SmashT

DayZ at Rezzed 2014 // Dev Sessions Livestream // Roadmap

If snow doesn't settle on the ground, please, don't have it. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

And what does he mean by "everything being synchronized" not just including tents and backpacks? Like all the items on the server? Why...?

well this happens actually, don't you know? especially in fall.

• Like 1

Almost couldn't watch the twitch interview-video because I keep getting mad at the annoying interviewer.. Honestly, does he have any experience in these type of things? He looks very fidgety/nervous the entire time and loses his words quite often. Also many of his jokes are so baaad, which is demonstrated by him being the only one laughing at them. But all the more respect to Rocket for staying clear and answering the questions good.

I am very glad with the road-map in the first video, was not suprised by many things but I'm glad animals are on the short term list :)

I know, but to me it it looks out of place in Arma. Whenever I see it it actually takes me out of the game. (I have come across it hundreds of times in Wasteland.)

I know, but to me it it looks out of place in Arma. Whenever I see it it actually takes me out of the game. (I have come across it hundreds of times in Wasteland.)

huh? but why? tell you something, now just imagine this feature along with the other supposed features in place: fog and wind and then you add also your own visible breath. would it still take you out of the game?

Edited by joe_mcentire

yap  and that's exactly what they are after I think....sudden frost and first snow ( especially on the mountains)  ...amazing idea and a good addition gameplaywise ( warm clothes or campfires required). This is what makes the difference to stupid causal games  :thumbsup:

huh? but why? tell you something, now just imagine this feature along with the other supposed features in place: fog and wind and then you add also your own visible breath. would it still take you out of the game?

Err... yes? I'm getting tired of arguing details as though we will change each other's minds.

I posted a simple, opinion based comment. I have played with snow, and if you care, fog and wind and on the backdrop of a lush green landscape it looks out of place; (I say again) to me.

:o oh i am sorry to have bothered you with a wonderful late fall impression  :huh:

nevertheless, to say it breaks the 4th wall when something REALISTIC is implemented... lmao.

udoZUMg.jpg?1

iCnK9RK.jpg?1

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

talking about 1. and 3. person settings...any info if it will it be possible to change settings serverside in the future...I would love to keep 3.Person just for running around, taking screenshots and adoring my sexy character but also force players into 1. person as soon as they equip a weapon or go crouched or prone...I am not happy with the current system ...would be cool if this could be done serverside...

Highlights for next update

• More robust process for testing / delivery
  • Bow and arrow / crossbow
  • Fireplaces
  • Network optimizations
  • No spawn penalties for joining same server
  • When?

Best case: two weeks

Worst case: end of April

Fireplaces

• Can cook things!
  • Crafting fireplaces
  • Upgrading them to ovens

Respawning Loot Prototype

• World divided into quadrants
  • Quad resets when empty X time
  • Includes resetting doors
  • Door state randomly set on world start

Accelerated Time

• Removed as part of lag / desync fix
  • Comfigurable by servers admins
  • Up to 64x faster day / night cycle
  • Rules for Hardcore t.b.d.

Throwable Items

• Everything that can be held in hand
  • Different materials react differently
  • Uses "Bullet" physics SDk
  • Calculated on server

Player Controls

• Mouse Acceleration issues
  • Dexterity
  • Freelook
  • Physics based movement
  • Jumping considered

Short-term (Q2)

Ragdoll

• Nearly functionally complete
  • Based on "Bullet" physics lib
  • Includes falling characters
  • The future?
  • Dragging unconscious / bodies
  • Blended body injuries

New AI pathfinding

• Animals and Zombies
  • Techniques
  • Voxelization
  • Walkable polygons
  • Navmesh optimization
  • Object Avoidance
  • First iteration nearly complete
  • handles interiors, small objects

64-bit

• Compiling!
  • Server can use more memory
  • Helps with
  • Physics integration
  • Vehicle physics
  • New zombie AI
  • Possibly much more

Prototype Animals

• Prototype implementation
  • Allow player "hunting"
  • 6 new animal types
  • Starting from scratch
  • Wandering

Persistent Objects

• All objects or just some?
  • Save state of everything
  • Decide which to permanently use

Advanced Weather Effects

• Snow and fog
  • Weather will affect player
  • Ballistics affected by weather

World Containers

• Refrigerator
  • Oven
  • Cupboards

Medium-term (Q3)

Multi-thread / Multi-core

• Multiple threads on Multiple cores
  • More zombies...
  • More players...
  • More animals...
  • Probably more server focused

Advanced Animals

• Hostile animals
  • Neutral animals
  • Companion animals

New Zombie Behaviour

• More responsive
  • Redeveloped "agro" system
  • More benefits to stealth

Central Loot Economy

• Control loot numbers centrally
  • Set for all servers per hive

Barricading

• Physics based construction
  • Mainly focused on existing buildings.

Basic Vehicles

• Small Vehicles
  • Bicycle / Motorcycles / ATV
  • Possibly includes small car
  • Customizable / Configurable-like weapons
  • Physics based ("bullet" Physics SDK )

Modding Support

• Probably tied with private hives
  • Full support for mods
  • Steam Workshop integration

Player Statistics

• Steam Achievements
  • Database interaction API for developers

Horticulture

• Growing plants
  • Persistent to server
  • Prototype to come earlier

Long-term (Q4/Qx)

Advanced Vehicles

• Cars / Trucks / Planes / Helicopters / Boats
  • Upgradable components
  • Similar approach as weapon attachments

Extended barricading

• Existing barricading to full construction
  • Allows players to create new structures
  • Persistent to that server

Advanced Social Mechanics

• Faction identification methods
  • Spawn systems tied to controlled locations
  • Better UI support for trading.

i wish the DayZ SA team the very best of luck and everything! this roadmap is lovely! hopefully, they can deliver everything on time they've promised here

only thing that sucks in my view is that new guns aren't a top priority (i know many people will disagree but still). when will AKM and SVD be released? when will silencers and bayonets finally work? etc.

i wish the DayZ SA team the very best of luck and everything! this roadmap is lovely! hopefully, they can deliver everything on time they've promised here

only thing that sucks in my view is that new guns aren't a top priority (i know many people will disagree but still). when will AKM and SVD be released? when will silencers and bayonets finally work? etc.

Dean said at the presentation that the Ak will come soon....also stuff like guns, clothes, new buildings map improvments, new animations etc etc are things that are being worked on all the time so it is pointless to see them as milestones or top priorities like ragdoll for example  :)

Edited by Private Evans

considering the recent lack of things to do, engine inherent bugs and glitches and almost no PVE aspects ingame i guess i couldn't care less whether there are two or 20 guns more ingame. clearly low priority imo

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 3

firstly, I don't do youtube, secondly im not a like hoarder and finally im not a dude.

Sure: many likes just for having a pictiure of (some) cute girl but who cares. He's just mad for not getting beans

I think they forgot on the roadmap that was posted above, that rocket mentioned laying foundations and building buildings for base building

Edited by spartan54820

Dont really like pointing out what others seem to not see, but when simply adding a few hats, jackets, couple of guns and changing the infected slightly nearly entirely kills the game since its been implimented and still has a massive effect for many to this day, (even after spending a month ironing the patch out before releasing it). I don't hold much hope that they are going to complete this game in a year. Compared to other alpha open sandbox survival horrors that are in the pipeline now, the going is less than slow. 

• Like 2

The only thing that "upsets" me about this roadmap is that is was supposed to be public in late january, and nobody talked about this big delay after the devblog that announced it for the second half of january.

• Like 1

The only thing that "upsets" me about this roadmap is that is was supposed to be public in late january, and nobody talked about this big delay after the devblog that announced it for the second half of january.

This isn't the formal roadmap, that still isn't finished. The reason for that is because they had to make significant changes to it as a result of the games success (allowing them more resources than originally planned) as well as issues being discovered that required them to change their plans to fix them. This has been spoken about before.

The breakdown of what tasks we plan to do was outlined on the forums. The formal "roadmap" has had to be changed a great deal. An example is that we devoted very significant resources (and are continuing to do so) to fixing desync and lag issues. We have also decided to devote resources to redoing player control (mouse acceleration etc...). These are not things we initially planned to do.

That puppet ventriloquist in the first video was fucked.

Lol.

Can't wait to see this game throughout these quarters, very exciting.

Edited by Lidskjalf

Highlights for next update

• More robust process for testing / delivery
  • Bow and arrow / crossbow
  • Fireplaces
  • Network optimizations
  • No spawn penalties for joining same server
  • When?

Best case: two weeks

Worst case: end of April

Fireplaces

• Can cook things!
  • Crafting fireplaces
  • Upgrading them to ovens

Respawning Loot Prototype

• World divided into quadrants
  • Quad resets when empty X time
  • Includes resetting doors
  • Door state randomly set on world start

Accelerated Time

• Removed as part of lag / desync fix
  • Comfigurable by servers admins
  • Up to 64x faster day / night cycle
  • Rules for Hardcore t.b.d.

Throwable Items

• Everything that can be held in hand
  • Different materials react differently
  • Uses "Bullet" physics SDk
  • Calculated on server

Player Controls

• Mouse Acceleration issues
  • Dexterity
  • Freelook
  • Physics based movement
  • Jumping considered

So,,,today is the day of worst case. ;)

• Like 2

And so?

Rocket said that the next update to stable will probably be at the end of May. As usual, they can change decision.

Anyway, we must wait for new things on experimenal before that.

Clearly, some things didn't made it this month.

I'm guessing we're at the most worst extreme case then? When a child doesn't do homework once or twice it's forgiveable, but when said child lies and more than frequently doesn't do homework, the child is to blame.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not sure where to look, but I'm sure they have posts about current releases.  I'd like to know the version they're on currently.  Is there a thread about the current release of the Stable game?

Well, I'm not sure where to look, but I'm sure they have posts about current releases.  I'd like to know the version they're on currently.  Is there a thread about the current release of the Stable game?

There is a subforum that is for Stable info, news and the stickied thread is about the current version http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/forum/137-stable-patch-discussion/. We are currently on .44 on the Stable release. Likewise there is also a subforum for Experimental.

Edited by haknslash