SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.46 Discussion

I'm starving and have nothing to drink. But hey, i found 1 million hats (i mean like 1 or 2 in EVERY building), and more important: thousands of shoes and rotten fruits!

It's great...we just need the feature "eat hat" to solve a lot of problems... -.-

edit:

It's obvious that the developers are testing the loot spawning (or respawning?) routine. But food and drinks seems to be very rare.

I like the idea or rare guns and ammo, because i don't want everyone being equipped like Rambo. But looting one village and finding 15 hats, 6 pair of shoes, 5 rotten fruits and a weapon cleaning kit isn't really helpful.

Edited by EmZ

but you are dieting with something at your top. 

i'm starving with nothing but a firefighteraxe (yes, found it in an instant o.O). after looting (or not) 10 villages at maybe 5 servers i saw a lot of flashlights but no food at all :(

I actually like it that food and drink is more rare.

Makes hunting, fishing and picking apples/berries actually needed in the game.

Yes. I think this is a good approach. Searching for wells and apples/berries. But there is one point: you eat 4 apples and you are instantly getting hungry again. I know this is a sensitive part of this game. It shouldn't be too easy to just pick an apple and be energized again...

But now you eat 8 apples a night and still starve until sunrise.

• Like 1

OMG, my super cheesy and exploitative methods for cycling loot no longer work so the system must be broken!!! 

Or maybe it's fixed. Seems like loot is respawning to me, it's just happening at a slow rate and useful items are weighted lower than junk loot. Just like in the mod where tin cans where the junk loot that filled out loot respawns first, now it's rotten fruit. If loot wasn't respawning at all, I would think that I would of come across a few buildings by now that have been completely picked clean. 

• Like 1

OMG, my super cheesy and exploitative methods for cycling loot no longer work so the system must be broken!!! 

As a fresh spawn you run around and have to rely on the stuff you find in the next village. And if 95% of the loot are hats, shoes and rotten fruits...it gets confusing and frustrating. You run for the next town, arrive barely alive just to face a ton of hats again.

My character is 2 hours old and has 2 rags, a crowbar and a motorcycle helmet. I survived by eating apples and berries but i'm still pretty hungry. It's like the third or fourth char that faces starvation or bleeding to death after one unlucky zombiepunch ...

This is my experience on the servers i joined. Perhaps they didn't restart quite a while and the normal loot was taken and automatically replaced by this crap or the developers like it this way...i don't know.

Edited by EmZ
  • Like 1

My character is 2 hours old and has 2 rags, a crowbar and a motorcycle helmet. I survived by eating apples and berries but i'm still pretty hungry. It's like the third or fourth char that faces starvation or bleeding to death after one unlucky zombiepunch ...

sounds great!

the initial posts in this thread is citing examples from .47

the current situation on build .48 is much different and much harder to exploit but results in hardly any loot spawning in high traffic areas

after 2 hours of not finding any can of food (just a fireaxe, bocks and flashlights) it IS frustrating. that's a bit too rare

As a fresh spawn you run around and have to rely on the stuff you find in the next village. And if 95% of the loot are hats, shoes and rotten fruits...it gets confusing and frustrating. You run for the next town, arrive barely alive just to face a ton of hats again.

This is my experience on the servers i joined. Perhaps they didn't restart quite a while and the normal loot was taken and automatically replaced by this crap or the developers like it this way...i don't know.

The beginning of a life when things are like this can be very depressive, I agree. The upside to a depressing start to a characters life though, is that feeling of you you will get when stumbling across that first big find. One example would be a time when things were scarce, I had my pockets filled with cans of food, but had nothing to open them with. 3 towns inland before I found something to open them with and it was a joyous moment. Another example would be a time where I think I started around Factory, picked clean > ran up to Orlevets, empty > Construction site, empty > Dolina, empty > Msta, empty > Castle Rog(I think that's it name), finally find something worth picking up and it was an axe and a gun. It was a pretty "WOOOT!!!!!" moment after going so long without any positives aside from a can of tuna that was well hidden enough to not have been previously found. I guess the point I'm trying to make there, that scarce loot isn't at all that bad. Keep moving and you're going to eventually find more and more, but if you don't change your ways and stay on the same path that dozens before you have also taken, then you really have no ground to stand on.

So far, on .48 the world has been quite kind to both my characters. Both are armed and have some decent gear, enough to survive and earn more gear with at least. Yes, it's getting harder and harder to find cans of food and ammo as the days go on, but still possible. I scoured a few apartment buildings in Hobo and found 2 cans of the Chef on a single floor. I later found a can of peaches at a train station that had been attempted to be loot cycled. If you don't give up, you will find stuff. Stuff that people didn't need, find, or had respawned is all out there waiting for you to find. Good luck.

• Like 1

Loot respawn doesn't seem to be activated on experimental. Been to the places where it used to work well, but nothing respawned when you picked up items or waited for a while. We'll see if they re-introduce it in a future patch/fix for experimental. (wondering if it works on stable since it's the 0.47 build...)

No, it works.. just differently than before. I sort of cracked the code earlier tonight.. I made a gift tree, go look in the gallery section for "The Giving Tree" ;)

• Like 1

I'm starving and have nothing to drink.

You have an unlimited quantity of water to drink from wells, ditches and ponds. All of which you can find on the map.

You have an unlimited quantity of water to drink from wells, ditches and ponds. All of which you can find on the map.

Yep, water ain't the problem here. Food is. .48 in it's borked state basically reduces the game to shaking the apple trees (the mechanic itself is ridiculous, but that's not the point). No point in "testing" anything. It added the starvation threat to the game, which is a good thing and surely better than cans of food on every corner, but right now it's just not bearable. 

Edited by Caspartine

Ah, that reminds me to nudge Rocket about implementing random contaminated water sources (wells) and the need to use medical supplies.
I forgot, my excuses.

• Like 2

Ah, that reminds me to nudge Rocket about implementing random contaminated water sources (wells) and the need to use medical supplies.

I forgot, my excuses.

i better start stocking up on those water purification tablets then :) 

Aside from the imbalance of the loot and the ability to exploit I had one of the better gaming experience in DayZ these past couple of days. My first life didn't go too well because I gave a guy I met my shirt because he was bleeding and had a broken limb. I thought hell I'll find some stuff in the next couple of minutes, I'll be fine...Nope dead 10 min later from bleeding out due to zombies.

My next life has been going good for a half day and I finally killed a deer and cooked it, got an AKM and Makarov and some ammo, and I'm healthy. My decisions actually mattered now, finding alcohol tincture mattered for cleaning all the dirty rags I made from ruined clothing I came across. I'm surviving and I love it.

Just need to remove loot piles and rebalance loot respawning so you don't have immersion breaking experiences.

Currently, all experimental branch servers operate with restart warnings - they should be every .. hour? then 5 minutes prior, and then 1 minute prior. Keep your eyes open!

If they do not occur, then it is most likely due to a crash - these happen on experimental from time to time. :)

• Like 1

So, loot respawn? I experienced too that there barely seems to be any loot now. I've lost three characters in a row due to starvation, eventhough I always choosed another direction from the spawn. Everytime i spawned near Olsha. First toon went to Svetlo -> empty. Second Toon went to Krasnostav -> empty. Third one decided to try out Cernaya Polana -> Empty. But in almost every valuable House i find the occassional flashlight+battery or a blue jeans.

It just feels like i am the 1000th visitor in every building i enter.

I also started to desperately server hop once the "I'm dying of starvation" messages popped up. Same situation on every server i enter.

Zombie respawn on the other hand works just fine. Eventhough the villages are completely cleared from food, mellee weapons or anything useful, my poor character encounters plenty zombies.

Edited by ChainReactor

So, loot respawn? I experienced too that there barely seems to be any loot now. I've lost three characters in a row due to starvation, eventhough I always choosed another direction from the spawn. Everytime i spawned near Olsha. First toon went to Svetlo -> empty. Second Toon went to Krasnostav -> empty. Third one decided to try out Cernaya Polana -> Empty. But in almost every valuable House i find the occassional flashlight+battery or a blue jeans.

It just feels like i am the 1000th visitor in every building i enter.

I also started to desperately server hop once the "I'm dying of starvation" messages popped up. Same situation on every server i enter.

Zombie respawn on the other hand works just fine. Eventhough the villages are completely cleared from food, mellee weapons or anything useful, my poor character encounters plenty zombies.

I have noticed this as well. Right after Server restart, being the first in a town and it being empty. Move to another town...... empty. Starved to death 4 times. Ate all the rotten Food I could to see if that helped starvation? NOPE lol does not feed your hunger the slighest..... which it should! Berries? Forget about them! ALL of them seem poisoned! or my luck is just that bad? It seems like the only place for loot is the airfields/bases. This sucks! hahaha after Server maint. I will go for 5th try.

I'd like it too when food would be more rare, however, if food seems to be gone it is starting to become problematic. My fourth character starved to death last night, it just seems like the radius you can cover from your spawnpoint before you are going to starve is completely cleared from anything useful. Sure, that encourages hunting and fishing, but you can't gather food from animals without a knife, and you need even more items for fishing. So both is no option for fresh spawns that struggle to find anything but shoes and hats.

I'd like it too when food would be more rare, however, if food seems to be gone it is starting to become problematic. My fourth character starved to death last night, it just seems like the radius you can cover from your spawnpoint before you are going to starve is completely cleared from anything useful. Sure, that encourages hunting and fishing, but you can't gather food from animals without a knife, and you need even more items for fishing. So both is no option for fresh spawns that struggle to find anything but shoes and hats.

Yeah i collected me a gasstove, fishging rod and a cooking pot to survive on fish, but haven't found a pond so far :|.Beside north east from Novo' there is a small townwith a pond.

Also it would be nice if you could fish from the docks near the coast. Hunting ain't all of that neither tho'. You might find a pig or a deer once every 2/3 hours. So the hunting aspect isn't going to make you survive any way neither.

Yeah i collected me a gasstove, fishging rod and a cooking pot to survive on fish, but haven't found a pond so far :|.Beside north east from Novo' there is a small townwith a pond.

Also it would be nice if you could fish from the docks near the coast. Hunting ain't all of that neither tho'. You might find a pig or a deer once every 2/3 hours. So the hunting aspect isn't going to make you survive any way neither.

You can fish everywhere you can drink of (swamp, lakes, creek, ponds).

I tried it 2 times, after fishing for nearly 2h and didn't had anyhting on my hook i decided go back huntin. Finding animals in several regions ain't that hard, it's more like 20/30 minutes (my experience).

Have fun hunting/fishing or harvesting (soon).

Berries and apples.  Takes time, but you can survive that way until you find some food.  No need to starve.

Berries and apples.  Takes time, but you can survive that way until you find some food.  No need to starve.

I have noticed that if you spam "f" while searching you can do more attempts than just the original..... I am unsure if they are Aware of this bug...... use it while you can!