haknslash

Experimental Branch: 0.49 Discussion

The melee and hit detection in .49 is much improved from .48.

Fighting zombies has a similar feel to prior patches and in some instances I thought better in general.

• Like 4

Depends on the melee weapon and the direction from wich you attack the zombie. The shovel was never so bad/broken like now, spliting axe is ok but from behind you often miss the zed, fire axe is imo atm good (the best). Farming hoe is just weird... can't explain.

Generelly you have to aim with the dot/crosshair a bit higher and more right. All in all it's not proper fixed.

Edited by Sharplooter
  • Like 1

They wanted to kill me just to steal my cowboy hat! :o

The experimental servers are really messed up at the moment. Much loot, weird sounds all over the place like you hear every zombie scream, eat/drink/reload sound from all over the server, extreme lag when you eat or drink something. And the servers go offline after 30 minutes or less.

Edited by brudertack82

Going through this thread I'm a little confused about the melee situation. Is there still a big problem with being unable to make contact with people/zombies? Seems some people think it's fine, some people think it's not, and some people think it's just certain weapons.

Does anyone have very little problem with melee or is it still very much fucked up?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209353-experimental-branch-049-discussion/?p=2102114

In short, some people are having issues. Pay attention to the swing animation to get clues about how to land melee hits or just follow my advice in the above post. Screwdrivers and bayonets are basically idiot-proof and very effective.

Generelly you have to aim with the dot/crosshair a bit higher and more right. All in all it's not proper fixed.

This essentially describes the swing arc of an axe. I like to have what I think of as ninja battles with zombies in which we'll charge each other, I'll begin the swing and as it's executing move slightly to the left so that I get the zombie in the head while passing it by.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/209353-experimental-branch-049-discussion/?p=2102114

In short, some people are having issues. Pay attention to the swing animation to get clues about how to land melee hits or just follow my advice in the above post. Screwdrivers and bayonets are basically idiot-proof and very effective.

This essentially describes the swing arc of an axe. I like to have what I think of as ninja battles with zombies in which we'll charge each other, I'll begin the swing and as it's executing move slightly to the left so that I get the zombie in the head while passing it by.

That motion with the axe sounds exactly like it was before melee got really bad. I always used to aim a little above the head as I was moving around them in a circle. Sounds like it's more or less back to that, which is fine. As long as it's playable.

Things have just gotten silly.... I went to the NWA and found crazy amounts of loot.... so much loot that if I died there would be no ramifications from it... Just jog to the airfeild and rearm.  It sorta reminds me of Quake 2.

Things have just gotten silly.... I went to the NWA and found crazy amounts of loot.... so much loot that if I died there would be no ramifications from it... Just jog to the airfeild and rearm.  It sorta reminds me of Quake 2.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the fact that stable has no weather, I'd switch back for now. Abundant loot makes everything feel cheap and pointless and you just need one of these loot mountains to get that feeling.

Seems to me like it depends on the server where all the loot piles spawn. I logged into NWAF on 4 different servers & only 1 had any loot to speak of. Ran to Vybor Mil. camp on all 4 servers, 2 server's had NO loot, 1 had stacks of crap & the other had a KOS'er that popped me in the head (even though I was only wearing a couriers pack), then stood over me & screamed "sorry dude, i gotta live".

Hey guys, does someone know a bit more about this whole horticulture business? I always thought this means you can grow plants inside a house or whatever - but what does "placeholder" mean? That it is not fully implemented yet / not working?

If it is working, I might have to get back to actively playing again for a while to check it out.

Thanks!

Hey guys, does someone know a bit more about this whole horticulture business? I always thought this means you can grow plants inside a house or whatever - but what does "placeholder" mean? That it is not fully implemented yet / not working?

If it is working, I might have to get back to actively playing again for a while to check it out.

Thanks!

I've been wondering this too , although I'm pretty sure it's not in experimental , I think they will have it on the next experimental (or better yet when .49 is pushed to stable , but this is just hopes).

• Like 1

Why are so laggy the EU exp servers? As out a dozens only 4-5 works.. People and zombies are stuttering horribly!

the 2.5 millions of copy you sold aren't enough?

such patethic.

Why are so laggy the EU exp servers? As out a dozens only 4-5 works.. People and zombies are stuttering horribly!

the 2.5 millions of copy you sold aren't enough?

such patethic.

Your Englian is really funny.

I really don't understand this spawn system.... the last grid one was awful and this one is no better. Some towns have TONS of loot but it's all garbage, basic survival stuff. Some towns are empty. I have tons of Mosin ammo now but I picked an SKS over the Mosin at the Novo Tower Christmas giveaway. I chose poorly. I have almost circled the map now and was near Zeno and Balota for fresh reboots and found nothing. Not one HC vest, AKM or pistol clip. I saw one TTSKO jacket but it was badly damaged. Not one ammo box, can opener or protector case either. I have yet to find a tent also, either as loot or pitched. 

I don't know if I like the fast running up stairs, if there is any lag and there is no railing... your doomed. 

I still think the melee system needs work. 

• Like 1

Your Englian is really funny.

With my english I sold lamps and scolphtures made of glass at tousands of euros to tourists from worldwide.

With your english you are probaby still begging.

Edited by GunnyITA
  • Like 2

Hey, Dennus - how's your Italian?

Pazzo.

Horticulture?  You can lead a horticulture, but...

:D

Z

Respawning loot is hilariously borked, I found 10 LRS and 15 PU scopes in one garage complex.

Respawning loot is hilariously borked, I found 10 LRS and 15 PU scopes in one garage complex.

How 'bout food? I also do find stuff like scopes, gas stoves, shoes and chemlights ( and hats ! ) but everywhere i go seems to be void of any food and drinks.

Since 0.49 came out, i either starve or i run into a lootstash of vegetables. Oh and infinite items ( found several pipsis and vegetables that simply wont dissapear when you selected "eat all" ( "drink" ) from the vincinity menu rather than picking it up first. My last character got energized by a single tomatoe on a shelf that simply would not dissapear, as long as i eat it from the vincinity window.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

eBay!

Yeah, how about we open up zBay? :D  I have 6 Backpacks stashed away with Food, Bandages, extra Clothing and Weapons and Ammo and and and... But it does get tiring after a while.

FUN FACT: After a server restarts, the exact same items spawn in the exact same place in some houses. Mostly food and Ammo, but sometimes also Backpacks.

Edited by Demonica
  • Like 2

Beans for zBay

Yeah, how about we open up zBay? :D  I have 6 Backpacks stashed away with Food, Bandages, extra Clothing and Weapons and Ammo and and and... But it does get tiring after a while.

FUN FACT: After a server restarts, the exact same items spawn in the exact same place in some houses. Mostly food and Ammo, but sometimes also Backpacks.

Thanks!

Horticulture, along with the wolves, fingerless gloves, 2 new guns, firefighter clothes, new helmets, etc. (the rest of 0.49) will be in a patch we'll probably get next week or the week after.

As for placeholder, it's a term defining a feature in game that's added that will eventually be different as the game progress to final release. A temporary look, sound, feel and overall details of a feature/aspect of the game. Pretty much everything we get in the current state of the Alpha is a placeholder. 

Ex: The fire doesn't even have sound effects. The AKM uses an old ArmA 1 sound file. The fishing animation has changed since it's first implementation, and will get further tweaks in the future. Same has the way your character has the bow on it's shoulder, it's only temporary.

The horticulture feature we'll get with experimental 0.49+ will be a placeholder, for further tests, tweaks, polishing, and diversity/expansions.

• Like 2

Thanks Odin, that was finally an explanation I understand! Man, once the wolves get in... they'll get axed! Unless they sneak in from behind you in a pack without sound files or distinguishable noises, that is. :o

• Like 1

Just been on face book and they say the 0.49 release to stable has been put back and so they should.  There are loads of problems on exp at the moment that I hope they are sorting as in its current state not many people would be playing this on stable.  I have found it very frustrating as twice I gave died from zed attacks due to lag.  Can't even run away from them when that happens. I have tried and failed.  Do you get the feeling at the moment it is one step forward and two steps back with the way things are going. Lets hope we start going the other way on the next update lol.

Saw this today in the server browser...

Private hives I have never seen before. I was able to join one but there was no z's or loot.

Capture1_zps39ac2b6d.jpg

and what looks to be the new experimental version...

Capture2_zps88eb7e6e.jpg