SmashT

DayZ at Rezzed 2014 // Dev Sessions Livestream // Roadmap

What means "Blended body injuries" (part of Ragdoll slide) ? I don't understand the concept.

Not entirely sure but I think what this means is ragdoll based animations for injured bodyparts like a broken/hurt leg or something.

Edited by Ellen Ripley

I know that it hasn't been fully discussed with the team, But I'm glad that Rocket has confirmed Helicopters. There was a rumour going around a while ago that they weren't going to be making a return, and having a helicopter was one of the best parts of the mod.

the slide with the snow is missing apparently. (basically weather affecting weapons and player)

also q4/qx is missing entirely in the slide show.

no mentions about drugs this time..

what's important: almost def. NO to instanced underground bases (jumping to conclusions)

Edited by joe_mcentire

With regards to barricading and how barricaded houses will be persistent on a specific server - they should really take a look at Rust. Those guys have already tested that aspect for a long time now.

The first problem that I could think of when implementing permanent barricades/buildings will be the high possibility of overloading the server. There was a time in Rust where the whole map was just riddled with wooden skyscrapers and walls to a point where the game is unplayable - both gameplay-wise and performance-wise (I remember clocking in at 1 FPS in one particular server).

That said, permanent user-built objects are out of the question. That's where object decay comes in and I think Rust did a pretty good job at it. Basically what a "decay system" does is have user-built objects decay over time. Safe houses that aren't used for an X amount of time begin decaying until such Y amount of time it gets destroyed and gets deleted off the server. With that system in place, the current build in Rust runs consistently at 60 fps at least for me.

I was waiting for Dean to mention Rust during that part of his presentation, because that's exactly where Rust excels at. Too bad that game is a direct competitor to DayZ. Oh well. I guess what I'm saying is, maybe the DayZ team can take a few pages off of Rust for the building/barricading stuff.

Edited by tingkagol

With regards to barricading and how barricaded houses will be persistent on a specific server - they should really take a look at Rust. Those guys have already tested that aspect for a long time now.

The first problem that I could think of when implementing permanent barricades/buildings will be the high possibility of overloading the server. There was a time in Rust where the whole map was just riddled with wooden skyscrapers and walls to a point where the game is unplayable - both gameplay-wise and performance-wise (I remember clocking in at 1 FPS in one particular server).

That said, permanent user-built objects are out of the question. That's where object decay comes in and I think Rust did a pretty good job at it. Basically what a "decay system" does is have user-built objects decay over time. Safe houses that aren't used for an X amount of time begin decaying until such Y amount of time it gets destroyed and gets deleted off the server. With that system in place, the current build in Rust runs consistently at 60 fps at least for me.

I was waiting for Dean to mention Rust during that part of his presentation, because that's exactly where Rust excels at. Too bad that game is a direct competitor to DayZ. Oh well. I guess what I'm saying is, maybe the DayZ team can take a few pages off of Rust for the building/barricading stuff.

Direct competitor? Don't make me laugh. For some people maybe. But overall? Not a chance. Likewise Project Zomboid/ 7 Days to die or whatever else there is. None of them are similar to each other. They have all different Graphics/Controls/Playstyles i am a huge fan of DayZ but I can't see myself playing rust oder 7days to die. No interest at all.

Edited by Ellen Ripley

What means "Blended body injuries" (part of Ragdoll slide) ? I don't understand the concept.

I get a picture in my mind of someone running around with a flopping useless arm like a ragdoll due to injury. lol. All that comes to my mind. 

• Like 1

At least now people know the plan, hopefully the calls for "Vehicles Now!" die down.

Not likely though.

Definitely not.  It'll be "why didn't they get the new team to work on vehicles!?!  even a bike!  $)*#@(#@$)" or something along those lines.

Definitely not.  It'll be "why didn't they get the new team to work on vehicles!?!  even a bike!  $)*#@(#@$)" or something along those lines.

I agree.

Anyway, remember that the roadmap was expected for the second half of january...so, if that can be considered a roadmap, and I don't think so, I still feel that they are late on that aspect and I'm still waiting to regain faith :D

The first problem that I could think of when implementing permanent barricades/buildings will be the high possibility of overloading the server. There was a time in Rust where the whole map was just riddled with wooden skyscrapers and walls to a point where the game is unplayable - both gameplay-wise and performance-wise (I remember clocking in at 1 FPS in one particular server).

Direct competitor? Don't make me laugh. For some people maybe. But overall? Not a chance. Likewise Project Zomboid/ 7 Days to die or whatever else there is. None of them are similar to each other. They have all different Graphics/Controls/Playstyles i am a huge fan of DayZ but I can't see myself playing rust oder 7days to die. No interest at all.
You completely missed the point of my post. You just sound like an elitist DayZ fanboy.

Addressing your straw-man, it's a competitor in the sense that both games belong to more or less the same arena that are vying for the top spot in digital sales via steam. Probably explains why Dean is reluctant to discuss the already streamlined building/barricading system of Rust, that is if he got around to playing it. Of course, they're understandably different games, offering different gameplay experiences to players. But how can you say for certain Rust has nothing in common with DayZ when you haven't even played it? Having played both I can say some core mechanics are similar - Rust was after all inspired by DayZ.

Still, completely irrelevant.

Edited by tingkagol

Here is the basic roadmap for 2014 from the slides, the formal roadmap is not yet complete, when it is it will be announced.

Highlights for next update

• More robust process for testing / delivery
  • Bow and arrow / crossbow
  • Fireplaces
  • Network optimizations
  • No spawn penalties for joining same server
  • When?

Best case: two weeks
          Worst case: end of April

Fireplaces

• Can cook things!
  • Crafting fireplaces
  • Upgrading them to ovens

Respawning Loot Prototype

• World divided into quadrants
  • Quad resets when empty X time
  • Includes resetting doors
  • Door state randomly set on world start

Accelerated Time

• Removed as part of lag / desync fix
  • Comfigurable by servers admins
  • Up to 64x faster day / night cycle
  • Rules for Hardcore t.b.d.
Throwable Items
  • Everything that can be held in hand
  • Different materials react differently
  • Uses "Bullet" physics SDk
  • Calculated on server

Player Controls

• Mouse Acceleration issues
  • Dexterity
  • Freelook
  • Physics based movement
  • Jumping considered

Short-term (Q2)

Ragdoll

• Nearly functionally complete
  • Based on "Bullet" physics lib
  • Includes falling characters
  • The future?
  • Dragging unconscious / bodies
  • Blended body injuries

New AI pathfinding

• Animals and Zombies
  • Techniques
  • Voxelization
  • Walkable polygons
  • Navmesh optimization
  • Object Avoidance
  • First iteration nearly complete
  • handles interiors, small objects

64-bit

• Compiling!
  • Server can use more memory
  • Helps with
  • Physics integration
  • Vehicle physics
  • New zombie AI
  • Possibly much more

Prototype Animals

• Prototype implementation
  • Allow player "hunting"
  • 6 new animal types
  • Starting from scratch
  • Wandering

Persistent Objects

• All objects or just some?
  • Save state of everything
  • Decide which to permanently use

Advanced Weather Effects

• Snow and fog
  • Weather will affect player
  • Ballistics affected by weather

World Containers

• Refrigerator
  • Oven
  • Cupboards

Medium-term (Q3)

Multi-thread / Multi-core

• Multiple threads on Multiple cores
  • More zombies...
  • More players...
  • More animals...
  • Probably more server focused

Advanced Animals

• Hostile animals
  • Neutral animals
  • Companion animals

New Zombie Behaviour

• More responsive
  • Redeveloped "agro" system
  • More benefits to stealth

Central Loot Economy

• Control loot numbers centrally
  • Set for all servers per hive

Barricading

• Physics based construction
  • Mainly focused on existing buildings.

Basic Vehicles

• Small Vehicles
  • Bicycle / Motorcycles / ATV
  • Possibly includes small car
  • Customizable / Configurable-like weapons
  • Physics based ("bullet" Physics SDK )

Modding Support

• Probably tied with private hives
  • Full support for mods
  • Steam Workshop integration

Player Statistics

• Steam Achievements
  • Database interaction API for developers

Horticulture

• Growing plants
  • Persistent to server
  • Prototype to come earlier

Long-term (Q4/Qx)

Advanced Vehicles

• Cars / Trucks / Planes / Helicopters / Boats
  • Upgradable components
  • Similar approach as weapon attachments

Extended barricading

• Existing barricading to full construction
  • Allows players to create new structures
  • Persistent to that server

Advanced Social Mechanics

• Faction identification methods
  • Spawn systems tied to controlled locations
  • Better UI support for trading.
  • Like 5

The amount of stuff they're planning is unbelievable :O

If they stick to that plan and achieve it then it looks like by the time I play the game it will be a whole new ball game from how we see the game played today. I’d rather they really nailed the performance issues before trying to push to far its adding things. When you see the game flowing on twitch from fire fight to simple gearing up and its all running well it’s a joy then you get times when characters are killed due to lag and general poor performance from the game and it becomes what must be hateful from the guy actually playing it. A lot of time is invested in gearing up and it must burn when you loose your kit so cheaply due to a bug or general poor code etc.

But that  list suggests the team are saying bring it on!!!! I wish them every success is crossing off each of these road map milestones. Its a long drive but I hope it will be worth it and worth the wait in my case.

• Like 1

the slide with the snow is missing apparently. (basically weather affecting weapons and player)

also q4/qx is missing entirely in the slide show.

no mentions about drugs this time..

what's important: almost def. NO to instanced underground bases (jumping to conclusions)

no underground bases and barricading existing buildings..., :)  I remember a few guyz on the mod forums talking about this constantly.... B)

beside drugs..what's about cannibalism and suicide  and children ..I mean small zeds ??

• Like 2

no underground bases and barricading existing buildings..., :)  I remember a few guyz on the mod forums talking about this constantly.... B)

beside drugs..what's about cannibalism and suicide  and children ..I mean small zeds ??

Pretty sure child zombies were ruled out. Not feasible as it would require new models, new skeletons, new animations for every animation on the new skeleton. (months of work) as well as the PR nightmare. [source]

Suicide is confirmed and in progress [source]

Cannibalism is something that has been on the cards for a while but needs a lot of design work as they don't want everyone just eating everyone they find, in the real world it would be a last resort kind of thing but don't want to prevent it entirely as a playstyle so it's not on the roadmap at the moment.

So we can't have a General Discussion about the Rezzed Stream because someone announced it in the devtracker already and didn't bother to lock it, or was it because that OP had no content in it besides a URL? Cause it'd be nice to have a centralized topic to discuss the roadmap, preferably somewhere most users would reasonably expect to find it, but I don't want to start a redundant topic for obvious reasons.

I'm genuinely confused by the decision making on this one. What is the General Discussion forum actually for? Complaining about KoS?

my 2 cents: the overall presentation was quite pleasing to me. there was some remarkable progress announced (64bit usage server side or the animal/zed pathfinding and ai in the slovakian branch). the only thing slightly bothering me is with what he said in the very beginning; that the roadmap as presented to the audience is basicaly not really in coordination with his team. I know now that he has surely a very precise and good overview over the project however it is worrisome at least. However i'd classify that as a rookie mistake communication-wise (still, Dean? STILL?)

So i personally would take the whole roadmap more or less a bit with pinch of salt, but that's just me.

That all said. Purely based on the roadmap this game is set to become an amazing experience although i'd have to say that i still think some goals are just not necessary (farming, taming of animals, horses etc...)

So we can't have a General Discussion about the Rezzed Stream because someone announced it in the devtracker already and didn't bother to lock it, or was it because that OP had no content in it besides a URL? Cause it'd be nice to have a centralized topic to discuss the roadmap, preferably somewhere most users would reasonably expect to find it, but I don't want to start a redundant topic for obvious reasons.

I'm genuinely confused by the decision making on this one. What is the General Discussion forum actually for? Complaining about KoS?

Last time I made a topic In General Discussion about a Dev Interview people complained that I didn't put it in the DevTracker with all the other information from the Devs so I moved it. This time I start one in the DevTracker and people complain it's not in General Discussion. Can't win.

• Like 4

Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen

emperor.png

• Like 2

Pretty sure child zombies were ruled out. Not feasible as it would require new models, new skeletons, new animations for every animation on the new skeleton. (months of work) as well as the PR nightmare. [source]

Suicide is confirmed and in progress [source]

Cannibalism is something that has been on the cards for a while but needs a lot of design work as they don't want everyone just eating everyone they find, in the real world it would be a last resort kind of thing but don't want to prevent it entirely as a playstyle so it's not on the roadmap at the moment.

Thx for that  :)  ...just want to have all kind of dark aspects of such a scenario included as well ...

my 2 cents: the overall presentation was quite pleasing to me. there was some remarkable progress announced (64bit usage server side or the animal/zed pathfinding and ai in the slovakian branch). the only thing slightly bothering me is with what he said in the very beginning; that the roadmap as presented to the audience is basicaly not really in coordination with his team. I know now that he has surely a very precise and good overview over the project however it is worrisome at least. However i'd classify that as a rookie mistake communication-wise (still, Dean? STILL?)

So i personally would take the whole roadmap more or less a bit with pinch of salt, but that's just me.

That all said. Purely based on the roadmap this game is set to become an amazing experience although i'd have to say that i still think some goals are just not necessary (farming, taming of animals, horses etc...)

imo, i dont think thats what he ment.

I think he ment to say was that the roadmap slideshow was mocked up without the teams input. Not that the roadmap for the rest of the year was made by 1 man with no input from the team. I beleive the roadmap is known by the team. its just that the team did not know what the slideshow would consist of.

Edited by Razgriz Berkut

I beleive the roadmap is known by the team. its just that the team did not know what the slideshow would consist of.

Don't you see the problem there ;) so basically he could build up hype with being too generous in his slideshow and his team could be like "but this differs to our real roadmap"

Of course all just hypothetical :)

Edit:

The "real" roadmap would also show the sophisticated skill system of course.

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 1