Starbridge

Perks/skills/professions/stats

I don't understand people who start screaming COD KID, PERKS WILL RUIN THE GAME, LOL THIS ISN'T WOW as soon as they hear word "skills". Please understand that it can be something different and it can fit perfectly a game such as DayZ

• Like 1

to me, part of the appeal of dayz is that everybody is presented with the same framework, and it is the players experience which counts, not the experience of the avatar. originally, dayz prided itself that the average lifetime of a character was below one hour. with such a concept, there is no place for long-time character progression. its the gamer at the controls who should get better, not his virtual reprsentation.

I see the your point, how ever;  one thing I like about dayz is the realistic approach (for a zombie outbreak). I think that it`s important that its only skills that is possible to work on in real life, that can be implemented in game. I see the point of the player getting better, but why not the character? Give the carefull long survival players a benefit over the "spawn-run-to-airfield-get-a-gun-and-try-kill-some-one-players"? In real life, would not a person that has survived 5 gun fights, run x km daily be better suited than a guy that just got his first gun?

Edited by ElEmil89
  • Like 1

What do you guys think?

Merged

There should be only on skill, beard growth measured by survival time. Perk it provides, looking like a bad ass.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

As long as "passive skills" require severals hours play to get each, and die when player die. I agree.

Because of "supply & demand" model, current players would rather die to save their gear (rare) than their life (infinite). Which is absurd.

I see the your point, how ever;  one thing I like about dayz is the realistic approach (for a zombie outbreak). I think that it`s important that its only skills that is possible to work on in real life, that can be implemented in game. I see the point of the player getting better, but why not the character? Give the carefull long survival players a benefit over the "spawn-run-to-airfield-get-a-gun-and-try-kill-some-one-players"? In real life, would not a person that has survived 5 gun fights, run x km daily be better suited than a guy that just got his first gun?

Yeah exactly.

Everyone should have the same potential but should not just be the same all the time, unless it turns out since there's a big lack of variation that your character is just a clone then everyone being the same would be legit.

I made a topic that was merged in to this namely about classes but we went on to skills in it too, class/profession & skill would be awesome.

You can roleplay as a medic all you want but you're still as useless as a fresh spawn at applying a bandage, even if your character has applied thousands so roleplay doesn't cut it it's just fantasy we want actuality.

The more you stuff you gather in the game the more efficiently you should be able to pack in to bags, so more slots which is what my idea for a Scavenger class is about you start with more slots, everyone can get to the same point but you can pick that kind of thing as a start bonus.

That's what I'd like to be and it gives me no bonus in combat except that maybe I could have more bullets, would still have to train my guys aim up.

I really don't see why people are so against it, DayZ becomes a pretty dry experience quickly some actual progression would be nice if your character lives 100 hours you should have something to show for it, not be beaten down by a fresh spawn who knocked you out while you were prone because it takes so long to stand up.

Wanted to bump this..

I support the idea of "skill books". (i.e. you need to read a mechanics book to build a car. A recipe book to cook certain foods. A survival guide to craft certain items. etc.)

This would just turn this game into all the MMO's on teh market which are NOT survival games.

I can already play tons of these. I want something that is more subtle personally.

There should be only on skill, beard growth measured by survival time. Perk it provides, looking like a bad ass.

I'm kinda for this, but I feel it may not be to the female players' liking...

what if my profession before zombies was Hitman ? or green beret ? gonna shot better than others just cuz a numbre/stat says I am better

It'd be neat if when you spawned you came equipped with a few little things that go with your "profession" before the apocalypse. like if you were a mechanic maybe you have a tire iron or a wrench, if you were a teacher maybe you have a yard stick and a blazer, just little useless stuff like that.

This would just turn this game into all the MMO's on teh market which are NOT survival games.

I can already play tons of these. I want something that is more subtle personally.

I would have to respectfully disagree. DayZ does already have MMO elements, but it's still not an MMO.

Skill books would just simply be one more piece to puzzle in crafting items & would give no benefit to things like combat scenarios.

For example, instead of crafting an improvised backpack with just a burlap sack/rope/sticks (as if your newly washed up survivor coincidentally has the knowledge to do so), you would add a "skill book" as a requirement.

You cannot craft said backpack until you've obtained a crafting book.

The same example could be applied to building a car. Sure you have all of the necessary parts, but your character doesn't have the knowledge of a mechanic to put them together. That's where the skill book comes in. You "read" it once (as a right-click option) & your character now has the knowledge to build a car. When your character dies, the knowledge dies with you. & as a fresh spawn you now need to read what book pertains to what task you're trying to accomplish.

If skill books became a reality, I would NOT support books that would give you advantages such as being faster, having better accuracy, being more resiliant to damage taken or anything that would give you a combat advantage over other players or the zombie threat.

Books that I would support:

-Crafting book (Needed to craft backpacks, splints, improvised bows, various smaller items. Could possibly be different tiers. Example: Tier 1: Courier Bag. Tier 2: Improvised backpack.)

-Recipe Book (Needed to create various food recipes, & once the nutrition system is added, this could be needed to make "healthier", more "wholesome" or "filling" foods.)

-Mechanics Book (Needed to make a fully-functional car)

-Helipcopter Manual (Needed to make a fully-functional helicopter)

-etc.

-etc.

That's general my take on the idea. For those who support it, feel free to add any other types of "skill books" that would be cool to see.

I like that.

What i don't like is how it's a choice.

I think it should be randomly picked for you :)

Why? Because then you have to adapt and deal with it, every new game would be a unique variation.

Here is a list shamelessly stolen from cataclysm-dda:

Animal Empathy   "Peaceful animals will not run away from you, and even aggressive animals are less likely to attack. This only applies to natural animals such as woodland creatures."  
Cannibal   "For your whole life you've been forbidden from indulging in your peculiar tastes. Now the world's ended, and you'll be damned if anyone is going to tell you you can't eat people."  
Deft   "While you're not any better at melee combat, you are better at recovering from a miss, and will be able to attempt another strike faster."  
Disease Resistant   "It's very unlikely that you will catch ambient diseases like a cold or the flu."  
Drunken Master   "The ancient arts of drunken brawling come naturally to you! While under the influence of alcohol, your melee skill will rise considerably, especially unarmed combat."  
Fast Healer   "You heal a little faster than most; sleeping will heal more lost HP."  

Fleet-Footed   "You can run more quickly than most, resulting in a 15% speed bonus on sure footing."  
Gourmand    "You eat faster, and can eat and drink more, than anyone else! You also enjoy food more; delicious food is better for your morale, and you don't mind some unsavory meals."  
High Adrenaline    "If you are in a very dangerous situation, you may experience a temporary rush which increases your speed and strength significantly."  
Light Eater    "Your metabolism is a little slower, and you require less food than most."  
Light Step    "You make less noise while walking. You're also less likely to set off traps."  

Masochist    "Although you still suffer the negative effects of pain, it also brings a unique pleasure to you."  
Night Vision    "You possess natural night vision, and can see two squares instead of one in pitch blackness."  
Packmule   "You can manage to find space for anything! You can carry 40% more volume."  
Pain Resistant    "You have a high tolerance for pain."  
Parkour Expert    "You're skilled at clearing obstacles; terrain like railings or counters are as easy for you to move on as solid ground."  
Poison Resistant   "Your system is rather tolerant of poisons and toxins, and most will affect you less."  

Self-aware

"You get to see your exact amount of HP remaining, instead of only having a vague idea of whether you're in good condition or not."  

Thick-Skinned

"Your skin is tough. Cutting damage is slightly reduced for you. Slightly reduces wet penalties."  
Tough    "It takes a lot to bring you down! You get a 20% bonus to all hit points."  
Venom Mob Protege    "You are a pupil of the Venom Clan. You start with one of the five deadly venoms: Centipede, Viper, Scorpion, Lizard, or Toad."  

Negative Traits

Addictive Personality    "It's easier for you to become addicted to substances, and harder to rid yourself of these addictions."  
Asthmatic    "You will occasionally need to use an inhaler, or else suffer severe physical limitations. However, you are guaranteed to start with an inhaler."  
Bad Back    "You simply can not carry as much as people with a similar strength could. Your maximum weight carried is reduced by 35%."  
Chemical Imbalance    "You suffer from a minor chemical imbalance, whether mental or physical. Minor changes to your internal chemistry will manifest themselves on occasion, such as hunger, sleepiness, narcotic effects, etc."  
Far-Sighted    "Without reading glasses, you are unable to read anything, and take penalities on melee accuracy and electronics/tailoring crafting. However, you are guaranteed to start with a pair of reading glasses."  
Forgetful    "You have a hard time remembering things. Your skills will erode slightly faster than usual."  
Flimsy    "Your body can't take much abuse. Its maximum HP is 25% lower than usual and you heal slightly slower. Stacks with Glass Jaw."  
Frail    "Your body breaks very easily. Its maximum HP is 50% lower than usual and you heal slower. Stacks with Glass Jaw."  
Fragile    "Your body is extremely fragile. Its maximum HP is 75% lower than usual and you heal much slower. Stacks with Glass Jaw."  
Glass Jaw    "Your head can't take much abuse. Its maximum HP is 15% lower than usual."  
Hates Fruit    "You despise eating fruits. It's possible for you to eat them, but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  
Hates Vegetables    "You like many children hated eating your vegetables you also didn't outgrow it. It's possible for you to eat them, but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  

Hoarder

"You don't feel right unless you're carrying as much as you can. You suffer morale penalties for carrying less than maximum volume (weight is ignored)."  

Jittery

"During moments of great stress or under the effects of stimulants, you may find your hands shaking uncontrollably, severely reducing your dexterity."  
Junkfood Intolerance    "Something in those heavily processed foods doesn't agree with you. It's possible for you to eat them, but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  
Lactose Intolerance    "You like 75 percent of the world, cannot tolerate milk or milk based products. It's possible for you to eat them, but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  
Lightweight    "Alcohol and drugs go straight to your head. You suffer the negative effects of these for longer."  
Meat Intolerance    "You have problems with eating meat, it's possible for you to eat it but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  
Mood Swings    "Your morale will shift up and down at random, often dramatically."  
Near-Sighted    "Without your glasses, your seeing radius is severely reduced! However, while wearing glasses this trait has no effect, and you are guaranteed to start with a pair."  
Poor Hearing    "Your hearing is poor, and you may not hear quiet or far-off noises."  

Schizophrenic

"You will periodically suffer from delusions, ranging from minor effects to full visual hallucinations. Some of these effects may be controlled through the use of Thorazine."  
Smelly    "Your scent is particularly strong. It's not offensive to humans, but animals that track your scent will do so more easily."  
Trigger Happy    "On rare occasion, you will go full-auto when you intended to fire a single shot. This has no effect when firing handguns or other semi-automatic firearms."  

Weak Stomach

"You are more likely to throw up from food poisoning, alcohol, etc."  
Wheat Allergy    "You have a rare allergen that prevents you from eating wheat. It's possible for you to eat them, but you will suffer morale penalties due to nausea."  

Wool Allergy

"You are badly allergic to wool, and can not wear any clothing made of the substance."

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

I would have to respectfully disagree. DayZ does already have MMO elements, but it's still not an MMO.

Skill books would just simply be one more piece to puzzle in crafting items & would give no benefit to things like combat scenarios.

For example, instead of crafting an improvised backpack with just a burlap sack/rope/sticks (as if your newly washed up survivor coincidentally has the knowledge to do so), you would add a "skill book" as a requirement.

You cannot craft said backpack until you've obtained a crafting book.

The same example could be applied to building a car. Sure you have all of the necessary parts, but your character doesn't have the knowledge of a mechanic to put them together. That's where the skill book comes in. You "read" it once (as a right-click option) & your character now has the knowledge to build a car. When your character dies, the knowledge dies with you. & as a fresh spawn you now need to read what book pertains to what task you're trying to accomplish.

If skill books became a reality, I would NOT support books that would give you advantages such as being faster, having better accuracy, being more resiliant to damage taken or anything that would give you a combat advantage over other players or the zombie threat.

Books that I would support:

-Crafting book (Needed to craft backpacks, splints, improvised bows, various smaller items. Could possibly be different tiers. Example: Tier 1: Courier Bag. Tier 2: Improvised backpack.)

-Recipe Book (Needed to create various food recipes, & once the nutrition system is added, this could be needed to make "healthier", more "wholesome" or "filling" foods.)

-Mechanics Book (Needed to make a fully-functional car)

-Helipcopter Manual (Needed to make a fully-functional helicopter)

-etc.

-etc.

That's general my take on the idea. For those who support it, feel free to add any other types of "skill books" that would be cool to see.

so you think that an average person could read a manual and then fly a helicopter and not die in 5 minutes?

if this is a simulation that would really ruin what tiny amount of realism this game has.

If that is no longer what this game is considered then I would say introduce something like this is ok.

I would prefer as little of this stuff as is possible.

Respectfully I do see where you are coming from and partially agree, but in the end I think it would just end up turning this into everything else that is already on the market. I would love to see a very unique system that could include "skills" just not simply from finding a book and the skill appearing in a list.

I see potential in your suggestions if it is well thought out and toned to actually work for survival and not build just another character buildng rpg/mmo. It can have some of those elements but the more you put in the more it is more of the same. I like this game even in its current state because it is not really like those games to me atm.

Last thing this game needs is RPG elements.

The game is far too arcadey as it is.

More simulation is the only thing required atm.

so you think that an average person could read a manual and then fly a helicopter and not die in 5 minutes?

No, but I also don't think the average Joe washed up on the shoreline of Cheraraus would do any better.

if this is a simulation that would really ruin what tiny amount of realism this game has.

If that is no longer what this game is considered then I would say introduce something like this is ok.

I would prefer as little of this stuff as is possible.

Respectfully I do see where you are coming from and partially agree, but in the end I think it would just end up turning this into everything else that is already on the market. I would love to see a very unique system that could include "skills" just not simply from finding a book and the skill appearing in a list.

I see potential in your suggestions if it is well thought out and toned to actually work for survival and not build just another character buildng rpg/mmo. It can have some of those elements but the more you put in the more it is more of the same. I like this game even in its current state because it is not really like those games to me atm.

I do agree that I do not want to see DayZ become another RPG character builder, but that's not the way I'm percieving it. I'm more so looking at it simply as another level of crafting to add more depth to it. Skills you build in game's such as Elder Scrolls are generally combat based, which is NOT what I want this idea to revolve around. Focus on crafting/base building.

We don't need professions. You'll have plenty to occupy yourself when Base building and vehicles come in play.

Actually improving some abilities by doing them over some period is not a bad thing. I don't know if it should be limited to one life or all the gameplay throughout but it makes sense that in the beginning you can't run as fast, carry as heavy weights, craft everything in one, two, three, load magazines in seconds and so on so forth. So, if you started out on a lower stage and worked your way up to better endurability, weapon handling, crafting etc it wouldn't specifically draw away from the authenticy of DayZ.

As for very specific skills, you already have some sort of system in game. For example, people who are familiar with combat drills, can use them effectively while people who are not, can't. Same goes for using a compass, a map and coordination in DayZ environment. Knowledge of survival skills lets you collect needed stuff more effectively because then you know what to pick and what to ditch.

Either way, it is not a bad idea but needs some thinking how to make it work properly.

Edited by SGT. Kalme

I have read a couple of other threads on similar topics, but none that are the same... sorry if I'm reposting old ideas.

I think a benefit of survival should be improved skills - specifically how long it takes you to pull off certain things.  For example: when you spawn, your character can reload and fire a weapon, but they are a bit slow at taking aim (right click animation is slower) and their reloading is clunky (reload animation is slow).  The more they fire their weapon and reload their weapon, the faster they get at it. The game could keep track of a particular player's 'skill' with different actions and apply that to how fast they can do those actions.

This would be realistic in that people get better at things they do repeatedly, and it would improve the game by giving people more reasons to survive.

-----

On a different but rather similar topic, I think it could be fun for people to start with a bit of a backstory.  Not a long one or anything, but something simple when you first spawn such as "You were a mechanic in Svetlojarsk before the infection and have been hiding out on a boat just off the coast.  Your boat was sunk and all you could salvage was a flashlight and a map of the area (or whatever your character starts with).

This would have 2 benefits - first, you would know where you started... it's so ridiculous that you start in this game with absolutely no idea where you are.  What human being doesn't at least know the nearest large city?!  Second, it would give you a starting skillset.  If, for example, an accountant wanted to get a car working, they would have to find someone else with mechanical knowledge - increasing player interactions.

I know the biggest argument to this is that ppl would suicide until they had the starting character they wanted... to that I'd say there shouldn't be one character that is really 'better' than another... they should each have starting skills that are useful and ones that are only useful if they team up with others.  I'm sure a balance could be found.

• Like 1

I like idea with some back story, some explanation why am I on the coast with battery in my pocket :D It can also vary items you get in start, but it would probably support suicidal guys to spawn until they get gear they wanted.

• Like 1

Actually improving some abilities by doing them over some period is not a bad thing. I don't know if it should be limited to one life or all the gameplay throughout but it makes sense that in the beginning you can't run as fast, carry as heavy weights, craft everything in one, two, three, load magazines in seconds and so on so forth. So, if you started out on a lower stage and worked your way up to better endurability, weapon handling, crafting etc it wouldn't specifically draw away from the authenticy of DayZ.

As for very specific skills, you already have some sort of system in game. For example, people who are familiar with combat drills, can use them effectively while people who are not, can't. Same goes for using a compass, a map and coordination in DayZ environment. Knowledge of survival skills lets you collect needed stuff more effectively because then you know what to pick and what to ditch.

Either way, it is not a bad idea but needs some thinking how to make it work properly.

I started another post for this but now I realize I shouldn't have (sorry, community).  I think the best place to implement these ideas is in the animation timings for the game.  When I first spawn, my character is basically a worthless moron.  We assume that he's never shot a gun, run a marathon, or had to survive at all.

Running -- people run a LOT in DayZ, as we all know, but real people couldn't keep up that pace for that time.  I know other threads discuss the stamina issue, but what about getting better at running?  Every day you should get stronger, faster, and have more stamina assuming you are eating/drinking and not injured.

Shooting -- we can't really make shooting any easier/harder because of how the game works... but we can change how fast a character can reload.  We can change how fast a character can bring a weapon up from 'ready' to 'looking down the sights.'  Practice should make these animations faster.  And YES, even if someone just keeps pressing their right mouse button to bring their weapon up/down, it should improve!!  That's called "practice" and it's how people really get better at that type of thing.  Same for reloading... yanking your mag and throwing it back in your weapon is a great way to get better at it.

Survival -- If I were to stop eating today, my stomach would be quite angry by tonight and pissed by tomorrow... but if I were to change my habits to eat once every day or two then my body would get used to it.  Point is that time between getting hungry could be changed by waiting until you're very hungry and then eating, training yourself to go without food for when you really need to.  I don't think characters should be able to change how long it takes to starve, but they should be able to change how long it takes to start to feel the negative effects (slowing down, blurred vision, etc)

I could probably keep going all day on this lol.

I can see the realism but honestly this is all based on your personal gaming skill not the character. I hope a skill system would not be introduced at all so basicly are characters are even besides the gear they wear and weapons but all fix at the same rate, heal and gain the same boosts from eating that others do but the whole gunning down another player is based on the players reflex and eye sight when it comes to targeting and avoidence manuveurs. Dont get me wrong im all for realism and understand every person is different with physical and natural abilitys but i dont believe this game should introduce that sort of feature, if so then all good im just personally against the idea.

There should be only on skill, beard growth measured by survival time. Perk it provides, looking like a bad ass.

And if/when you're starving you could pick little morsels of left overs in it for a little pick me up, PLUS after it's large enough you could even start storing lighter objects in it :D ADD IT I wanna see this in Stable by June's end!

I can see the realism but honestly this is all based on your personal gaming skill not the character. I hope a skill system would not be introduced at all so basicly are characters are even besides the gear they wear and weapons but all fix at the same rate, heal and gain the same boosts from eating that others do but the whole gunning down another player is based on the players reflex and eye sight when it comes to targeting and avoidence manuveurs. Dont get me wrong im all for realism and understand every person is different with physical and natural abilitys but i dont believe this game should introduce that sort of feature, if so then all good im just personally against the idea.

Sounds to me like you have no interest in playing a survival game and lots of interest in testing your deathmatch skills.  My goal in suggesting skills that improve over time is to add value to your character's life so you are less likely to do unrealistic/suicidal crap.  I know this will be very unpopular with the KoS community... but then, is this game really made for them?

Sounds to me like you have no interest in playing a survival game and lots of interest in testing your deathmatch skills.  My goal in suggesting skills that improve over time is to add value to your character's life

At first I was thinking the same as Redstar - it would be terribly frustrating for the controls to add extra delay onto my own reaction time when shooting. Also what I really like about dayz is the sense of freedom that comes from having your fortune determined not so much by your character's gear and past experience and knowledge, but more by your wits and whatever tools you can find before you get into trouble. You can go from having nothing to having everything in 10 minutes, and then lose everything in another 2, because every character has the same base capability.

But then when you made the distinction between survival and deathmatch games, it made me think again. As far as shooting goes, having to improve skills over time would force freshly spawned characters to focus on more careful approaches to combat, instead of just who is best at aiming. It might lessen the deathmatching on the coast because dying and having to start over being clumsy with the weapons would be a pain in the ass.

On the downside it could also make coming up against longer-lived characters impossible.. which would detract from that sense of freedom I talked about earlier. But that is all about balancing I suppose.

I have a feeling that having "weapon skills" would be the most controversial part of your idea.. so that's all I've commented on. At the end of the day as long as you could still have that feeling of "i could do anything" when you start your character, and it doesn't feel like you have to grind up the skills to be competitive, I would enjoy it.