nl

Don't want to give in to the dark side...

Hi all, I'm from The Netherlands and have been playing DAYZ SA for about a week now with no prior experience in ARMA.

Enjoying the mod very much even if I died a few times at the hands of more experienced players. But just now I lost a caracter I had kept alive for 4 days. I had great gear and weapons and kept alive mostly by avoiding other players.

Because there was not really much more to do gear wise I decided to go to the East coast to help out new spawns with food, drink and protection - even though I'm still a noob in this game.

I feel more attracted to a 'hero' role than being a bandit. But...with the very first spawner I tried to help I almost immediately got shot in the back (not his fault, he was shocked too). Since it's not the first time I got shot on sight I feel an urge to become a bandit myself and shoot first and ask questions later, but I don't really want to because a more helpful playstyle is more interesting I think. If I just want to shoot everybody I would play a different game.

Anyhow, I should probably find a group or some buddies to play the game with, turns out it's a bad idea to be a hero when you are alone, I need someone to cover my back.

I'm very pleased the developers want to focus more on the survival aspect of the game and can't wait for them to be implemented. Would be cool if you could live in the woods drinking the water from ponds (after cooking) and hunting / gathering for your food. Only to go to towns for human interaction once you get lonely :)

I hope the friendly players will be more prevalent in this game, so far it seems to be about 50-50%

• Like 4

Never try to be an hero and play alone , i've done this mistake thousand times , like today , started helping 2 fresh spawns , got attacked by 3 bandits ( took them down alone  B) ) and then i simply got killed by one of the fresh spawns that i was protecting ( he took the rifle from a bandit that i killed ) . Never play the hero alone !  ;)

Its only a matter of time, my friend.

emperor.jpeg

Well you know how it ended for that one right?? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

Hello there

There are a limited number of things to do in game after a certain time especially once you are geared up and able to survive what the environment can throw at you.

But then it's "imagination time!"

Being a KoSer takes no imagination whatsoever but that doesnt mean you cant be a bandit, just try being a constructive one. Feeding a toon bleach or executing them is IMHO unoriginal and closed ended. If you do become a bandit why not make the whole encounter more memorable? ie give em a fair (small) chance to escape? "accidently" leave some useful gear on them. That makes things much more tense and adds to the experience for both of you.

Just dont go down the lazy "hurr durr" route IMHO

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 9

Since it's not the first time I got shot on sight I feel an urge to become a bandit myself and shoot first and ask questions later, but I don't really want to because a more helpful playstyle is more interesting I think. If I just want to shoot everybody I would play a different game.

I wish there were more people who think like this.

For these sentences you got my respect...AND even better for you, my  :beans: .

Use them wisely!

• Like 2

You're on the right track, don't let the KoSers get you down. Orlok is absolutely right that killing everyone is pretty unimaginative and pretty lame, I'll take it a step further and say it's pretty cowardly as well. Remember, the path to righteousness is not an easy one.

Thanks for all the response so far! Meanwhile I got killed again :) but I blame myself for running into a building "assuming" no one was there.

I already had some invitations to some groups which is great! Please allow me some time to figure out what kind of 'clan' and style would suit me best.

Your reactions sure motivated me to keep being a "social" player, thanks!

there is 2 type of player

alive player :D

dead player :(

light side or dark side don't matter nothing  :huh:

choose life side :thumbsup:  ;)

• Like 3

I'm pretty mixed about KoSing. e.g If I have a weapon and I'm in a small/town or in between towns and I see someone unarmed or with a melee weapon, I'll leave it be unless they get too close. If I am somewhere like Balota or NWAF and I see someone I will kill them if I get the chance. Whether they are armed or not (armed because they are a threat and unarmed because there's a chance they will find a weapon and become a threat).

When my group run into players if we've got the upper hand we just hold them up, ask them if they need anything (help ect...) and then tell them to run in a direction. if they stop or look back they're dead. If they have the upper hand... depends on our mood and their attitude.

When I'm alone I cuff em and question them (what do you need ect...) the cuffs are for my safety. If they have a weapon I'll take it, bag their head and then drop it on the ground nearby and run.

Killing is too easy IMO. Getting through interactions without death on anyone's side is hard mode.

• Like 2

Well you know how it ended for that one right?? :rolleyes:

Yea, killed about one of those "lemme help the spawns with bean" types. Pphhpptthh.

if you want to be a "Hero" or "bandit hunter" or what ever I think you should accept death as part of that, but don't take death as losing (tho you should learn from it)

I think the biggest thing is defining (or redefining) what you consider winning, if K/D (killing more than you die) is what you define as "Winning" than yes KoS would be the most logical way, if it's surviving than just avoid everyone (you'll live longer than even those KoS people, but it IMO would be pretty boring), if helping others is what you count as winning forget about the deaths (not saying don't learn from it) and count helping others as winning.

myself I have a kind of mixed playstyle, my current goal is to explore (I'm new to the map), survive, and have a good time and try to add to the enjoyment of others.

I make contact with players (I don't go looking for them at "hot spots") when I feel it's safe, normally when I do I offer them what ever they want of my gear (no need to have the feel they need to rob or kill me, I have nothing that's worth starting over back at the coast for).

I guess what I'm getting at is play how you want to, be the change you want to see.

don't like KoS? don't KoS. don't like bandits? don't steal. don't like boring people? don't be boring. don't like "white knights" don't be one.

Logged about 50 hours now on SA. To my knowledge I have yet to kill someone. It's a great OP. try a different game if you just want a shootout. For me it's always the journey. Find that first fire-axe. Is there a slightly quicker way to balotta. Will there be cap'n crunch left in the shop. Personally when I get all geared up I'm usually to scared of losing everything again to actually get any real heroing done.

Logged about 50 hours now on SA. To my knowledge I have yet to kill someone. It's a great OP. try a different game if you just want a shootout. For me it's always the journey. Find that first fire-axe. Is there a slightly quicker way to balotta. Will there be cap'n crunch left in the shop. Personally when I get all geared up I'm usually to scared of losing everything again to actually get any real heroing done.

So it sounds like you are either running at top speed away from people, or hiding in every housing nook, or both. This style of gameplay will get very boring one day for you. I've been there, done that.

You haven't experienced dying a lot in this game, you can't come to turns with the next style of game play that hits you. You're still hiding/being super paranoid, which honestly, is ok- it just bores me to tears. Most players will get bored with this.

Once your normal players starts joining in with people, the stupid term being a "hero"- he will die a lot. A LOT. Why? Because most players KOS and if they dont have a gun, they will punch you on sight. So you've spent 2 hours gearing up, fully weaponed out, all to hand out cans of beans in a highly dense population area (thinking you are doing your good deed of the day), and then c-c-c-crack youre dead. This will happen 99% of the time. So you're either a fool, or you love to farm for loot, or both.

So to the OP- I get it. You either try to do "good" or you trusted someone, all to die. It gets annoying. For me when I see a player, or when they see me, it usually ends in a gun battle. I dont run at them yelling friendly, or wave at them, or any other stupid thing I can do, I usually prepare because it always leads to a gun battle. I've been KOS'ed, punched out by a bambi, didnt shoot at someone who cried they were friendly and then shot me when I wasn't looking, etc etc, blah blah, the pity stories go on and on. I may not KOS everyone, but if I feel they are a threat, I shoot first and ask questions later. This isn't cowardly or chickenshit- its what I do to survive.  I probably also farm less than most players because I don't run around with a IM A HERO banner on my chest giving out cans of beans to bandits who just died along the coast.

The whole pt of my post is just to say play this game any way you want. Its up to you. Nobody else. If it feels right, do it.

• Like 1

I've never had more fun in the game than with proper bandits. Being a proper bandit for me means is to use others for your own survival. Robbing them, using them as decoy, bait, or source of blood... anything. I have killed maybe 3-4 people ever (DayZ mod + standalone combined) cause it just feels stupid and boring. KoS is the dumbest way to play this game. Especially since you're paying 24€ (at the time) to play the game "the wrong" way. I realise there's no wrong way to play this, but you'll really miss alot of fun if you play like that. Even if you are a KoS type, try interacting with people now and then. The tension of approaching someone who may need help/could help you is far more rewarding than killing player after player after player.
I've been playing SA for three days now, and I've already met 5-6 friendly people and I've died 2 times. Stupid deaths, first one was running into a building at the NE AF, there was a couple of guys there, and since I don't have a mic right now I attempted to put my hands in the air. They thought I was reaching for my SKS (without ammo) and shot me unconscious. We talked (I typed) and before they were able to bring me to my feet a sniper appeared. I told them to take anything they need from me that could help them (I had tons of food and drinks, alot of Mosin ammo and some M4 ammo), and asked them to kill me if they couldn't save me. I hate the respawn button, feels like I'm quitting. That black screen saying "you're uncosncious" was the most fun I had in the SA so far!

It's almost impossible to stay alive in this game without KOS...today again I got killed for no good reason, just the other players' fear and cowardness. I was with ONE other player in a server and I was looting Balota AF. Suddenly another player enters the room (what are the odds with 2 players) and he didn't even see me and had his back towards me. I open the speak channel and tell him "hey man I'm behind you with no weapon out so don't shoot me please". He turns around and kills me with one shot. What am I supposed to do but shoot another player in the back as soon as I see him/her? So far in this game I met one friendly armed player, all others just want to kill on sight...

Ah well, end of rant, nothing we can do at this stage. Just had to get rid of this energy. For now I will keep trying to be a friendly player.

My suggestion, OP, is just learn to cope with item loss.  Better yet, learn to love looting.  That way, death, while still frustrating (or down right rage inducing) will hit you then leave you quick.  Once you get that down you can do anything and everything.  Even being the hero by yourself! 

"Here, have this apple!  You need a backpack?  I can show you where I saw one.  Follow me!"

- Oh, thanks mate!  After I eat your apple I'm going to punch you in the back of the head a few times and just take your stuff.

Happens a lot.  But it's cool.

I've seen a lot of parodies of the Dark Night's quote, but the most accurate for DayZ is this:

You either die, or live long enough to die.

Because in DayZ, you're gonna die.

Yes I do enjoy looting but I would also like to have some cool experiences with other players and there are not many to be had if you're playing alone and not in a group.

Getting killed is already much less frustrating then in the beginning :)