rocket

Critical Unplanned Update of 0.34 to Stable 7 February 2014

please try and help us soon with battleye errors. some of us just purchased early access and seem to be unable to play on battleye servers do to (manual and auto) update process not working correctly. i have manually updated, reinstalled, gone to experimental then back to stable, given permissions, and much more to try to fix it. i know its alpha so i understand theres issues but id love to start testing for you guys!

the fact, that you will have to deal with bugs, glitches, resets, etc.. So actually you bought a very early version of the game, and contribute to building up the game?

But still, it's annoying to die because of bugs. Because i only got killed 3 times in the whole time, but ~4 times by bugs.

I hear ya. Same story for me too far more bug deaths than anything else. 

My oldest surviving character ever in the mod died eventually because of one of the glitches around Elektro dockside, the one that throws you up in the air to then splatter all over the concrete to the sound of cracking bones..

I laughed in the end; after lots of swearing. It's part of learning to master the game - warts 'n all.

Don't forget, some players were also stuck on a "Please Wait" black screen. But keep up the good work with getting rid of the bugs! ;)

• Like 1

Earlier this week we identified the source of a "respawn" bug that would cause players to become stuck in the "you are dead" screen. Because of the extent of the problem, and the difficulty it causes players, we have decided to push the 0.34 update to stable very early. 

What was the bug?

This was caused when two small bugs with existing systems combined together when another bug was fixed. When a player clicked "respawn" for an unconscious character, the game server immediately sends an urgent message to the database asking it to kill the players current character. The the server sets the players game character's damage to full, and proceeds to save the characters current inventory/position one last time to the database. Normally, by the time it has finished that the damage has been set for the character and, again, a message was sent to the server demanding the player was killed.

There was an old failsafe in the "save character" system on the central server, that when asked to save a character where no alive one existed, it would make a new one. What this meant was, the respawned character would be killed, then saved new, then killed again. The problem occurs that when a server comes under heavy load... both kill messages occur first. This means that a cloned, already dead, character then exists - trapping the player in a cycle of death. This complex logic state issue was identified and fixed yesterday. 

What does this mean?

This means three things:

1. The 0.34 will not be as extensive as we wanted it to be (just hotfixing)
  2. There is increased risk of new bugs creeping in to stable as 0.34 has not been tested long
  3. Today the whole stable network will be dropped to deploy the update

Why not wait until the scheduled update?

We feel that the impact of the bug is too high, and affecting too many players, to wait until we have tested the update more extensively and deploy it during our scheduled maintenance periods (wednesdays). Leading into the weekend, there is the potential for the problem to become worse as the server performance drops as more and more character have the issue and connect/disconnect trying to fix it.

When will this happen?

7 February 12PM GMT, the stable branch network will be taken down to deploy the update. Please note: it can take game server providers up to 30 minutes to drop their servers. Players who are connected to a game server while the central server drops, are at risk of losing their progress.

How long will the downtime last?

We expect it stable to be down for three hours.

Will Experimental Branch go down too?

No, Experimental Branch will not be affected, although only a small number of servers run this branch.

I think this was kind of unnecessary, especially if it pushed back development or really caused any sort of problems at the office.

My reason being that we all know that downtimes may occur, you could also have updated to the experimental branch to keep player (granted the amount of servers would make it difficult)

Or you could have avoided the glitch entirely by not clicking "respawn" and instead exiting the server upon death.

It was only 5 days until the original .34 was planned to go stable anyways. 

Brian Hicks @Hicks_206
For those potentially stuck on please wait, be patient - the servers are being hammered. ;) 

lol I dont think this has anything to do with the glitch, its the same glitch as before the update, it just wasnt fixed for those who already were stuck. You can join every server provider, every population (low to high) and get the same result. I say don't be patient, just go do something else until they fix it instead of wasting your time "waiting"

IMPORTANT new patch severe fps drop fps counter shows from 60 to minus 5 fps in airfields but now only 20% gfx card utilization

This update only made things worse.

I get the death message no matter how many times I've tried to respawn, once the counter goes to zero my screen goes to please wait message and then I get the message I'm dead.

Yesterday the game was perfect, it was so smooth. With this patch my FPS are dropping like hell and the game is unplayable. Really, wtf have you done? I can't really play this game anymore.

Lets try an solve, me for example it happened at the north east airfield, really bad down to minus 5 fps ut as I say my gfx card wasn't being utilized, so it wasn't processing at all, if that's a clue, only 20% max fps, but if I stood behind the cell building on the bottom south east corner, an I stood on the south side of this I was back upto 60, as soon as I moved from there no gfx use, I have a NVidia 670 if this helps an a 4.7ghz i5 , is it only NVidia or amd aswell

No hard feelings, but i think this emergency update made the game worse. It seems like you have introduced a severe memory leak. Even with high end computers, the longer you play the more it stutteres until it freezes at some point.

Edited by nautic

Lets try an solve, me for example it happened at the north east airfield, really bad down to minus 5 fps ut as I say my gfx card wasn't being utilized, so it wasn't processing at all, if that's a clue, only 20% max fps, but if I stood behind the cell building on the bottom south east corner, an I stood on the south side of this I was back upto 60, as soon as I moved from there no gfx use, I have a NVidia 670 if this helps an a 4.7ghz i5 , is it only NVidia or amd aswell

Same here, i5 2500K and Gtx 760 OC. My 760 it's not used at all and the game goes to 1-2 FPS and it stutters so much. It's unplayable. PLEASE remove this patch and fix this issue.

please try and help us soon with battleye errors. some of us just purchased early access and seem to be unable to play on battleye servers do to (manual and auto) update process not working correctly. i have manually updated, reinstalled, gone to experimental then back to stable, given permissions, and much more to try to fix it. i know its alpha so i understand theres issues but id love to start testing for you guys!

had this in mod. started game - banned from all servers, still dont know why.

Same here, i5 2500K and Gtx 760 OC. My 760 it's not used at all and the game goes to 1-2 FPS and it stutters so much. It's unplayable. PLEASE remove this patch and fix this issue.

NVidias so far any AMD's with the issue?

Game has always run like a dog for me, Struggles to get over 35fps. i7 3770k @ 4.7 GTX 780 SLI.

I'm having this issue from today's patch, not before.

its unplayable at the moment, wehn u getting started it will lagging and get frozen after a few seconds. i tried yesterday an it was perfect, but now its unplayable. When it starts to rain, u have to log out fast, if u can.

its unplayable at the moment, wehn u getting started it will lagging and get frozen after a few seconds. i tried yesterday an it was perfect, but now its unplayable. When it starts to rain, u have to log out fast, if u can.

what gfx card u got?