SmashT

Do Zombies Dream Of A Good Nights Sleep? (Zombie feedback)

DayZ is a realistic simulator game right?.....    Just to be clear on one key thing: Sick people don´t run faster than people who is not sick. Zombies are rotting dead people, not mutants.         Make them slower and put them in hordes.      Oh and I want more of them

This is take directly from the mod and I don't see the standalone differing from the story line.

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

• Like 1

the zombies in the latest stable build are shit! they are too weak!

• Like 1

I DON'T WANT TO DEFEND THE CURRENT ZOMBIES. I acknowledge they are piece of shit. They spawn directly at you, in sight of you, on top of you. The run and lag around like in the mod. The only thing is...they don't twitch around like an epileptic anymore. But given the current low number how else will you make them a threat. AND Zeds in the mod HAD been runners, so why expect it to be otherwise here? God, I would like to see 5x more of them, but made actually to work like they should: Not being able to see through house's walls, let alone run through them. Not trigger on you when you are more than 100 m away, from the horizon. Making sneaking around them (at least in the beginning where you have no axe) a must. But alas, the say it is Alpha. Will it EVER be Beta? Or final? We will see.

edit: Friggin' Zombie ate my leather jacket!! dafuq?? read your posts about it, and it happened to me, too. They seem to be damaging ONLY the chestpieces, rucksack, and jacket. My pants only went to worn after probably 10 Zed-hits...it has been stated that they now mostly attack the chest area, though. Keep your stuffs in yo pants, bro!

It's fine if it's only till they add more. But common sense tells me they will be lazy and keep them like this, it's less work for them, and people on this forum are to blind to see it. 

Zombies is the current patch are WAY too fast, damaging, can see from an unrealistic distance.

Also, any zombie in real life cannot tear your shirt/coat to shreds in 1 scratch.

Please put in a mix of slow and fast zombies, as just having fast ones is extremely unbalanced.

The question I have is: In a real-world scenario would a rotting corpse run faster than a living & breathing human being?

• Like 1

Mostly I like the new Zombies. You can run away from them and it s still easy to fight them. But there are still some issues left.

In short terms:

1. view distance and spotting through objects means no stealth tactics possible
  2. They hit you when you stand in theyre back
  3. running through obstacles, mostly no stair climbing
  4. missing balancing of melee weapons, one handed are practically useless, most two handed no fun at all

The view distance is a problem. Sometimes you here a distant cry, look around to spot nothing at all `till the zombie runs right through a building. This leads to the next well known problem. Mostly they just run through everything except yourself. But sometimes they even make long ways around a fence and frequently they can climb stairs. So a scarce progress can be noted.

You best fight them without firing guns and drawing more. But the melee weapons aren`t balanced yet. One-handed weapons don`t make much more damage than your bare fists which makes some sense if you fight with a can opener but a machete does massive damage to a human body.

Most two handed weapons neither cause much damage. For most of them it `s unpredictable how often you have to hit to bring the zombie down.Tere are differences. A Shovel is crab. A baseball bat is ok. With splitting axe, farming hoe and pitchfork you need two strikes sometimes you got a lucky one. The fire fighter axe is the winner. Zombies always are a one-hit.

The`re very fast indeed. So when you don `t have a melee weapon you have to run and to loot, to run and to loot... As some of them - not all - are faster than you are, you can`t run straight away. You have to zig-zag so they can ´t hit you in the back.

For all those who are not able to fight them you just have to practice. I often watched newbies just standing there and take a box fight.

Don`t you ever get hit. So you move, you hit, you move...and so on. You hit before they do and slide sideways. With a fire fighter axe a good timing is enough.

I never fight them without a weapon or a one handed. Takes too much time and it s hard not to get hit to bleeding in the process. Last time I tried the new sickle. After striking about 20 times switched to the farming hoe and finished it.

Somehow it s fun to fight half a dozen with a baseball bat and let them run after you in circles. But it s hard work too. So I don´t want to do it for hours. With a better weapon it s easy to hack a path through Cherno. After all the new zombies make the experience more intense.

The question I have is: In a real-world scenario would a rotting corpse run faster than a living & breathing human being?

Depends on the Zombies. Those in "28 hours later" aren´t dead just mindless and aggressive caused by a virus. So theyre very fast. The Walkers/Biters in "The Walking Dead" are. So they`re very slow and clumpsy. Some are weak and in winter they even get frozen so they can`t move at all. But all this is fiction and not reallistic at all. So you can design them to your whishes.

Real zombies aren´t dead. They just suffer Apparent Dead caused by a neurotoxin used by voodoo-priests in central-africa and the caribean sea. They awake from it but it causes severe brain damage. They just stumble around anymore. Voila a Zombie. Huh!

Pretty much just a reiteration of what many have said but its a feedback thread so...

I like the speed and damage they do now, got caught with a couple of hits and ended up withy a broken arm bleeding out. Cool, IMHO they should be a threat that if swarming requires gunshots as you retreat, dancing with the axe is fine if a little risky with 2-3 but they need a level of danger, before now they were a minor irritation now they pose a threat.

My main issues are though the clipping and aggro'ing causes, to have beefed up their aggression and damage output before sorting out the clipping issue seems to be, putting it politely, a very strange decision. This is nothing to do with being Alpha, this is to do with not planning and implementing updates in a logical fashion. We all want more zombies and zombies that in varying degree's to personal opinion are more dangerous, the majority I'd say are willing and ready for the back and forth as a sweet spot is found but shouldn't the first aim be to get actual working zombies? How is it a good idea to start artificially increasing numbers and 'hardness' while they are ghosting through structures with x-ray vision and hitting from 15 feet away or with their back turned, surely these are fundamental issues with the basic workings and should be in the highest priority bracket to be looked at?

Minor issues are the way they spawn just feels wrong and breaks immersion when its in front of your face. The damage that they do to equipment and to a lesser degree clothing, I can understand clothing getting damaged quickly to an extent although one shot ruined is a bit excessive I think but weapons and tinned food need to be more robust, I'm not about to try but I'd guess punching an M4 wouldn't do too much damage to it. Am also not keen on the varying 'stop running' animation causes when changing weapons, with 3-4 zombies on you that can be pretty disastrous. Finally loading into attacks is also pretty annoying, joining a server and being attacked before you can even move is just bad when you have made the effort to log out somewhere safe, its really poor on the part of the game and should be sorted but that said these are minor issues and the type of problems that should be expected in Alpha and I'm sure it will be sorted.

Pepper? .22 pistol? Great. How we played without them...

So:

Zombies are way OP now.

Please delay the spawn time after they died. 5-10 minute maybe

The game is not fun for me right now.

I will not play until fix them.

Is experimental and stable currently the same again? I have experimental installed...

This last hour playing was the best ever. The zeds start not to run through houses EDIT - I mean walls. Had one waiting at the window at a corner pub. When I moved into the direction of the door, it also went there and come through the door. It was great! I was supprised though at how few actually attacked me. I can only guess that their sight was limited. Does rain impair their senses? Whatever you guys did, it was a monumental leap in gameplay to be ablte to sneak around them and see them actually coming through (some) doors. One even ran up to the first floot of the police station, don't know if they did that before.

Edited by bautschi

Was this zombie update really the most important thing right now?

The game is not fun at all after this. Why would anyone bother to pick up a melee weapon to kill zombies if they immediately respawn in your face? Farming hoe and pitchfork...I really don't know how I survived without these... You should delete all melee weapons from the game and replace them with can openers, those at least have some purpose. There is no such thing as clearing a town from zombies anymore so why bother going there anyway?

If I wanted to play a multiplayer game to kill zombies 24/7, I had plenty other choices than DayZ...this game should be about surviving, but right now surviving became the last thing.

Their speed is just one thing, it's not that bad (although they could be way slower), but along with the other things people alredy mentioned here, the game just got much worse.

Try to balance:

- line of sight

- speed

- direction of attack

Respawn:

- if you insist on respawning in an area close to where they were killed, make it delayed (a few minutes would be enough)

- or there could be zombie spawn areas outside residental zones (fields, forests...etc). There could be plenty of Z's wandering around in these areas , and if anyone comes nearby, some of them would leave the zone to hunt you down and stop when they lost your track. Then if they got killed, they respawn in a Z spawn area.

Waiting impatiently for the next (hopefully better) patch...
Edited by thegroover
  • Like 1

Zombies are great right now in my opinion... I hadn't had much issue until just now I where I ha decided to carry two weapons and I couldn't really outrun them. I ended up having to watch behind me and dodge to the side when they did their death leap, or I'd get hit. At one point I had 7 chasing me.

There are some issues, of course...

At the same time I had a parade going on I was with my friend on teamspeak. He was down in Elektro talking to some other guy in a house, pretty much having a standoff. Out of nowhere, a zombie leapt at him through a wall and one-shot him. Full health and everything. He didn't even have a chance to move.

Personally, I like that they actually pose more of an issue now than ever, but they shouldn't be this powerful until the pathing issues are worked out and they actually have to go in through doors to get into buildings.

I'm fine with one hit making you bleed and them running the same speed, but there has to be a way to get away from them without killing them first, other than running upstairs and letting them glitch through the stairs below you.

If they can follow basic parameters of not going through walls and closed doors, then not shutting the door and just running upstairs should still be an issue because they will actually make contact with the floor and chase you upstairs as well.

Just my 2 cents

This is take directly from the mod and I don't see the standalone differing from the story line.

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

There are no unknown disease that would make you run faster than anybody else. There are also no unknown disease that suddenly will make you grow 2 meters.    Keep it real, yo.

Edited by Mastho

There are no unknown disease that would make you run faster than anybody else. There are also no unknown disease that suddenly will make you grow 2 meters.    Keep it real, yo.

I'm curious - how can you be so sure of the effects of unknown diseases?

I'm curious - how can you be so sure of the effects of unknown diseases?

Because i had all of them.      No seriously you get my point....   A disease that gives people special super powers just dont seem like common sence to me :P

• Like 1

Just finally got around to logging in for the first time since new zombie super speed patch (too much working) and all I have to say is ....

Are you people crying about the zombies being to hard serious? I had only an axe and killed probably 35 of them and only started bleeding once after like the 28th one. Most of the time they just stand there and never even aggro to you (the already spawned ones). I was spawning them getting into fights with like 3-4 insta-run to you ones and never even getting hit.

Also had no problem looting every single building in a town while doing it.

Edited by Weedz
  • Like 1

It's good that they increased zombie numbers, but they did what I really hoped for they would not do: Increase zombie danger BEFORE they fixed zombie pathfinding, phasing through walls, damage etc...That's a major problem to me...I can understand you want to implement community feedback and a lot of that feedback was "MORE ZOMBIES" and I stand 100% behind that, but FIX THEM FIRST!! (definetly gonna get shit for that) To me the only real problem with the zombies was the phasing through objects if they would've fixed that before this build it would be fine but no... --"

Also, I do not like the fact of zombies running faster than you or lunging at you like a jaguar. I can agree to zombies having an 'aggro status' but I'd like them to just run at a rate in which players can outrun them. Also zombies trying to bite or even grabbing humans would be very cool features

Personally it would be ideal if the zombies would be like the ones from The Walking Dead but I guess that's not gonna happen... :/

• Like 1

Tested today the patch for the first time. No difference for me. I probably wouldn't notice a difference if it wasn't in the patch notes.

I haven't shot a gun so we will see how that goes when I find one.

Edited by St. Jimmy
  • Like 1

Zombies is the current patch are WAY too fast, damaging, can see from an unrealistic distance.

Also, any zombie in real life cannot tear your shirt/coat to shreds in 1 scratch.

Please put in a mix of slow and fast zombies, as just having fast ones is extremely unbalanced.

"In a real-world scenario"... really? corpses wouldn't be running or walking or attempting to eat your flesh at all but being fictitious I think they can do whatever they want. But these aren't rotting corpses. They're people with an infection similar to "The Rage" even.

On another note, why are there so many players who are so ignorant and negative. They claim they know exactly what's going on by stating the devs won't do anything to update the game and cry like little children because they don't like the current state of teh game, when currently the game is being actively updated very often, it's freaking early release and the devs are so communicative with the community and laying out their plans. They WILL add more zombies, Dean has said so himself. They WILL increase the smoothness of this game, Dean has said so himself. Dean laid out the roadmap during the rezzed talk and it was awesome!

• Like 3

Only major problem, since this is all still a wip, I see is that firing a weapon alerts to your physical character and position and not the location of the discharged weapon. I tested it a few times to see if I was just being blindsided by the alerted zombies but no. Fire a round off, put your weapon away, sprint away, and the zombie will track your position well after the audible gunshot prior to even being visibile. I tested this around some hills and less populated locations where I had a clear LOS and always got the same result, tracked via "magic" to my new location. On some tests the zombie would give chase to my position even while I continued to egress but would halt and being meandering upon stopping and facing the zombie, distance was 25-75m. I found that to happen frequently too.

Really like the changes to the zombies. A little work on respawning, fixing the ghosting, and increasing their numbers would be awesome!

The new Zombie situation is a step in the right direction certainly. Spawning in your LOS is rubbish though. Re/Spawning right by you is also rubbish (and no, I didn't use a firearm). In fact, I just don't like the spawning mechanic at all. If there are tons of Zombies, then there should be tons of Zombies. If not, then they shouldn't just appear. Major, major immersion breaker.

The only other thing (except the obvious clipping) is the Zombies vision or whatever it is they trigger on. They can see for MILES! :D Which is actually kind of fine, unless they've just magically appeared half a kilometer behind me in the area I've just cleared out. 

I can't decide if I like or dislike their endurance yet though, I'll decide once the spawning issues are sorted. 

I would kill for shamblers.

Fast zombies suck.

Stamina system plus tons of slow zombies would be frightening.

• Like 3

currently confused.

-> I had installed experiental and was playing in svetloyarsk on a public hive server yesterday:

zeds were not really plentiful and I managed not to be in real trouble. I was on a server where a cheater killed me later.

-> changed to a different server because of the cheater and installed stable in steam:

more zeds, way more respawning and attacking again when killing zeds in melee, was often in melee agains 2 or 3.

Why the difference? What was different on my end:

- had experimental installed first, then stable

- first Svetlojarsk, now Berezino

- different servers, first one with a cheater, is it possible they changed things on the server side?

The most obvious answer is probably that Svetlojarsk has a lower zed population, but at the offchance that that is not the case, I decided to post this. It might also explain why some people thing zeds are still no trouble at all and others think they are really hard now without a good melee weapon.

Oh, I also got onehitted by a zed with a jumping attack in Svetlojarks once. If servers might not all really be the same due to manipulation (cheater server?), that might also be relevant. I wrote about that at some earlier post and I was really quite healthy at the time. Notjust blood, also health.

Edited by bautschi

The major problems I have with zombies is:

1. They walk through walls
  2. They spawn 100m from you
  3. THEY SEE YOU ACROSS THE MAP

I kid you not, I would never shoot a gun for a zombie but after I kill one I literally see one sprinting to me from across this giant field. I would be crouch walking and all of a sudden every single zombie in the airfield is after me it's ridiculous.

More zombies, please. The spawn points are wrong for them, though. Can you affix their spawns to buildings, dense tree growth, etc?