Mays (DayZ)

So why do people refuse being held up?

this never happened to me but I would chose to be killed, rather than have some streamer record me being held

• Like 2

Looks a little like a pair of transgender individuals. I'd still run

yeah...just too good to be truth..probably duckling fags

I better die then allow some cocsuker to do some thing to me. You ppl just stupid or do not understand how it is heppens in real life. I just wonder the stupidity i read from internet from the time i first used it in my life.

And this is what the DayZ community has come to.

The game ain't real life tho. You need to walk a dog outside or something. get out getout

Very constructive of you.

To OP:

I think it's a combination of variables here. Newer/fresh spawns don't have much of anything to lose. For this reason:

- They don't mind dying as much. Might even get a good spawn out of it.

- There is a chance that they can get the upper hand and get your gear or at least escape.

- You might not have ammo (as far as they know)

These three points are magnified by the following:

-Out of the times I've been held up and complied, only once was I not killed afterwards anyway.

I can see why people would rather not give their undamaged gear away to someone who they think will kill them anyway. In the future, I hope more will be done to make players value their life beyond gear and location. Considering DayZ's an "authentic" game, something down the line surely needs to make the idea of death more authentic.

Edited by solodude23

Why would they stop and put their hands up?

So you can handcuff them, waste their time, force feed them a rotten kiwi, or inject poison into them?

All while they are running to Balota, the NE airfield, etc?

Unless you're a cute Japanese schoolgirl in thigh-highs, F off with your hands up and handcuffing. I'd rather run and take my chances. Usually, they are a shit shot and can't hit me anyways. Worst case, I spawn in a better spot and without you near me. Win win, I say.

Do you look like this? No? Then I'm running.

School_girls_teacher_Costume_Cosplay_Jap

I still love your boobs :P :D

• Like 1

Very lol! Just happened to me but wasn't my first encounter with bandits.

I have a new hypothesis.

I was wandering through the forest on my way westwards, as I am pending central-east-west due to the love of loneliness and hate of people(s) at all. All of a sudden I heard many voices, stopp!, hands up!, no movement! And that shocked me so much.

My reaction was to press alt+F4, and to shut down my computer immediately full of panic.

I repeat; I shut down my machine!

I think some people do not flee from encounter with bandits by purpose, they are the people who would shit themselves in real-life due to panic and loss of anal muscle-power. Maybe crossed with this juvenile experience of parents entering the room, when having special internet-sites on.

Sorry bandits, I would have shared some fancy stuff with you, due to I do not use/like projectile weapons at all.

Next time!

• Like 1

Very constructive of you.

To OP:

I think it's a combination of variables here. Newer/fresh spawns don't have much of anything to lose. For this reason:

- They don't mind dying as much. Might even get a good spawn out of it.

- There is a chance that they can get the upper hand and get your gear or at least escape.

- You might not have ammo (as far as they know)

These three points are magnified by the following:

-Out of the times I've been held up and complied, only once was I not killed afterwards anyway.

I can see why people would rather not give their undamaged gear away to someone who they think will kill them anyway. In the future, I hope more will be done to make players value their life beyond gear and location. Considering DayZ's an "authentic" game, something down the line surely needs to make the idea of death more authentic.

I don't handcuff the bare newspawns, I just want to know they can comply to me so I know they're decent enough to live. However if they have better clothes and a melee weapon, I'd expect them to not want to lose their gear. I had a pistol a few days ago and asked the guy with a pistol (with ammo!) to put his hands up and he did. I looted him, told him how to get out and left. I don't /want/ to kill people, I'm trying not to be a 100% dick

• Like 1

Looks a little like a pair of transgender individuals. I'd still run

Come on man, it's no different then trying to drink a cup of coffee with the spoon still there :X

Have fun with that mental image lol

Edited by Ineedscoffee
  • Like 6

So basically (some) people here use some sense of "honor" or fear being "abused" in a vidya game and instead prefer going on a rampage instead of being captured. Guess what? If you say there's a chance to survive because you'd die anyway, then there's also a chance to survive by complying. If you attack the people that hold you up without sufficient luck or weapons you are dead. That's easy to see once such a situation unfolds. You lose it all, start with 0. If you do comply, you might also die but then again perhaps not.

Please don't complain about KOS then if people don't try to hold up people anymore because they all go apeshit just because someone could have power in a game over them for some time.

It's not really productive in the end, and anyone with some sense of logic or security will prevent you from striking first once they hold you up.

And guess what?

Running at everyone trying to communicate to kill them is also not that productive. Could be helpful people sometimes, sometimes not.

Fact is, if they get the jump on you and try to hold you up they're likely in a superior position already.

Comply or die then.

• Like 2

I try not to KoS (as mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164425-being-a-bandit-that-doesnt-kos-feels-good/#entry1661245) but even doing that gets you shit on. People that have either no gear, or just a melee weapon refuse to put their hands up. I tend not to try it with people with high end gear, because they'll know I'm around and usually they just sit holding down their sight, but I don't see why people are refusing to put their hands up so I can put the handcuffs on. It's either that or I kill you, so you pick what you want. I've had to kill 5 people today because they're defying my relatively friendly (for a bandit at least) request. I don't want to kill you, I want to rob you and let you live so you don't have to run back to where you were.

If it's because you don't want to feel under threat or weak, well that's pathetic. Would you honestly rather die than get held up in real life? It doesn't emotionally wreck me and irritate me, I'm just confused. I don't mind killing people if I have to, I'd just rather not if you're actually a nice-ish guy.

Might be ego related, they refuse the humiliation, they simply decide "i'm not gonna deal with this guy since i don't have to (alt F4)".

Yeah I don't understand it either. Me and my friends have these little operations where we go out and make people comply to what we say, we even offer rewards if they do what we tell them. It's never anything harmful like "kill this other guy" or "eat this rotten food", typically I run around pantless telling them to free themselves and go pantless, resulting in us shooting the pair of evil pants that they have surrendered and giving them supplies for their journey. Yet they still refuse to comply, even when it gives them a good laugh and free loot.

Hell one time we had the same guy refuse to comply three times to read the book we gave him, going so far as to suicide in order to not read it. In his defense, it was the "Vindication of the Rights of Women", so I can understand his reluctance...

Edited by Hikurac
  • Like 4

Well, some people are apparently ... stupid or very insistent? I dunno, man.

It's DayZ. Crazy people left and right.

Well the people in this thread seem to hate being held up, so I guess they prefer being KoS'd? Oh wait no, they don't, they whine about that too. Might as well just KoS if people seem this way about it.

• Like 1

Think of it this way

You're a new spawn and someone holds you up. 

You have very little to lose in death, and a lot to gain if you manage to knock the person out and steal some of their gear.

It makes sense to try your luck as a new spawn.

• Like 1

I try not to KoS (as mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164425-being-a-bandit-that-doesnt-kos-feels-good/#entry1661245) but even doing that gets you shit on. People that have either no gear, or just a melee weapon refuse to put their hands up. I tend not to try it with people with high end gear, because they'll know I'm around and usually they just sit holding down their sight, but I don't see why people are refusing to put their hands up so I can put the handcuffs on.

The question is why are you holding up completely new spawns. Whats the point, if you find the answer to that then you will find the reason why no one wants to stick around and let you hold them up.

• Like 5

I'm never been held up but if you got the drop on me, I'd comply to a certain stage.. Want me to put my hands up and turn around.. No worries, drop my gun and pack.. Sure, handcuff me? Not a fucking chance. 95% of the time, cuffs will he a death sentence.. I'll tell you that as well.. So you have the choice, loot me uncuffed or I'll go for my backup piece and force you to kill me and loot all my ruined ammo and weapons.

• Like 1

Well, you can't be sure that direct chat is always working.

I've had two people walk me down saying nothing and as I turn and run they just gun me down.

You have to communicate right to them, if you're a good communicator, make your intentions very clear.

Say, "I don't want either of us to be hurt, if you put up your hands Or drop everything on the ground I can come and look at it, take what I want and leave you with what I didn't need and possibly something extra if you need it badly."

If you remain vague about your intentions "put your hands up" ofcourse they're not going to trust you.

People know what many people do to handcuffed victims and it is constantly going through their mind when the situations arises.

Well not everyone hold you at gunpoint to replay the mythical scene from deliverance, it's not JUST that, if you can't suffer a little RP where you aren't fully in control you might as well play something else.

• Like 1

The question is why are you holding up completely new spawns. Whats the point, if you find the answer to that then you will find the reason why no one wants to stick around and let you hold them up.

Already said that. I don't hold them up, I just ask them to put their hands up as most of the time they CAN have a gun. If they comply (even if they don't) they live.

I try not to KoS (as mentioned here: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164425-being-a-bandit-that-doesnt-kos-feels-good/#entry1661245) but even doing that gets you shit on. People that have either no gear, or just a melee weapon refuse to put their hands up. I tend not to try it with people with high end gear, because they'll know I'm around and usually they just sit holding down their sight, but I don't see why people are refusing to put their hands up so I can put the handcuffs on. It's either that or I kill you, so you pick what you want. I've had to kill 5 people today because they're defying my relatively friendly (for a bandit at least) request. I don't want to kill you, I want to rob you and let you live so you don't have to run back to where you were.

If it's because you don't want to feel under threat or weak, well that's pathetic. Would you honestly rather die than get held up in real life? It doesn't emotionally wreck me and irritate me, I'm just confused. I don't mind killing people if I have to, I'd just rather not if you're actually a nice-ish guy.

You do realize roughly a million people bought the standalone game. A lot of people do not know how to use the gestures. Hell when I started up again I totally forgot until I looked it up.

Never bind [the hands-up animation] to a key! Death before dishonour!

• Like 1

iv often thought about how combat logging could be fixed. id like to see a 15 second log out time with an animation to show others that your logging out but also with a option to cancel the log out. this way people wont just bail at the first sign of danger.

• Like 1

Ah well, why even complain, Mays?

If people do not cooperate or attack when someone tells them to stop or surrender, then they can eat lead with the small chance to overcome the attacker(s). But that's often unlikely if said people have a basic sense of logic and security measures.

In that moment these people have no one to blame but themselves if they die because of attacking / not cooperating. Attacking, complying, fleeing. These are decisions they make. With all consequences, benefits, disadvantages, whatever.

As far as hold-ups go.. If you want my gear, or anything I may have on my person, you're going to half to forcefully take it.  Anytime I come across a bandit, robbing a bambi, or whoever, myself and whoever is running with me will come to the aid of the person being held up.. Without payment.  I am usually stalking the coastal areas these days, looking for those bandit pests.  

But if I am put in the position and have no real weapons to defend myself when encountering a bandit, my fists will go up.   Not my hands..