maninthewall

Do you treat players depending on what clothes they wear?

Social experiment  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you treat players depending on what clothes they wear?

• Yes
    • Depends on what he's wielding, and where he is. (Addition details in thread)
    • No. I treat everyone the same.
    • No, I kill everyone.

I try to stay away from camo clothing as much as possible at the moment, and I don't pick up rifles anymore. I run with a backpack, chest holster with a pistol, check shirts, jeans/cargo pants and a baseball cap. I try to look as little a a bandit as possible, if you could look like a bandit. Assault vests are a no-no too.

It seems to be paying out too, I've made a lot of friends recently, but I'm usually in high value cities by the coast. I help people, in hope to make a small change in the community. I don't like the whole KoS thing at all. 

I think people KoS because they are afraid that the other person will do the same, and have yet to meet nice people that will actually group up with them. I think, maybe, doing this will help people realise there are nice people out there.

So what do you do, if you see someone, as I described to look. Would you shoot him on sight, or would you maybe say hi and see what's up, because he doesn't look like the typical "military clothing, KoS bandit"?

Edited by ManInTheWall
  • Like 2

Your poll is  flawed, it doesn't give an option for "No, I don't judge people based on their attire".

I base it off 2 things, What they're wearing, and how they're acting.

If I see someone fully kitted dropping food for a fresh spawn, I'll guess they're a decent person. If I see them trying to cuff them, You can bet your ass I'm going to fist whore them until one of us is dead.

I've worn so many things, I figure everyone else has done the same, I just grab what works. If it's ruined, I'll swap it out.

• Like 1

Your poll is  flawed, it doesn't give an option for "No, I don't judge people based on their attire".

Fixed 

I will shoot everyone with a weapon but I won't shoot anyone wearing anything without a weapon. 

if they come at me in any agressive manner i shot em dont care what there wearing

Their clothing doesn't really say anything about their intentions, so no. I'm friendly, but just like anyone else I wouldn't like to be noticed until I announce my presence, so I look for camo clothing. I'm doing my best to defend myself and to fight with bandits so I look for better firearms too. There are some clothing items I dislike though, like clown masks. I find them silly and have no idea why a sane person would need to wear one. I wouldn't shoot a guy with a mask, but neither would turn my back to him. And to someone not wearing their pants too.

Edited by StopChewingMyLegDude

For the most part, anyone I've seen wearing a UN helmet or beret seems to be helpful, as many people have also posted here as saying, so I generally tend to trust (at least somewhat) anyone wearing these. But then, there are also those out there that seek to fool people by doing the same, so there always has to be a least a small level of distrust based solely on attire; then again, people also try to fool others by being nice at first, then striking when they least expect it, so I guess you really can't trust anyone 100%.

When I first started, it was a mad grab for the military clothing, simply because it had the most inventory space. Now though, since I've learned what and how to prioritize what I need, I realized none of that gear is needed.

I like simple clothing now and prefer to make my own pack (sticks+ rope+burlap sac). I carry a sawed off (always in my pack) an axe and a pistol, thats all I need...but on topic: I don't shoot first because that kit'ed out person might look like that for more space.

• Like 1

I do judge by clothing. Biggest thing I look for though is masks and hat type. The practicals who are 50/50 friendly/kos usually wear the most practical gear, i.e. Ballistic helmet, high slotted clothes and the like. Others wear what they think they might wear in real life. The KoSers though go for rediculous looks though, masks, gas masks, full TTSKO. Personally, I'm in the military and I like the look of military gear, so I wear it.

• Like 1

What you're wearing doesn't matter to me. Most of it will be ruined anyways once i'm finished with you. ;)

• Like 2

I have full TTsKO and a vest with a hunting pack, but a UN helmet. No mask - not even sunglasses since I want to keep my face open. Judgment for me is based on context. Full kit and skulking around? You bet I'll judge and watch you. If they look like a freshspawn, I'm not too worried.

Edited by TheEvanCat

It depends on the situation. If you're running around in your pants though I'm more inclined to kneecap you though, no idea why.

I could not give a dead chihuahua's foreskin about what other players wear.

Threats get my lead.

Non-threats get to live.

• Like 1

it all comes down to the initial reaction i get , once iv sneaked up behind them and whispered in direct chat "Don't........ Moooooooove......" in a really husky yet intense voice. if they move they meet mr whacky, the axe. I never shot on site, as it wastes my much needed emergency caught off guard defense ammo. i always use melee, plus melee gives you the added advantage of seeming less threatening, i like to keep stupid melee on my back like baseball bat or crowbar for show, then have a fireaxe (spraypainted blackj naturally) in the bag hotkeyed. im pretty unfriendly now on dayz, mainly after my first week or so dismal player interactions and after comiong back to the forum to see the incessant amount of whining the "community" that came when standalone released make about all the alpha placeholder mechanice and stuff. I HATE THEM AND THEIR MOANING and their stupid misunderstanding of this game being incomplete

so i slap people with my axe in general unless they make me laugh or sound english when i whisper to them.

the whispering tends to work, i think safe people find it almost motherly :P

I voted "Option B" but I'll just say this: I treat everyone situation on a case-by-case basis. There are a number of different appearance factors, behavior factors, the factor of location, whether or not they communicate, how they communicate, etc.

Everyone dies. I don't care what you are wearing, I am going to shoot you. I may die in the process but I shoot everyone with impunity.

• Like 1

No.

I think its foolish to attempt to make a judgement on a player simply based on their in game attire. The only clear way to judge a player is talking to them via mic.. secondary is watching them for long periods of time without their knowledge. 

Do you treat players depending on what clothes they wear?

No, I don't treat anyone but my wife. (:

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 2

I've come to learn that if anyone is wearing a payday mask, they're up to no good. Every time it's an M4 kiddy or a dickhead angsty teen. EVERY TIME. So I learned to just KoS those sorts.

I always give unarmed people a chance, though. It usually turns out badly but I'll give them a chance.

Anything beyond those two, it's a chance. Could be a good guy, could be a cunt. It's a game of thrones chance.

Edited by BiGoDeViN
  • Like 1

I've come to learn that if anyone is wearing a payday mask, they're up to no good. Every time it's an M4 kiddy or a dickhead angsty teen. EVERY TIME. So I learned to just KoS those sorts.

I always give unarmed people a chance, though. It usually turns out badly but I'll give them a chance.

Anything beyond those two, it's a chance. Could be a good guy, could be a cunt. It's a game of thrones chance.

I see what you struck through there...

I will judge people for wearing Payday masks and no pants. I'll always avoid a fully-geared guy if it's an option.

If I know someone has detected me, I'll talk to them. Since I'm almost 30, I have the benefit of sounding like a reasonable human being, and not a high-pitched KoS kiddie. A lot of times, it has worked out for me. But just as I always try to sound sane and non-threatening, I listen to other players voices as well. There's a lot you can reasonably assume about a person from what their voice sounds like.

I think I've got a good idea of what a treacherous douchebag sounds like, and if your voice gives me that gut feeling, I'll up and vanish on you.

• Like 1