Starbridge

Perks/skills/professions/stats

Well I think the stat system should be invisible, for instance, if one would search allot of kindling on the ground, he would get slowly better at it, more successful each time, I think this could be the same for everything the player does, this way we can avoid having "skill points" like most fantasy mmo's have and a player actually wants to stay alive, because now the longer he is alive, the more a character is worth, and suicide will be reduced to.

• Like 3

Stats like how many kills, how long you have survived etc. - yes. 

Any form of skills professions etc. - no.

Your character skills should only depend on your own skills, not on how much time you put into something. 

But I see why people need that shit. It's because you're followers, you need someone else to point you towards something. Like the OP said he can't find purpose for himself, so he needs someone to show him a goal.   

To all of you who think the same way, this is not a game for you. In here goal is what you choose it to be. Whether it's to become greatest killer this game has ever known, or to find a group of friends and live peacefully at some far away farm. Not to reach level 10 medic and get all the skills and exp. 

It's people like who ruined FPS games with all the fucking perks, skills and grinding.

Edited by General Zod

So if we change it up and you take Soldier and Primary Firearms.  You start with your better pants, an M4 with a 10 round clip and 10 extra bullets.  With a perk of a little better accuracy with that weapon.

Secondary would start with 1911 and 2 clips of 10 rounds each.  Perk of reloading a little faster.

no, cos everyone would choose this option, and have the ability to run around and kill other newspawns, creating giant firefights in all the spawn points across the map. i like the idea of perks, but there should not be any military perks... but that is just my two cents

I don't agree with faster weapon switches, or anything that gives you and advantage in combat, because everyone would choose that skill tree.

However, I like the rest, as long as skillpoints and levels don't pop up ala COD or BF, just a discreet notification same as 'I am hungry' telling you that you are able to learn new skills.

Maybe replace the combat advantages with weapon/gear/clothing maintenance.

all I can say is that the game needs another dimension. Right now it feels kind of... empty. I know that this is mostly because the game is less than half done, but I also think that unless there is some kind of character growth the game will simply be boring when the game finally reaches full release.

Obviously skill progression is the least radical option, whereas professions and perks are a little too 'gamey' for my taste.

And of course a skill system would have to be implemented properly, because in some games skills just seem like a last second seasoning rather than an integral mechanic.

With the new implementation of fires, hunting, fishing, foraging, mining and forestry, I think that a skill system is more suited to the game than ever. I know for a fact that I would take a lot longer to cut down a tree than my brother who does it in his spare time. After trying it twice I imagine I would be able to do it much faster. Therefore players would be encouraged to practice doing these things while they know they are safe so that they can do it faster if they are worried about nearby zeds. Similar stories with skinning deer, gutting fish, catching fish, collecting berries and so on.

Yay to some kind of a progression that isn't too obvious or too important, nay to classes/stats/other shit. There could be a limit to how much of different things you can learn, reducing the learning pace after reaching that limit, but again, nothing too obvious or too important.

Let me start of with Professions.

Professions...

This is not just any game.

This IS supposed to be a kind of apocalypse survival simulator.

I don't think there should be any perks, addons, classes...

The character is an average of all people capabilities.

About the infinite running: I believe the devs implemented that at the moment just because there are no vehicles at the moment. (This is just a thought, I have nothing against infinite sprint)

About the leveling up...

Again this is not COD for you to unlock perks and upgrades.

You get real XP by playing the game and studying it up with every passing hour of gameplay.

So I have been bothered by DayZ's distinct lack of "Progression" (yes it's in alpha, I know.) and I feel that despite the intended free-form sandbox theme, ALL games do require some form of progression. Otherwise, what separates a newbie from a true survivor. If someone has spent 30 hours as one character, but plays timidly and keeps getting lucky, they are rewarded in the EXACT same way as a Player that occasionally risks it for the possible biscuit. They live another day with little more assurance of survival. Not that I don't agree with the hardcore mindset, But I do believe in a sort of "getting better." I have a few different Ideas for an implementation of this concept, if I may.

Immersion is definitely a must have for DayZ. And the game is already complex enough to make for a somewhat steep learning curve for newbies, so I feel that a tangled skill tree would only serve to frustrate a beginner. Not to mention, you would be throwing in a clashing genre (at least I don't think DayZ is an RPG per-se). But a transparent but noticeable Deftness or familiarity that comes with practice is a welcome addition in my eyes. For example, if you picked a berry, you might not know a huckleberry from a nightshade berry. But read a randomly spawning book and you'll know. Eat one and you'll know in the hour as an alternative (a more rouge-like approach). But examining it would only reveal simple details, not enough to be sure until you read the book or try one. Also, small things that could be considered a skill that would improve beyond just a google knowledge would be the speed at which you vault fences, or the height of things you can vault. Perhaps if/when finite running is a feature, then you could run longer without side effects (perhaps a bonus of adrenaline from nearby gunshots).  As a U.S. Navy Sharpshooter, I can say that more than anything, it is not the ability to hit the target that i see people struggle with, but their ability to recover their sight picture (the location of the ironsight on the target), and with practice, one could recover faster and with less deviation after the recoil. Bandage wounds faster, need food slightly less often, sewing kits repair more/better, craft items at higher qualities, etc.

As for another portion of this topic, Professions. I will start with my feelings on professions, and how they should be defined not by stats, but playstyle. In other words, A player can be well practiced in a "skill" but his "title" is based only on how he is viewed by others, perhaps a few more options for vanity could help this area. Maybe a chef's hat or apron (Think 28 days later XD), rope with bones dangling off it, or even just various stickers that can be stuck on helmets as a decal. Maybe a "pack of stickers" that can be found in houses and markets that can be [right clicked > choose sticker > drag onto helmet] and is missing stickers based on quality (consumed on use). From there it entirely depends on the player's play choice.

Finally, Perks. I personally have nothing against the idea if handled properly. It has the capability of making everyone unique/unpredictable and allow for the game to stay fresh. I now turn to fallout (the original) for a reference here. At character generation one could choose from a handful of "perks" that had downsides for each. This essentially trims the fat so to speak, but could also enliven a stale experience by mixing up the format. Project Zomboid also ran with this system, and honestly I am okay with what it does. basically, you could imagine in DayZ something small traded for something else. Examples: 

Outgoing/Shy - Ratio of proximity speech range versus sneaking sound. e.g. The louder you can yell to others, the more noise you make when you sneak.

Tough skin/Immune - Ratio of "punch resistance" to element resistance (sickness/rain)

Diurnal/Nocturnal - Ability to see and move around (sluggishness) based on time of day

Stash - Emergency (3 sq of anything), Cautious (can store one first aid kit on hip), Dangerous (4 sq of ammo/clips), Reckless (one extra melee equip slot). All have a slight movement/vault speed penalty.

Sidearm - Sacrifices melee slot for one pistol slot.

Green-thumb - Begin with ability to identify plants/better plant bonus (more hunger for food berries, etc) but all ammo types become unknown, and must be tried in a gun to "learn" that type. 

Neat-Freak - all clothes take up one slot, but cannot wear ruined clothes (can still use ruined backpacks)

I could go on for days. But I actually am interested to see what you all think of any of this.

• Like 1

Immersion is definitely a must have for DayZ. And the game is already complex enough to make for a somewhat steep learning curve for newbies, so I feel that a tangled skill tree would only serve to frustrate a beginner. Not to mention, you would be throwing in a clashing genre (at least I don't think DayZ is an RPG per-se). But a transparent but noticeable Deftness or familiarity that comes with practice is a welcome addition in my eyes. For example, if you picked a berry, you might not know a huckleberry from a nightshade berry. But read a randomly spawning book and you'll know. Eat one and you'll know in the hour as an alternative (a more rouge-like approach). But examining it would only reveal simple details, not enough to be sure until you read the book or try one. Also, small things that could be considered a skill that would improve beyond just a google knowledge would be the speed at which you vault fences, or the height of things you can vault. Perhaps if/when finite running is a feature, then you could run longer without side effects (perhaps a bonus of adrenaline from nearby gunshots).  As a U.S. Navy Sharpshooter, I can say that more than anything, it is not the ability to hit the target that i see people struggle with, but their ability to recover their sight picture (the location of the ironsight on the target), and with practice, one could recover faster and with less deviation after the recoil. Bandage wounds faster, need food slightly less often, sewing kits repair more/better, craft items at higher qualities, etc.

Yes to this.

As long as I've been on the forums, I've been saying that an invisible skill system would be great - specifically something that would change how fast your character could do things.  Additionally, there should be a limit to avoid grinding (ie you could only gain so many inviso-skill-points every minute/hour/day etc).

The problems people generally bring up with this system are:

Grinding -- which I don't think is a problem... if you want to get better at shooting, shoot at stuff! -- and I included an anti-grinding system

Balance issues -- which I could give zero craps about

'Dean said they won't have skills' -- which I think this system is a circumvention of what he meant by skills.  There's a big difference between having a skill tree and allowing people to choose their skills vs what I'm talking about.

• Like 2

Professions, classes, skills and the lot are a great yet dangerous idea. I see many great ideas in this thread being pulled from other games and sources. It's new territory though. DayZ SA is a unique animal that presents different challenges, I think. Part fps, part mmo-- where do we draw the lines??

Well, I'm not sure. I know what should probably be avoided though. Any BiS profession/class/talent tree will do more harm than good. Professions and the like should provide a fun, yet trivial, time sink. Any bonuses upon spawning that give you an edge in combat will ruin the system. The major MMOs out there have tried, with little success, in my opinion. Gaming communities will settle on a best-in-slot (profession/ class/ item) and that will be the end of it.

My cautious suggestion is that any kind of boon should not affect combat. Instead, have it help group play in a minor way.

Edited by Parazight

Professions, classes, skills and the lot are a great yet dangerous idea. I see many great ideas in this thread being pulled from other games and sources. It's new territory though. DayZ SA is a unique animal that presents different challenges, I think. Part fps, part mmo-- where do we draw the lines??

Well, I'm not sure. I know what should probably be avoided though. Any BiS profession/class/talent tree will do more harm than good. Professions and the like should provide a fun, yet trivial, time sink. Any bonuses upon spawning that give you an edge in combat will ruin the system. The major MMOs out there have tried, with little success, in my opinion. Gaming communities will settle on a best-in-slot (profession/ class/ item) and that will be the end of it.

My cautious suggestion is that any kind of boon should not affect combat. Instead, have it help group play in a minor way.

I agree, and made sure to specify that any "perk" (I think "Trait" is more accurate) was something that might come in handy down the road, but may immediately impact you negatively. The extra slot or two is great, but it spawns empty. it does not help you find something to fill it. but it immediately affects your movement/vault speed.

And the one thing this game needs desperately is a more blatant need to team up, to throw caution to the wind in order to further one's ability to survive. I like the paranoia and bandit thing, truly! and nothing will kill it. But if everyone had a harder time juggling all the arduous parts of survival alone, then it would be more tempting to team up and overcome. In fact, with a transparent system of speed buffs and minor bonuses, it could even be possible to allow for a slightly dynamic set of "skills" a professional medic/forager who has worked on these tasks could suddenly change tact and begin shooting a bit. But the more focus given to a gun, the craft of healing begins weaken. in other words, your bonuses do not drop MUCH when you stop practicing, but they balance a bit. Like putting beans on the lighter end of the scale. perhaps it should also "level up" slower when you have many other "inviso-points" so that after healing for a while it becomes harder to gain shooting skill points or whatever else.

and really, what "balance loss" is there when a player can reload 15% faster OR bandage his friends 20% faster. not a lot. Not when the rest of the game is on such epic hours-and-days time frames. So what if a battle hardened survivor can outrun and outshoot you. He doesn't know a raspberry cane from a nightshade shrub. YOU DO. Convince him of your talent in tactics or medicine, or that you are just plain noisy enough to be a good distraction. His desire to kill you may be great... But his need may be greater.

I don't wish for my next comment to be interpreted as a reason for classes or skill trees because i am firmly against the idea... A military organizes a squad in a humvee like this: a man trained to fix engines and mechanical dohickeys. a man trained to repair the overall integrity and saftey of the vehicle. a man to shoot, load and clean guns, and a medic to repair his mates. 

Why? It works. now to clarify. If the game is built with it in mind, (not forcing it down your throat with manditory choices) then people will naturally fill a niche. This is a normal social construct. So is chasing someone in the nude with an axe screaming "DOODOOPEEPEE" but more in a stress relief light than an actual survival tactic. as long as the choice exists, every role will be filled by itself.

You start with your better pants, an M4 with a 10 round clip and 10 extra bullets.  With a perk of a little better accuracy with that weapon.

Can is something that I just don't even right now.

Give us the option to spawn with an M4, watch this game go from one of the best ideas in the modern gaming industry to COD: Post-Modern Warfare 17

• Like 2

When you make your character you should be able to pick a professions and a single skill to go with it.  The gear you start with should match up to said profession and skill.  This would be the only thing that sticks with you when you die.  Not that you keep everything that you had, but you will start again with the same profession and skill that you picked before.  If you want a new set of skills then you have to start over, so that means no respecing.  If you make a soldier and ear 6 skills and then find out you want to do a survivalist, then you would have to start over FROM ZERO. 

No, people are not all mentally handicapped, nothing is stopping a soldier from becoming a physicist. All skills should be gainable.

No, people are not all mentally handicapped, nothing is stopping a soldier from becoming a physicist. All skills should be gainable.

I agree that people are not mentally handicapped (in general), but your example is flawed.  I think you should have said that there is nothing stopping _some_ soldiers from becoming physicists.  Not just anyone can understand physics to the level required to be termed a 'physicist.'  I know plenty of people that have trouble with simple math, let alone advanced linear algebra and vector calculus.

nothing is stopping a soldier from becoming a physicist. All skills should be gainable.

No, but to stay a soldier, be a physicist, and still have time to cook for yourself would take immense effort. Hours of stressful practice and probably a loss of sleep. This is where the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" applies.

To truly be the best at something, is something to be proud of.

Hello everyone, 

I have read many of the posts on this topic and it seems everyone has a different take on the same idea.  The very idea of earning exp. points to buy skills or picking a starting class is NOT WHAT DayZ IS ABOUT.  Finding the appropriate piece of equipment to do those things is. 

I propose expanding the current class system that already exists in DayZ. The HERO & BANDIT classes. 

To do this, the game would have to keep track of certain types of “traits/actions” that you the real player has done while playing the game. For doing many of these specific types of actions the computer will award you with new "class" based on those actual actions that you have done in the past and your class will change as you play based on your style of play. For example:  

Action                                       “Class”                

Start Game =                            Nothing                (None)

Bring Yourself to full Health =      Survivor                (Run Slightly faster)

Kill Many Zeds =                        Zombie Hunter     (Resistant to Infection)

Kill Many Bandits On Site =        Hero                    (Quicker Movement, Slower Bleed-out)

Kill Many Players On Site =        Bandit                 (Slower Movement, Slower Bleed-out)      

Heal Many Others =                   Medic                  (Quicker Healing)

Land Many Choppers =               Pilot                    (Better Gas Mileage in Chopper)

Fix Many Cars =                        Mechanic             (Better Repairs)

Skins Many Animals =                Hunter                 (Quieter Movement)

Hold Up Many Players =              Robber                (You Show as Survivor)       

For each player the “class” could possibly be displayed as an article of clothing, a badge, or some other visual cue that cannot be messed with. (Maybe you only see it when you get within talking distance.) 

The BEST part of this is that DayZ already does this and it would be easy to expand and implement. 

Players would have a better way to understand what type of player they are dealing with when face to face. Which would greatly help with cooperation amongst strangers. 

Edited by Maj0r Payne

I wounder if the devs will put something in as this idea comes up on the board most of the time.  I for one think some subtle skills you can gain over time through learning in a book,  continued use or experience ie eating something that made you sick would not be game breaking. And like in real life you have to keep doing these practicing/using these skills to keep them at there best. If you don't then they degrade over.  I don't want to see grind to the top of one skill forget that skill next one, but still be supper good at the first one for the rest of the game.  This way you can be excellent at just a few things or ok at a lot of things, its your choice and you have to make a sacrifice some where along the line. No one is an expert at everything. As for exp I say no. In my opinion it has no place within this game it does not feel right.

Edited by fing24

the idea of bandits and heroes getting different perks makes no sense. Why would being nice to people make you bleed out slower? This game is about realism first and foremost.

however I would also argue that skills are realistic. I for one would take a long time to load a rifle, but someone who has done it a hundred times would do it in 5 seconds. People say that players would just grind to max out the skill... but that is called practise in real life. For example, you could sit down and practise emptying and loading your gun. That is realistic. Similar story with sewing, repairing, chopping wood gathering berries etc.

p.s. I am against any kind of way of identifying bandits. IRL you see someone on the road and have no idea whether you can trust them or not... there is nothing wrong with this. So you are cautious and call out before exposing yourself. I don't want this to turn into a black and white, good and evil sort of thing...

Edited by 11tw

I respect your opinion however DayZ is not about realism. It may have elements that are realistic but there are also some video game elements as well. Plus striving for total realism especially in a ZOMBIE game is not realistic.

As far as Bandits/Heroes I agree with you as far as realism however some way of balancing the game needs to be introduced. Bandits are the bad guys in all this, they ambush other players, they snipe them from pre-marked ranges, etc. In other words they have the deck stacked in their favor. The Heroes are the good guys who hunt Bandits and as such they should get a bonus to help balance the to radically different styles of play. IRL penalties and rewards are how to affect another’s actions, so if you want the players to act a certain way the majority of time they play then give them a reward or penalty especially if they go way outside the norm.

As far as cooperation, the main problem is the fact that people don’t trust each other unless they know each other in real life. If you meet someone new your natural instinct is to not trust them even if they tell you they are friendly. In other words you have no way to get a read on them. And many times things happen so fast that someone is lying on the ground before a trust can be built. All I’m saying is to have a system that would allow you to better gauge someone up close and get a sense if they are likely to just kill you even though they are telling you they are friendly. It’s just something to help you say to yourself “I trust this guy” especially on a split second decision. I don’t think this will change the current feel of DayZ as the person may want to change his character’s path and waste you even though he helped a 20 others before you to become a Bandit. Also I think that knowing someone is a pilot before you shoot him would be helpful particularly if you know where a chopper is.

Lastly, Because of the steep learning curve players are developing their own skills in DayZ. Maybe your keyboard layout is better than mine and you got the drop on me, or maybe you know every crafting combo there is in the game, etc. My point is each player already has his own set of skills he brings to the table so why add skills that are not needed.   

1. "Heroes" and "Bandits" and "classes" are stupid concepts that make it sound like the people here are far below the age required to legally buy violent games and/or the forum has been taken over by EA representatives looking to ruin an otherwise very sandboxy/unique game.

2. People who can only be bothered interacting with other people on a friendly basis purely because there's a reward in it for them are showing sociopathic tendencies, please report to your nearest psychologist.

NOT knowing whom you're dealing with is part of the FUN. Starting on equal footing with everyone else is FUN. NOT having to grind in any way whatsoever is FUN.

You can jump into DayZ and each time your experience will be different, based purely on what you make of it. STOP trying to turn it into one of your autistic grindfests that can readily be defined and has set goals.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Obviously we both have strong opinions on this so please allow me (one last time) to clarify my position.

1.         When I say classes I’m not talking about getting awarded the ability to do x, y or z.  What I’m saying is everybody plays the way they want to with no restrictions on anything at all. The computer however will recognize different styles of play and after some amount of time makes it clear (when up close to others) what kind of player you are. So if you like to fly choppers all the time the computer will allow others to see you as a pilot (maybe with a pair goggles hanging on your character or something). That is not to say anyone else can’t try to fly a helicopter, of course everyone can but if you keep smacking it into the ground you will not be known to others as a pilot.  So you see this is not career paths or the way EA does it. No one is grinding anything. It just allows players who have survived a long time to be recognized for their style of play, which will allow more cooperation. Also, there could be a switch to turn this feature on/off to your liking and it would not affect the game at all.

2.         This is where you need to look at the game from the commercial side of things. Most people who will buy the finished game and who have no prior knowledge of it will get frustrated quickly. If there were some kind of identification/status they would be more likely to trust and cooperate with another player, especially one they don’t know in real life. The rewards/perks for surviving a long time and actually accomplishing something in the game would of course be minimal but enough that others may want to recruit them into their team. Without this there really is no reason to initially trust each other. For example if there is a group of people who all know each other in real life they will likely kill others on sight because they are just like everyone else. Also, a Hero, Medic, etc. may want to recruit a pilot because they don’t want to lose their own status as Hero, Medic, etc. This would help balance the overall game because there is a way to recognize how a person plays and that could be valuable to others. Plus other players could be seen as a potential friend or at least less of a threat.

BTW - Sociopathic would be defined as someone who purposefully goes out of their way just to inflict harm on someone else without reason and lacks the capacity to feel/understand what they did was wrong. Fear (which nullifies being “sociopathic”) would be the main reason in which people would kill another player for no reason. Identification of another player as a certain type would at least give people pause long enough to try and communicate before they pull the trigger. Without a form of identification and a wide range of things to do (other than gunplay) I don’t feel the game can truly be taken to the next level. People will just kill on sight and/or try to go it alone/with their real friends.

Lastly, I say again. You will not know what someone’s status is unless you are within Direct Communications distance with him! This open up all kinds of FUN with others that I don’t think you are taking into consideration.

Thanks for listening.

Your suggestion tries to sneak in a "karma system" to enforce what you think is the right way of playing the game. This is the fundamental flaw, because there shouldn't be a right way and implementing a quite convoluted model only to restrict player actions in an open world game is not how it should be done.

Anyways, I realized a basic profession/talent/skill system could find its way into a dedicated hardcore mode: You basically start playing by only selecting a gender maybe and how many (or which) friends you want to have with you. Then you will be given a server (depending on player count and your friend options) and spawn as a character with:

• randomized clothing
  • randomized appearance
  • randomized profession
  • randomized talent
  • a chance to have randomized special features like:
    • drawbacks (needs glasses, limp leg, heart condition etc.)
    • cosmetics (left-handed, scars, tatoos etc.)
    • perks (stronger than average, knows how to repair clothes etc.)

Now add to this a pretty nasty penalty for death and you have your survivor. No need for balance - life isn't fair.

Professions and talents could decide what your character can or cannot do. Profession is what the character did at work - cop, firefighter, cook, factory worker, doctor, carpenter - and talent is what the character is good at in a more general way - hunter, athlete, stay-at-home-parent, survivalist, artist - not every perk might be similar useful. Now some actions shouldn't be restricted (e.g. everyone should be able to fire a gun) but the quality of the action might be different (e.g. a cop might be better than a cook). Other actons that require greater knowledge (e.g. cleaning guns) should either be resitriced to certain professions/talents or the chance of going horribly wrong (e.g. cleaning guns) when used by the wrong guy (e.g. a doctor cleaning a gun might ruin it in the process).

Love this!

Idk about tool belts and such but picking a profession/skill would be great for immersion.

I posted something about this in April. The skill would change your unchangeable stats(stamina and carry load) , starting equipment and crafting options.

i kind of agree with the skills system but instead of making a points system make it an all out skill/trade/knowledge base from character creation almost like a talent you possess, only because it does not allow for that cookie cutter build put 2 pts in here 3 pts in here that every MMO has. Say for instance at creation i can choose from "examples" (builder, farmer, electronics, mechanic) Now i choose electronics. In game i find an IPOD in a house (not unlikely) i fix in game (or someone elses) and now "you"  can listen to "your" own music in game, or i choose builder and come across a car that needs an electrician and a mechanic to fix, well now i just took the KOS aspect out and made the game more of a "how can we help eachother, you scratch my back and ill scratch yours" The most subtle of changes can make the biggest impact. Just as long as they dont go over board with McGrubbers "All i need is to empty soda cans and a pistol and BAM!!!! Bazooka time...."

Edited by jtmarine1