rocket

Pending Changelog: Experimental Branch: 0.33.114782

First post :)

Anyway, I've been playing the SA for a while now, and have been reporting bugs on bugtracker and been trying to inform others there on how they can possibly fix issues themselves ( and hoping they would then close their reports, so it wouldnt show up as still open to the devs ). Having not played the mod, this game is like a fresh breath of air to me, and I really dont miss anything in the game. I dont miss cars, I dont miss choppers, I dont miss food/drinks ( if I die, I die.. thats just it ). I do find myself a bit annoyed though with one thing, and I question this alot while playing. How do I roleplay this? How long after the outbreak is this game - timeline?

I've read several comments here, usually after a patch is announced. Everyone asking for cars, weapons, food / drinks etc. etc. If the outbreak has occured just a few days ago, I have to admit that finding fresh food and fresh water is possible ( banana's, apples etc ). Also, cars would still run, fuel would still be pretty easy to find, and other survivors would be more helpful if it's just a few days into the apocolypse. ( so no kill on sight - as people are still holding on to hopes of survival together - friendly players and hardly any PVP )

Now, if the setting is years after the first infection, things would be so much different. - you wouldn't find weapons in army barracks, they would have been raided ages ago, and would be scattered throughout the "world", so you would find them in random places, in houses under beds, in cars, in the woods, but definately not in army tents or barracks. There would only be canned food and empty bottles ( which would have to be filled in an uncontaminated water source, e.g. where there are no bodies floating around ). Fuel would be gone, so even if you'd find a car that would possibly run, without fuel it still wouldnt. This would also mean that there would be a lot more bandits/PVP, as everyone is a target then, since they might have a can of beans, and would NEVER share that with anyone - holding on to life as long as possible.

So, my 0.02 cents: Set the stage, and develop the game from that perspective. If only a few days into the apocolypse, there should be an abundance of resources available. If years into the apocolypse, everything should be very scarce, hard to find, and not in any logical place ( no cars, no fresh food/water, no weapons in obvious places etc )

And last comment: I love the game for an Alpha, I already have hours ( 80+ ) into this, and I've yet to discover many many places - and hopefully find many other people on my travels, who I can help out with a bottle of water, a bandage or a friendly talk. To those people constantly complaining: Maybe, just maybe, this isnt the game for you, and you should go back to "full" games, with achievements, kill streaks etc etc. This is survival, it's not an FPS or RTS game

• Like 2

Damn, shouldn't have put a burlap sack on my head. Removed it, still blind. I guess I can forget this char now.

• Like 1

Awesome! patch.... Just wish they will fix in the next patch the melee action and collision when you hit a zed with a baseball bat, wrench, crowbar. However, the axes works great..... 8-)

No, it's logical.

Starving children in Africa, that's sad. And illogical.

its sad

As a developer myself, I can relate to where Rocket is coming from. If they spend major time optimizing now, they'll have to rinse and repeat every time a new feature is added. This wouldn't be efficient. 

• Like 2

So far I've killed 5 people and noone of them despawned. Maybe they did not try to combat log tho.

Also my kills were pretty far away from civilization and military loot spawn zones so those could be legit players.

I would expect a lot of combat logging douchbags in Berezino, Elektro, airfields and military buildings but I don't go there once I get some gun and ammo.

This brings up a good point.  If you combat log right before you die does your corpse then disappear after 30 seconds?

If you log after dying since there's no point to stare at a black "You are dead." screen.  How long is the corpse supposed to last?

This brings up a good point.  If you combat log right before you die does your corpse then disappear after 30 seconds?

If you log after dying since there's no point to stare at a black "You are dead." screen.  How long is the corpse supposed to last?

Corpse supposed to last for 10 minutes and then despawn.

basically when you die, the corpse is not you, so it is no longer bound by your timer

I think that the body vanished after almost 30 seconds in my case.

That is probably because the server is full. I have been played on experimental no problem since the patch, as has several others in the office.

Certainly it feels much more stable than stable, to me, at the moment.

Definitely. Aside from the server crashing bit anyway, it does feel pretty solid.

Has the crashing been addressed yet?

Edited by Gekkonidae

Has anyone else experienced the awesome puking all over the damn place? I saw a guy running out of a building and swear he fell over puking all over the street, while asking for someone to please give him food.

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 1

Has anyone else experienced the awesome puking all over the damn place? I saw a guy running out of a building and swear he fell over puking all over the street, while asking for someone to please give him food.

My guy can't stop puking, he has puked at least 10 times in the last hour.

Stop stuffing yourselves and don't run if you are stuffed. This should prevent you from vomiting (tested yesterday, but there was the same "issue").

I also experienced a lot of irregular puking. I wasn't stuffed or starving but I randomly got "sick" for a second and puked which then made me starving(red).

Stop stuffing yourselves and don't run if you are stuffed. This should prevent you from vomiting (tested yesterday, but there was the same "issue").

I was waiting for stuffed status to go away but I got starved and very thirsty but stuffed status never went away.

• Like 1

Lol, yeah on the puking, hadn't really ate much, few tins of tuna and the like, some water. Everything seemed fine, was Hydrated and only had just hit Stuffed, took off running, my guy stops, spews, and then no issues.

Maybe running with stuffed has a chance to cause puking or something, and it seems like the stuffed status goes away slower. 

• Like 1

Any chance the art team will be ale to squeeze in the painted axe for stable release?

• Like 2

I was waiting for stuffed status to go away but I got starved and very thirsty but stuffed status never went away.

Empty calories - can starve you, even while stuffed  :P

• Like 1

I've got to say, this definitely disappoints me. 

are they planning on adding sniper rifles or other guns that can carry a long range scope?

I haven't played the experimental, but I was seeing players talking about bodies disappearing. Is it possible that they weren't dead, but unconscious?... then they logged off once unconscious... since they weren't dead they might have been on the 30 second logout timer... and they "logout" unconscious? If you logout unconscious, you'll respawn on the coast so they wouldn't know they were still alive when they disconnected.

I wonder if you put a few more shots into them to make sure they are dead, maybe they wouldn't disappear? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Maybe running with stuffed has a chance to cause puking or something, and it seems like the stuffed status goes away slower. 

That seems like a very logical Volcan like conclusion!

So with that 30 second player stays in a server you left thing, what about if your game crashes as it has happened to me multiple times??

• Like 1

So with that 30 second player stays in a server you left thing, what about if your game crashes as it has happened to me multiple times??

You stay in game 30 seconds.

• Like 2