OrLoK

Arma3 Third person fix mod...thoughts?

Just add a Line of sight sistem, as a third server option, and everyone will be happy. 

There ya go friend, wasn't so hard.

Edited by Bororm

That would be absolutely perfect however Rocket has said he does not like that idea due to people popping in and out of existence.

That could be fixed by changing the cameras position + incorporating the line of sight system.

How does it make sense that you can see the terrain but not the players/objects in said terrain?

I don't actually care, if that was the choice for a 3rd server option great, but one of the common complaints against 3PP I see is that it's not "realistic" and a "floating magic eyeball."  This still represents a "floating magic eyeball" just one that "magically" can't see players.

Edited by Bororm

After all the bickering and complaining about 3pp players using the unrealistic camera option to gain an unfair advantage and peek over and around cover I have finally found the perfect solution that will keep both sides happy and requires very little work from the devs.

The solution is to make the option to switch between 3pp and 1pp a menu option.

Simply forcing people to go into their options menu and go through a few screens in order to switch their perspective would go a long way to stopping people from sitting on a rooftops just waiting for people while in complete safety.

That would actually benefit campers.

How does it make sense that you can see the terrain but not the players/objects in said terrain?

I don't actually care, if that was the choice for a 3rd server option great, but one of the common complaints against 3PP I see is that it's not "realistic" and a "floating magic eyeball."  This still represents a "floating magic eyeball" just one that "magically" can't see players.

Then put a blur filter on all terrain or heck that cannot be visible.

Being able to see terrain but not players in 3pp makes as much sense as rendering and seeing players even when prone and behind a 3 foot wall.

The only difference now is that the game play benefits greatly from the magic floating eyeball not rendering players.

Physics is not an issue here, both players are operating under the same rules.

It's entirely the issue.  In 3PP, Player 1's magic eyeball can see over a wall/around corners because of his proximity, 10m away, Player 2's can't.  Same rules, different result.  Because parallax.  

Science wins; your argument is not only invalid, but provably so.  

All you have left is arguing semantics and nitpicking.  

Enjoy.

It's entirely the issue.  In 3PP, Player 1's magic eyeball can see over a wall/around corners because of his proximity, 10m away, Player 2's can't.  Same rules, different result.  Because parallax.  

Science wins; your argument is not only invalid, but provably so.  

All you have left is arguing semantics and nitpicking.  

Enjoy.

My argument has never been that one player doesn't have an advantage, my argument is that he has an advantage due to his positioning.  The same thing you are saying.

The resulting gameplay is different from 1PP, but it isn't inherently unfair in the sense that either player is given access to the same positions and tools.  To put it another way, the fight is unfair, not the game.

Not every encounter is meant to be fair, just as I have an unfair advantage in my example on a first person scenario.  I have better visibility due to my positioning than those I am sniping down on.

So no, you have not proven my argument wrong as my argument was never about every situation being fair, my argument has always been that the game itself is fair because once again, everyone has access to the same things, whether those be 3rd person cameras, or the best positions in which to use it.

Enjoy.

Edited by Bororm

Then put a blur filter on all terrain or heck that cannot be visible.

Being able to see terrain but not players in 3pp makes as much sense as rendering and seeing players even when prone and behind a 3 foot wall.

The only difference now is that the game play benefits greatly from the magic floating eyeball not rendering players.

In the context of let's pretend that the current 3PP doesn't exist.  That we're just going with your example of having third person but not being able to see anything but terrain.  What's the benefit over first person.

Edited by Bororm

I like playing on 3pp servers.

I like playing on 1pp servers.

I would not like to see either removed.

Fuck off telling people how they should be playing when both play styles are catered for.

• Like 3

Lol at the amount of people desperately defending the blatant cheating that is 3p corner peeking...

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Edited by FrostDMG
  • Like 1

Lol at the amount of people desperately defending the blatant cheating that is 3p corner peeking...

Ha. Ha. Ha.

How is it cheating?  Or do you also not want to contribute anything besides tired illogical rhetoric?

It is built into 3 arma games and the standalone with no alterations, so it would appear to be very intentional.

Edited by Bororm

The solution is to make the option to switch between 3pp and 1pp a menu option.

I haven't got time to read everyone's posts on this but I have a macro keyboard so could setup a macro to press esc, go to options, change to 1pp or 3pp and resume game.  I don't know how many people use gaming keyboards but they could all do the same.  Even if these keyboards didn't exist I don't actually see what the point to all of this is?  In 3pp mode people will still be looking unnaturally around corners etc.  So this won't prevent that?

How is it cheating?  Or do you also not want to contribute anything besides tired illogical rhetoric?

It is built into 3 arma games and the standalone with no alterations, so it would appear to be very intentional.

Well, you can sit behind a corner and watch what someone else's doing, waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack, without ever exposing your position. 3p was pretty necessary for vehicle because how crappy the FOV is and the mirrors didn't work in <Arma 3...

I haven't got time to read everyone's posts on this but I have a macro keyboard so could setup a macro to press esc, go to options, change to 1pp or 3pp and resume game.  I don't know how many people use gaming keyboards but they could all do the same.  Even if these keyboards didn't exist I don't actually see what the point to all of this is?  In 3pp mode people will still be looking unnaturally around corners etc.  So this won't prevent that?

You could probably make that macro with something like AutoHotkey tbh.

I still hope that rocket and his team would've pushed the red button before the release. There wouldn't be any of these topics, no community split and no "fix" needed. Being able to watch how zombies move other side of the wall or corner without exposing yourself is pretty much game breaking in a hardcore survival game.

I say no compromise. Either remove it from the game or let it be. Removing is pretty much ruled out because it's too late...

Edited by St. Jimmy

That would be ignoring the problem completely.

The problem has to be addressed eventually.

If people gave real world issues so much concern then the world would be a better place.

Play hardcore or don't, it's really not a big deal lol.

Third hive where we twist, tweak and fix, untill both sides are happy.

What? The current system is fine. Hardcore servers allow people who dislike 3PP to play in first person and avoid the cheap camera angle. While regular servers allow people who like 3PP to play in 3PP. I'm completely unsure as to why this is even an issue. They already have a perfect system for it. Anything else will be convoluted and unnecessary.

• Like 1

2 simple questions.....

If you don't like 3rd why are you playing on 3rd enabled servers?

If you prefer first why are you not going to your designated area and enjoying it.....instead of coming on all the time saying its a crutch and needs fixing?

Thers an easy fix....join a hardcore server if you are that scared of people wall peeking your ass, the rest of us man up and fight back! grrrrr :)

• Like 2

I like looking at my character...

I suggested this approach a while back, and it has some major pitfalls. The issue doesn't have a simple solution, which is why they need to address the problem with a complex and multivalent solution (i.e. a lowering of the third-person camera, and occlusion blurring).

this is such a tired fucking topic. my only wish is that rocket or one of the devs would step in and conclusively say that 3PP is staying as it is and the 1PP elitists need to HTFU and play on 1PP servers because nothing is changing.

• Like 1

Third person won't be much of an advantage when they fix how easy guns are to aim and remove that white dot for shooting.

Yes you will be able to look round corners but you'll still just be shooting in the middle of the screen with no real accuracy if you don't switch to first person.

When you go in to a building in 3rd too the camera stays outside the building as you're going in the door, meaning you can only see the outside walls.

So someone in your perspective that you would easily see in 1st could just shoot you because all you see are those outside walls for that couple of seconds.

So it's not without it's disadvantages.

1st sucks it's not even realistic anyway you can't quickly turn your head while playing the game without buying some stupid gadget, IRL I can run forward while looking around me in a few directions. In DayZ I have to press several buttons to do so, with fingers I'll need if some asshole in a bush just outside the FOV decides to shoot me.

If you move your mouse from left to right you spin round in circles, there is no turning round feet animation so it's instant. Meaning in 1st you have to spin round on the spot to check your surroundings, super realistic. Or have to press buttons like I said which is similarly stupid.

They'll probably add animations so you can't just turn round instantly at some point meaning 1st will leave you completely undefended from behind while turning.

Looong story short, neither is better. Play on 1st person only servers or don't.

Do you get non hardcore 1st person servers? If not they should be added, same with third person only then people can do whatever they want.

1st sucks it's not even realistic anyway you can't quickly turn your head while playing the game without buying some stupid gadget, IRL I can run forward while looking around me in a few directions. In DayZ I have to press several buttons to do so, with fingers I'll need if some asshole in a bush just outside the FOV decides to shoot me.

If you move your mouse from left to right you spin round in circles, there is no turning round feet animation so it's instant. Meaning in 1st you have to spin round on the spot to check your surroundings, super realistic. Or have to press buttons like I said which is similarly stupid.

They'll probably add animations so you can't just turn round instantly at some point meaning 1st will leave you completely undefended from behind while turning.

What are you talking about? Buying a gadget to look around? What buttons are you pressing? You realise that if you hold down the Alt key or double-tap it you can move your character's head, right? Movement is the same in 3pp as 1pp - the only difference is that in 3pp you can look over walls without exposing yourself.

If they introduce occlusion in 3pp to stop people from peeking round walls then I'll probably play 3pp again. Until then I'll stick with hardcore.

Theres only one solution in my opinion.

Play on Hardcore.

Ive always hated 3pp, in 9/10 games and i cant see any change made to DayZ, that would make 3pp a good choice for me.
This is my personal opinion ofc, so some of you might not agree, but 3pp in Arma/DayZ was never a good thing imho, and i have always avoided it at all costs.

I can see the need to create something to stop people from peeking over walls and having unrealistic vision, but i will never play on the regular HIVE anyway.

It's pretty much impossible to sneak up on someone camping in a building with 3PP, it gives you all the advantage with no risks. It's stupid, it's pointless and it needs to go. Don't give me the bullshit you want to see your character, in all his leet gear. That's just shit. 3PP damages the whole "Hardcore survival" aspect. It gives you a wider FoV, allows you to see over objects you shouldn't. It removes almost all the tension in the game, that's an awful thing for a game that's considered "Horror" 

It always seems like the 3PP crowd has no legs to stand on about this topic. Tell me how 3PP helps promote fair gameplay. It doesn't.

TBH now that theres options neither side has a freaking leg to stand on. thats like saying the people who played on 9999999 vehicle servers killed dayZ. no they didnt. they played a mod/server that appealed to them. some people have it in thier narrowminded little brains that anyone and everyone should be forced into one setup, and any play styles the dont like snuffed out by skewed game mechanics.