Beard3d_Warr1or

What Broke You?

It finally happened. After only 34 hours, this game, and the people who play it, finally broke me.

I tried to be the good guy. I bandaged strangers who I had no reason to bandage. I've handed out med kits and food to those who asked for it. And I never shot anyone unless they fired first. But too many hours have been wasted painstakingly gathering gear, only to be shot on sight by people that I could have killed first, had I been the type. Well, now I am.

The next time I see you holding a weapon, I'm going to loot it from your digital corpse.

What about you? Are you still a force for good, or have you turned to the ways of the bandit?

I was never "good" but I have no scruples anymore. Saw too much smug, holier-than-thou, self-satisfied anti-KoS talk on Reddit a few months ago, automatic backlash...

• Like 9

I think this happens to most people along the way.

I played about 100 hours and I'm still mostly on the good side and don't kill without reason.

I killed maybe 10-20 people, can't tell how many exactly, and most of the times I killed them because they shot at me or my friend first.

I think about 3 or 4 times I killed someone who didn't deserve it, but I did it to get an advantage in a specific situation. So I'm not always a good guy.

Stay strong and don't fall completely for the dark side.

I love to talk to strangers and do a little trading.

Usually on hardcore servers I find more guys who don't KOS. But there are, of course, killers there, too.

There are 2 reasons people start playing: Survival and PvP. Those that enter for survival often have their ideals shattered by a bullet/fist/blade/bug. 

I for one have never changed styles from a death. But I have from prejudice, as similarly and previously stated by Gews above. 

• Like 3

100 plus hours and still let my presence be known first. Either by a shot across their bow or a hello. Then gauge their reaction. They scope up, run and hide or don't respond by text or chat then I'm suspicious or opening fire.

I won't shoot you in the back or front without you knowing I'm around. I've had the "you are dead" screen pop up randomly for no reason too many times!

wow, that sucks man sorry. i always say im friendly if i have a weapons in my hands its because i am out of space to put it....

• Like 1

what is "force for good" tho? i dont kos, but im not sure of that makes me "good", i just make decisions quickly if i need to, killing a player isnt always the correct option for keeping yourself alive. there are other ways to interact

Dude, I'm at 520 hours... This game has soo much more work to be done, and with the time i've played I really cant imagine doing anything else in the game. Just collecting loot can be frustrating, and then when go for pvp, you die from exploits or bugs or weapons that handle like my old grandpa in his Cadillac. It's absolutely horrible. Sure, you can loot a fresh server and then look for p2p interaction, maybe a little pvp or hunt bandits.. There are so many cool things that are there, but they are so horribly unpolished. 520 hours in, so you know I have had my fun, but i think i need a few more things before i play more than a few minutes before closing out of boredom

• Like 1

I don't get why people insist on using this logic. "Well, I'm tired of getting shot so I'm going to KoS from now on"

Killing everyone you see defeats the purpose of the game. Encountering someone and seeing where it goes or how it turns out is one of the funnest parts of this game.

I know getting shot on sight is annoying. It happens. I've been KoS'd more times than I can count. At 250+ hours, it gets old. But having those encounters with strangers in such an environment is Adrenalin pumping. And whenever you help someone who isn't a cunt, you always feel good about it. Don't get me wrong, I do some banditry from time to time. But there's a difference between fucking with someone, taking their shit and leaving them handcuffed in the Police Station and killing them as soon as you see them. One is hilarious and funny for both sides. The other is being a dickhead.

I get having to shoot hostiles at a distance. It's usually easy to tell by their clothing. But KoSing because you got KoS'd is dumb.

• Like 2

I never played the game friendly. When I play video games, I like to take control and smash any opposition. 

My player interactions are pretty much shooting others or capturing and interrogating them.  Having friends makes playing the game so much easier because of medical help and area coverage. 

Killing everyone you see is the only way to play. I don't care about ruined gear because I have more than enough already.

The whiney comments and crying always make me laugh.

Even with the implementation of other gameplay features i'll still play this way!

#kos4lyf

• Like 1

I've clocked up 250 hours and I'm still friendly most of the time. Me and my mate have become really cautious and because of that, we can usually find/kill bandits without dying. Most of the time we just survive and pack really light because the less items = less damage taken and also less items = less upset when we die haha. You've just got to understand that in the end, the game is about dying.

yeah.

my first 50 hours of dayz sa i also was "the friendly guy".  never shootin anyone,...

Killing everyone you see is the only way to play. I don't care about ruined gear because I have more than enough already.

The whiney comments and crying always make me laugh.

Even with the implementation of other gameplay features i'll still play this way!

#kos4lyf

No.. It's not the only way to play. It's just the only way you're able to play because you're bad. Sorry, but truth needs to be said.

It takes skill to hold someone up.

It takes skill to talk to someone and still control the situation and have no fear of getting shot.

When you get tired of playing this game like it's deathmatch, you'll either go back to another FPS, or you'll get good enough where you can have player interactions without shooting people. Furthermore, in my 500+ hours of playing DayZ Standalone and >1000 hours of playing DayZ mod, I've only ever met 1-2 bandits that were actually good players.. as in, they could go better than 50/50 vs me.

• Like 4

No.. It's not the only way to play. It's just the only way you're able to play because you're bad. Sorry, but truth needs to be said.

It takes skill to hold someone up.

It takes skill to talk to someone and still control the situation and have no fear of getting shot.

When you get tired of playing this game like it's deathmatch, you'll either go back to another FPS, or you'll get good enough where you can have player interactions without shooting people. Furthermore, in my 500+ hours of playing DayZ Standalone and >1000 hours of playing DayZ mod, I've only ever met 1-2 bandits that were actually good players.. as in, they could go better than 50/50 vs me.

Don't dictate to me how I should experience dayz, if you want to play happy campers then you're free to do so.

Dayz has always been about pvp, even in the mod days. Everything else is just an added extra.

Forum rules dictate that any other playstyle than 'hero blah blah zzzzzzz' makes you a bad player

Surprised you didn't accuse me of being a COD kid or something equally as original lol.

#dizpersionz

Edited by TheWanderingMan

Don't dictate to me how I should experience dayz, if you want to play happy campers then you're free to do so.

Dayz has always been about pvp, even in the mod days. Everything else is just an added extra.

Surprised you didn't call me a COD kid or something equally as original.

#dizpersionz

Maybe you should re-read my post. I didn't say anything about how you SHOULD play the game. I said there are OTHER ways to play the game and interacting with players takes more skill than putting your crosshair over them and pressing mouse1.

• Like 1

There are good people in Standalone? 

I thought the Modern Hero was a myth, a Superstition, something to be seen in an X-Files styled view 

• Like 1

There are good people in Standalone? 

I thought the Modern Hero was a myth, a Superstition, something to be seen in an X-Files styled view 

People's idea of being a hero in 2014 is giving a 'like' to cancer research page on FB.

Edited by TheWanderingMan
  • Like 1

I don't get why people insist on using this logic. "Well, I'm tired of getting shot so I'm going to KoS from now on"

Killing everyone you see defeats the purpose of the game. Encountering someone and seeing where it goes or how it turns out is one of the funnest parts of this game.

I can only speak for myself but positive, non-violent encounters are rare for me in DayZ. After getting shot in the face on too many occasions I am more willing to err on the side of caution and put a bullet in the face of anyone that points a weapon at me. The reasoning for this is actually explained quite well through game theory. In an asymmetric game that places such a strong emphasis on staying alive and keeping gear (i.e. a random DayZ encounter) the rewards for KoSing greatly outweigh any benefits from a friendly encounter. Players, more often than not, the path of least resistance and greatest reward.

I know getting shot on sight is annoying. It happens. I've been KoS'd more times than I can count. At 250+ hours, it gets old. But having those encounters with strangers in such an environment is Adrenalin pumping. 

There is nothing adrenaline pumping about running through the forest and then seeing a black screen saying "You are dead."

It finally happened. After only 34 hours, this game, and the people who play it, finally broke me.

I tried to be the good guy. I bandaged strangers who I had no reason to bandage. I've handed out med kits and food to those who asked for it. And I never shot anyone unless they fired first. But too many hours have been wasted painstakingly gathering gear, only to be shot on sight by people that I could have killed first, had I been the type. Well, now I am.

The next time I see you holding a weapon, I'm going to loot it from your digital corpse.

What about you? Are you still a force for good, or have you turned to the ways of the bandit?

500 + hours in the mod and almost 300 in the standalone. Not once have i ever "broken" and never will i. Its a horrible, stupid way to play and you wont catch me doing it. Guess i have a stronger will than most.

^It's not real life bro!

Feeling any type of guilt after killing someone in dayz is pretty pathetic.

If you're that much of a beacon of morality then do something to help others in real life.

I have yet to be broken. KoS is too easy and would take all of the fun out of the game for me.

• Like 2