Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

So he's already opting to back off a game that most probably won't be finished and definitely not polished by the end of this year? 

So, I suppose he grabbed enough money by now. Wow. Can't say how much I am disappointed by this. Because I laid big hopes into DayZ becoming a formidable game. I must say I lost a big share of this.

After all DayZ is his baby. It just seems bloody wrong to leave it before it might have reached maturity.

I always laid trust into Dean to have the will and endurance to finish what he has started. Seems like he hasn't. 

If he really leaves DayZ before it's f**ing done...just...wow. Bad style.

It just seems bloody wrong to leave it before it might have reached maturity.

You have the quote for this, or is this your fantasy?

Edited by NoCheats

So

So dean hall is now prioritizing mod support so the mod community can finish what he couldnt? Wow this is basically the nail in the coffin.. This is basically him admitting that no more development to standalone is going to come from his hands.. 

Than why even charge $30 for standalone when the free mod was working fine in the first place? Seems like a get rich quick scheme.. I think steam should start issuing mass refunds and dean hall should be arrested for fraud

I wonder how much "volunteer" work you guys ever done in your life INCLUDING in the games industry.

Seen way worse situation than this, you just never heard about them because they never got to be released. Now that is a big problem.

No matter what you write or say or cry or whine or bash the man or judge the character nothing will change anything overnight. You simply make yourselves look vulgar and complete pure trash intellects.

You guys acting like you never ever did any alpha stages before. And before you reply with a bad tone, I personally couldn't care more about the person Mr. Hall is, but the product yes I care, it gives me hope for future of PC gaming and open world projects. The industry is not blind nor deaf.

Those 29€ bought me access to the inner works and work the idea through. I'm fine with having all the modding tools sooner than later.

DayZ SA set the next years aim for what many players want - sandbox, open, non mechanized player interactions.

At least in that we will all benefit from, when other studios start to do their own projects based on those premises.

BI will go through with DayZ SA, that is my belief, but not completely as Mr. Hall envisioned it. That is all.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan

Gotta respect Rocket for duking it out on Reddit at least trying to kick some context into their heads.

Better man than me.

You have the quote for this, or is this your fantasy?

I'm taking guesses because the lead designer and inventor of dayz just stated that he will retire from it. Apparently he's getting disappointed/bored/whatever to it. to veil that fact he talks about being home-sick, over critisizing and open to the community. yeah thx. just finish your game and bail out afterwards, if you please. if he can't believe in his own product how could I? This alpha success was on a huge part founded on he trust that Dean will believe in what he does, he knows what he does and he will finish dayz. now when will dayz be finished? have a guess...

do you really believe that a game will ever be polished after this has been anounced during bloody alpha? :)

Gotta respect Rocket for duking it out on Reddit at least trying to kick some context into their heads.

Better man than me.

well he's just trying to calm down the shitstorm that is rolling in. Consequences of announcing "things" that should better be unheard by the majority of the DayZ com. thought he knew that by now. it's not about being a good or bad guy. si tacuisses...

I'm taking guesses because the lead designer and inventor of dayz just stated that he will retire from it. Apparently he's getting disappointed/bored/whatever to it. to veil that fact he talks about being home-sick, over critisizing and open to the community. yeah thx. just finish your game and bail out afterwards, if you please. if he can't believe in his own product how could I? This alpha success was on a huge part founded on he trust that Dean will believe in what he does, he knows what he does and he will finish dayz. now when will dayz be finished? have a guess...

do you really believe that a game will ever be polished after this has been anounced during bloody alpha? :)

...you DO realize he said the same thing in June (or was it july?) 2013?

No?

Well maybe because there was no website publishing a major article about it with a catchy headline...

well he's just trying to calm down the shitstorm that is rolling in. Consequences of announcing "things" that should better be unheard by the majority of the DayZ com. thought he knew that by now. it's not about being a good or bad guy. si tacuisses...

Apparently trying to address the context was completely wasted on you, just like the fact that he already announced this eight months ago, missed your radar too. 

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 1

I'm taking guesses because the lead designer and inventor of dayz just stated that he will retire from it.

He didn't just state it. He said as much back in June:

I know it’s hard to predict, but how long do you see yourself working on DayZ?

Hall: I think right now, realistically, the next 12 months. Particularly if a console port came in—or ports, if there were changes to certain consoles. I’d say I’m probably being realistic there, to deal with that.

So, from the June perspective, he just added 6 more months to his estimate. But suddenly, because Eurogamer decided to quote just that from a four hour interview and call it an "exclusive", people are freaking out.

• Like 2

dean wrote:

"I am honestly completely perplexed as to why this has caused so much anger/hate-mail. I cannot think of a single thing I have ever done that I have not looked back on and identified the flaws. It is such a natural process of reflection for me, that I thought it was just part of general common sense.

I look back on the basic design of DayZ, and I can quite clearly identify core aspects of it that, if changed and mastered, could improve the experience. Alpha is not the time to be changing such core fundamental elements of the game. But they are things you remember and discuss with people to see if they are solvable in the future."

which things cant be done if not changing "core fundamental elements"    ?

Don't care what the man chooses to do with his personal life.

I have no reason NOT to have faith in the rest of the dev team to carry on with the project in his absence, especially when it will not be until a year or more from now.

Going to go play this game and test some shit out, and have fun, even though it is still in very early alpha.

Why should anyone give a damn? Let the man go do his thing.

• Like 4

all he said translates into "THX FOR ALL YOUR PREORDER MONEY. CYA NERDS!!!"

Some translate it this way "I guess the beta is not so far away as some think here."

Looking at the last devblog, the pre order money was a nice investment. :P

• Like 1

Remember just before Rocket climbed Mt Everest - he pretty much said if he died the SA was in good hands anyway.

Don't panic just yet.

m2t56f8.jpg

• Like 1

Bohemia develop's and sells DayZ. I contracted to assist them with this process on a yearly basis. I certainly don't get all, most, or even the large share of sales money. That money goes to the studio which is used to fund development - as it should be. This is used to hire really skilled and awesome people - it's those people who develop the game and I've been working with those talented people to realize the vision.

Hah, I was right. He's pulling stunts in public to renegotiate his deal. Good man Hall

Edited by Highlander007

Maybe I'm to naive, but I don't think he is lying here...

Me too, but you are naive to think people are better than that ^^ Most People are shit. Reading the ANY forum wich is connected to an alpha or pre access game just confirms this. Turn in the TV, the prove the people are shit ^^ Walk on the street and watch shit people =) I personally have no more faith in mankind because people are shit =)

Maybe thats because they read less, and just talk more. ^^ Misinformation, less knowledge, a little bit like the movie idiocracy.

Edited by Sloddor

Me too, but you are naive to think people are better than that ^^ Most People are shit. Reading the ANY forum wich is connected to an alpha or pre access game just confirms this.

Ah, I know I am too naive. But on the other hand...you have to believe in people, becaus eif you don't do it, they may have nobody that does.

But I know what you mean....like that one on reddit where rocket answered too (and because I ahvent quoted this one by now, I'll put it here)

How do you treat those people who have given you the ability to make that vision a reality as well as made you a very wealthy individual?

Depending on your definition of the word, I am not a very wealthy individual. While I get royalties, these do not represent a significant amount of the sales. The vast majority of the sales go back to the owner of the IP: Bohemia Interactive.

You turn your back on them and make plans to leave

I have made the following things clear:

• I intend to return to New Zealand, to stay longer in the Czech Republic will essentially mean seeking citizenship and making my life here away from my family

• I have made myself available to Bohemia as long as I am providing value to the project, however I have highlighted the importance of my role being appropriate to the project's state.

• At some point the skillset for the leader to deliver on the current state of the project may differ from the skillset I have. I have mooted that I believe this point will occur at the end of the year, Bohemia seem to larely agree with this. However, there is flexibility on both sides to see what needs to happen will.

You turn your back on them and make plans to leave

No, I did no such thing. As hurtful as your comments are to me: they completely undermine the efforts and commitments made by the large team who have been working very long hours on DayZ for some time. Saying that my departure from a lead position will not deliver on the promise is directly saying these people do not have the capability to deliver.

You call people who have legitimate concerns over wasting their money on a broken game

Say what you want about me, but the team does not deserve such hateful comments. My ego is not so big that I think the project could not carry on without me. While I believe I am useful and I contribute value as both a designer and a leader, it is unfair to think that others will not be able to meet that role. I need to balance the value to the project of me remaining with the need to be with my family and return home.

The greatest gift I can give the project, and the team, is a longterm vision and culture that would survive long after I am gone. If I have done my job right, I will have forever changed those involved in the project. That is leadership, to grow a team to the point they no longer need you. I'm proud of the people I have worked with. I am proud of what they are accomplishing. And I am proud to say that I can see a day when I am not needed. That is very hard for me to accept, but I know that the day must come. That day is good for the project. That day will not be a pleasant one for me.

I make no apology for saying that, eventually, I need to return home to be with my family. I made commitments to my family for many years, long before DayZ, to return to be with them. I've clearly stated I am prepared to do whatever is needed for DayZ, even if that meant staying on even longer. But I have also clearly stated that I want to return home, to be with my family. I think this is fair, and I fail to see what else I could do in this situation.

You disgust me

Perhaps rather than expressing your revulsion, you could explain how you would prefer the situation be managed?

What an utter disappointment, you deserve nothing of what you have gained over these last 2 years.

One thing that I have gained, that I feel I have earned, is just how hateful people can be towards you when you open yourself up to them. I had always thought that being open encouraged people to engage in dialogue no matter how angry they are.

Edit: Highlander: Go, search johnny and troll with him some other thread. This one is bad enough already and doesn't need further trolling :)

Edited by LaughingJack

Edit: Highlander: Go, search johnny and troll with him some other thread. This one is bad enough already and doesn't need further trolling :)

Johnny who? Johnny Depp?

How am I fuckin trolling?

I was wondering why a creator of this project would denounce it so early before his contract is due. Now I know. The contract was shit to begin with, in his opinion. That's not trolling, thats reality

Edited by Highlander007

So who's going to lead the project after he leaves? They're no way going to be finished in 10 months.

i want to know which visions dean had for the game which they now cannot make cuz of flawd game design!?!?!?!?

he designs the game like ......     realizes some things cant be made ....     runs away (missing his hometown)...

thats just ridiculous

Edited by brumey

make no mistake..

KoS killed this game...

i'll bet Deans next game has mechanics in place from the get go, that limit the douche level the game community within can be..

Killed the game for you perhaps but for me and countless others it made the game exciting and fun

• Like 1