crazykage

Server hopping has gotten worse. (actuall analysis, not a whine thread)

Oh they didn't left their characters there, they were active players, seconds after joining the server. 

There are many areas that can help with this problem.

More military locations with a lower probability of good gear.

More random loot spawning.  Having a chance of potentially finding good gear in even the crappiest locations.

Longer server switching time penalties

Player stat tracking and penalty system for server hopping characteristics. (removal of gear, death, etc)

Having gear hotspots that are reliable for good gear will always cause server hopping.

Personally I think military gear should only be found in random 'heli crash' type locations.  These should be too numerous & random to allow easy loot farming techniques..

This. So much this.

There is only 1 reason hopping works:

Locations are known.

Randomize locations and chance of spawning and the hopping dayz are over.

p.s.

pvp ought not to be the main fear factor in this game, Zombies should.

Server hopping (for loot) is not cheating and is not exploiting.  It's playing the game more efficiently.

If you join a server that has a bunch of looted buildings, even in a city, chances are as you run through other cities they will also be looted.  This is why respawning loot is important, you could run for 1-2 hours before finding any unopened buildings.  This is a waste of your time.

I've found server hopping to be even easier after the time penalty implementation.  Less people are hopping so the chances of spawning into a military base or NWAF to find it unlooted is much higher.  5 minutes is perfect for a bathroom break or to fetch an ice cold Nota Cola Classic.  You should try it sometime...

There is no analysis here.. You'd need factual data for that.. this is just your opinion based on common sense and experience.

Server hopping (for loot) is not cheating and is not exploiting.  It's playing the game more efficiently.

If you join a server that has a bunch of looted buildings, even in a city, chances are as you run through other cities they will also be looted.  This is why respawning loot is important, you could run for 1-2 hours before finding any unopened buildings.  This is a waste of your time.

I've found server hopping to be even easier after the time penalty implementation.  Less people are hopping so the chances of spawning into a military base or NWAF to find it unlooted is much higher.  5 minutes is perfect for a bathroom break or to fetch an ice cold Nota Cola Classic.  You should try it sometime...

LOL

• Like 1

I understand what you're going for, I just don't know that it's built into the fabric of the game to know the difference.  I could be wrong of course.

Its simple to implement, It's a simple database check. Example: Is 'last server joined' field in database same as current server? If yes then no timer, if no then 5 min timer.

Server hoppers will move from server to server as soon as they are be able to do it.

I think the only solution is one character per server.

I hope private hives will be ready soon.

• Like 3

Server hoppers will move from server to server as soon as they are be able to do it.

I hope private hives will be ready soon.

Likewise, really tired of running in-game for miles to reach areas with no loot. <- It takes easily 40+ minutes to reach from the coast to a military installation to get geared.

* While the server hoppers have looted all the military areas and major towns... <-- It takes 3 minutes to server hop to the next server... lol

Characters bound servers is the only fix to "server hoppers".

Edited by Sobieski12
  • Like 2

I've noticed it as well, but figure, only way to stop the loot farming server hoping is to require a character to only play on the server it was created on, not cross to another server once geared.  If your character could not jump to another server, you'd play on selected servers more often, rather than jump, because if you select a different server, you start with a newb. Even if you have a character on every server out there, you will eventually come to use a selected few, as main gameplay. It would also stop ghosting, if your character restarted in same exact place as he logged off, on same exact server.  Ghosting is totally not stopped yet, ghosting just takes longer to do now.

I don't mind too bad when my character dies. I feel the struggle at the start is half the fun. Because I'm not a player killer just for shats and giggles, I tend to get more bored with the fully geared one, that I know, is doomed to die at a certain point, because of the KOS crowd. (yes, I too know it's alpha, and things will change)

@ OP   Semper Fi

Ok. I am NOT doing this. I am NOT going to continue to feed attention to these people (this simply being an example). If you disagree, fine. Give me valid reasons, or a well though out rebuttal. Tell me WHY I am wrong, make an argument, and do it in an intelligent manner that is not rude or insulting. This kind of attitude is what is ruining this community.

If you have nothing constructive to add, and cant do it in a respectfull manner, I refuse to argue with you. For fucks sake, put some THOUGHT into things, instead of shooting me down for doing EXACTLY what we should all be doing: working with the devs to make the game better.

I'm sorry, my attitude is ruining the community? You'd like me to flesh out what I said a little more? Well, allow me to retort.

I'm of the opinion that it's attitudes like yours that are detrimental to the community. You make an observation, which is entirely subjective, and then posit your "findings" as fact before proceeding to cry about why you feel like you've been slighted. You have absolutely no basis for your "analysis", and I'm calling bullshit on the grounds that you haven't got any proof.

The entire OP, for all its bluster and noise, can be summed up in one line.

"BOOHOO LOOT IS HARD TO FIND, NEW PATCH MUST BENEFIT SERVER HOPPERS. SOURCE: I SAW IT ON SOME SERVERS."

Sorry OP, but I'm not the only one here who thinks that you're a melodramatic ass-hat without a leg to stand on. The onus is on you to provide proof, not on us to debate your baseless assertions.

Was that good enough for you?

• Like 1

Right...

So that I end up having 20 fully geared characters and not give a fuck if one of them dies ? Because why should I have 19 spare copies. 

Right...

So that I end up having 20 fully geared characters and not give a fuck if one of them dies ? Because why should I have 19 spare copies. 

Not an option if you're playing with a squad who won't move to your new server. Benefits lone wolves in that respect, but still eliminates hopping completely.

This right here is the most elaborate excuse i have ever heard. I have not seen any of what the OP is saying, quite the opposite i can go into any city now and leave with some gun.

Not an option if you're playing with a squad who won't move to your new server. Benefits lone wolves in that respect, but still eliminates hopping completely.

Whats wrong with squad game-play, just stick with one server and play as a group.

* Servers won't vanish after a day, during the mod servers lasted a couple months before shutting down.

Not to mention of how easy it's to get geared in this game, take about an hour to be fully geared.

And what if there is not enough free slots on the server for you and your squad ? 

I hate server hopping as much as anyone, but you can;t get rid of it without some extreme measures, (one char per server is one of those) 

What can be done is :

When you log onto server and you have your spawn timer say 5 minutes, your character is already in game, just like log out timer, your character is there but you have no control over it. This will punish server hoppers A LOT, chances of them loosing gear would be very high unless joining an empty server. 

Edited by General Zod

And what if there is not enough free slots on the server for you and your squad ? 

I hate server hopping as much as anyone, but you can;t get rid of it without some extreme measures, (one char per server is one of those) 

What can be done is :

When you log onto server and you have your spawn timer say 5 minutes, your character is already in game, just like log out timer, your character is there but you have no control over it. This will punish server hoppers A LOT, chances of them loosing gear would be very high unless joining an empty server. 

5 min will do nothing. 

What will happen once they add vehicles and a storage system?

* Going to try to hide the car / storage on the "north or west borders", don't bother people will server hop to find it.    (Just like the classic mod)

While on a character bound server, people would actually have to travel and find your vehicle and base.

Server hopping takes 3 min

Traveling around the map takes hours.

-------

As for full servers.... just wait for available slots... lol

* Somehow the PC gaming community has managed to deal with full servers for the past couple of years.

Edited by Sobieski12

What can be done is :

The problem with your solution is that we all fall on the same sword. It isn't fair that someone with legitimate connection issues (whether their fault or game's fault) should be punished to the same extent as people who exploit the system.

Someone further back through the thread suggested some feasible options, have a look for the post.

Whats wrong with squad game-play, just stick with one server and play as a group.

* Servers won't vanish after a day, during the mod servers lasted a couple months before shutting down.

Not to mention of how easy it's to get geared in this game, take about an hour to be fully geared.

There's nothing wrong with squad play. Read the comment I was responding to, it's all about context, friend.

People server hop in low population servers because it's statistically safer - hopefully that's not news. But the 30 second timeout makes high population servers more playable, realistic, and fair. 

I play in high population servers and haven't noticed server hopping or people spawning in right near me. When I come across a fully looted village it's usually because of the huge gang of players that just ran by, not because of server hoppers. Server hopping is far more dangerous in a high population server, so to the extent that it bothers people to see it, just play in a high population server where you either won't notice it or where it won't matter. Server hopping at an air field in a 38/40 server is a death sentence usually since you have Kos campers essentially enforcing "fair play" through ass-hattery. It's a self feeding machine. Server hopping is partly a byproduct of KOS unjust deaths (not fixable), glitch deaths (fixable), and human greed (not fixable). Also what the OP sees as server hopping may just be people playing in non-binge time increments like 20/30/40 minute segments. I can Imagine it could take a very careful player 20 minutes to safely loot a village, get to a safe place and log out - if you only have 20 minutes to play what choice do you have? Then what are you likely going to do when you log back in, skip over your village full of loot to go charging through the forest? No you're going to loot the same village again. We have to figure there is a whole subset of non-fanatical players with actual real world things to do who play this way and don't post on forums about it. Other than forcing people into playing prescribed time slots there's nothing to be done about this.

The OP said he doesn't play in high pop servers because of performance problems, which is a separate issue entirely. You either have to wait for a patch or upgrade your system, or possibly both since IDK your specs.

edit: Once they add vehicles it should incentivize people to stay in the server to re-gear when they're killed by another player, this way they have a chance to get revenge. Of course people will start complaining about their rides getting jacked...

Edited by Old_Crow_Whiskey
  • Like 1

How will loot respawn fix the issue?  I am confused by this "solution" always being brought up.

Are you not finding servers that reboot every 4 hours (or less), respawning loot?

Or do you think respawning loot every 10 min is the solution?  I personally think faster loot spawns would make rarity of anything a joke and pretty much foster a "meta-gaming" mentality vs a survival work with what you got one.

I personally would rather see a larger time penalty for joining different servers.

Don't know if this is doable but  how about instead of stopping you from logging into a different server for x amount of time. If you do change servers (say within a 30 minute span) a swarm of  4 - 6 zeds spawn in with you. Lets put some serious skill in play if you gonna be a hopper.

Hello everyone!

I give my vote for adding more randomly placed weapon spawns, with smaller probability. The game feels too predictable (at the moment). would be nice to find a shotgun from a toilet, or a pistol from a house under the bed..
I personally have done server hopping a few times, simply because getting tired of being shot without a weapon every too often after been running around through towns that always have doors open to the houses that you know spawn guns.

Server hopping at an air field in a 38/40 server is a death sentence usually since you have Kos campers essentially enforcing "fair play" through ass-hattery. It's a self feeding machine. 

KoSers haz a sickness and the only medicine is MORE ASS-HATTERY  :P

I'm sorry, my attitude is ruining the community? You'd like me to flesh out what I said a little more? Well, allow me to retort.

I'm of the opinion that it's attitudes like yours that are detrimental to the community. You make an observation, which is entirely subjective, and then posit your "findings" as fact before proceeding to cry about why you feel like you've been slighted. You have absolutely no basis for your "analysis", and I'm calling bullshit on the grounds that you haven't got any proof.

The entire OP, for all its bluster and noise, can be summed up in one line.

"BOOHOO LOOT IS HARD TO FIND, NEW PATCH MUST BENEFIT SERVER HOPPERS. SOURCE: I SAW IT ON SOME SERVERS."

Sorry OP, but I'm not the only one here who thinks that you're a melodramatic ass-hat without a leg to stand on. The onus is on you to provide proof, not on us to debate your baseless assertions.

Was that good enough for you?

At what point EXACTLY, did I say ANYTHING remotely similar to "crying"? So my opinion is just that. Even if it IS based on factual observations, its still my ANALYSIS of what I have OBSERVED. No, it isn't a college level dissertation. But every claim I make is based on a long period of, yes, undocumented, observations. I didn't make it up.

I came here to encourage discussion and debate about a perceived issue. I NEVER claimed to be the be all end all authority on the matter.

But YOU come in here, waving your dick around, acting all snotty, start slinging insults, take what I say out of context, and generally do everything possible to act like a general ASS.

NOTHING that I have said at ANY point in this thread comes even remotely close to sounding like this. My OP specifically said at the end that I LIKE where the game is going, and encouraged the devs.This is YOU. This is YOUR SHIT! NOT mine. OWN IT! THIS is YOU coming into what was otherwise a polite discussion for the sole purpose of shitting all over it by trying to make me out to be some kind of child. And now, yes, I am pissed. Because frankly, I am sick and tired of this shit being allowed to continue. I reported several needlessly insulting posts in this thread, and NONE of them were removed. This entire forum is filled with more of the same: childish adults (presumably) that feel the need to SHIT on everyone and every thing they don't agree with what somebody has to say.

Moderators. Please lock this thread. It has degraded into pointless shit slinging.

Server hopping hasn't gotten worse but I also don't think it has gotten any better either.  Instead of swapping from server to server in once spot, now they just have to gather gear in an area for 30 mins.  Swap servers and repeat all over.  Yes it is frustrating to join one of the many servers I've added to my favorites to run around for over an hour from empty town to city to military bases just to find out they've still been cleared out.  I do watch the player list and see who joins and leave right away and, ya, having to wait a whole whopping 5 minutes is garbage.  Make it a minimum 10 mins.  Also there has to be some kind of coding to differentiate between a player clicking log off to a player actually losing connection so people don't get penalized for getting disconnected.

Moderators. Please lock this thread. It has degraded into pointless shit slinging.

DvtA8t3RNhVl.jpg

• Like 1