stielhandgranate

Ammo Calibration : Poll & Discussion

Do you care if ingame weapons fire the correct ammo or not?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care if ingame weapons fire the correct ammo or not?

• Yes, give all guns the correct ammo
    • No, it does not particularly matter

Dude you are not making any sense I'm affraid.

Maybe you are gunphobic, then you should probably play Sims or some other peacefull game.

Yeah, I'm 'gunphobic' I kind of go for grenades and knives, given the choice.

beanie hat

Jesus this thread is still going.

This clearly shows how important realism and authenticity is to the community.

To a small but extremely loud minority.  Again, as I stated earlier in this thread I want DayZ to kick my ass, make me regret every action I take, but I don't need every fucking gun in the world for that to happen.  Wait till your precious mods come out and you can make DayZ the dream army sim you want it to be.

• Like 2

Jesus this thread is still going.

This clearly shows how important realism and authenticity is to the community.

That, or maybe some trolls will just not let it go and keep on arguing as why the game should have preferably only 1 caliber for everything including hatchet.

Oh well, trolls be trolling....

• Like 1

Regardless. It seems like the poll, as useless as it is; shows that in general the consensus is that players want the weapons to fire their correct ammo.

• Like 1

To quote Torchia-

"So if we add a Makarov pistol, its going to simply fire 9mmP instead 9mmM. If we add an AK74, it'll fire 5.56mm, not 5.45mm. Thats why I haven't added those in. Those of us who are real gun nuts would revolt (but I have a feeling the wider community dosn't give a crap as long as it looks cool  :) )"

This is Bohemia, a company who develops realistic games. And a prominent member of the DayZ development team has come right out and said "We're going to be lazy with weapons, because we think people don't care".

What the actual fuck?

I'm usually pretty supportive of the team, but this seems rather disturbing. Also- AK-74 is my favorite gun ever, so I am a bit biased. If they don't add it, I will be vocal. Same with the Makarov.

Are you okay with this? Yes? No? Why?

• Like 7

I would like to see the realistic types of ammo etc

• Like 1

I'm disappointed, but as long as they add the M82/M107/Pink Car, I will forgive them. :D

Edited by DJ SGTHornet

No, but not because "I want realism" or "I like the AK-74M."

More calibers means a more granular loot table. It also means that the developers can actually make their weapons behave differently, thus adding variety to the experience. We don't need every caliber, but we do need more.

That is pragmatism. What Torchia is describing, isn't pragmatic per-se, it's just limited.

Edited by Katana67

I personally believe the issue they are having is from what the players demand.  Everyone wants fast loot and don't want to work for it so by adding more different ammo types it makes the scavenging that much harder which is what he is describing that the playerbase don't want.  They just want it and want it now because it looks cool but don't want to work for having to acquire different ammo types.

I really hope they make a complete 180 on their stance against realism and authenticity.

I still think

• 7.62x54r
  • .32 acp
  • 9x18 makarov
  • 9x39
  • 5.45x39

Are all critical calibers in the game. I mean how could have you have a game set in a Post Soviet Country without an Ak74, makarov, vz61, and a vss

I personally believe the issue they are having is from what the players demand.  Everyone wants fast loot and don't want to work for it so by adding more different ammo types it makes the scavenging that much harder which is what he is describing that the playerbase don't want.  They just want it and want it now because it looks cool but don't want to work for having to acquire different ammo types.

From another thread .

I know everyone will hate me, but I hope the PM-63 will fire 9x19mm rounds. I don't have the time to play this game all day, and if there are too many calibres, I just won't have the time to find the necessary gun and ammunition. I know realism is all and good, but I don't live in the dayz world 24/7, I play it as a game now and then. I want to be able to loot within hours, not days. 

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1

I really hope they make a complete 180 on their stance against realism and authenticity.

I still think

• 7.62x54r
  • .32 acp
  • 9x18 makarov
  • 9x39
  • 5.45x39

Are all critical calibers in the game. I mean how could have you have a game set in a Post Soviet Country without an Ak74, makarov, vz61, and a vss

I described why.  The players want those but they don't want to have to work towards finding the right caliber.  I fear the devs may be taking the lazy route and it's going to up to the playerbase to make the proper mods to make the game right.

Isn't difficult and varied loot a good thing? I know that most of the playerbase want an easy game...but I thought we were striving for a hardcore experience? Isn't it essential to that experience that you find things you don't before things you do? Not just stumble into whatever you want on a dime?

• Like 4

Isn't difficult and varied loot a good thing? I know that most of the playerbase want an easy game...but I thought we were striving for a hardcore experience? Isn't it essential to that experience that you find things you don't before things you do? Not just stumble into whatever you want on a dime?

Anyone speaking for anyone other than themselves (i.e. the community, playerbase, majority, etc.) is full of absolute shit unless they're citing an actual aggregate. And even then, I wouldn't trust any aggregate data from any of the typical vents (i.e. Reddit, DayZ forum, Twitter, etc.)

I'm willing to guess that the "majority" of players could care less, so long as they get a coherent/decent/worthwhile experience... be it forgiving or unforgiving.

• Like 3

I think we are going in that direction. I usually carry ammo, mags and attachments with me long before I am finding AKM.

I'd kill for a way to voice our disappointment without having to resort to Reddit. It's quite an unusual that we have suggestions, yet no soul attached to the development team would even bother with the suggestions.

(They might, correct me if I wrong, but I feel like they want nothing to do with forums. Something about that upvote/downvote bullshittery. Apology for the parenthetical-ness of my posts. Just how I roll B) )

• Like 3

To heck with extra calibers and extra guns - why can't I take my riffle and hit someone with it or use a bayonet? Talk about realism, that's what should be addressed.

• I should be able to hit someone with the butt of my riffle to knock them down and then shoot them. 
  • I should also be able to swing my riffle like a baseball bat and hit someone (this may have a high chance to ruin the gun, but so be it, if it's empty I'd rather be able to swing it rather than have it be dead weight useless!).
  • I should be able to use my bayonet and stab someone, should work like a knife but have far greater range.

Guns should be made fully usable as they would in combat before adding new ones.

• Like 4

I'd kill for a way to voice our disappointment without having to resort to Reddit. It's quite an unusual that we have suggestions, yet no soul attached to the development team would even bother with the suggestions.

(They might, correct me if I wrong, but I feel like they want nothing to do with forums. Something about that upvote/downvote bullshittery. Apology for the parenthetical-ness of my posts. Just how I roll B) )

You are correct. They want nothing to do with the forums. /r/dayz and Twitter is infested by legions of fanboys and that is all the devs want to see and interact with.

To heck with extra calibers and extra guns - why can't I take my riffle and hit someone with it or use a bayonet? Talk about realism, that's what should be addressed.

• I should be able to hit someone with the butt of my riffle to knock them down and then shoot them. 
  • I should also be able to swing my riffle like a baseball bat and hit someone (this may have a high chance to ruin the gun, but so be it, if it's empty I'd rather be able to swing it rather than have it be dead weight useless!).
  • I should be able to use my bayonet and stab someone, should work like a knife but have far greater range.

Guns should be made fully usable as they would in combat before adding new ones.

Not really relevant to the subject here. Functional bayonet is planned, proper ammo calibers is not.

It's about a design choice, not the speed or order of development.

nything that simplifies the game and makes it easier to get  a working weapon is not what i wanted and expected from dayz sa

Game is being watered down, which is extremely surprising, since we are talking about DayZ. Game that, last I checked, wasn't meant for the casual crowd. 

Seeing how Rocket himself stated, that he wants to have firearms portrayed in an authentic fashion, these design choices just don't make a lot of sense.

Edited by ParanoidMoron

Seeing how Rocket himself stated, that he wants to have firearms portrayed in an authentic fashion, these design choices just don't make a lot of sense.

They sorta thew that out the window when they adopted the accessory and dispersion mechanics.

They sorta thew that out the window when they adopted the accessory and dispersion mechanics.

I still hope that'll be fixed. Which it probably won't :( Farewell realism, YAY COD/BF style crap...

Edited by ParanoidMoron

To quote Torchia-

"So if we add a Makarov pistol, its going to simply fire 9mmP instead 9mmM. If we add an AK74, it'll fire 5.56mm, not 5.45mm. Thats why I haven't added those in. Those of us who are real gun nuts would revolt (but I have a feeling the wider community dosn't give a crap as long as it looks cool  :) )"

This is Bohemia, a company who develops realistic games. And a prominent member of the DayZ development team has come right out and said "We're going to be lazy with weapons, because we think people don't care".

What the actual fuck?

I'm usually pretty supportive of the team, but this seems rather disturbing. Also- AK-74 is my favorite gun ever, so I am a bit biased. If they don't add it, I will be vocal. Same with the Makarov.

Are you okay with this? Yes? No? Why?

I feel that this is very lazy development and SHOULD be rectified by the right types of ammo immediately because GOD FUCKING KNOWS ppl want a realistic infection simulation......