SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.46 Discussion

1.) they have warnings on EXP

2.) wrong section if u talkin about stableservers

3.) see 1.

I just left one of the Experimental testing servers, and found that at the Vybor Military base, someone had found a way to make the loot continously spawn, even while there were three of us there. The green military building had stuff piled on the bed, and we found three 1911 engraved pistols. There was stuff actively spawning while we were in the same building - and there were five or six new items on the beds in the time we were there.

After walking outside, someone had been moving the insane amount of loot, and had actually made loads of piles - one for weapons, food, shoes, backpacks etc etc. It is the most loot I have ever seen in one place, and someone has either found a way to abuse the new mechanic, or the game has simply bugged and not recognised that it needs to stop spawning. Both of the barracks were exactly the same, loot piled high on every bed.

Some screenshots, trimmed down for forum size:

1: The massive stack of loot at the wall

iFORTqal.jpg

2. This was the Pile of guns in the loot. For perspective, look at the scroll bar on the left , and how much more there was to scroll through:

kUnTn1Rl.jpg

• Like 2

Another reason why I dislike loot re-spawning. Should have died off with the mod.

• Like 1

/\ What's with your guys comments? It *is* experimental ya know.

On a side note OP, you should have opened up a gun shop.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 6

TheCourierVX just posted this in Experimental discussion. ;)

2aj7y43.jpg

And an album posted on /r/dayz

http://imgur.com/a/aQ7QP

Discussion there seems to indicate it only happening in certain buildings (jail etc)

• Like 4

-snip-

Looks like the it's in the same place, but a different server. I wonder what is causing this.

2aj7y43.jpg

And an album posted on /r/dayz

http://imgur.com/a/aQ7QP

Discussion there seems to indicate it only happening in certain buildings (jail etc)

this is madness

Honestly it feels like the loot respawn in the mod. I remember playing Namalsk 2017 with a random rag tag group of fellas. 5 of us total, all complete strangers that helped each other. Anyway we were at the A2 object, inside the bunker, and we were taking all the items, trash loot, empty cans and what-not, and were piling it in a huge pile near the ladder to get in and out of said bunker. And then waited while the loot was respawning, and doing this again till everyone had a weapon, ammo, food and water.

Anyway this is just temporary. Have fun while testing the features and provide feedback!!

• Like 1

Well, that explains why any time I have been on experimental there has been no decent loot anywhere...lol

Appears to me they need to work on loot economy early

• Like 1

The developers are surely aware of this issue, the main reason being that they didn't want to discuss the mechanics of loot respawning to see how players naturally react to it.   I recall Eugen on reddit saying those exact words and they want to gauge how things would behave and would adjust the mechanics accordingly.  Don't worry, this is the very reason for having the experimental branch.

• Like 1

Well, I just logged out of DayZ Southwest 0-4 Experimental Hardcore and a couple of players were doing this exact relocation of loot to force respawns at Veresnik Military Base.   I was wondering why I started to lag when I approached the compound,   Once I saw the scene I was heart-broken.   Headed to Green Mountain and someone was doing it there, but I didn't see anyone there.   With the persistence of items, it could have been an old spot for these same players.

Just had a look at the respawn madness myself with Green Mountain. Couldn't replicate it at Balota but was amazed to see items respawning right in front of my eyes at times that I didn't need to take it away any distance. Seeing as the respawn seems to be working ok down in Balota (I emptied the jail nearest to Cherno and had taken the loot a good distance away, when I came back it was still empty) as far as doing it when you're still there goes anyway, I find it a bit weird that the same building elsewhere has such an issue.

At least now my mind can settle on how a wool coat appeared in front of my eyes when I lifted a can of beans in Vybor on Friday though.

Edit: Funny thing is with my experiment to see it with my own eyes, I lost a bunch of stuff I had as the server reset just before I was about to pick up my old gun and move on. Hopefully I can get back onto the server when it stops being a restarting pain and get it back before someone else takes it!

Edited by Racket

Did people honestly expect the first iteration of loot respawn on the experimental branch to be flawless immediately? It's pretty funny to see all the ways people are actively trying to break this build. It's honestly a good thing because it shows the devs what they need to fix quicker.

• Like 4

Appears to me they need to work on loot economy early

No? You really think so?

Haven't really experienced this but it's better than every town for 4km of spawning being depressingly empty

Did people honestly expect the first iteration of loot respawn on the experimental branch to be flawless immediately? It's pretty funny to see all the ways people are actively trying to break this build. It's honestly a good thing because it shows the devs what they need to fix quicker.

Part of testing is breaking things. The devs might not think to intentionally break their own game in a specific way, which is why open testing is often a great commodity. If we broke it you can be damn well sure stable will.

I really hope they have a better plan for loot respawns....

as it stands now isolated areas give the best loot cause the loot respawns are very predictable meanwhile u can hit up all of NWAF and find just about nothing since spawns are so spread out and overlap with some civilian areas. This makes large cities horrible to loot cause you have to spend a ton of time searching since the new loot can spawn in almost any of the buildings

i recommend the following:

1. Loot should only spawn to replace a similar category of loot.

2. Respawns should take at least an hour to encourage people to move around

3. Loot respawns should be segmented by building/object they spawn in not by grid. This way if someone cleans out a house the loot will respawn in the house they looted in an hour or so...

Even at Vybor the back of the pickup truck by the farm has about 5-6 backpacks plus a ton of other things...

The isolated areas can be exploited by moving gear outside a building and then waiting for the loot to respawn....

I have just been camping vybor as a result and letting some poor saps loot for me and then killing them....people are way to gaga over the loot.

I only ran into another player with such murderous intents as me and he had a horrible spot easy to spot him.

In other news the crashed tanks now spawn military gear 

Finally this whole limit the amount of servers we can play on is fine but there is not a single US server I can play on most of the day.....to top it off I am in CA and most the servers I see that are turned on for US are like east coast...please have mercy activate a few more servers I dont like playing on singapore servers with 350 ping 

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

The loot respawn is ridiculous at the moment. You could literally gear up at a barn in the middle of the forrest... I think thats the reason why I ran into two fully geared bored kids !10! minutes after the servers were up. Being shot in the legs and getting handcuffed sucks if you want to try out stuff.

But luckily I always carry a note for my murders telling them how much they suck  :lol: .

I assume they are testing how much loot a server can handle before it gets unsteady, because this can't be the final mechanic. Loot spawning right under your nose doesn't feel right.

• Like 1

Well, this subject is a double-edged sword if I ever saw one.

On first glance, we have a  massive surplus of lootable items, weapons, food, clothing, what have you, due to abuse of the extremely simple loot respawning.

On the other hand, we have locations where no loot spawns at all, due to persistent loot keeping in the trash (rotten fruit, ruined items, bambi gear etc.),

This does not encourage any form of cooperative behaviour between strangers, but merely makes every single encounter a loot piñata, or a possible threat to your cycling endeavours. Too lazy to cycle? Let someone else do it and kill people to gain better loot, time and time and time again. No loot spawning/not the right loot spawning? Cycle the life out of the building.

The reverse-edge of the sword is the alternative: extremely scarce loot. The competition would kill all player-to-player communication by default, and force the loot piñata syndrome to blow out of proportion.

Anti-abuse emechanics would be a bonus, player-based tracking of who looted in the past 15 minutes, despawning player-dropped loot, basically just making the mechanics harder to abuse.

But what about military loot? What about the treasure troves? Let them be, let players decide what they wish to do. Possibly, giving server administrators "Game Master"-like properties, being able to set up safezones, NPCs, regulate the server to a large degree based upon the needs and wishes of the server population to promote good gameplay and wellbeing of the server.

I have no idea, but the KOS-mentality, the lootless locations, the need to cycle, cycling ruining the loot economy, basically all of this really ticks me off and deducts from the playability and functionality of the game itself.

Edited by JacqueCustodian

Loot respawn doesn't seem to be activated on experimental. Been to the places where it used to work well, but nothing respawned when you picked up items or waited for a while. We'll see if they re-introduce it in a future patch/fix for experimental. (wondering if it works if it's the same on stable since it's the 0.47 build...)

Edit: It works, only differently.

Edited by Odin Lowe

/\ What's with your guys comments? It *is* experimental ya know.

Indeed it is experimental. And this sort of thing is to be expected. At least I do expect them. 

However it would help to know what exactly it is they are experimenting with in current build. It would go a long way to provide some more accurate feedback as to what may be wrong when we players experience them. I really can't see how this "find five errors" game, where we have to guess not only what the bugs are, but also what the changes from from the previous versions are, is helpful at all. I am not asking for a complete change log, just a hint concerning which major feature we are expected to test out in exp.

Something is obviously very wrong with loot, but since we don't know what they have been doing with loot in this build, "something wrong" is currently close to the best description we can give as test players. Not very informative I should think.

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that a player bubble that prevents the respawn until all players are out of an area will fix this. Its interesting to see how this all develops through experimental though :)