blurhitz

Do you agree with modding in SA?

Do you agree with modding in SA?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with modding in SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Others...

The sooner modding is available, the sooner the game will be complete by the modders, Dean won't finish the game any time soon, but the modding community will, 10x faster and 10x much much better.

I hope mods are not allowed. You payed money for the game, you should be playing the game the way it's meant to be played, not a modded version of it.

EDIT: To clarify:

"I hope mods are not allowed [at this point in the development]. You payed money for the game [as it is now], you should be playing the game the way it's meant to be played [and testing it to help the development], not a modded version of it. [When the game is fully released, then modding would be okay, but if they were to allow modding any time before the full release, it would most likely hamper the testing process]." 

What I initially said was not very smart at all and I realize this. Being late at night when I posted this originally, I didn't fully think through what I was saying. I am not against modding, but I don't want to see mods released throughout the testing process, seeing as the full release still seems to be a long ways off.

Look at minecraft, mods made the game way better.

If you don't like mods you should go back to playing ARMA2:OA.

The fact that people on the DayZ board of all places would be arguing vehemently against mods is unbelievable.

If you don't like mods you should go back to playing ARMA2:OA.

The fact that people on the DayZ board of all places would be arguing vehemently against mods is unbelievable.

Of course it's believeable, people want their DayZ achievements to have a meaning, saying that you survived 10 days on DayZ 'the modded to hell edition' is absolutely meaningless.

There is always the option of having mods be vetoed by the DayZ team, but then people will scream about totalitarism :)

• Like 1

Of course it's believeable, people want their DayZ achievements to have a meaning, saying that you survived 10 days on DayZ 'the modded to hell edition' is absolutely meaningless.

There is always the option of having mods be vetoed by the DayZ team, but then people will scream about totalitarism :)

Any of there ideas intended features can be axed at this point I kinda hope a guy who is a modder at heart ( does it in his spare time to chill from making dayz) is not going to stop modding lol

As for watered down achievement by playing a modded version lol depends on the modded version doesnt it?? some moddders have been known for making games far harder than the original game id be happy to last 10 days on a server running a modded version that had half the loot and more and tougher zeds but maybe i just want hardcore mode???  with a mod i could get that or that feature that never quite made it into the SA due to time ya da yda a mod might put it in even if it isnt done quite the same way rocket might have if he got to it.

But sure you go on a 24/7 daytime 1000 vehicle etc server than well you are watering it ddown cause your obviously chasing quick loot to just pvp people or what ever it is you wanted lol.

Are you even listening to yourself? "DayZ achievements to mean something"? It's a video game! Someone else playing a video game in a different manner than you has no effect what so ever on how you play or enjoy the game. Mods will be run on different servers, as they were in the DayZ mod, noone will be able to play on the same server as you with a mod that gives him magic powers and apache helicopters with infinite ammo, your case is literally "But when I tell other people that I play DayZ good they might think I was playing with some mods and not be as impressed with my achievements", it is a completely insane and egocentric argument.

If we are to go to my previous argument, how would you feel if someone told you "Playing DayZ is a cop out for people who can't cut it out playing multiplayer ARMA, whenever I tell people I'm good in ARMA they just roll their eyes at me and ask me if it's because I play some lame zombie mod". Utterly. Mental. I'm sorry but you guys are being super weird about this.

'My achievements playing DayZ', I seriously can't believe that an adult might think this is a valid argument.

Edited by AmirDayz
  • Like 1

Are you even listening to yourself? "DayZ achievements to mean something"? It's a video game! Someone else playing a video game in a different manner than you has no effect what so ever on how you play or enjoy the game. Mods will be run on different servers, as they were in the DayZ mod, noone will be able to play on the same server as you with a mod that gives him magic powers and apache helicopters with infinite ammo, your case is literally "But when I tell other people that I play DayZ good they might think I was playing with some mods and not be as impressed with my achievements", it is a completely insane and egocentric argument.

If we are to go to my previous argument, how would you feel if someone told you "Playing DayZ is a cop out for people who can't cut it out playing multiplayer ARMA, whenever I tell people I'm good in ARMA they just roll their eyes at me and ask me if it's because I play some lame zombie mod". Utterly. Mental. I'm sorry but you guys are being super weird about this.

'My achievements playing DayZ', I seriously can't believe that an adult might think this is a valid argument.

Of course it's a video game, a video game that has a reputation for being hard, unforgiving and going slightly against the flow when it comes to instant gratification, people play dwarf fortress to see how long they can stay on top before the game wipe their sorry ass, they aren't looking for a game that comfort their play style.

What is it with gamers these days being convinced that they know better than the people who make games for a living? It's like every game that comes out has to be modded and bent into some weird mutation of itself. If that's not entitlement "your game has to be a framework that i can turn into whatever i want" i don't know what it is.

If you bothered to read my reply more carefully you would have noticed that i avoid the use of "i/me/my" when discussing that sort of things,  so you can drop the personal attacks and go back in your little hole.

If you bothered reading the thread you would have noticed that it deals with the question of "whether mods should be allowed in this game" as in, 'in general' not 'whether you are going to use mods'.

Do you seriously fail to realize that you are talking about a game based on a mod? Rocket was a mission creator and a mo-cap artist before he started working on a mod for a game made by professional game makers. For that purpose, professional game makers are far from infallible.

The argument about 'DayZ is hard' does not lead to 'so mods shouldn't be allowed!'. As pointed out by several posters, there were several mods that made DayZ a lot harder than Vanilla, such as DayZero and 2017. And let me blow your mind, once private hives are allowed (as they are 100% going to be) server owners won't need modding tools to change the difficulty of the game, increase spawn rates or even give players starting M4s and let everyone spawn in NWAF if they want, that has nothing to do with mods, so once again, your argument against mods from a difficulty perspective is simply completely irrelevant.

People being stubborn about this issue is ridiculous given that Rocket (the 'professional video game maker', yes?) had already stated that there is definitely going to be mod support in this game, seems like that one dude didn't forget where he came from and what this game actually is.

Very true, but I don't want the standalone to be the same way the mod was with several different mods of the mod with more people playing the mods and not the vanilla. You have a fair point.

This.

DayZ started out as a mod (which we know as vanilla) but I see most people will be playing mods like Epoch these days, but I'm pretty sure SA will be taking influence from these popular mods such as the base buildings and adding the best in a much more developed form into SA without the insane amount of high tech weapons I keep seeing in these youtube videos.

A DayZ SA with a huge map (bigger than the current) incorporating cold areas with Namalsk-esque cold environment and temperatures to a large island way off the coast you would have to get to by chopper, plane or boat, a form of base building (not quite as insane as epoch's), weapons we would realistically see in this situation and location with well thought out and logical spawns combined with the new health system, medical equipment, food crafting, illnesses, vehicles, zombie hordes etc... I don't see why we would need mods, it only splits the community.

However you will look at it. Mods are great for games and people will create all sorts of cool stuff for them if the modding is allowed. Like for crying out loud Shogun 2 AI was totally derpy and it was quite unrealistic arcade style of a game. Slap a mod on it and AI suddenly became way smarter, challenging and also it became bit more realistic in various ways.

So yes, modding is always quite good for games. And after the game will be finished mods would keep most likely popping up, adding more interesting ideas and twists into the base game. How is this bad then? If some mod is not good for you, just ignore it and play the base game?

I played the mod for a lot of time, and I remember quite well when it started to die because of mods people made, like Epoch. After some months, there were almost NO vanilla servers in the mod. All I could do was wait until SA.

I don't know if I'm against modding, I never really thought if I was or not, I'm just worried if the same thing that happened to the mod will happen to SA... =/

So, what are your thoughts?

yes! most of the mods were made by people that wanted heavy weapons and lots of mayhams. 

i want realism, or to be honest rather authentic gameplay instead of tanks, apcs, weird ass mission and shitty base building.

I would like to see some kind of encampment possibility in the SA but only something that allows you to store items, something to block a passage or road and maybe something that gives you cover.

(improvised tank traps, sandbags filled with dirt f.e., tents, storage boxes that you can hide better than tents (will stop tree glitching), MAYBE camo nets and punji traps.)

I think modding will also mean there's less incentive for the devs to make improvements to the game that are popular because people will mod it in already.

I think modding will also mean there's less incentive for the devs to make improvements to the game that are popular because people will mod it in already.

That would just make it seem that the devs are really really lazy and not really deserving to be the making gmaes. They need to be making the game into finished product no matter what. And also here if the mods would be made during the development period maybe the devs would take some popular ideas and mods to implement them in base game. Like I think Starbound has this happening, people mod the game, some mods are really good and popular so the devs end up trying to add that feature into the base game.

No, mods will ultimately END this game. It will cause the community to be divided up so badly that people will just end up quitting. Look at the DayZ mod for example...too much variety killed it.

• Like 1

Yes, Without mods on Arma who would buy that game? Dayz mod would never been so popularly without mods, You can't play dayz that long without getting board doing same stuff. People saying "No mods" Get real! 

No, keep the standalone free from other mods. People can mod the mod if they want to mod.

mod mod mod mod.

Like there is plenty of people saying NO to modding. So what if it would be moddable and people liking the mods would move on to the modded versions? You still seemingly would have quite a bit people play the unmodded standalone version if you so prefer?

• Like 1

No, keep the standalone free from other mods. People can mod the mod if they want to mod.

mod mod mod mod.

But your saying "Keep Standalone free from mods" but if it wasn't for mods Dayz would not be here today if Arma had same brain as half you dum asses do right now!

You can get board of dayz fast mod/SA fast doing same stuff. But mods you have BR ect... Which is really fun.

But your saying "Keep Standalone free from mods" but if it wasn't for mods Dayz would not be here today if Arma had same brain as half you dum asses do right now!

You can get board of dayz fast mod/SA fast doing same stuff. But mods you have BR ect... Which is really fun.

We can discuss past events "ad vitam eternam", DayZ is in no obligation to return the favor.

Need to look at it this way, mods may get the guys who want to play CoDZ off of the standard servers. Like it or not mods will come and if they ruin the game then I only wasted $30

I do not get why people view mods as the devils tool of getting some high tech space weaponry!? Mods can for example improve the AI of zombies perhaps, make them more dangerous, make the game way harder than the standalone ever will be? There is so many options and that is why mods are good. Like.. did Natural Selection or Counter-Strike mods back in the day destroy Half-Life?

I do not get why people view mods as the devils tool of getting some high tech space weaponry!? Mods can for example improve the AI of zombies perhaps, make them more dangerous, make the game way harder than the standalone ever will be? There is so many options and that is why mods are good. Like.. did Natural Selection or Counter-Strike mods back in the day destroy Half-Life?

Point me to a server that doesn't give you everything off the start. Most people don't care about mods improving graphics, animations and sounds. Most are worried about the mods handing weapons and vehicles out like candy