Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

As usual I ignore DayZForumer since he is the most obvious troll since...well...Johnny.

@FakePromise: I know the thread is long and full of BS, ragetears and whatnot, so this time I won't be mad because of repeating things...

A few questions came in my mind after reading his statements on Eurogamer and his formal apology letter on Reddit:

I didn't see an "apology letter" anywhere. And I think I quoted in this thread the whole freakin reddit dayz Sub already....2 times....

I only saw him trying to explain on what eurogamer quoted him, what got lost in a storm of rage. Essentially - for your points:

As linked 2 or 3 times now (I'm to lazy to search it myself now, some post of mine and also other guys) Dean stated last year in June that he wants to go back to NZ and step down as project leader but continue working as advisor. He wanted to take this step in 12 months time (which would have meant June/july this year). Actually you can accuse him only of again not staying to the dates he mentions.

When he starts to develop his climbing game by his own studio, will he say after a couple of months since the early access that his project is flawed and he will dump it after 10 months?

Actually: Yes. I think that is what will happen. He will push a game to a Beta and let someone else lead from  there on while he starts a new project. For flawed, please not he previous post (or that ebfore it) I amde in this thread. Has everything I could find about the "flawed" topic. e.g.:

That was one comment made in the middle of a four hour interview :)

What I'm referring to there, is that I see DayZ as having elements of the "ultimate multiplayer experience" but I was discussing with the interviewer all the things that I did not think were perfect about DayZ. We were discussing the ways in which I believe the concept - the core design - that I came up with is flawed. There are things the game cannot do because of the way I designed it. These are important lessons that I take heed of.

However, they don't detract from the game at all, and indeed to change these would dramatically change the game and not necessarily for the better (for example: I could just be completely wrong). The DayZ game should head in the direction it is, but any future game I make should take into account what I feel are flaws in my previous design(s).

If BI makes him a new offer with increased percentage of royalties, will he change his mind and stay until final release?

In my opinion: No. I have worked for 3 years away from home and in the end I just wanted to go back, even if it was a change for the worse regarding my income.

If homesickness is your problem, I think you could somehow sort this out with the BI and work from NZ after you’ve completed, let’s say the 80%, of the work needs to be done.

He responded to a similar question: Working yes, leading a 50++ team: no. Ad he will continue working for BI/DayZ but not as lead dev.

You are a self-proclaimed leader, but a true leader doesn’t quit. At least not until the job is done. Not to mention that you are way too cocky and unstable for a developer who has only participated on only one game and that’s for the Alpha stage only.

He is not the kind of leader, from his point of view, that is good for a game in a Beta, when all that is done is polishing and finetuning. He says, he is good at starting things and make people take risks.

While I in can not judge the truth of neither the one nor the other, I'd say he believes hismelf what he says (may it be true or not) and acts because of this.

• Like 3

Why is everything dean hall talks about say have to do with.. "when i need to go home" "they will do fine without me blah blah blah" "a good leader is someone who teaches there team to do good although im not here"

JESUS CHRIST DUDE.. Is that all you talk about?? leaving?? Mount everest is the only place that could get you far away enough from dayz? It seems like all dean hall has ever cared about since first starting dayz is getting as far away from it as possible.. This dayz IP could be the next biggest thing since VALVE and 99% of all REAL game developers who are not afraid of their own shadow would give an arm and a leg to be project lead of such a title. And all he cares about is getting as far away as possible?? If you stopped doing so much thinking about "what i want in my heart wahhh" and just sat down and started working instead of whining it would be freaking done by now..Its just a freaking video game not a prison sentence. Are you that much of a pussy that you want to go home to your mommy? your like 40 or some shit grow up.. Put on your big boy pants, purchase a game studio, have all your developers come together under one roof, buy a redbull machine for the office, buy a toaster oven and pizza bagels, and just have a blast while being  part of one of the biggest momumental moments of video game history you pussy!

Is he seriously thinking about his next game when he is smack dab in the center of the birth of one of the biggest IP's to ever hit gaming?? Dude needs to be put in a mental institution if you ask me

If your heart is not into it than step down and let one of the other thousands of game developers who would give an arm and a leg to have such an awesome job

You have been in charge of dayz for the last two years.. YOU HAVENT DONE JACK SHIT to the game.. and you make it seem like you are a slave working in a sweatshop crying about every little thing.. "i want to be free and climb mountainssss" "i want to quit the military and do what my heart tells meee" "I want to go homeee" wahhh im a little baby who nicknames myself rocket.. do you also have racecar bordered wallpaper and a teddybear?

Edited by randalmcdaniels

H4zyjY9.png

2 Warning Points already? Well done.

• Like 3

Why is everything dean hall talks about say have to do with.. "when i need to go home" "they will do fine without me blah blah blah" "a good leader is someone who teaches there team to do good although im not here"

JESUS CHRIST DUDE.. Is that all you talk about?? leaving?? Mount everest is the only place that could get you far away enough from dayz? It seems like all dean hall has ever cared about since first starting dayz is getting as far away from it as possible.. This dayz IP could be the next biggest thing since VALVE and 99% of all REAL game developers who are not afraid of their own shadow would give an arm and a leg to be project lead of such a title. And all he cares about is getting as far away as possible?? If you stopped doing so much thinking about "what i want in my heart wahhh" and just sat down and started working instead of whining it would be freaking done by now..Its just a freaking video game not a prison sentence. Are you that much of a pussy that you want to go home to your mommy? your like 40 or some shit grow up.. Put on your big boy pants, purchase a game studio, have all your developers come together under one roof, buy a redbull machine for the office, buy a toaster oven and pizza bagels, and just have a blast while being  part of one of the biggest momumental moments of video game history you pussy!

Is he seriously thinking about his next game when he is smack dab in the center of the birth of one of the biggest IP's to ever hit gaming?? Dude needs to be put in a mental institution if you ask me

I see you edited out the " Its just a video game not a prison sentence" part of your post. Because you sure don't act like it's "just a game", so I guess that was a smart move.

this would be the end if i were Dean (Lisa = us, MrBergstrom = Dean)

j1ziDMk.gif

Edited by joe_mcentire

I only just heard this news, im shocked and disheartened to say the least :o

Keep remembering the quote about wanting people to have a financial commitment to the alpha.....now it seems he isn't even committed...I mean hes already thinking about this new project with his own studio and were, what?, 3 months into the alpha!  

I hope 10 months is enough to get all the features in....done right. I can't say how il feel later down the line but with the game in its current state I can't believe hes already dreaming about his own studio, and other projects. :(  :emptycan:

...now it seems he isn't even committed...

...with the game in its current state I can't believe hes already dreaming about his own studio, and other projects...

I'm going to quote the man himself:

The greatest gift I can give the project, and the team, is a longterm vision and culture that would survive long after I am gone. If I have done my job right, I will have forever changed those involved in the project. That is leadership, to grow a team to the point they no longer need you. I'm proud of the people I have worked with. I am proud of what they are accomplishing. And I am proud to say that I can see a day when I am not needed.

yeah i know right haha.. this guy is so delusional and narcissistic that he actually believes we will support him in future game developments when he cant even stick through the alpha of one of the most important IP's of all time

Edited by randalmcdaniels
  • Like 1

I'm going to quote the man himself:

Quote all you want, if a game developer is already talking about leaving his biggest project to date because he feels it is a poorly conceived idea and wants to move on to better things, it's safe to assume he has little commitment or passion towards that project.

yeah i know right haha.. this guy is so delusional and narcissistic that he actually believes we will support him in future game developments when he cant even stick through the alpha of one of the most important IP's of all time

My thoughts exactly.  I chuckled when he was like "Yeah bro I got 3 game ideas in the works and they aren't totally flawed like DayZ"

Quote all you want, if a game developer is already talking about leaving his biggest project to date because he feels it is a poorly conceived idea and wants to move on to better things, it's safe to assume he has little commitment or passion towards that project.

If he thinks DayZ is a poorly conceived idea that's his prerogative, I happen to disagree with him and clearly so do many others judging from the response he's gotten, but at least he is still going to stick with it through the alpha phase and leave it in capable hands. They could just have easily have chosen to can the project entirely and that would have been a dick move.

Seriously, your 'internet outrage' is seriously wasted on this non-issue.

If he thinks DayZ is a poorly conceived idea that's his prerogative, I happen to disagree with him and clearly so do many others judging from the response he's gotten, but at least he is still going to stick with it through the alpha phase and leave it in capable hands. They could just have easily have chosen to can the project entirely and that would have been a dick move.

Seriously, your 'internet outrage' is seriously wasted on this non-issue.

Quote me where I said I was outraged.  I'll be waiting.

Quote me where I said I was outraged.  I'll be waiting.

It's how I choose to label this mass hysteria and such, quite poignant I think.

You say that even though it's clear that he's not leaving until about when DayZ go beta.

• Like 1

If I had to reply to the man himself, id say...

Leadership is leading a group to accomplish a goal, from beginning to end. You are a figurehead of the game and should stay involved even in a lesser role. You give us a certain peace of mind that everything is being done right. Was your job title  "Lead Dev"....or "lead People Changer"... Growing a team to the point where they no longer need you is called training, or teaching lol.

But hey, like I said I don't know how I gonna feel after 10 months. They might well have most of the features in....and only need to polish it, and ok that can be done without Dean. But if theres major holdups I hope he would reconsider, and stick with it until the point that it was only "polish" left.

• Like 1

If I had to reply to the man himself, id say...

Leadership is leading a group to accomplish a goal, from beginning to end. You are a figurehead of the game and should stay involved even in a lesser role.

The man plans to leave when he is no longer needed, as in at all, and he wants to go back to his family. On Reddit he essentially said that residing in the Czech Republic for much longer would be akin to seeking citizenship there (for most EU countries this can occur after five years of residence).

Can't you guys just be grateful that he plans to see it through to beta and that he trusts the team can do anything he can do and follow his example? In the statement I quoted he seems very confident that he's embedded a certain culture in to the team, if you trust him as much as you seem then you'll trust the other ~30 members of the dev team to continue growing DayZ as it was intended.

Edit: And before I'm accused of being some sort of fanboy again because I am trusting the team, that is not to say I won't be annoyed and vocal about it if they screw up. I still expect the game to be completed and to live up to the expectations we have been given, it's just too early to write it off.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 3

The man plans to leave when he is no longer needed, as in at all, and he wants to go back to his family. On Reddit he essentially said that residing in the Czech Republic for much longer would be akin to seeking citizenship there (for most EU countries this can occur after five years of residence).

Can't you guys just be grateful that he plans to see it through to beta and that he trusts the team can do anything he can do and follow his example? In the statement I quoted he seems very confident that he's embedded a certain culture in to the team, if you trust him as much as you seem then you'll trust the other ~30 members of the dev team to continue growing DayZ as it was intended.

Edit: And before I'm accused of being some sort of fanboy again because I am trusting the team, that is not to say I won't be annoyed and vocal about it if they screw up. I still expect the game to be completed and to live up to the expectations we have been given, it's just too early to write it off.

I don't trust the team. No, not after ArmA3 where lots of promises were made and the game was released even though it was incomplete. Lots of people paid for arma3 alpha and beta hoping that the 'final' release would actually be finished.  If BIS had a better track record then it would be easier to trust them for dayz.

Edited by Benjamin

I don't trust the team. No, not after ArmA3 where lots of promises were made and the game was released even though it was incomplete. If BIS had a better track record then it would be easier to trust them for dayz.

Do you trust Rocket? He picked the team, so either way you trust Rocket or you don't. If you don't then I have to wonder what keeps you playing.

• Like 1

Do you trust Rocket? He picked the team, so either way you trust Rocket or you don't. If you don't then I have to wonder what keeps you playing.

We did trust him up until he said the game is flawed and will never be the multiplayer exp. we were promised.

• Like 1

We did trust him up until he said the game is flawed and will never be the multiplayer exp. we were promised.

I didn't interpret it that way at all. Here is what Rocket himself had to say.

I am honestly completely perplexed as to why this has caused so much anger/hate-mail. I cannot think of a single thing I have ever done that I have not looked back on and identified the flaws. It is such a natural process of reflection for me, that I thought it was just part of general common sense.

I look back on the basic design of DayZ, and I can quite clearly identify core aspects of it that, if changed and mastered, could improve the experience. Alpha is not the time to be changing such core fundamental elements of the game. But they are things you remember and discuss with people to see if they are solvable in the future

Hello there

Dean's mistake was he assumed everyone has

general common sense.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 8

This thread is still alive?

There be some overreactors in our midst.. 

And possibly a lot of people who don't know what BI is capable of.

Edited by Geckofrog7

He did not say that. Everybody that thinks that way interpretes him wrong. I hope he will clear that up himself! But i am sure he meant it in a bigger meaning like for example if you think a FPS cant make for the perfect Multiplayer experience, that doesnt mean that an FPS can not be enjoyable, bugfree and complete. But clearly he is looking for something different that only he has the ideas for. I am very much looking forward to his next projects, after Dayz is finished. This is not Warz, these are people with values, it is not a cash grab, we will get our game! 

He didn't say that. He said it will never be the multiplayer experience he wants to make. Basically what he means by that is that the game is flawed when it comes to his personal standards. The game as a concept is not flawed.

• Like 1