blurhitz

Do you agree with modding in SA?

Do you agree with modding in SA?  

341 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with modding in SA?

• Yes
    • No
    • Others...

I'm not personally against modding as long as it's not to benefit the players who just want things handed to them

I agree and well look forward to say 3 years time when dayz craze has died down those playing the game still are looking for the unique experience that dayz can offer ( not a faster way to gear and pvp well not even pvp kos lol ).

I know if given the chance to mod it i would mod it in a way that would make me have to work my ass off for my gear for survival be sitting looking at guys in the distance going i have only 3 bullets left do i waste it on him risking getting nothing for it and drawing a zombie horde on my butt for doing it.

Oh wait i have crafted a bow i can make more arrows ( time consuming but possible)

i could try take them out with this or heck he may have that one item i have looked for maybe he will trade maybe he is a bandit and i should waste one of my bullets as opposed to person kill him i have 500 bullets on me if i loose fighting him ill gear up again in 30 minutes . 

i do not believe that was the experience Rocket was going for when he thought of making dayz originaly it certainly didnt feel like that was the idea early in the mods life when loot was hard to find zeds seemed deadly and some people were fighting for life and still some were fighting to kill others for that hard to find loot etc.

I agree and well look forward to say 3 years time when dayz craze has died down those playing the game still are looking for the unique experience that dayz can offer ( not a faster way to gear and pvp well not even pvp kos lol ).

I know if given the chance to mod it i would mod it in a way that would make me have to work my ass off for my gear for survival be sitting looking at guys in the distance going i have only 3 bullets left do i waste it on him risking getting nothing for it and drawing a zombie horde on my butt for doing it.

Oh wait i have crafted a bow i can make more arrows ( time consuming but possible)

i could try take them out with this or heck he may have that one item i have looked for maybe he will trade maybe he is a bandit and i should waste one of my bullets as opposed to person kill him i have 500 bullets on me if i loose fighting him ill gear up again in 30 minutes . 

i do not believe that was the experience Rocket was going for when he thought of making dayz originaly it certainly didnt feel like that was the idea early in the mods life when loot was hard to find zeds seemed deadly and some people were fighting for life and still some were fighting to kill others for that hard to find loot etc.

Heh, I played the mod when it originally came out and I have never experienced that type of rush ever in a video game.  Lol, I remember one time crawling all the way to Cherno with my buddy because we were at the Balota tents and it was night and couldn't see and ended up breaking or damaging our legs on barbed wire.  We crawled for for about an hour or longer only to get attacked by zombies as soon as we got into Cherno.  We died.  It was sad

• Like 1

Heh, I played the mod when it originally came out and I have never experienced that type of rush ever in a video game.  Lol, I remember one time crawling all the way to Cherno with my buddy because we were at the Balota tents and it was night and couldn't see and ended up breaking or damaging our legs on barbed wire.  We crawled for for about an hour or longer only to get attacked by zombies as soon as we got into Cherno.  We died.  It was sad

A rush yes one that is hard for a game to produce a real sense of danger fear even... I am not sure while the game sits mainstream it will produce such thrills or as many of them i look forward as i say to a much MUCH smaller community who want to play Dayz.

I hope i am wrong its alpha and all ,long way to go but with the menality of the larger player base being the object of the game is to loot as fast as possible to gear up and kill as many people as possible it loses that initial thrill well for me it does.

Hence i believe the mod id like to make would not be popular main stream wise it may be liked by those few who wish to play Dayz or not only time and the chance to do it would tell......

Edit so the reason many have against modding isnt actually against modding it is really about the mentality of people in the majority playing it eg looking for the easy way quick loot.

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

We should always support modding no matter what game. Though I would rather see epoch etc focused on arma3 as this game will look pretty dated in a few years time.

The danger arises with completely new players who might think they want a certain experience. Someone who has never played "true DayZ" might not know what the experience is really like and immediately assume it's not their thing because of some articles or online reviews they read, so they immediately flock to modified servers and never give the base game a chance. Perhaps if they had tried it out they would have found it to their liking after all, and changed their mind about the base experience, but given the range of mods available never actually play the base game. That's bad in my opinion.

It has the ability to do both. It can expand the player base, but it can also limit it in certain ways.

I support mods, but I think they should be limited in scope and type. I do not feel that players should have the option to play on "100 vehicles, all rocket launchers, no gravity, glow-in-the-dark underpants" servers, or "all thermal snipers, 10 million player health" servers, etc.

I realize this is a bit of a necropost, but rather than start a new thread I figured I would add to this discussion when I read an article today about Rust in which Garry Newman is quoted making a point very close to my own with respect to modding and how it can have a diluting or confusing effect on new players, and how it's important to balance your desire to give players freedom with the need to preserve the core vision or intent of the game's design.

Rust is the latest Steam Early Access game to make loads of money

"People have kind of started modding the servers already, but in a way...this is something we're focussing on. We kind of want to make the game we want to make right now, we don't want to give lots of people tools because we know that what they'll do is make people turn red if you kill someone and stuff like that. It kind of compromises it."

"We don't mind what people do on the modded servers, but we don't want to confuse new players about what the game's about, in a way," he concluded.

If you give people an option of pure survival, or straight PVP..they're going to head to the servers where there are more barracks than barns.

That's DayZ. Everyone wants high end gear and doesn't want to work for it.

Speak for yourself. I'll take pure survival every time. And I'm not the only one.