Hetstaine

Rocket standing down from Dayz by end of year

The idea is that he's with the project until it is mostly completed. 

While not a part of the gaming industry, in my experience with huge projects where the brainchild team leader announces he's quitting before the project is completed, feel good caveats from the quitter are almost never acceptable to the company he's leaving.

Like so many other people, here I have enjoyed the Alpha immensely and have confidence that the new director may shame Rocket with a finished product far beyond what the brainchild thought possible.

I am ok with that. His main contribution was the original idea. Programing etc... can be done by other BI employes.

He is not a John Carmack dont go crazy :-)

Edited by Drtikol42
  • Like 2

See the problem is most people here still think for some reason that the Alpha is the final product of the game and claim it to be a buggy unpolished mess. It's not and Dean not leaving till it gets to Beta which is at the end of this year. And even still if he is needed, he will stay until he is no longer needed. Once you understand that this is alpha, then you will understand that this is the skeleton and main part of where the main features and important aspects get added to the game. Beta is for testing out issues and dealing with optimization which Dean more then likely won't be needed for and the people he leaves to work on this have already shown to us that they can keep this game going, and have the right concept for it.

TL:DR? No, you need to take the time to read because you failed to read the Alpha disclaimer.

I think you need to check your facts mate.

Some of the glaring issues in this game are problems that should not even be released in an alpha, they should be sorted before alpha. If they can not sort it out before alpha how are they meant to sort it out after.

Glitches in alpha should be small things that are pretty insignificant and can be repaired pretty easy.

Not the main threat in the game being able to walk through every wall on the map, mapping out zombie AI is no easy task WHY HAS IT NOT BEEN DONE YET??????

And also you said it right here

'Once you understand that this is alpha, then you will understand that this is the skeleton and main part of where the main features and important aspects get added to the game. '

Once you understand that this is not happening and this is what is making people lose faith then you might stop defending them and asking for something close to what you were paying for, but you do what you do best and keep defending them while they cash in your money and when it does dawn on you good luck finding them at the top of mount Everest.

Please enlighten me as to what 'main features and important aspects' they have managed to get sorted since release ???

let's play JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS

today's special:

1rucgSr.jpg

Edited by joe_mcentire
  • Like 2

Im sure people will take his parting in various ways but I mean... this was the plan all along.

Dean is there as a consultant. Thats really it. He has ideas, and since he came up with Dayz BIS is working with him because well, its highly profitable for them. Its also why you see such hap hazard approach to this game. They are just kind of winging it as Dean comes up with new ideas. Im sure what will happen is Dean will leave, Dayz will get better.. and eventually we will hear about Rockets Mtn game that focuses on survival.

I for one am happy to hear he is going. I think BIS with its Arma background will take this game to a better place than Rocket with his, "Lets make a real game that is just a pain as real life is and add in everything in the world we can come up with."

Seems like everyone has high hopes for dayz except one person.. dean hall  

pity

Edited by randalmcdaniels
  • Like 7

Rocket, if your gonna leave at the end of the year, please PLEASE pump out the vehicles and weapons, on an 85 sq mile map, no one wants to walk everywhere, barely no-one ever goes inland, just to airfields and such, please get some vehicles soon!

pity

He's a coward.

• Like 1

Idle Speculation never had it so good as it does now in this thread. 

The strange thing is everything you have said has been pure speculation also..

How is your positive speculation any more correct than those speculating on the worst.

I cant speak for dean i can only speak for myself and everyone else i have seen give notice.

Once i have handed notice in my care factor becomes zero i do not think about what i am doing but what i am going to be doing as it might seem dean is now with the 5 games he has said he has the ideas for.. Every person who has worked for me that has handed there notice has yeah done there job but just enough to drudge through...

• Like 1

To be fair, I've had more value for money out of the SA than I have out of many other "AAA" games with higher price tags.

I'm too lazy to read 16 pages to see if other people are saying this also but OH MY GOODNESS THIS!.

You realize that new games cost $59.99 these days right? You paid less than $30 for a game that you clearly like enough to register forum accounts so you can discuss when you're not playing. I've played about 150 hours and gotten way more than $30 of fun out of this. If it closed up shop tomorrow, the servers went dark, and that was it I would not regret a single penny I spent on it. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for additions and fixes and changes and I can't wait to play a finished game, but I think people are overreacting just a tad.

If you're at a point in your life where the loss of $30 is devastating to you and causes you feel like you've been cheated or someone has "stolen" from you then you don't need to be spending $30 on video games. Have you never spend that much money on movie tickets on a date only to have the date suck? Gone to see a play that was terrible? Was that theft too? You bought into a game, you play the game, that's how it works. Just because you don't get everything exactly the way it played out in your head when you spent the money doesn't mean you can accuse people of stealing and pitch a crying fit.

• Like 1

jk master

Stay with DayZ until the end of the year and then go make a pretty damn good multi player game with a open world to explore and a engine as good as of the GTA V

in Dean i trust!!!!  :beans:

Edited by ryzoh

pity

could it be he's just taking some of the money and running?

No, just pointing out that officially Rocket probably only has to give one or two months notice before quitting his job.  I think being transparent and letting people know his plans far into the future is pretty decent.

I imagine he's under some sort of contract

So

today's special:

1rucgSr.jpg

So dean hall is now prioritizing mod support so the mod community can finish what he couldnt? Wow this is basically the nail in the coffin.. This is basically him admitting that no more development to standalone is going to come from his hands.. 

Than why even charge $30 for standalone when the free mod was working fine in the first place? Seems like a get rich quick scheme.. I think steam should start issuing mass refunds and dean hall should be arrested for fraud

• Like 2

I'll just leave this here:

fear of a finished product.

I don't think he's taking the money and running....I think it comes down to the fact that the game will NEVER be what he thought it could of been and he's moving on to other stuff....Now what people should be asking is what dayz might turn into once he's gone for good....Maybe fast traveling....Super Guns....50 cent rap while doing drive by's on zeds <<<<I might like that one....But we all will see in time.

Edited by Ryu

today's special:

1rucgSr.jpg

"fundamentally flawed"

"Modding is a big priority now"

"I'd like to go home to New Zealand"

Yeah with all the money - FU

50 cent raping while doing drive by's on zeds <<<<I might like that one....But we all will see in time.

Why would 50 Cent become a rapist? Is DayZ truly that corrupting?!

Edited by Demoth

He wont be getting a penny from me, released Dayz in such a shit boring state, wont even see it to the end.... just feel ripped off, a bit like ARMA 3. He just wanted to milk us all tbh, funny how SA failed so badly and now we're all back playing the mod or Rust or whatever else cause SA is so crap.

Edited by Miffy
  • Like 2

DayZ generates so much profit, it will not be abandoned. That's for sure.

The profit has already been generated. There is no economic incentive for neither Dean nor Bohemia to continue with this. People seem to forget that when they throw their money at projects like this.

Now, I'm not saying it will be abandoned, but we'll probably have to be content with ad-hoc features like spray-painted Mosins for a long while. Underground bases seems to be light-years away. 

I don't think he's taking the money and running....I think it comes down to the fact that the game will NEVER be what he thought it could of been and he's moving on to other stuff....Now what people should be asking is what dayz might turn into once he's gone for good....Maybe fast traveling....Super Guns....50 cent raping while doing drive by's on zeds <<<<I might like that one....But we all will see in time.

Cool but he should have told us he has zero hope for dayz BEFORE taking everyones 30 dollars

Cool but he should have told us he has zero hope for dayz BEFORE taking everyones 30 dollars

yeah.