow periods, especially after you got killed.

4. One of the more exciting things about radios is that they use voice. So people who use them can be overheard, or they can be used to lure\ambush someone into a position.

I have nothing against Teamspeak. When DayZ reaches the gaming stations there will be a box  option to buy it with a headset. The DayZ headset with a sexy scull on it, or a military style camo headset... ya know.?

Really? because it sound like you do.. all this talk about TS culture, school clans, gaming stations(consuls I presume?), sexy sculls?! etc It seems that you think its COD console kiddies thing. Just because you are not uncomfortable using voice chat doesn't mean others don't..

1. There is nothing more simple then to add a minimize button to a side chat, hence you'll be able to turn it "on\off". So from now and on, lets assume that no one will ever force you to unwillingly participate in chat.

2. The great thing about chat, is that its not realistic and you should be able to mute anyone who abuse it. This isn't the case with radio, you have no control over who you can listen to, so if you having a lovely conversation and some troll decide to ruin it, there is nothing you can do except end it.

3. Depending on where and who you play with, it some times nice to always be able to chat, it passes the time during slow periods, especially after you got killed.

4. One of the more exciting things about radios is that they use voice. So people who use them can be overheard, or they can be used to lure\ambush someone into a position.

Really? because it sound like you do.. all this talk about TS culture, school clans, gaming stations(consuls I presume?), sexy sculls?! etc It seems that you think its COD console kiddies thing. Just because you are not uncomfortable using voice chat doesn't mean others don't..

IMO it's good that you agree with me totally 100% Mor, you put my exact same points in a different order, and that's no problem. We are different people.

I read all your text and it was just as if I could hear you speak.

It's also good you point out - because I didn't mention it myself - that just because one person likes something it doesn't mean another person likes it. Right there you say a very true thing about human beings.

Also I liked your joke about <"consuls I presume?" > 

"Hey- How about deaf people? How many of the 2 million DayZ players are deaf or have hearing problems? Could you (or anyone) give me an estimate?  You know, a lot of people have problems with hearing and often that causes problems with their speech too.  Some people think they sound funny and laugh at them but I don't think they sound funny.

You ever read or heard about Martha's Vinyard sign Language ?

Did you read where I told you I had a headset for DayZ? It's an SOG (Spirit of Gamer Expert Headset) and comes with a sheet of scull stickers in the box to stick on it and on the mouse (they call it "Advance Spirit of Gamer Xpert-M8 Mouse", check it out.) The mouse also comes with it. Plus there are enough scull stickers to spare so you can put them on other stuff too. I don't like the mouse too much because I'm left handed and it's ergonomic for right handed players.

But that's the kind of stuff us abnormal players just have to put up with..

My headset is neat.. it works good. It has two dials to turn up the voice and - at the same time - turn down the background noise and music if I want. It's a very good quality headset. Maybe not everybody could afford it. I would put in an image so you can see the scull badges, etc, but you can check it yourself and the pic is not in line with the subject - this forum is about Text-Chat.

I like to have conversations where I type them on the keyboard, without speaking at all.. I guess you do too otherwise you wouldn't be doing it.

Edited by pilgrim