haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

Anyone noticed the new sound of the footsteps of animals ( at least the Boars)? I was near a Green Mountain and some footsteps scared me, and for my surprise was a Wild Boar!

Sadly i wasnt recording it. : (

Edited by Polini

Melee feels fantastic right now. (at least for me) Was fighting 4 zombies at once and dispatched them all with one hit, never got hit also. 1 was running towards me and I just sidestepped while attacking at the right time and his body went  flying towards a wall. Felt very satisfying.

(some said that weapons/guns/ammo/mags/clips were rare, but I found lots of all of these. 2 mosins inside the same police station.)

(Pics of gear )

I left behind lots of shotgun ammo, .22, an amphibia mag, a sporter mag, shotgun speedloader, blaze 95 speedloader, magnum speedloader, etc. Loot seems very fine too me. (note that all of these were found on the same server during a 2 hour run from Cherno, to Myshkino, and stopping by Balota airfield, Pavlovo military base and Zelenogorsk. Not looking in every building and even skipping the 2 jailhouses at Balota.)

That is great....still...why you think this is "important" feedback ? I know you guys are excited about spawning in the south and all that.. but... dude...

Anyway... so the North is going to be empty again ?... that's great !! I haven't been in Rify for ages. :D

Switched servers after reset (I'm switching between just 2 servers when I have to) and found I was back to the 2nd character again.

Zed AI and pathfinding is much improved.

All of the old tricks for sneaking and dodging zeds are working well.

Zeds can be seen idle from a great distance again (yay).

Someone locked a Zed into the hospital I was going to loot and I ran away (boo). :o

(Sorry guy who tried to confirm friendly, I'm not feeling trusting right now, and would rather just run away and leave the town for you.)

I cant even find any experimental server anymore. Anyone else?

I had this problem once and simply rebooting steam helped me.

Edited by BioHaze

Anyone noticed the new sound of the footsteps of animals ( at least the Boars)? I was near a Green Mountain and some footsteps scared me, and for my surprise was a Wild Boar!

Sadly i wasnt recording it. : (

cows outside of berezino - and they were loud footsteps at that.

Switched servers after reset (I'm switching between just 2 servers when I have to) and found I was back to the 2nd character again.

Zed AI and pathfinding is much improved.

All of the old tricks for sneaking and dodging zeds are working well.

Zeds can be seen idle from a great distance again (yay).

Someone locked a Zed into the hospital I was going to loot and I ran away (boo). :o

(Sorry guy who tried to confirm friendly, I'm not feeling trusting right now, and would rather just run away and leave the town for you.)

I had this problem once and simply rebooting steam helped me.

Hey..how i see it, better to be an alive chicken than a dead hero. 

Edited by Cpanther

That is great....still...why you think this is "important" feedback ? I know you guys are excited about spawning in the south and all that.. but... dude...

Anyway... so the North is going to be empty again ?... that's great !! I haven't been in Rify for ages. :D

Rify is more east than north really....

This is experimental discussion. What you think isn't important, might not be for everyone else. I didn't really care to spawn south, or east, or whatever, but someone was surprised to have an Elektro spawn, so I shared my experience in the same way. (At least I know this guy is interested in this particular feedback.)

One thing that really really bugs me is that once you get into a server, then when you are to play the next time you can bet on that once you press play, you get to the server list.

Last known server seems to be really broken.

Another thing with the canned food CTDs... I noticed that if you open a can of sardines, drop it, then right-click from vicinity you don't crash. Might be useful. :)

My server just went down while I was cooking fish. :( 

One thing that really really bugs me is that once you get into a server, then when you are to play the next time you can bet on that once you press play, you get to the server list.

Last known server seems to be really broken.

This happens when the "last server" is full and if im not wrong it is like this since the beginning of the alpha.

Edited by lauda

This happens when the "last server" is full and if im not wrong it is like this since the beginning of the alpha.

Happens with basically every server i get into, no matter if they are to be full or almost empty.

As for canned good i can eat anything i find without crashes, but then again id rather find servers instead.

Edited by Grihm

Why all experimental servers are resetting every 5 minutes? Some one else with that problem?

• Like 1

Another thing with the canned food CTDs... I noticed that if you open a can of sardines, drop it, then right-click from vicinity you don't crash. Might be useful. :)

*snip*

I opened a can of sardines while it was on the floor and ate all from right click in inventory in jacket and did not crash.

• Like 2

Why all experimental servers are resetting every 5 minutes? Some one else with that problem?

I got the same, every server i was on, was rebooting after 5 minutes.

I think i was on one, which didnt reboot.

I took a break, then came back - after this E.V.E.R.Y. server was rebooting every 5 minutes, pretty annoying

i dont think the server are resetting. I went onto one, after 5-6 mins, the "no message received" came up, but looking at the server list, the same server still had a shed load of players on and wasnt at 12:00, it was 13:15 or something like that. Happened again 10 minutes after too.

I think the clients are treating a few lost packets as a disconnect from the server.

Played with a friend this evening. It was great fun. :)
Meele works fine for me and the new different animations of the zeds are very nice. The "jump attack" animation of the crawlers work now as it should, I think (- still some desync problems but the jump is smooth).
The weather part is much better and well-conceived.
But the best part for me are the door sounds :wub:  This is a huge step and I cant wait to hear more of them.

We also had much disconnects or server restarts (10-15 in 4h) and one time CTD.

All in all a great update! :beans: THX devs! :thumbsup: :)

edit:

We also noticed some invisible zeds and equipment (backpacks, knifes, ...) One of us could see it but the other one couldnt.

Edited by xCAPx
  • Like 1

Experiencing LOTS of FPS spikes. They were pretty rare in 0.48 and earlier versions.

Balaclava cannot be mended with sewing kit.

Balaclava clips a little with beanie hat, but combination of the two still looks great.

Edited by Powerhouse

Anyone else notice the really nice new hoe and shovel animations for digging up worms? Methinks a little prep for horticulture there.

• Like 3

After the last 2 updates my game started to crash after 5 min of play, that never happened before. 

Melee is still wonky, it was a pain in the ass killing two zombies with a baseball bat. Also, there is much

less lag/dsync than before. It's still not perfect (far from it) but you can definitely see improvement in a few areas.

I think they should really work out fixing crashing than anything else at the moment.

Anyone else notice the really nice new hoe and shovel animations for digging up worms? Methinks a little prep for horticulture there.

those are for digging worms?? who knew...

in all seriousness I am kinda excited about the whole horticulture thing, not that I am anything close to a farmer these days but it will be interesting to poke around in someone else's garden for a while.

• Like 2

Pickaxe as melee is probably one of the worst decisions I have made so far. It keeps missing no matter where you aim - off to the right, left or above the head, it never seems to hit correctly. Thank goodness I finally found an axe! Shovel, Crowbar and Fire Extinguisher are still as much a joke as a baseball bat, but for some reason that makes sense.

I don't know if it's the pickaxe, the hitbox, the swing of it, but it should provide a ton of damage similar to any axe. Just my two cents.

Also I have trouble opening / closing doors. It seems to have gotten much harder to find the sweet spot - and for some reason some doors are open while others are closed when normally players open every door in a building. I don't know how to explain it, it just seems so random.

And: Game ain't crashing if you open the can of whatever, throw in on the ground, and then select eat all.

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 1

so, finaly my first post in this forum :)

so, i have no problems whit sardines, tuna or something else. i try to open - works, eat - works, eat all - works. tried it several times. but i have several options to choose if i right click on it and the options have no description in the "drop down menu". will make a screenshot tomorow.

the only problem i have is that i can´t test the new items etc. all server chrashed after 10-20 minutes so there was no chance to find or test the branch at all. nevermind, the doorsounds are greate and it makes the game much harder for all those pvp/ cod/ bf players :) love this game more and more :)

so, my english isnt the best but i hope you guys understand what i mean.

Edited by Stoffel
  • Like 2

Pickaxe as melee is probably one of the worst decisions I have made so far. It keeps missing no matter where you aim - off to the right, left or above the head, it never seems to hit correctly. Thank goodness I finally found an axe! Shovel, Crowbar and Fire Extinguisher are still as much a joke as a baseball bat, but for some reason that makes sense.

I don't know if it's the pickaxe, the hitbox, the swing of it, but it should provide a ton of damage similar to any axe. Just my two cents.

Also I have trouble opening / closing doors. It seems to have gotten much harder to find the sweet spot - and for some reason some doors are open while others are closed when normally players open every door in a building. I don't know how to explain it, it just seems so random.

And: Game ain't crashing if you open the can of whatever, throw in on the ground, and then select eat all.

Doors are randomly opened or closed on server restart so you cant tell if a place has been looted now by just seeing doors open. Strange your having so much trouble with melee i havent tried the pick axe but i have tried the shovel the baseball bat the fire extinguisher cattle prod machette. All of them seem to be working damn well hell i even managed to kill a hopper with a baseball bat in 1 swing.. The shovel is still 2 hit kill for me one to the head they go down then one more wack anywhere there dead....

I have found some doors seem a little harder finding the open section and yet other seem much easier (and some i can open from way to far away unless my character has 6 foot arms lol)