taco86

Why does the cross bow do more damage than the m4?

The thing about bullets is, that they cause a way bigger secondary damage than a bolt does. The kinetic energy of the bullet is transferred directly into the targets body, causing devastating damage. It's not the bullet that is lethal, it's the shockwave caused by the impact that damages vital organs.

Good post wayze, I just wanted to nit pick this particular point.  A bullet is certainly very lethal, and it will destroy pretty much anything within your body that it comes into contact with.  Bullets kill by a combination of direct destruction via the bullet itself, as well as secondary via massive KE transfer and tissue expansion.  What's so deadly about the energy transfer is the rate at which it happens.  Essentially there is a very short impulse which results in very high G forces within the tissue surrounding the direct wound channel.  Most tissues cannot withstand anything close to this resulting in massive damage well beyond the permanent wound cavity, which can also be very large...

Btw, that video is very upsetting.  I know it's off topic, but public servants should not be murdering those that they are tasked to protect...  Armed forces around the world have been heavily restricted in their use of force.  Sure would be nice if the "good guys" aka cops played by the same rules...  The lack of "cannot fire until fired upon" restrictions is a bit insane if you ask me.

Edited by taco86
  • Like 1

OK I'm going back into hiding...

Dev team and rocket if you are reading this, please don't give up on your design idea of using your survival experience to create this game, we may be more quiet but there are a lot of us who support what you stand for as like minded people. It will be a benefit to the others here in learning adaptation skills even if they resist it, specially if they play games like this and aspire to move into relative careers at some point in their life.

I will continue on with my suggestion threads when I find time

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 2

snip

Yup after the first shot he was still alive but incapacitated on the floor helpless slowly bleeding out.

Okay, but now what happens when the silencers start working on guns? There would be no reason to use a crossbow if it didnt hold a respective level of PvP power.

Also, a silenced gun will not always be truly silent. In addition to the suppressor you need to be using subsonic(low speed) ammo. If subsonic ammo is being used then you're going to have heavy bullet drop at close enough ranges to make your combat effectiveness go way down.  And if you decide to load up with regular supersonic ammo then you're still going to have the sonic boom  from the bullet after it leaves the barrel. In that case the crossbow will still be much more quiet. 

To sum up, with proper implementation all weapons will have their niches. I still believe the crossbow niche will be primarily for eliminating zombies and for hunting. 

Also, a silenced gun will not always be truly silent.

IRL silencers are still quite loud as most people dont really realize.

I know lol.

To sum up, with proper implementation all weapons will have their niches. I still believe the crossbow niche will be primarily for eliminating zombies and for hunting. 

That is much agreed upon my friend. Hunting is going to be SICK in this game.

It's neat to see how many physicists, surgeons, and ballistics experts we have here on the forums...

I know lol.

That is much agreed upon my friend. Hunting is going to be SICK in this game.

Lower your expectations man.

Lower your expectations man.

Ive seen the game, I don't mean superior to other games with hunting I just love the fact that Ill be able to go hunting and practice aim on something other than zombies.

Ive seen the game, I don't mean superior to other games with hunting I just love the fact that Ill be able to go hunting and practice aim on something other than zombies.

I doubt it will ever come even close to real life hunting.

There will be no stalk there will be having to travel and stalk with the wind to your face, no having the animal catch wind of you and then jetting off like a crazy.

Hunting in dayz will just be random food sources in the woods that walk around not giving a shit that you are there.

Thats all it will be. Just food in the woods.

IRL silencers are still quite loud as most people dont really realize 

We have gotten them down to where its the same muffled sound of someone clapping with gloves. But then again those are the nice ones for Spec Ops.

Hunting in dayz will just be random food sources in the woods that walk around not giving a shit that you are there.

Thats all it will be. Just food in the woods.

Man, I really hope they make the animals smarter than that.

It's neat to see how many physicists, surgeons, and ballistics experts we have here on the forums...

Since when is that needed for the usage of Google?

Actually, the medula oblangata makes death instantaneous, meaning ZERO movement after its destroyed. Thats why Secret Service snipers aim.for that, the possible jerking and spasms of the body wont pull the trigger or detnator

Which doesn't help when said detonator is of the "dead man switch" style.

As for silencers, frankly I'm not even sure that it would be quiet enough to avoid Zed detection, you want to avoid alerting zeds directly around you, and even with silencers your gun is still going to rattle in a very audible way.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

Cmon dude absolutely people would play it.

The whole reason people even bother playing dayz over other zombie games is the realism and the mil sim aspects of it.

without realism this game would just be any other boring zombie game.

Realism and mil sim aspects is what makes dayz different.

It has 3rd person view. That alone throws the whole "realistic milsim" aspect out the window.

Edited by myshl0ng
  • Like 1

It has 3rd person view. That alone throws the whole "realistic milsim" aspect out the window.

Doesn't really matter though. I know you didn't buy DayZ because you wanted an unrealistic game.

I didn't go through all the pages but it seems that only reasonable post within 5 pages is ignored. They cause different damage. A broadhead hit can cause you to bleed to death in seconds. It isn't that much kinetic energy that kills. Especially for big games. Bluntheads are for killing small game by shock from impact.

Getting a breadhead shot into your chest from crossbow would kill you quickly. About as fast as a 5.56 bullet if both are shot into vital area. From close range it wouldn't make much difference. Damage calculated in dayz is so basic and wrong that I wouldn't be surprised if it was impossible to implement realistic danage from different weapon shots.

As for your question why it is like it is in dayz? No idea. The ballistics seems to be messed up for all the weaponry.

• Like 1

Doesn't really matter though. I know you didn't buy DayZ because you wanted an unrealistic game.

Yeah, wanted a zombie survival game. Pretty much got it. Realism can suck it.

I'd hardly call it childsplay, a deer runs between 5-200 meters (I've seen deer run the same distance when being shot using .308 Win and hitting the same areas - now I've never seen a deer being shot with a broadhead in person, that's just figures from people I know that are hunting with bows) after being shot with a broadhead if it is in a vital area. There is a reason why some people hunt using bows/crossbows and broadheads (well I don't think it's legal anywhere to hunt with a field tip) and it's not because it's ineffective. The upside of using firearms is the fact that you have a higher rate of fire, reloading time, you're able to shoot long distances and still kill.

With that said, it could be because the crossbow is new and it hasn't been tuned yet and it's probably better to nerf something than to buff it, or it could be that it is trying to compensate for rate of fire/reload speed, or any other reason really or they just realised that broadheads are lethal. I don't think anyone but the devs could answer your question why it does more damage than the M4.

Now to my question: where the f* do they spawn? I've found bolts and I've found stuff to make a bow but alas, no arrows and no crossbow.

People hunt with crossbows because there are different seasons. Hunting with a bow crossbow and rifle just maximizes their chances to get more wild game.

Nobody would choose to hunt with a bow over even a handgun if there were no rules

People hunt with crossbows because there are different seasons. Hunting with a bow crossbow and rifle just maximizes their chances to get more wild game.

Nobody would choose to hunt with a bow over even a handgun if there were no rules

That is a lie.

Some people do it for the added challenge.

• Like 1

Because it is a game, with real like simulation.

No one would use a short ranged, slow crossbow unless it had a perk over semi autos. Aside from being quieter.

That is a lie.

Some people do it for the added challenge.

If they did it for that they would use a compound bow, crossbows require no challenge hence why in my home state Illinois crossbows are only to be used by handicapped people during bow season.

@OP: Balancing I suppose. Unfortunately.

Personally I find the current state absurd. The M4 not only barely does lethal damage with every shot but is incredibly inaccurate for an assault rifle on distances longer than 100-150 meters even if every part is pristine and you have an ACOG. In reality a semi automatic or fully automatic rifle would be everything I want in a postapocalyptic scenario. In DayZ I rather tend to equip both a Mosin and a M4, because the M4 works well at an "SMG" level while the Mosin is the real deal for everything outside of cities. In my opinion they really need to buff the M4 while making ammo much more rare. On a side note they really need to add a 7.62x51 assault rifle.

@OP: Balancing I suppose. Unfortunately.

Personally I find the current state absurd. The M4 not only barely does lethal damage with every shot but is incredibly inaccurate for an assault rifle on distances longer than 100-150 meters even if every part is pristine and you have an ACOG. In reality a semi automatic or fully automatic rifle would be everything I want in a postapocalyptic scenario. In DayZ I rather tend to equip both a Mosin and a M4, because the M4 works well at an "SMG" level while the Mosin is the real deal for everything outside of cities. In my opinion they really need to buff the M4 while making ammo much more rare. On a side note they really need to add a 7.62x51 assault rifle.

Ehhh, choose what you want, but a semi-auto weapon has too many moving parts for my tastes. It all comes down to logistics; when (yes, when, as it will eventually happen) the internal components break, do you know how to / have the materials to make new ones? With a break-open shotgun and black-powder muzzleloaders, I don't have to, as they have far fewer moving parts (in the case of my muzzle-loading rifle and revolver,  about 3 each, one of which is a spring, which can be scavenged from anywhere.) to find/replace/remake.

Ehhh, choose what you want, but a semi-auto weapon has too many moving parts for my tastes. It all comes down to logistics; when (yes, when, as it will eventually happen) the internal components break, do you know how to / have the materials to make new ones? With a break-open shotgun and black-powder muzzleloaders, I don't have to, as they have far fewer moving parts (in the case of my muzzle-loading rifle and revolver,  about 3 each, one of which is a spring, which can be scavenged from anywhere.) to find/replace/remake.

Logistics as well as reliability are whole different scenarios that should be taken into consideration in your choice if you only have one gun. I was talking from a "my favorite weapon to go on a raid when you have a full rack of guns at your base" level. On the other hand while my active time of duty I had a G3 assault rifle that was 50 years old and has served generations of soldiers before that shot with it every week or so. I bet the same applies to an AK or a SCAR. M4 (and M16) on the other hand wouldn't be my choice of an assault rifle for the end of dayz. I think it all comes down to maintenance and a bit of luck that the gun you have aint a lemon and you should be fine with an semi or fully automatic rifle.

Edited by ColdHeat